Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few computer part questions. (PLEASE HELP)

Comments

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by poly229

And that will work with my current motherboard and processor and all of that confusing non sense?

Assuming the motherboard is a standard form factor, yes.  But I wouldn't be entirely certain of that.  Emachines is an ultra-low end cheap junk brand that will cut costs any way they can.  My guess is that you probably have a Micro ATX motherboard, in which case, it will work with either case just fine.  But you should probably check to make sure.  The name of the motherboard is presumably printed on the motherboard itself.

Ok great, I guess it's better to double check so I'll yank apart my computer again and try to find what motherboard I have - Before I do that though I'm going to download this program that's supposed to tell me. And I like the first link you gave me: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.976568 because that's the power supply I need and the case matches my mouse :)

Oh I also entered that giveaway that's going on, on the main page of this website for the motherboard, hope I win lol.

Does this tell you anything about my motherboard: Board: eMachines EMCP73VT-PM 

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: AMI P01-A1 09/14/2009

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The first line is the motherboard model.  Apparently it's ECS, which is a cheap junk brand--and thus about what I'd expect Emachines to use.  It sure looks like Micro ATX to me, so yeah, it should fit pretty much any case.

So you're saying I should really get a new motherboard too? Aren't those pricey? I'd like something that's atleast on par with my graphics card, and that will fit everything in my computer in it, without blowing up.. lol.

Not really.  As long as the motherboard works, you might as well keep it.  At some point, you'll want to replace the motherboard, processor, and memory all at once (a more modern processor will require a newer processor socket and newer memory type), but you might as well wait until either the processor performance isn't good enough, or one of those parts fails.

Ok great, so I'll order: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.976568 - And hopefully that will help my gaming.

Now which part of my computer do I have to change to render videos faster? Currently a 8-10 minute video can take anywhere from 1 hour 30 mins to 3 hours - Which not only is the time ridiculously high it also means NOTHING can be open while it's rendering, which is another problem lmao..

Which, if it helps a 8 minute video is about 800mbs, and a 10 minute video is about 1 gig. I record in 720p, and render it in MP4, I record with an HD PVR from my PS3 to my computer.

Why do I have to pay for shipping on both the products if it's a bundle? It comes out to $196 with shipping on both the items. What is this BS.

Guess nobody knows, neither do I.

Why do I have to pay for shipping on both the products if it's a bundle? It comes out to $196 with shipping on both the items. What is this BS.

Why wouldn't you have to pay for shipping?

But $196 with shipping?  It says it's $4.99 shipping for the case and $13.39 shipping for the power supply.  Add that to the $114.98 base price for the combo and it should come to $133.36, not $196.  Or do you live in some remote part of Canada where shipping costs a lot more?  Or are you trying to get one day shipping rather than the default, slower shipping time?

You could also check the NCIX parts and see what they'll charge you for shipping.

I just don't understand why you have to pay seperate shipping on a bundled item though.

We're just going to look around computer stores next weekend and buy a case and power supply, unfortunately the regular prices on online pieces are nice, but after the ridiculous shipping it barely becomes worth it. Thanks for your support though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Assuming the motherboard is a standard form factor, yes.  But I wouldn't be entirely certain of that.  Emachines is an ultra-low end cheap junk brand that will cut costs any way they can.  My guess is that you probably have a Micro ATX motherboard, in which case, it will work with either case just fine.  But you should probably check to make sure.  The name of the motherboard is presumably printed on the motherboard itself.

Yeah usually, but not the model name. I havn't seen a MB with the modelname on since A-BIT were popular.

Here however is a useful to guide to figure it out. http://pcnineoneone.com/howto/moboid1/

I find it highly unlikely that the board wont work in any good case, the problem usually happens when people try the other way around and put a new MB in their brand case.

We're just going to look around computer stores next weekend and buy a case and power supply, unfortunately the regular prices on online pieces are nice, but after the ridiculous shipping it barely becomes worth it. Thanks for your support though.

Come here and ask about particular parts before you buy them.  Because if you buy a cheap junk power supply, you'll just have to replace it again immediately or risk dead hardware.

If you buy in stores, you'll probably end up a lot more for comparable parts than either of the deals that I linked for you online.

Why wouldn't you have to pay for shipping?

But $196 with shipping?  It says it's $4.99 shipping for the case and $13.39 shipping for the power supply.  Add that to the $114.98 base price for the combo and it should come to $133.36, not $196.  Or do you live in some remote part of Canada where shipping costs a lot more?  Or are you trying to get one day shipping rather than the default, slower shipping time?

You could also check the NCIX parts and see what they'll charge you for shipping.

UPS Standard (Domestic) -- $18.49 (Computer Case) + HST/GST -- $9.55

UPS Standard (Domestic) -- $16.99 (Power Supply) + HST/GST -- $10.01

PLUS the regular prices of the pieces -- $54.99 -- $59.99

Grand Total -- $170.02

Might I add, for almost the exact same products that were only $99 in the USA store, plus they had free shipping.

And I've been warned never to use Purolator, there must be a reason that the price is so low on shipping that to me with Purolator.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

i personally often pay a few extra bucks for buying stuff like PSU, motherboard and memory from local retailers. 2 reasons for that, first it makes it easier if you get  a part that doesn't work (it happens and I build many computers) and secondly so do I think it is a good idea to support local stores.

But try to find a PSU made by someone competent (Corsair, OCZ or Antec are all good choices). The case brand doesn't matter, just try to get one that is pretty large to maximize cooling. :)

And as I said before, min reqs for the PSU is 500W, get a 550-650W depending on what you can find to a nice price. As Quizz said is the brand more important then the wattage as long as it handles the min reqs.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Depending on where in Canada you live there might be a Canada Computers store. I've found that they sometimes have within a $4.00 price range to Newegg... sometimes. Alternatively if you live in the GTA there is a place called Liata and SOMETIMES if you walk in with cash they will give you a reasonable to ridiculous discount. Canada Computers tends to have big event sales too, selling parts for a considerable discount, if online is not an option...

Otherwise stick to Quizz and Loke's suggestions

EDIT: The people at Liata are chinese so haggling may be necessary, high speechcraft skill is a plus+

We're going to order: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.976568 -- For $150.70 using Purolator. Going to get it next week when my cousin gets paid. Hope Purolator is a good choice, with shipping that low..

Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah usually, but not the model name. I havn't seen a MB with the modelname on since A-BIT were popular.

Gigabyte does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521

In this case, just below the top PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

MSI does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130637

In this case, just above the top PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

Asus does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

In this case, just above the bottom PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

AsRock does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

In this case, just below the bottom PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

Biostar does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138352

In this case, just above the top PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot.

ECS does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135308

In this case, between the processor and the memory slots.

EVGA does:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188120

In this case, on the chipset heatsink.

And most importantly, not only does the original poster's motherboard have its model number printed on it, but he found it and reported it earlier in this thread.

Do you guys think my motherboard will run DDR3 Ram?

A website scanner says: DDR PC2-6400 in both my sockets of ram and then it says:  Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 4GB kit (2GBx2) per slot.* So I guess I can only run DDR2?

We're thinking of just rebuilding a whole new PC..