Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible Support

evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75

I am a bit burnt out on the fantasy genre so I thought I'd give STO a shot. To my surprise I found it quite enjoyable. So much so that I've spent quite a bit more money than I'd like to admit in the cash shop in the past 2 weeks.

Yesterday, while trying to enter a system to do a main story quest, I got an error stating "couldn't transfer character" the game then quickly closed and logged me out. I tried many times to enter the system, always with the same result. I tried dropping the mission and accepting it again, going to other sectors, etc... nothing worked.

I submitted a support ticket, and waited.....and waited.... and 16 hours later a GM replied to my ticket stating that they are aware of the problem but lack the development manpower to fix it at this time. But I can rest assured that it is on their priority list and will be fixed as soon as possible.

I couldn't believe that over two years after launch game breaking bugs like this still exist and they continue to pump out cash shop content and other fluff. My character is for the most part useless to me now. I am a completionist and even if I could skip the MAIN STORY quest I wouldn't want to. Not only that but if I start a new character I will not have most of the stuff I have spent cash on so it would be a total waste of money. As of today my character is still pretty much unplayable.

I am very disappointed in STO. It held real promise for me, I enjoyed playing it, there were many things to do in game, much better than I expected. But I just can't support the way these guys are doing things. It's shady at best.

Comments

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Sorry to hear about your experience with customer support.  As someone who has played STO since BETA, I can honestly tell you that support does not get any better.  There are many bugs in STO since BETA that have not been addressed.  As you found out, these kinds of issues are relegated to the back burner in favor of cranking out cash shop content by the ton.

I will say 16 hours is a rather quick response time for Cryptic.  The average time in my experience is well over 3 days for a reply.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by evolpc

I am a bit burnt out on the fantasy genre so I thought I'd give STO a shot. To my surprise I found it quite enjoyable. So much so that I've spent quite a bit more money than I'd like to admit in the cash shop in the past 2 weeks.

Yesterday, while trying to enter a system to do a main story quest, I got an error stating "couldn't transfer character" the game then quickly closed and logged me out. I tried many times to enter the system, always with the same result. I tried dropping the mission and accepting it again, going to other sectors, etc... nothing worked.

I submitted a support ticket, and waited.....and waited.... and 16 hours later a GM replied to my ticket stating that they are aware of the problem but lack the development manpower to fix it at this time. But I can rest assured that it is on their priority list and will be fixed as soon as possible.

I couldn't believe that over two years after launch game breaking bugs like this still exist and they continue to pump out cash shop content and other fluff. My character is for the most part useless to me now. I am a completionist and even if I could skip the MAIN STORY quest I wouldn't want to. Not only that but if I start a new character I will not have most of the stuff I have spent cash on so it would be a total waste of money. As of today my character is still pretty much unplayable.

I am very disappointed in STO. It held real promise for me, I enjoyed playing it, there were many things to do in game, much better than I expected. But I just can't support the way these guys are doing things. It's shady at best.

While I cannot make a comment on the support ticket issue, the bug you encountered I have yet to see, and given the sheer number of people with giant starships that can only come with a lot of leveling, I would say that you might be in the minority.

Maybe its your computer and not the game?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Cryptic are far from being alone in this. It's a sad reflection on the state of the industry these days.

Support on their other title, Champions Online, is exactly the same. You *might* get a response but there's a pretty big chance it won't be worth anything. CO is also infested with bugs, some of which have existed since beta. They add to the list of bugs with each patch.

While they are both pretty fair games, they're not, in my opinion, worth spending money on at the moment. Certainly not while so many bugs, some game breaking, are simply not being dealt with.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

While I cannot make a comment on the support ticket issue, the bug you encountered I have yet to see, and given the sheer number of people with giant starships that can only come with a lot of leveling, I would say that you might be in the minority.

Actually, if you question the validity of this bug, check it out for yourself over at STO official forums. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=267499  There are many people who are suffering the same problem with differing levels of severity. So far 11 pages of posts in that thread and not a single response from anyone from Cryptic or PWE.

I really loathe when people come with that "it hasn't happened to me so it must be your computer" crap. Widen your view a bit and realize bugs can completely miss one person and smack the next in the face. That's just how it goes. But Cryptic/ PWE does not do well on the customer service end, and that was the moral of the story with the OP.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by MadDemon64 Originally posted by evolpc I am a bit burnt out on the fantasy genre so I thought I'd give STO a shot. To my surprise I found it quite enjoyable. So much so that I've spent quite a bit more money than I'd like to admit in the cash shop in the past 2 weeks. Yesterday, while trying to enter a system to do a main story quest, I got an error stating "couldn't transfer character" the game then quickly closed and logged me out. I tried many times to enter the system, always with the same result. I tried dropping the mission and accepting it again, going to other sectors, etc... nothing worked. I submitted a support ticket, and waited.....and waited.... and 16 hours later a GM replied to my ticket stating that they are aware of the problem but lack the development manpower to fix it at this time. But I can rest assured that it is on their priority list and will be fixed as soon as possible. I couldn't believe that over two years after launch game breaking bugs like this still exist and they continue to pump out cash shop content and other fluff. My character is for the most part useless to me now. I am a completionist and even if I could skip the MAIN STORY quest I wouldn't want to. Not only that but if I start a new character I will not have most of the stuff I have spent cash on so it would be a total waste of money. As of today my character is still pretty much unplayable. I am very disappointed in STO. It held real promise for me, I enjoyed playing it, there were many things to do in game, much better than I expected. But I just can't support the way these guys are doing things. It's shady at best.
    While I cannot make a comment on the support ticket issue, the bug you encountered I have yet to see, and given the sheer number of people with giant starships that can only come with a lot of leveling, I would say that you might be in the minority. Maybe its your computer and not the game?
    Actually, if you question the validity of this bug, check it out for yourself over at STO official forums. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=267499  There are many people who are suffering the same problem with differing levels of severity. So far 11 pages of posts in that thread and not a single response from anyone from Cryptic or PWE.

