Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE doesn't actually have 300k players playing it

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Originally posted by Cecropia

You're correct. EVE has approximately 400k subs last I heard. Also, after playing for 6 years, I would not say the vast majority of players have multiple accounts. We always had a few in our Corp, but most only had one account. That was my experience, anyways.

I know it pisses a lot of mmorpg.comers off, but this particular PVP sandbox spaceship mmo has done quite well for itself. CCP has one of most subscribed to P2P mmos in the West on their hands. It's been that way for many years.

Yeah, dunno about all that. EVE's PCU numbers lie around the 40-50k max. Which makes the sub numbers compared to the PCU about 8-9 times higher. That's a hell of a lot higher than what's normal for other MMO's, where the PCU is often more like 1 to 5-6 compared to the subs (there were some articles and stuff that talked about it, too much time to go looking for it now). So based on the averages and norms of other MMO's and their PCU's, the number of actual EVE players would be estimated around the 250k. Still a nice number though, nothing wrong with it.

Never go by the PCU. Eve is a game where you train a skill and log off. Many, many players are still subbed but log in very casually.

Hell my last three months playing I would log for skills and maybe do a couple missions with an alt for isk every other weekend or so.

If players needed to be logged in for skills to increase that PCU would be twice if not three times as large as that.

Which MMOs have a PCU/Sub of 1 to 5? Are people really spending an average of 20% of their time playing that game? That's an average of over 5 hours every day! That means for every guy that just logs in for a couple of hours on Sundays, there has to be another guy that plays for 70 hours a week. Jeesh.

Really even a PCU/Sub of 1 to 8 sounds pretty high to me. That equates to an average of 22 hours a week, which is a big chunk of time for the average person who needs to work and sleep, and maybe goes on vacation every now and then. (Remember: if you take a 14 day holiday, that's an extra 45 hours that someone else is playing to maintain that average...)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Malcanis

You're correct. EVE has approximately 400k subs last I heard. Also, after playing for 6 years, I would not say the vast majority of players have multiple accounts. We always had a few in our Corp, but most only had one account. That was my experience, anyways.

I know it pisses a lot of mmorpg.comers off, but this particular PVP sandbox spaceship mmo has done quite well for itself. CCP has one of most subscribed to P2P mmos in the West on their hands. It's been that way for many years.

Yeah, dunno about all that. EVE's PCU numbers lie around the 40-50k max. Which makes the sub numbers compared to the PCU about 8-9 times higher. That's a hell of a lot higher than what's normal for other MMO's, where the PCU is often more like 1 to 5-6 compared to the subs (there were some articles and stuff that talked about it, too much time to go looking for it now). So based on the averages and norms of other MMO's and their PCU's, the number of actual EVE players would be estimated around the 250k. Still a nice number though, nothing wrong with it.

Never go by the PCU. Eve is a game where you train a skill and log off. Many, many players are still subbed but log in very casually.

Hell my last three months playing I would log for skills and maybe do a couple missions with an alt for isk every other weekend or so.

If players needed to be logged in for skills to increase that PCU would be twice if not three times as large as that.

Which MMOs have a PCU/Sub of 1 to 5? Are people really spending an average of 20% of their time playing that game? That's an average of over 5 hours every day! That means for every guy that just logs in for a couple of hours on Sundays, there has to be another guy that plays for 70 hours a week. Jeesh.

Really even a PCU/Sub of 1 to 8 sounds pretty high to me. That equates to an average of 22 hours a week, which is a big chunk of time for the average person who needs to work and sleep, and maybe goes on vacation every now and then. (Remember: if you take a 14 day holiday, that's an extra 45 hours that someone else is playing to maintain that average...)

