Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re: New Missile animations

SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

As an engineer this bothers me. There are no smoke trails in space because when smoke particles are blasted in random directions, no other forces (like air) exist to keep the particles centralized in a "cloud".

Real rockets in space

Comments

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Lol, as an engineer THIS bothers you?

Newsflash: In space your ship also doesn't stop if you put your engine off because there's no friction in a vacuum. And there's no sound in space. Your ship also doesn't normally stabilize to lay exactly horizontally. And you can't actually fly through planets. The sun normally melts you. And if you eject from a moving ship, your pod's speed can't possibly be zero. Also, those rockets couldn't fly curves with their single drive. But as an engineer, this TRAIL bothers you. Because you're an engineer, and a real expert on physics.

PS: I just watched the video and I know now what you mean though. It looks like crap. ;)

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

He means he plays engineer in gw2...

Ya lol. Man, engineers in Battlefield 1942 were awesome. I should dig that out again some time.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Bad troll is bad.  Reality in MY MMO?!?!?!!?  OMFG NO WAI?!!!?

Nothing to see here kids, move along.  Seriously, this is your whine?  Of all the "unrealistic" things in this MMO you chose this one.  To each their own I suppose.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Lol, as an engineer THIS bothers you?

Newsflash: In space your ship also doesn't stop if you put your engine off because there's no friction in a vacuum. And there's no sound in space. Your ship also doesn't normally stabilize to lay exactly horizontally. And you can't actually fly through planets. The sun normally melts you. And if you eject from a moving ship, your pod's speed can't possibly be zero. Also, those rockets couldn't fly curves with their single drive. But as an engineer, this TRAIL bothers you. Because you're an engineer, and a real expert on physics.

PS: I just watched the video and I know now what you mean though. It looks like crap. ;)

1. Reverse thrust for stopping I suppose

2. A game without sound would be boring

3. Well "horizontal" doesn't really exist, but it's probably a limitation/technicality

4. Flying through planets is probably just a limitation on their part

5. Game limitation

6. reverse thrust again I would assume

7. thrust on different sides of the rocket perhaps?

Many of the things you listed could be possible, or are just a lack of implementation. Smoke trails on rockets is a purposeful implementation without regard to reality.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Don't give two shits about reality in my Eve. 

The new animations are welcome addition to me.  After all those years seeing the old ones, I like the new ones.

Originally posted by kovah

Bad troll is bad.  Reality in MY MMO?!?!?!!?  OMFG NO WAI?!!!?

Nothing to see here kids, move along.  Seriously, this is your whine?  Of all the "unrealistic" things in this MMO you chose this one.  To each their own I suppose.

If something is unrealistic then it should have some gameplay enhancement or should be limiting the player from getting too deep into realistic technicalities.

Your character needing to sleep for 1/3 of the day or use the bathroom isn't something developers implement because we recognize that it's a technicality of realism and doesn't enhance gameplay (and probably detracts from it)

Smoke trails is certainly a small thing, but it's a good example of something that doesn't enhance gameplay and detracts from realism.

Not a gamebreaker by any means, just thought I'd point that out.

Originally posted by Worstluck

The new animations are welcome addition to me.  After all those years seeing the old ones, I like the new ones.

I bet you do care about a certain level of "realism".

If the developers added dragon bosses that fly around in space and master chief as a playable ship you would probably go apeshit.

It may seem small, but games that stay inside its definition of rules tend to be much better than those who bend or break them

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SHOE788

Smoke trails is certainly a small thing, but it's a good example of something that doesn't enhance gameplay and detracts from realism.

For you, yes. For most people, it's eye candy in their space game. I saw Wargames in the theatre. I found it flawed and unrealistic from beginning to end but everyone else seemed to really like it. When someone has an intrinsic knowledge of a certain subject or technology, especially if they are passionate about it, little things like this are likely to bother them. For everyone else, it's usually kinda cool. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

If the developers added dragon bosses that fly around in space and master chief as a playable ship you would probably go apeshit.

It may seem small, but games that stay inside its definition of rules tend to be much better than those who bend or break them

I never said I didn't care about realism.  I said that I don't care about how our current reality effects the Eve universe.

I care about realism as long as it is true to the Eve universe.  Some smoke coming off the new missiles is not breaking the immersion or realism of the game, at least for me.  Of course the things you mention would.  Comparing some missile smoke to dragon bosses is a bit far fetched imo.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Sorry Shoe, was drinking at the time of the above post.  =)

What I meant to say was something more along the lines of what Loktofeit said.  I kinda like the new animations personally.

Cheers.

o7

Maaaan.

Space dragons.

I remember suggesting them on the Eve forum and everyone made fun of me and started some crap about their space whales.. dragons, not as "playable ship" but as a fast-moving transdimensional creature with literally a lot of firepower (ololol?), that would be something.

They could be ten times as big as a titan and still move more agile. Ever played Master of Orion 2? The dragons there attacked your colony first and then they procreated. And if you didn't get rid off them you had quite a problem after some time.

A dragon in Eve. That'd be scary as shit. Should be one of them every 3 months or so so they don't become a usual sight. Just imagine a huge something eclipsing the sun for the glimpse of a moment (dragons move at warp speed). Then a scream, because, there's sound in jelly-space Eve.

