Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Korea

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Over the past 2 months K-Tera has been in a massive nosedive in subs.

http://gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8023

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=7047

April 2012 = 134,717
May 2012 = 92,580 -31.3% decrease

Now that Blade and Soul is in Open Beta the numbers have just fallen off the map.

April = 134,717
May = 92,580
June 1st week = 67,931
June 2nd week = 63,099

http://tera.hangame.com/news/notice.nhn?bbsid=942&docid=4652235

Because of the massive losses, BHS has announced that starting on June 28th there will be server merges across the board. All 13 servers will be affected.
*BHS hasn't given exact details at this time, but it looks like it's gonna be big.

BHS has also announced that they will be opening up a Free to Play server starting on July 4th. The lvl cap will be lvl 50 only. BHS has stated that this is only an test, so the server will only be up for 4 weeks, ending on July 26 th. This Free to play server will have different rules and items.
*My guess is they are trying to see if Tera can work as a FTP game.

Lastly the QOA part 2 patch that was suppose to come out at the end of summer will now get pushed ahead and will release on July 4th in K-TERA.
*Actually this is good news if your a Tera fan, but I worry that this is a desperate move to save the game, and the patch might be buggy.

I like Tera but things are not looking good right now...:(

Will Tera make it into 2013 ? Will it be FTP by then ?

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Just comes to show that a game cannot thrive on innovative combat alone.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Out of curiosity, what financial method does it employ in Korea itself?

Is it a standard sub there as well? Or is it pay-by-hour, etc?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by GTwander

Out of curiosity, what financial method does it employ in Korea itself?Is it a standard sub there as well? Or is it pay-by-hour, etc?

Last I checked like a pay as you go but holy shit that's a decrease wow
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

korea have both monthly and by time, ragnarok had it too here where I live when lan houses was popular, with in korea still is.

but based on that notice, nothing new, I hardly find combat in tera inovative, DDO had a inovative combat and itws what it is today.

tera had several problems in korea, so you telling me they are losing even more players when new game come is not a surprise,

funny,  aion is having problems now on us and eu but in korea its still the first one

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Out of curiosity, what financial method does it employ in Korea itself?Is it a standard sub there as well? Or is it pay-by-hour, etc?

You can buy 3 hours, 30 hours, 30 days or 90 days. You can also use a currency called T-Cat coins (these are kinda like veteran rewards) to buy time as well.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Out of curiosity, what financial method does it employ in Korea itself?

Is it a standard sub there as well? Or is it pay-by-hour, etc?

You can buy 3 hours, 30 hours, 30 days or 90 days. You can also use a currency called T-Cat coins (these are kinda like veteran rewards) to buy time as well.

Do the 30/90 days only count down during actual play? Or is that like our western version of subs?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Kumapon   Originally posted by GTwander Out of curiosity, what financial method does it employ in Korea itself?   Is it a standard sub there as well? Or is it pay-by-hour, etc?
    Do the 30/90 days only count down during actual play? Or is that like our western version of subs?

Tera is like the western design, if you pay for 30 days, you get 30 days.

• SeleniteSelenite Member UncommonPosts: 38

Just as mentioned before, its hard to say how it will affect EU/US because in Korea the popularity among games shift quite differently then anywhere else. Aion is top nr1 in Korea while here its almaost abandoned and games like archage and blade and soul will take forever to come out in us/eu as well.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I love Tera. I think it is an amazing game. Now with that said. Tera does not have a lot ot do at end game and Blade & Soul has so many similaritys it is natural for one bored to move onto this game. Which I myself will do. I still think Tera is great and do not plan on unsubbing for a long time. No other game really interests me right now. The combat in Tera is good enough to keep me until BnS.

I do feel Tera will do good in US. Better then Korea. Just because 1 market doesn't play it as much. Doesn't mean all will follow suit. Korea has a TON of games we do not have. There market is way more saturated.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

So I guess their plan to launch in the us is not doing as well as they hoped. I knew they were in trouble in Korea, and they were expanding hoping to get a bigger piece of the pie.  So they are still hurting.

So whats driving the player base off in Korea?  I know I tried it and hated it the right off the bat, I am glad I had a free beta key as after a few hours I knew the game was not for me.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

This has nothing to do with US Tera. Your speculations are incorrect.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• hopenottakenhopenottaken Member Posts: 38

I guess server merging was delayed so much because of NA/EU launch.