Yeah dude its probably more like 1 to 30. I swear I read an article on Eve and how much time each account stayed online in a week (average) It was around 5-8 hours a week. I wish i had that link it was a couple years ago.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Malcanis

You're correct. EVE has approximately 400k subs last I heard. Also, after playing for 6 years, I would not say the vast majority of players have multiple accounts. We always had a few in our Corp, but most only had one account. That was my experience, anyways. I know it pisses a lot of mmorpg.comers off, but this particular PVP sandbox spaceship mmo has done quite well for itself. CCP has one of most subscribed to P2P mmos in the West on their hands. It's been that way for many years.

? I don't really think you understand how PCU works. If for example a peak concurrent users is 38k on a Tuesday, that doesn't mean that the whole day there have been 38k players online, but that there has been a moment that Tuesday where the total number of players logged in was 38k.

If you combine that with the information of let's say a player playing 15-20 hrs a week a game - which is below the average, several surveys pointed out that the regular active MMO gamer plays his MMO 20-25 hrs a week on average - and take into account that those 15-20 hours are spread out over several days in the week, then it isn't that odd at all that due to overlap in activity with other players, there can be peaks on a weekday evening where 1 in 5 players of a server are online.

This is what the PCU measures, those peaks. Especially during the week when people have activities - school, college, work - during the day and are limited for their MMO gaming hours to the evening, it isn't that strange at all to have a lot of players all playing at the same time, up to a large percentage of the player population on a server, but Sunday evenings can be busy too.

Of course, it varies, when there are expansions or special updates or events, the PCU will be higher, when it's a slow time PCU will be lower etc.

Yeah dude its probably more like 1 to 30. I swear I read an article on Eve and how much time each account stayed online in a week (average) It was around 5-8 hours a week. I wish i had that link it was a couple years ago. 

This is incorrect. The average playtime for an EVE player according to CCP is 17 hours a week.

This is incorrect. The average playtime for an EVE player according to CCP is 17 hours a week.

How am I incorrect? The article was like 2-3 years old lol, It could have changed by now.

17 hours seems high anyway, If thats true then the Always on Bots are running up the average.

That's a ton of hours for the entire population to be averaged at. 

I don't get where you got this 1 to 6 Concurrent to account ratio but for eve its always been skewed. Hell the game progresses your avatar without u. its a perfect game for a super casual.

The 17hr a week info came from CCP people themselves, so I'm going with that one.

You may think of EVE Online as being a game perfectly suited for casuals, but considering the high learning threshold and dedication and commitment it requires to get stuff done, I'm of a different opinion, if anything it's more for the hardcore crowd than the people that want to jump in, jump out after a quick half hour or hour of lazy fun. MMO's like WoW are far more suited for casual gamer fun, easy accessible and quick to hop into and out of.

True, EVE might be different in that some stuff can happen offline, but also not that different, seeing that active players spend an average of 17 hrs a week ingame, considering that the average for the normal MMO gamer lies around the 20-25 hrs a week - for the hardcore MMO gamer that average lies around the 40 hrs a week iirc. It's also kinda odd, are you really trying to tell that EVE gamers care so little about the game that they only want to play it for a few hours in the week on average? Doesn't make much sense, I thought EVE gamers in general were a pretty dedicated crowd compared with some other MMO's. But anyway, I stick with the figures that are either common or coming from CCP themselves.

Oh, about the 1 to 5-6 ratio, there are articles and reports around for several MMO's, but there's also a simple way to look at things. A high population MMO server usually has around the 2-4k players online in peak hours, TOR servers that were High started around the 2k players upwards, its Full servers were I think 3.6 to 4.2k players logged in iirc, AoC had 2.2-2.5k players on peak hours on its highest population servers after expansion, and Aion catered 900k NA/EU people with 30 something servers, and had a PCU of 170k around that time. Given that a regular MMO server usually has a 10-20k player population linked to it. All of these are in line with the 1 to 5-6 ratio of PCU and player population, there are more figures of other MMO's, but it just takes too long to look it all up and this is what I can recall,fwiw.
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

What EvE does, it does well.  Will it ever see 10 million players?  I don't think it really needs to. 