I really loathe when people come with that "it hasn't happened to me so it must be your computer" crap. Widen your view a bit and realize bugs can completely miss one person and smack the next in the face. That's just how it goes. But Cryptic/ PWE does not do well on the customer service end, and that was the moral of the story with the OP.

Exactly, and well said.

Congratulations, you misread my response.  

I suggested that the problem might not be with the game but with the computer, but never said that it WAS a problem with the computer. [ mod edit]

I suggested that the problem might not be with the game but with the computer, but never said that it WAS a problem with the computer.  You really seem to be close minded when it comes to people suggesting that buggy gameplay might not always be caused by game coding but by something else.

While I do apologize if I misunderstood your response, it was an honest error, as you gave the distinct impression that was your meaning. I am not close minded, but I am tech savvy enough to know the difference between a back end server hardware issue and an issue with my computer. Again if I misunderstood you I apologize. As you are a long time poster here I don't think I need to remind you how often people tend to generalize the bugs experienced by others as a problem with their computer. Way too often. It tends to detract from the actual discussion and is used to invalidate the issues that others are dealing with. That being said.... my mistake.

As a side note... I seem to have solved my own issue with the game and am back to enjoying it. If anyone else has this problem try changing the settings in the launcher to use the proxy for your region. This will slow down the updates you get while loading systems but you should be able to change it back to default after you have loaded the particular area you are having issues with. While I am enjoying the game again I do have a bitter taste in my mouth leftover from my experience with their support staff. Anyone know what makes a crap sandwich taste better? I'm thinking rosemary and garlic or a nice black peppercorn....

I suggested that the problem might not be with the game but with the computer, but never said that it WAS a problem with the computer.  You really seem to be close minded when it comes to people suggesting that buggy gameplay might not always be caused by game coding but by something else.

While I do apologize if I misunderstood your response, it was an honest error, as you gave the distinct impression that was your meaning. I am not close minded, but I am tech savvy enough to know the difference between a back end server hardware issue and an issue with my computer. Again if I misunderstood you I apologize. As you are a long time poster here I don't think I need to remind you how often people tend to generalize the bugs experienced by others as a problem with their computer. Way too often. It tends to detract from the actual discussion and is used to invalidate the issues that others are dealing with. That being said.... my mistake.

As a side note... I seem to have solved my own issue with the game and am back to enjoying it. If anyone else has this problem try changing the settings in the launcher to use the proxy for your region. This will slow down the updates you get while loading systems but you should be able to change it back to default after you have loaded the particular area you are having issues with. While I am enjoying the game again I do have a bitter taste in my mouth leftover from my experience with their support staff. Anyone know what makes a crap sandwich taste better? I'm thinking rosemary and garlic or a nice black peppercorn....

Um, I don't know too much computer lingo, but doesn't saying that changing the launcher to use the proxy of another region fixed the problem just admitting that the problem was on your end and not with the game itself in a roundabout way?

Um, I don't know too much computer lingo, but doesn't saying that changing the launcher to use the proxy of another region fixed the problem just admitting that the problem was on your end and not with the game itself in a roundabout way?

Nope, it sure isn't. It is a work around for a backend server problem that occurs when you are attempting to load a system to enter it. If you are familiar with STO, you must download a set of files for each system that you attempt to enter. Somewhere along the line if the back end that serves up the files has an error mid transfer it will be stuck in a bit of a loop and error out no matter how many times you try to enter that system and logs you out. By switching to the proxy I believe it somehow "resets" that error and allows the game to fully download the files needed for the system, probably has something to do with the change of protocols for the file transfer and reinitializes it. It is not something you should have to do and causes poor performance.

I find it funny that you now misunderstood me. Seems to be a lot of that going around. Even the support staff acknowledges that this is a legitimate bug. As a matter of fact, I have no idea whether my "work around" even solved the problem or perhaps it could have been fixed in the Season 6 update that took place yesterday. If they fixed it then I intend to give credit where credit is due. Like I said before, I like the game, only issue is with support.

Nope, it sure isn't. It is a work around for a backend server problem that occurs when you are attempting to load a system to enter it. If you are familiar with STO, you must download a set of files for each system that you attempt to enter. Somewhere along the line if the back end that serves up the files has an error mid transfer it will be stuck in a bit of a loop and error out no matter how many times you try to enter that system and logs you out. By switching to the proxy I believe it somehow "resets" that error and allows the game to fully download the files needed for the system, probably has something to do with the change of protocols for the file transfer and reinitializes it. It is not something you should have to do and causes poor performance.

I find it funny that you now misunderstood me. Seems to be a lot of that going around. Even the support staff acknowledges that this is a legitimate bug. As a matter of fact, I have no idea whether my "work around" even solved the problem or perhaps it could have been fixed in the Season 6 update that took place yesterday. If they fixed it then I intend to give credit where credit is due. Like I said before, I like the game, only issue is with support.

Think of it less of a misunderstanding of you, and more of a misunderstanding of what a proxy is.  As I said I don't know a lot about computer lingo, but I see where you are going.