Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA's market valuation is down 50 per cent since November

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Article: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

Thought anyone who is interested in the gaming industry might want to read this article.  Cheers.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There would've been a good chance to short those shares. Don't know if there still is.

Maybe try shorting Funcom shares... Is it public?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Hmmm so EA's share price begins a dramatic nose dive in December 2011...I wonder if any other major event associated with EA happened then as well...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Quirhid

There would've been a good chance to short those shares. Don't know if there still is.Maybe try shorting Funcom shares... Is it public?

I was considering it some time back. Decided against it, shoulda coulda woulda. Funcom I shorted shortly after AoC released and did mighty fine. You need courage to get in early young padwan.
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Article: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

Thought anyone who is interested in the gaming industry might want to read this article.  Cheers.

i hope they got in bankrupt, seriously, it's a matter of time......

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

The stock has resumed the decline it had already been experiencing up until January 2011.

From 23.00 on June 5, 2009 it declined to 15.00 on January 28, 2011 (35% decline) during a 20-month stretch in which it underperformed both the market and its competitors (ATVI, THQI, TTWO, KNM, all of which also underperformed relative to the market).  This of course, was after already coming down from the $50-$60 level when the market crashed during the bank crisis in '08.

The stock then bubbled in 2011, topping 25.00 in July and peaking in November before beginning its decline.  During that 10-month stretch it significantly outperformed both the market and its major competitors (so it wasn't just that it rode consumer gains to 25).   The bubble suggests investors were making bets, probably not just on the success of TOR, but on Origin, which launched in mid 2011.  There was likely some belief that they might "rescue" EA from the rut it had entered. 

When it became obvious that wasn't going to be the case, the gamblers seem to have bailed and the stock quickly corrected down to the level it was already heading to as late as January 2011.

So the story is much longer than just six months. 

TOR may have failed to rescue EA as some investors might have hoped, but it didn't make EA fail.  EA was a company already long in decline.

Mismanagement of IPs, increasing detachment from their consumer base, and an apparent lack of a cohesive sustainable business model for future growth have likely been far more important factors in where EA is at today than anything TOR has done.  TOR is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Now if only they lose the other 50% of their value, they'll be forever unable to buy up any more well-regarded studios and run them into the ground.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

/e gets SWTOR fanboy blinders and puts them on.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...move along.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

"per cent" Haha.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Remember when you played a game and if you didn't like it you just stopped playing?

Now everyone wants to be Gordon Gecko and follow the stocks, what are the investors going to do, bleeblooblaa.

I miss the days when people just played games.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

You create sub-par products with no innovation you keep re-creating a better mouse trap based on your biggest competitors mouse trap with less features and your ship is already sinking.

They're going banckrupt because they just want the fastest path to your wallet. They allow huge amounts of investors cash to be spent on products that are very lackluster and contain nothing more then redundant systems rehashed from 14 years ago. and if they keep consumers from having fun then they need to tank and get a free bailout.

SW:TOR was the biggest let down in AAA MMO history and heads are rolling at BW and other dev houses. in truth EA should have told them don't make another Wow/EQ clone we are looking to innovate with something MMO consumers havent seen before.

But we all know how that went.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Slampig

I miss the days when people just played games.

So do I, back then, people were either playing the game, or talking about it on a forum.

Today, they go to a forum to complain about people who complain about games...I mean really...talk about being VERY VERY bored! At least those complaining have stopped playing and have nothing to do...but those guys complaining about complainers are playing...and complaining!

Times have changed...heh.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Already a thread on this as posted above. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354944/EAs-stock-plummets.html

Moved to General Gaming forum as it's not really MMO-specific.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.