It's not a casual players game, hence why I'm not playing it anymore.  But if you have the time and the stomach for zero security space, then you'll never find as satisfying an online experience as this game.  It's the reason that it's sub base is only between 200k and 400k, too many people simply cannot handle the risk...and that's good, because it keeps the morons that are used to having things handed to them out of the game.  As far as EvE disappearing? Pfft, yeah ok.  This game's core players are there until CCP decides to close up shop.  You'll never find a more loyal group of players.

It'd be nice if they did something to liven up high and low sec space for us casual types, but they don't need our money.  Their hardcore players keep them in business quite nicely.

The 17hr a week info came from CCP people themselves, so I'm going with that one.

You may think of EVE Online as being a game perfectly suited for casuals, but considering the high learning threshold and dedication and commitment it requires to get stuff done, I'm of a different opinion, if anything it's more for the hardcore crowd than the people that want to jump in, jump out after a quick half hour or hour of lazy fun. MMO's like WoW are far more suited for casual gamer fun, easy accessible and quick to hop into and out of.

True, EVE might be different in that some stuff can happen offline, but also not that different, seeing that active players spend an average of 17 hrs a week ingame, considering that the average for the normal MMO gamer lies around the 20-25 hrs a week - for the hardcore MMO gamer that average lies around the 40 hrs a week iirc. It's also kinda odd, are you really trying to tell that EVE gamers care so little about the game that they only want to play it for a few hours in the week on average? Doesn't make much sense, I thought EVE gamers in general were a pretty dedicated crowd compared with some other MMO's. But anyway, I stick with the figures that are either common or coming from CCP themselves.

20-25 hours? Where are your numbers coming from? 

Also Eve is a game that lets you play how you want. There are a huge amount of players that do nothing but mission whenever they are online. In a game that lets you progress 24/7 without playing and Trade plex for Isk its the most casual friendly game I know of.

When I say casual friendly im saying you can play very little and not feel like your falling behind, not that the game is easy.

Certain people mistaken the term Casual as meaning Shit player and thats wrong.

The 20-25 hours a week come from public surveys, but they have little to do with this, only by comparison: the 17 hours a week are coming from CCP people. Don't believe them for all it's worth, suit yourself, personally I find it a bit odd if people are trying so hard to prove that most EVE players hardly log in, but sure, whatever. I'm going with what's regular for MMO gamers and what the CCP guys themselves have regarding stats.
  • charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Eve could have 1 true player and 299.999.99 multiple acounts to that one player,

eve wont care as there still getting paid for every single acount there so it would still class as 300k subs.

The 20-25 hours a week come from public surveys, but they have little to do with this, only by comparison: the 17 hours a week are coming from CCP people. Don't believe them for all it's worth, suit yourself, personally I find it a bit odd if people are trying so hard to prove that most EVE players hardly log in, but sure, whatever. I'm going with what's regular for MMO gamers and what the CCP guys themselves have regarding stats.

All im saying is that you can't judge the amount of Accounts the game has by concurrent users. 

It was the OP or yourself who said Eves ratio of concurrent users to acounts was 1 to 6. Imo thats insane. Maybe its accurate in other mmos but in a game like Eve where players are known to log in only to change skills you cant use that to gage anything.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

multiple accounts or not, doesnt really matter to me. if folks are having fun with EvE, all the power to them, I still think its a boring game, and I quit a long time ago, just finished another trial, still the same ole boring eve, no thanks, seeya later.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

eve took into account alt accounts thats 300k subs to each player, does not count their alts.

All im saying is that you can't judge the amount of Accounts the game has by concurrent users. 

It was the OP or yourself who said Eves ratio of concurrent users to acounts was 1 to 6. Imo thats insane. Maybe its accurate in other mmos but in a game like Eve where players are known to log in only to change skills you cant use that to gage anything.