And then you're fucked. 8)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am not an astronomer but those nebulas and overall unrealistically colorful background irritates me a lot.

I just wanted to let you know.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Breaking rules with dragons and breaking rules with smoketrails are within the same context?

Have they not already broken the game rules you speak of with the implementation of range to guns?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

So why are we not set with polygins like the Eite game?

You are allowing other things tho enhance gameplay, or even making it possible to game... It's nice and cool with new knowledge, bragging and showing them off, but not in this case. It is just silly and you are not an engineer.

I never said I didn't care about realism.  I said that I don't care about how our current reality effects the Eve universe.

I care about realism as long as it is true to the Eve universe.  Some smoke coming off the new missiles is not breaking the immersion or realism of the game, at least for me.  Of course the things you mention would.  Comparing some missile smoke to dragon bosses is a bit far fetched imo.

Lets take a moment and remember that the Eve Universe is actually supposed to be our universe 21,000 years in the future.

I highly doubt that during this time, the laws of physics changed themselves.

As a sort of contradiction stance, say they were never in the game. Would you argue that they need to be? Probably not. Thus they only exist to break immersion for some and the rest of people simply don't care either way.

Lets take a moment and remember that the Eve Universe is actually supposed to be our universe 21,000 years in the future.

As a sort of contradiction stance, say they were never in the game. Would you argue that they need to be? Probably not. Thus they only exist to break immersion for some and the rest of people simply don't care either way.

Really mate, you have no arguement here.  Keep at it though, it's entertaining to read while I wind down my work day.  There is nothing about smoke trails that are breaking the laws of Eve's universe.  Eve is not a flight or reality similutor.  Eve Online is Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

I won't argue that anything needs to be in the game.  I am not a game designer.  I just enjoy the game they make, in spite of apparent immersion breaking smoke trails that ruins some peoples fun.

Really mate, you have no arguement here.  Keep at it though, it's entertaining to read while I wind down my work day.  There is nothing about smoke trails that are breaking the laws of Eve's universe.  Eve is not a flight or reality similutor.  Eve Online is Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

I won't argue that anything needs to be in the game.  I am not a game designer.  I just enjoy the game they make, in spite of apparent immersion breaking smoke trails that ruins some peoples fun.

By the same logic of "Eve isn't a reality simulator" then we can conclude that dragons and unicorns fit perfectly in the realm of Eve? Please tell me you understand the different contexts of "realism"?

Smoke trails don't exist in our universe. Eve is based upon our universe. By syllogism we can conclude that that Eve shouldn't have smoke trails.

I'd say that's a pretty solid argument, but it's always easy to spout of "you have no argument" when the reverse applies.

By the same logic of "Eve isn't a reality simulator" then we can conclude that dragons and unicorns fit perfectly in the realm of Eve? Please tell me you understand the different contexts of "realism"?

Smoke trails don't exist in our universe. Eve is based upon our universe. By syllogism we can conclude that that Eve shouldn't have smoke trails.

I'd say that's a pretty solid argument, but it's always easy to spout of "you have no argument" when the reverse applies.

Please enlighten us about the "different contexts of realism" while you completely ignore any valid point made in this topic about Eve not being a simulator and having countless other unrealistic properties and features, such as the ability to anchor things in space and bumping off asteroids.

They say "you have no argument" because you have no argument, you know.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It isn't realism that prevents flying unicorns or dragons, but rather the fiction and canon surrounding the EVE lore.

Also, I'm no physics expert, but why would gasses ejected from the back of a missile be invisible?

I seriously do not understand peoples rage over why there is sound in a space game.

Let's just put this to rest.

You play as a pilot.

Floating in a pod, and your brain is wired from your body to a massively powerful computer.

THIS COMPUTER CAN PROBABLY HANDLE SIMULATING SOUND.

How hard is that?  I mean really.  Computer simulates sounds so the pilot wired to it understands what is going on around the ship better.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

It isn't realism that prevents flying unicorns or dragons, but rather the fiction and canon surrounding the EVE lore.

Also, I'm no physics expert, but why would gasses ejected from the back of a missile be invisible?

Theres no atmospheric pressure holding it together as there is on earth. The particles blasted into motion don't coagulate into a visible form but are blasted in random directions with nothing to stop them.

Theres no atmospheric pressure holding it together as there is on earth. The particles blasted into motion don't coagulate into a visible form but are blasted in random directions with nothing to stop them.

For all we know about the game, there could be a shield like field around the exhaust to help direct the motion of the missile, which prevents the trails from dissipating immediately.  They do dissipate rather quickly.  I mean it's a science FICTION game.  There could be any number of reasons that would fit within the lore as to why you view that.  Hell even could be a simulated image as you don't see them with your eyes, but through camera drones outside your ship after all, according to lore.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Smoke trails don't exist in our universe. Eve is based upon our universe. By syllogism we can conclude that that Eve shouldn't have smoke trails.I'd say that's a pretty solid argument, but it's always easy to spout of "you have no argument" when the reverse applies.

It is not solid argument, it is an invalid argument.

The premise "EVE is based upon our universe" equally allows smoke trail to exist as it negates their existence.

The keyword is "based", which can mean pretty much anything as long as some "minimal" resemblance is kept.

Those engineers.....

This is not correct and you are still not an engineer.