Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man plays Civ II for 10 years

NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

This is a true testament to a great game. I just picked up Civ V recently and a friend told me Civ IV was even better. I forgot how truly enjoyable rts games can be. It is nice to play a turn-based game at my leisure on my own time.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/man-plays-same-game-civilization-ii-10-years-182343243.html

Comments

• FireFreakkFireFreakk Member Posts: 12

Civ III pwns everything.

Best game ever made in my opinion.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Favorite Civ type game of all times ---->  Alpha Centauri.

Amazing.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Amazing.

I was waiting for someone to bring up Sid Meier's best game, and the first title his own company, Firaxis, made.

Out of the regular Civ games, Civ2 really was a classic.  But I put the most time into Civ3.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Warmaker
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Amazing.

I was waiting for someone to bring up Sid Meier's best game, and the first title his own company, Firaxis, made.

Out of the regular Civ games, Civ2 really was a classic.  But I put the most time into Civ3.

Yeah Civ II was classic. Just improved in every sense Civ I version. Well done.  Only if AI would be better...

Civ III was fun, but I somehow lost my copy and then got into other games, so I havent played it so much.

Next to Civ II most time I've put into Civ IV.  Despite it's flaws imo it is great.

Civ V was very big let down though.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I do like old skool RTS games thats for sure...

It seems a growing tend in recent RTS game to remove all the good bits liek base building nad resource gathering and so on..

But there are still some good ones out there, Total war series being the stand out one :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by fenistil

It probably could have been been called that at launch but i think it has matured really nicely, and the new Xpack will make it what I would consider to be fully featured (the game it really should have launched as).

The trouble is the game can change but opinions usually don't, especially when it becomes the internet 'pro' opinion, so it will be remembered for being a 'let down'.

I personally prefer the combat in Civ V to any other.

Civ II is such a classic though... I had it installed on my PC fro literally years.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I had to go install Civ II last night, as well as the original sim city just for old times sake.

Maybe I am getting old and nostalgic, nearing 30 does that to a person, lol. 

The overall opinion seems to be Civ II was the best one, from what I've heard from many others. I think it's time I revisit the RTS genre for a while, at least until the MMO I am waiting for finally releases.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by fenistil

It probably could have been been called that at launch but i think it has matured really nicely, and the new Xpack will make it what I would consider to be fully featured (the game it really should have launched as).

The trouble is the game can change but opinions usually don't, especially when it becomes the internet 'pro' opinion, so it will be remembered for being a 'let down'.

I personally prefer the combat in Civ V to any other.

Civ II is such a classic though... I had it installed on my PC fro literally years.

With all the DLC and Expansion I think Civ V is at a respectable level for Civ fans. Im a sci fi geek so i keep Alpha Centauri installed at all times but I do think CiV 5 in its current form is pretty awesome.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

I'm a big, big fan of the Civ games...particularly III.  But, as said above, Alpha Centauri was the closest Meier ever came to perfecting this type of game.  It is still the best of the bunch.

I would gladly pay to play an update.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Nevulus

This is a true testament to a great game. I just picked up Civ V recently and a friend told me Civ IV was even better. I forgot how truly enjoyable rts games can be. It is nice to play a turn-based game at my leisure on my own time.

Civ isnt an RTS, you even say turn based after it, its impossible to be real time and turn based at the same time.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Civ isnt an RTS, you even say turn based after it, its impossible to be real time and turn based at the same time.

beat me to it.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

This is true, but to throw a wrench in that Civ 5 does not support play by turn for multiplayer. It is simultaneous (spelling?) turn. So in essence the game is still turn based but he who clicks first on the front lines could win the battle :)

I'm not disagreeing though it is a turn based and not RTS heh just wanted to throw that out there.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Fun story to read, brough lots of big nostalgic smiles.  Started on Civ 1 here, loved that game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I've played them all and agree with most. Civilization II was the best in it's series ever. Call to War was 'nice' but already on the road down, and III and IV were just outright bad. Never took the time to grab V... And yeah... Alpha Centauri was great as well ;)

Too bad that those games are not rinnung very well anymore on modern hardware :(

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I like Civ V quite a bit.  1 UPT is so much more interesting than stacks of doom.  The expansion is pretty nice too.  Religion is quite different than it was in IV, but overall religon gives you more options to play in different ways.  For example, one of the religion perks along with a new desert only wonder make a desert start into something positive.

tru indeed, i got so used to typing "rts" at friends lately trying to get them to try  Sins of a  Solar Empire Rebellion.

or to be a nitpick i can say i AM playing in real time, a turn-based strat game  :)  so by implication rts? heh

Civ V + all mods, dlc, expacs = sooooo much more better than vanilla version.

I been trying to squeeze in Anno 2070, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Civ V all in the same day everyday.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Explain that to the Total War series or SW: Empire at War. Both of these IPs had both Turn Based and Real Time elements to them. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }