Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera Not worth the Time or effort

BlackthornedBlackthorned Member Posts: 14

Please if you ever listen to one random post on a forum listen to this. 

Do not spend money on this game. You will regret every penny of it after you reach cap in almost no time at all due to the fact that they "westernized" the lvling process and the quests and exp from hunting are massive. To some this sounds like a plus how it is by far one of the biggest downfalls of the game. After you reach cap you literally have nothing to do but 10 daily quests, repeadetly farm the same 2 dungeons for gold and equipment and spend said gold and equipment in an RNG system that fails more than it works and leaves you not only broke but discouraged. To top it all off the equipment upgrade system is not the only RNG system in the game. To obtain progress in skills after cap you need special glyphs that require hours and hour and hours of farming to possibly get a glyph you need or possibly 30 silver worth of drops. And to add insult to injury farming reputation is another month long process or longer depending on the faction and nets you class specific rings that due to RNG can have totally useless stats for your class and requre 2 more weeks of grinding just to try for a ring that is useful, of course because its RNG you can get yet another ring with bad stats and have to grind another 2 weeks to try again.   I can go on and on about all the many frustrations the game has locked in it but it would just all boil down to the fact that after you reach lvl cap it feels if your are in chinese goldfarming bootcamp.  

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

So there is not enough grinding whilst levelling but there is too much grinding at end game?

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

totally agree.  the end game in Tera consists of gold farming. 

if you ever dreamed to become a gold Farmer,  Tera is your game.  only difference is that you gonna be doing it for free.

we should at least get paid 1 or 2 euros a month.

• BlackthornedBlackthorned Member Posts: 14

Yes this is the case the game is designed to powerlevel you to cap and leave you with nothing to do but herd sheep for reputation points and afk in raid zones for reputation points and farm gold from mobs that drop on avg 1-5g whilst it takes 200g+ to attempt to even progress your chracter and this can fail more than 10 times for 1 enchantment with some people reporting over 300k gold spent just to get 9 lvls of enchantment which only nets you enough power to tackle the same 2 dungeons that you have been since cap slightly faster so you can get more gear so you can get more gold so you can get more gear all from the same 2 dungeons.  The kicker is the grind you do at endgame can all be wiped out in mere moments with 10 enchant fails in a row and your character not only doesn't gain stats but it also leaves you broke and in need of farming the same 2 dungeons for countless more hours to start again. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Welcome to mmorpgs.....

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

Welcome to mmorpgs.....

+1

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

This must be the OP's first themepark MMO.  

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

So there is not enough grinding whilst levelling but there is too much grinding at end game?

Quite accurate i must say.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Welcome to incomplete mmorpgs.....

Fixed

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Tera is a ROLE PLAYING GAME...yet I cant seem to find a single review done by a gaming website where they actually talk about how HORRIBLE the story is. I wonder why that is...in fact, why is it that if I read a review of a game where the story is good, the thing is outlined and spoken about...sometimes at length yet with Tera...next to NOTHING at all.

Basically all I get is, OMG ACTION COMBAT! Graphics, ZOMG DODGE!  possible pvp changes coming that will be big BTW ACTION COMBAT! world is big hey did I tell you about the COMBAT yet? the crafting is so so it has a DODGE ability!

Anything so as not to talk about the bad stories and hide the fact that the game level 1 until endgame is pointless from a RPG standpoint because no one can get into a questline telling you to go kill the terabibledibles to keep their population low to protect the serenity of your soul from being damage by their numbers.

Afterall, youll want to do that to get to max level so you can fight against other players so you can keep killing the evil trees that are killing pigs...for the serenity of your soul.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

First off this is a korean game  and if its your first well then welcome to the grind. Now thinking of every mmo I have ever played they are all grind in the long run whether it be gold or drops its all the same at the end of the day. Once your done learning skills what else is there to do? Raid, PvP, or Farm and thats about it. This is nothing new and no one is going to chang this unless they go it without a cap (this has been done) but most players cant really stand that type of system. 

Originally posted by rdrakken

Tera is a ROLE PLAYING GAME...yet I cant seem to find a single review done by a gaming website where they actually talk about how HORRIBLE the story is. I wonder why that is...in fact, why is it that if I read a review of a game where the story is good, the thing is outlined and spoken about...sometimes at length yet with Tera...next to NOTHING at all.

Basically all I get is, OMG ACTION COMBAT! Graphics, ZOMG DODGE!  possible pvp changes coming that will be big BTW ACTION COMBAT! world is big hey did I tell you about the COMBAT yet? the crafting is so so it has a DODGE ability!

Anything so as not to talk about the bad stories and hide the fact that the game level 1 until endgame is pointless from a RPG standpoint because no one can get into a questline telling you to go kill the terabibledibles to keep their population low to protect the serenity of your soul from being damage by their numbers.

Afterall, youll want to do that to get to max level so you can fight against other players so you can keep killing the evil trees that are killing pigs...for the serenity of your soul.

Tera really shines with its action combat, however that is not enough for a triple A MMO anymore. I think if TSW had Teras combat system I would sub to that pretty quickly. But from my experiance up to level 44 in Tera, the quests are written above average and on par with some really good quests in WoW. If you guys spend the time to read the lore, you would realize the quests content is decent. However most players will discount it due to the standard copy paste WoW approach.

Originally posted by mainvein33

First off this is a korean game  and if its your first well then welcome to the grind. Now thinking of every mmo I have ever played they are all grind in the long run whether it be gold or drops its all the same at the end of the day. Once your done learning skills what else is there to do? Raid, PvP, or Farm and thats about it. This is nothing new and no one is going to chang this unless they go it without a cap (this has been done) but most players cant really stand that type of system. 

Well read what you wrote.

It's true. Endgame is about farming.

But it's about how much farming is need, how you grind your equip (RNG?) and how much variety you have.

The thing is Tera has more farming than the other games, has the RNG farming and has even less variety (no raid, 2 dungeons, useless owpvp and no battlegrounds at all)

I'm not surprised it's not doing wel...

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Tera really shines with its action combat, however that is not enough for a triple A MMO anymore.

But from my experiance up to level 44 in Tera, the quests are written above average and on par with some really good quests in WoW.

1. Combat was never enough for an MMO...I cannot recall an MMO that ever survived on combat alone.

2. There are no quests near the level of writting in WoW...or any Western MMO. The writting was so bad in Tera it was even joked about in Japan where they said most of the F2P games can match Tera's story quality.

3. Must kill the evil trees for the serenity of our soul!.

Tera really shines with its action combat, however that is not enough for a triple A MMO anymore.

But from my experiance up to level 44 in Tera, the quests are written above average and on par with some really good quests in WoW.

1. Combat was never enough for an MMO...I cannot recall an MMO that ever survived on combat alone.

2. There are no quests near the level of writting in WoW...or any Western MMO. The writting was so bad in Tera it was even joked about in Japan where they said most of the F2P games can match Tera's story quality.

3. Must kill the evil trees for the serenity of our soul!.

1) League of Legends, the entire game is based around combat.

2) Some of the quests in Tera were good, some were down right bad. Not all quests are created equally and not every quest in WoW is of a professional grade. So yes some of Tera quests can be arguably on equal footing if not better then some from WoW.

3) +1, i got tired of killing the same tree over 45 levels of gameplay. I cannot even tell you how annoyed i would be if I ever saw another Demonic Jester.

League of Legends is not an mmorpg.

And btw League of Legend revolves about competive e-sport pvp combat. Not the gearbased pve combat and grind of Tera

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

This is one of those threads where I just don't understand what you want from the game.

You want to be max level and full top tier geared and fully enchanted or upgraded within a month or two of release.

What were your plans after this? What about everyone else?

This genre is over populated with people that want to have everything as fast as possible without working for it. Worse, they complain that the games have nothing to offer at end game because they are too boring.

What is it you really want? Standing around in a city with a "finished" character is not very exciting, sooner or later the novelty wears off.

Originally posted by otacu

League of Legends is not an mmorpg.

And btw League of Legend revolves about competive e-sport pvp combat. Not the gearbased pve combat and grind of Tera

So if you read the post i was quoting the previos poster said MMO not MMORPG. And League of Legends is all about Combat and nothing else. it is an E-sport and has pvp combat if you want to be detailed. But when you say MMO and ask if there is a game that is again an MMO and based on combat, League of legends fills this criteria.

Plus LOL has grind just like Tera does. It has a gear grind and a xp/ip grind, if you want to be technical.

Starting at level 1 with a champion and getting max 18 requires you to grind XP, and gold for gear every match everytime. Saying its an E-sport or has pvp combat holds little value to what was stated above, because in the end it is still a game based around combat at its core.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

You mean like the non-review Gamebreaker did, in which they explained TERA has some of the worst written quests in the genre. Or TB's review stating the same thing.

Tera has only ever been praised for it's questing by a few rabid fanboys. It's always used it's 'action combat' to justify every other flaw in the game, and it shows. If this game caught you off guard, you are probably listening to the wrong people, as there was pleanty a warning sign / shout about this game prior launch. There are people who still enjoy it, but it's still all about the action combat. Oh, and BAMs, which basically still amounts to the action combat.

Originally posted by chefdiablo

This is one of those threads where I just don't understand what you want from the game.

You want to be max level and full top tier geared and fully enchanted or upgraded within a month or two of release.

What were your plans after this? What about everyone else?

This genre is over populated with people that want to have everything as fast as possible without working for it. Worse, they complain that the games have nothing to offer at end game because they are too boring.

What is it you really want? Standing around in a city with a "finished" character is not very exciting, sooner or later the novelty wears off.

I didnt want max level and max gear right away I payed 60 bucks and sub fee. I wanted to be entertained taken on a journey through a game and progress along the way. What I got was shot past 59 lvls of the game at sub sonic speed into a titanium wall of gold eat gold eat gold. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Too much grinding at end-game, not enough before it, is accurate. In TERA's defense though, I experienced the same problem with many of this age's MMOs, including both Rift and DCUO. There are only a few themepark MMOs that I ever felt got the pacing right, one of which was CoH. Just hard enough for it to be a challenge to get to end-game without feeling like a grind, and end-game consisted of taking part in huge group raids and backtracking to help lowbies and noobs get to where you now stand. Fostered such a good community, back in the day.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Was goona give the demo a try and it wouldnt let me run it saying my connection wasnt good enough to stream a high quality experience. Should of let me download a client. My connection works just fine for most games. Funny thing is I swear they stole assets from aion. The text panels are 1-1 identical down to the textures and font.

Wasnt really interested but figured i'd give the demo a try. Too bad.....

Originally posted by DaezAster

Was goona give the demo a try and it wouldnt let me run it saying my connection wasnt good enough to stream a high quality experience. Should of let me download a client. My connection works just fine for most games. Funny thing is I swear they stole assets from aion. The text panels are 1-1 identical down to the textures and font.

Your internet connection saved you from a week of hell. Give it a hug. 

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Blackthorned
    Originally posted by chefdiablo This is one of those threads where I just don't understand what you want from the game. You want to be max level and full top tier geared and fully enchanted or upgraded within a month or two of release. What were your plans after this? What about everyone else? This genre is over populated with people that want to have everything as fast as possible without working for it. Worse, they complain that the games have nothing to offer at end game because they are too boring. What is it you really want? Standing around in a city with a "finished" character is not very exciting, sooner or later the novelty wears off.
    I didnt want max level and max gear right away I payed 60 bucks and sub fee. I wanted to be entertained taken on a journey through a game and progress along the way. What I got was shot past 59 lvls of the game at sub sonic speed into a titanium wall of gold eat gold eat gold. 

I sense some exaggeration with your comment that you were "shot past 59 lvls of the game". When we as players really want to be entertained we can slow down and enjoy the journey of the game.

I have leveled very quickly in plenty of games as well. SWTOR is a prime example. I got to max level at "sub sonic speed" and yet others have taken months to get there as crazy as that may be. They stopped and smelled the roses, and I did not.

Our urge to get to the end game is what the issue is. We keep thinking that the whole game starts at max level. It doesn't anymore, developers are not investing as much into the end game anymore it seems. We are just slow figuring this out.

The end game is dying out. We are not MMO virgins anymore. We eat up the content way too quickly and the developers can't get expansions out fast enough to satiate us.

What does that leave us with? Make the game into a grinder, or make the endgame into a money/time sink and call it a day. Treadmills and carrots.

Originally posted by Blackthorned
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Your internet connection saved you from a week of hell. Give it a hug. 

Good way of looking at it :D

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I enjoyed the free trial enough, but not enough to buy/sub, because I feel this kind of game doesn't warrant a 15$ a month sub to begin with.

As for the demo, I was unable to try it as well, but then on a subsequent attempt to try it I was asked ot update java and then it worked fine. It's basically a windowed version of the prologue tutorial with premade characters, and it was fun enough to attempt the crazy-long DL for the 7-day trial client.

I'll come back to it if they drop the sub charges, deffo worth plopping 50$ down for the client itself... and honestly, I don't see what everyone's major beef with it is. Gamelay was fine, story was meh. That's better than most other MMOs these days right there.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

I enjoyed the free trial enough, but not enough to buy/sub, because I feel this kind of game doesn't warrant a 15$ a month sub to begin with.

As for the demo, I was unable to try it as well, but then on a subsequent attempt to try it I was asked ot update java and then it worked fine. It's basically a windowed version of the prologue tutorial with premade characters, and it was fun enough to attempt the crazy-long DL for the 7-day trial client.

I'll come back to it if they drop the sub charges, deffo worth plopping 50$ down for the client itself... and honestly, I don't see what everyone's major beef with it is. Gamelay was fine, story was meh. That's better than most other MMOs these days right there.

It did update my java but still no go. I could have easily ignored the story and just enjoyed the combat though....