? Who says that I was comparing with accounts? A player, meaning a real live person, can have 2-4 accounts, I know I had multiple accounts for some MMO's. I was referring to actual playerbase. And sure, EVE is different and blabla, I get all that, but it's also not that different in that people hardly want to be logged in to play with friends and guildies and just do their stuff: this is shown by CCP's figures themselves that talk about the number of hours that the average player is logged in, or the average number of play hours/day that register for EVE players.

Anyway, believe whatever you want to believe. I don't deal in beliefs, I just stated my thoughts and the supporting figures behind them, that's all.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

they count subscriptions, they dont could one person with two accounts as an ALT, that would be two characters on ONE account (which next to nobody does in that game due to real time skill trianing). Just correcting you, not saying its bad they do it this way.

edit- ah crud forgot to quote op, it was about how eve doesnt count "alts" in thier count...

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Its already understood in Eve that to be successful you have to have multiple account (aka multiboxing). Most all of the corps Ive been in had atleast 1 (if not more) people that had multiple accounts. Though how many people playing Eve have multiple accounts, none of us will ever know.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Isasis

Yes, it has 300k subscribers. No, it does not have 300k players.

A vast majority of players I met had 2-3 accounts. Yes, each one is a subscriber, but it is all from the same person.

EVE really has about 100 to 150k players that actually play, if you remove all the extra accounts. Which is actually rather low for a MMO...even UO has 100k (last I heard, might be lower now) and that game is ancient.

In any case, 300k subscribers is still a good amount...but not actually that many players play EVE.

And yet people playing are having fun.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

It have have never been said that 300' players nor 150' players been online so what is the point with pointing this out (yet again)?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE really has about 100 to 150k players that actually play, if you remove all the extra accounts. Which is actually rather low for a MMO...even UO has 100k (last I heard, might be lower now) and that game is ancient.

No one is UO or any other MMO has an alt account.

Let me post your answer for you, as we've all been through this circle many times:

"Of course they do, but not as many as EVE has."

To which I'm curious where you found such data.

[mod edit]

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

A vast majority of players I met had 2-3 accounts. Yes, each one is a subscriber, but it is all from the same person.

In any case, 300k subscribers is still a good amount...but not actually that many players play EVE.

What is your point,not sure where you want to go with this, maybe you are just bored......................

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

What is your point,not sure where you want to go with this, maybe you are just bored......................

If I had to fathom a guess, I'd say the OP is trying to tie this into the "massive sandbox crowd" debate. Eve's population is often used as an argument for how many people are willing to play a sandbox MMO. If the population of Eve is not as large as the sub number............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

If I had to fathom a guess, I'd say the OP is trying to tie this into the "massive sandbox crowd" debate. Eve's population is often used as an argument for how many people are willing to play a sandbox MMO. If the population of Eve is not as large as the sub number............

As I said he must be bored lol

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Why is the Eve the only game where the multi account players are incessantly brought up when talking about sub numbers?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by dave6660

Why is the Eve the only game where the multi account players are incessantly brought up when talking about sub numbers?

Apparently EVE's success is a hell of a pill for theme park extremists to swallow. How is it possible that such a game have so many subs for all these years? Alt accounts seems to be the easiest bit to bite a hold of.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Any game where it is actually possible to play more than a single account at once is a failure in my book...

Just proves how horrible the combat and other mechanics are if you can bot/automate most of it to the point of playing multiple at the same time.   Yes, in WoW people play full groups by themselves, but they aren't productive or useful.  I remember steamrolling a full group of bots with just 1 other friend because you cannot fight properly on 8 accounts at once against two real players.  Same argument for just about any game that doesn't put you to sleep with spreadsheets and horrible combat.

Not really sure why i'm even posting here, other than I noticed the annoying "This game lies about how many subs it has" threads...

Get out, get some sun, enjoy the REAL world once in a while and you'll stop giving a crap about which game is the best or who lies the most and you'll end up playing the ones which are actually the most fun for you... You only have so many years of life left in you, why waste it on stupid shit?