Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge will fail in the west...

GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

... at least in the EU if Frogster runs it.

Frogster have shown themselves utterly incompetent when running other games, including recently Tera, for which they are simply unable to keep servers up and running, have no support, no moderation, no content patches, no communication - and where even their billing system is broken.

EU Tera is already dead, and would have died even if the game was utterly flawless in NA/Korea.

And I have just heard Frogster have petitioned to run ArcheAge in the EU.

Do not let it happen.

Tell everyone to never let Frogster run ArcheAge, or it will die, 100% guaranteed, just check Tera forums right now or any other game they have run, they are all dead.

Comments

• JohnR13JohnR13 Member UncommonPosts: 2

TERA is a fine game that could easily be properous in EU given some more end-content, some EU players are actully rerolling to NA servers.

Frogster made this happen as the OP says, if they get archeage too then iam afraid nothing can save this game as well.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

Me, i don't blame publisher. I played Tera beta and there is few things i didn't like (bad clipping, no raid system, no target fight not that fun actually, something i cannot explain the world is big but small and narrow...)

Concerning Archeage, personnally, i wait to see if they have pve/pvp servers. At the moment i am a pure pve fan (even if instancied pvp does't bother me) and the game (in korea) seems to be a pk/ free pvp system so i am hesitating.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Meh, Tera aint even doing that well in the US or Korea, so I'd say it's the game more than anything.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Forgive me because I may be wrong but wouldn't it be more likely to succeed over here in the west? I wasn't aware that the sandbox theme really appealed to the east that much. I think Tera also didn't do so well because it doesn't really appeal to either the east or the west. It seems to me that it tried to appeal to both and because of that appealed to neither.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I want to see what this game offers before I make up my mind on it.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Forgive me because I may be wrong but wouldn't it be more likely to succeed over here in the west?

Wishful thinking... while historical evidence would state that eastern aesthetics is all it takes to turn away western gamers.

Layman's Terms; "It looks too Asian. Hurf Durf".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

1 developer, 1 publisher. Worldwide.

But nooooo.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by GTwander

Forgive me because I may be wrong but wouldn't it be more likely to succeed over here in the west?

Wishful thinking... while historical evidence would state that eastern aesthetics is all it takes to turn away western gamers.

Makes sense. I wonder why a select few asian games can attract a western audience then. I suppose Final Fantasy does a good job on not looking too asian.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah just no frogsterm, no bigpoint, no nexon, no WB-turbine or any other cr*p company please.

Actually I never though I will say that NCSoft would be very relatively good choice.

Or just self-publish by XLGames...

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I wish XLGames would, but I don't think they have the resources to do so. NCSoft will handle things in Europe I think. This was already discussed in the past. As far as N.A. who knows.

Plus the game won't be released till early 2014 (for NA), so there is still time.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    I wish XLGames would, but I don't think they have the resources to do so.

True that. Though situation may be diffrent is game become great success in Korea / Asia, which is does hava a chance.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

ArcheAge is quite a bit different than Tera and should do well but you never know. Companies do like driving their games into the ground these days.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• HeracliusHeraclius Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

... at least in the EU if Frogster runs it.Frogster have shown themselves utterly incompetent when running other games, including recently Tera, for which they are simply unable to keep servers up and running, have no support, no moderation, no content patches, no communication - and where even their billing system is broken.EU Tera is already dead, and would have died even if the game was utterly flawless in NA/Korea.And I have just heard Frogster have petitioned to run ArcheAge in the EU.Do not let it happen.Tell everyone to never let Frogster run ArcheAge, or it will die, 100% guaranteed, just check Tera forums right now or any other game they have run, they are all dead.

Another bullshit topic...

Hmm, what to say this time?
    1. We don't need people like you creating doom scenarios: if then...
    2. How the hell would you come up with Frogster, they just did a major investment in Tera, also see 1.
    3. 'Tell everyone...', like anyone is going to listen to that, these deals are made behind closed doors.
    4. Very misleading and demotivating topic title.

Sorry for the unstructured list, typed this on my tablet.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

What I cannot stand when a different publisher jumps on board is when they lag months behind with patches and often even have a totally different payment structure (usually some shyte points system with a craptastic company).

My philosophy with games is the same in life ... I don't do sloppy seconds.

You stay sassy!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I didn't bought Tera because Frogster were runing it.....................and I wasn't wrong

If GW2 doesn't release soon, I will probably buy Tera from Enmasse, since I actually liked the game.

Anyway, I really hope NCSoft will publish Archeage in EU and NA since the producer created Lineage they should be in good terms.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Lineage 2 had a few million subscribers at one point, as did lineage 1. If it's a good game, people will play it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Lineage 2 had a few million subscribers at one point, as did lineage 1. If it's a good game, people will play it.

True, but that was back during a time when there was a lot less competition to spread the population about, as well as "hard decisions to make" concerning multiple products being released simultaneously.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If the game is as good as people say it is. It'll do fine.

I'm not a huge fan of Frogster, but they are not the only reason for TERA's decline. Even the NA servers lost a lot of people. The game just simply lacks enough content / endgame to keep people playing. Quite a few people have posted about this on these forums. And with this latest cash shop news, on top of the sub & box price, even more fans do not seem to be happy.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I don't know about Frogster, but TERA's problem is FROGSTER.  Played it; it's a line.

fixed

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Zekiah

ArcheAge is quite a bit different than Tera and should do well but you never know. Companies do like driving their games into the ground these days.

archeage is MILES dif than tera there is no comparison at all

played both games and archeage is simply amazing...the sandbox lovers will love this game

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

We aint even going to see this game for at least 2 years..

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

This game is exactly what i have been waiting for since SWG closed down. All the other crap mmo's that have come out since just are not true epic mmorpg's to me, more like console rpgs with lots of eye candy you have to pay for.

I just hope they dont make it all kiddy and cartoonish with little pedofile 12 year old girl toons running all over like most the asian games :/

• BrainDeadGBrainDeadG Member Posts: 30

That's basicually like telling everyone who made these games in their respected countries:

"Hey, we don't like that you use feminine type-characters in your games and culture! Stop making them!"

The same could be said

"Hey, we don't like you have semi-ugly gritty characters in your game, stop making them!"

It's not the feminine petite characters that are the problem(and there is a growing amount of ladies who are into lolita fashion and do not mind expressing cuteness or girlishness or even having that teddy bear, even LADY GAGA got a teddy-bear), it's the type of people out in this world who are the problem and it's unfortunate it has taken an impact on the fictional world of gaming. Resulting that even the exsistance of these characters are subjected to demonization and disgust.

Most of the players I know who play these characters are equally female, not a bunch of wrinkly old 60 year old basement dwellers. Many of them have their own gaming blogs. It's not fair that they should be judge wrongfully because of biased assumptions created by others.

I can play Spirit Tale as a petite character without any problems or even AION and plenty of those asian rpg's and mmo's. Is the market just too macho-influenced over here?

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Has Europe ever had a good publishing/hosting company for a non-EU based MMO company?  This is a serious question, not rhetorical smartass-ity.  I can't seem to recall ever reading anything but negative experiences when dealing with EU hosting companies.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Actually, I think it may do quite well here in the west.  There really aren't any other popular sandbox games right now.  

And the breadth and depth of gameplay seems like it has something for everyone.