Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressive rate of Optimization.

illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

In the first BWE, the first thing I remember after creating a character was getting smacked in the face with a 10-15 fps framerate.  I wrote it off though b/c everything was so much deeper and detailed and beautiful than GW1 was, and hell, my FPS drops pretty low even in GW1 when I'm trying to load into Spammadan/LA.

Then immediately 2 hours after that their servers went down and something they tweaked bounced it up about 10 frames in those really public areas and almost 20 when I was off soloing alone.

In this second BWE they never even mentioned anything about improving it more but I was sittin at a nice 40-45 during medium events, and a flat 60 in combat down in the dungeons.  It still chugs a bit in cities but at the rate they're going, I'm not too worried.  Infact I can't remember seeing performance jump this quick in ANY beta I've ever been in...  Even people with 8-yr-old computers will be able to run this on low settings and still have some really pretty scenery.

(GFX card: r-6790  ....b/c someone's always bound to ask...  & a fairly old DualCore CPU)

Comments

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Minor Update  with a CS rep reply I found on the official forums:

Games in the beta stage go through many waves of polish, bug fixes, and optimization as they approach release. Please don’t consider the graphical experience during the beta test as a marker of what you’ll experience upon release. CPU/GPU usage will be tweaked in the future.

...this implies to me that the game might not even ship 100% optimized and people with Crossfire or other multi Card-Linking setups may not have full functionality until sometime after launch which is consistent with the vast majority of game releases out there already.   The person being replied to in this instance had 2 560ti's or something beastly yet was getting HALF the framerates I was during Beta which suggests the game may actually RUN BETTER on full AMD chipsets right now rather than Intel ones.  I find this extremely interesting ;) 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I got double the frames per second with one of my two 7970s disabled, compared to using crossfire.  Also I'm glad they mentioned fixing issues with Eyefinity, which hopefully means proper Hor+ and no more Vert-.  It's kinda annoying ot be only able to see my characters crotch at character select, and his chest during cutscenes.  So long as they get working crossfire support, make the game utilize GPU power much more than the heavily CPU bound game it is now, and fix the Vert- issue, I'll be extremely happy.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

It was stated awhile ago that GW2 was not reallly using your Graphics Card as yet.  Graphics were being crunched by your normal processors.  I "think" in this past BWE the graphics were partially being done on the graphics card but then again I have not read anything to that would state that in concrete.

Ratero.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Also I had absolutely no lag whatsoever in the second BWE... it was miles better. Not that I wouldn't pay to play BWE1 over and over again :)

The game is truely very very fun.

..Cake..

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Rhonen

It was stated awhile ago that GW2 was not reallly using your Graphics Card as yet.  Graphics were being crunched by your normal processors.  I "think" in this past BWE the graphics were partially being done on the graphics card but then again I have not read anything to that would state that in concrete.

Ratero.

Do you have a link?  I find that highly unlikely.  I could see maybe something like Physics being purely CPU based, but that's about it.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Draemos

Ratero.

Do you have a link?  I find that highly unlikely.  I could see maybe something like Physics being purely CPU based, but that's about it.

It is widely known that the first BWE and the last Stress Test were almost exclusively CPU-bound.

The last BWE, though, was not. I don't know the rate of optimization (hard to say, and Anet didn't say anything very specific about it), but the GPU was used in it. To what extent, we don't know.

All I know that the performance was dramatically better. I was pitted in the middle of crazy WvW combats (with dozens and dozens of people going bananas) and I felt only a smallish FPS hit. It was quite impressive, since I didn't decrease any options prior to going to the Mists.

I remember WAR. If you had more than 20 people on the screen, the whole game entered PowerPoint Mode. And, that's after release.

• FreyasFreyas Member Posts: 32

Ratero.

From the "Known Issues: Beta Weekend 2" thread in the official forums:

"We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance."

While this doesn't specifically say that graphics are being crunched by the processor, it implies that a non-trivial amount of work that is intended to be done by the graphics card is currently being done by the CPU.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Ratero.

It is widely known that the first BWE and the last Stress Test were almost exclusively CPU-bound.

The last BWE, though, was not. I don't know the rate of optimization (hard to say, and Anet didn't say anything very specific about it), but the GPU was used in it. To what extent, we don't know.

All I know that the performance was dramatically better. I was pitted in the middle of crazy WvW combats (with dozens and dozens of people going bananas) and I felt only a smallish FPS hit. It was quite impressive, since I didn't decrease any options prior to going to the Mists.

I remember WAR. If you had more than 20 people on the screen, the whole game entered PowerPoint Mode. And, that's after release.

my gpu (hd 6850) was already on 70% use for 60 fps on PvE and sPvP ( i have Vsync on so cant have more than 60 fps right? ). the gpu on WvW reach 100% i could check this with msi afterburner

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

The human eye cannot see more than 60 fps but you can have more than fps on  your system.  When lag occurs it will drop the fps down so you may notice the difference then.

Ratero.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Freyas

Ratero.

From the "Known Issues: Beta Weekend 2" thread in the official forums:

"We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance."

While this doesn't specifically say that graphics are being crunched by the processor, it implies that a non-trivial amount of work that is intended to be done by the graphics card is currently being done by the CPU.

Oh ok, optimization is significantly different that "not using your graphics card".

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Ratero.

You have a source for them taking the game off cpu_bound? Could swear I read a dev post right before BWE2 that said it still was. 

My persformance was awesome in both BWEs regardless /shrug. Won't complain if it gets better though.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I didn't play much the first beta weekend due to the bad performance, but this one was a totally different experience

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

It really was noticeable. In the first BWE I had to play at medium and the fps wasn't very good anyway. This last BWE I could play at the highest settings just fine and even with fraps recording I had 20 fps minimum.

• jaycejayce Member Posts: 133

i didn't play the 1st BWE with work schedule and all so i don't have anything to compare, but i did play the 2nd BWE. and in it, i purposely played on a somewhat weak (compared to my even older desktop) laptop to say the least, running an i3 M380 processor with on-board intel graphics and 4GB of ram. to make matters worst, i even played on a wireless 3G and also on 4G internet connection. i didn't play any WvW, but I did do a few mega events in queensdale with at least 30 others. i only took hits to performance (client side) for the duration of those events, but it was far from a slide show. it was enough in that i was 1-shotted a couple of times, but only because i underestimated the range of some of those attacks. all other dips in performance was either due to server side or 3G hitches only. 4G ran flawlessly. obviously, i ran everything on low for best performance, but if the unreleased game version can pass my crapiest system test, then yes, i'd say impressive indeed.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by terrant

You have a source for them taking the game off cpu_bound? Could swear I read a dev post right before BWE2 that said it still was. 

My persformance was awesome in both BWEs regardless /shrug. Won't complain if it gets better though.

Ah, what I meant is that while the game is still CPU-heavy, the last build did use the GPU, differently from the prior ones. When they truly normalize the performance between CPU and GPU, my guess is that we'll still see a 20 - 30% FPS increase, give or take.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.