Also, lol F2P lol. I guess we will see it going full F2P before 2013.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Selenite

Just as mentioned before, its hard to say how it will affect EU/US because in Korea the popularity among games shift quite differently then anywhere else. Aion is top nr1 in Korea while here its almaost abandoned and games like archage and blade and soul will take forever to come out in us/eu as well.

huh?

aion is doing pretty well now at least in europe...since it went f2p

after 2 weeks they open a new server CONSTANT full till now

then not a while ago they opened another server again

and this summer the long awaited patch 3.0 is coming so expect many ppl to come back.

aion do better since it went f2p and the population keeps rising

as for blade and soul...expect a more kung fu linear SP game than a TRUE mmo

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I was going to play FFXIV but I decided to try Tera now, at least until Gw2 comes out.

I was struggling to read the Korean website listed in the first post :x but isn't that actually about Korean internet cafe players or something, and not subscriber numbers?

Maybe I misunderstood the site.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Well, enmasse changes things regularly -- what you are seeing here might just make a larger severing between K-Tera and Tera.  This might be for the better in some ways because I think I trust enmasse more when it comes down to creating battlegrounds maps. 

Originally posted by amber-r

I was going to play FFXIV but I decided to try Tera now, at least until Gw2 comes out.

I was struggling to read the Korean website listed in the first post :x but isn't that actually about Korean internet cafe players or something, and not subscriber numbers?

Gametrics is a consulting firm (there are a lot of them around) for gaming in S Korea and I guess they have some kind of agreement with Internet Café companies to gather usage data.

Since internet café is a really popular way of gaming in S Korea it's linked to the popularity of the game. If it's sinking like a rock in those charts you can be sure it's doing badly.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by amber-r

FFXIV version 2 will be what ffxiv was suposed to be at launch so wait til lversion 2 goes live

they changing the whole game from the ground.

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

I find the game very nice to play and it will be a decent game to play whist I wait for GW2. It has no end game at all though at present so keep that in mind. En masse are very good Frogster on the otherhand well lets just say I play US En Masse not Frogster EU purely because they are so poor.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I feel bad for Tera in Korea, not sure what this has to do with the NA version of Tera.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I was thinking quite hard about FFXIV and i hope it does well when they remake it.  I did like the grafics and thougth it was very pretty, but I dont think it's for me :x Ill look in on it when they relaese the new one maybe^^  Sadly my friends said they will only play final fantasy till GW2 comes out if it is free and I was told on another forum that we would have to pay.

Tera looks very nice from what we have seen so we are gonna to try that, looks fun ;D

oh! I'm sorry to ask this here, I shoudl make a new topic really but I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me.  Is there a better place to buy the game for Europe? we want to get the best offer or special items or something? could anyone tell me where we can buy to get the extra items, I read something about only certain shops giving them? some cute spectacles and  hats we saw ^^

Originally posted by Wakygreek

I feel bad for Tera in Korea, not sure what this has to do with the NA version of Tera.

No subs in its own country = no money = no investors = no futher games or updates

Not a single korean game has been more successful outside KR than in its own country.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by hopenottaken
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

No subs in its own country = no money = no investors = no futher games or updates

Not a single korean game has been more successful outside KR than in its own country.

Pretty much. Outside factors on how healthy the game is doing directly impacts everyone globally, whether NA/EU/KR/JP. I am actually surprised that South Korea decided to start servicing F2P servers so soon. I was expecting JP to go first. They are doing much much worse than South Korea at the moment.

They started off with 40k simultaneous players and eventually dropped to 20k down to around 7.5k when they did the server merge. But the numbers have steadily dropped to the point where they have reached 4010 today. If things continue this way they will go below the 4k mark for simultaneous log ins probably by next week.

Source on weekly simultaneous log ins:

Source on hourly simultaneous log ins:

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Well bad or K-Tera although idk how it really effect us. Korean are more used to F2P than we are, most Korean mmorpgs are F2P, and their game market is vastly larger than ours. Also QOA pt2 pushed up to july 4th is good, means we probabaly getting it here very soon as well. We will see how it does  in Na. Also wtf does blade and soul have to do with any of this at all o.o?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

Well bad or K-Tera although idk how it really effect us. 

Aion and Lineage 2 were kept running in US/EU solely because of the korean subs.   Theres little reason to think TERA ultaimtely will do any better here (and both Aion and L2 before f2p were doing numbers less than a game like SWG was doing when it closed).  Without Korean subs, TERA does not get developed.  

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

Also wtf does blade and soul have to do with any of this at all o.o?

IT's aimed to the same kind of players.

Pretty bad news overall for Tera. I thought the subs bleeding was kind of stopped in Korea. They were low but at least they didn't decline.

Diablo 3 must have hurt a lot and B&S is coming next month. BHS must be pretty desperate by now. They are trying the F2P route before EU Tera! Who would have thought of that?

And yes if KTera goes F2P the same will happen to USTera and EuTera. It goes without saying. Enmasse is a BHS subsidiary and Frogster would be more than happy to shift to f2p