Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold farmers destroy Diablo 3 real money market in a day.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by salenger

Yes and it happened very fast, the initial Real Money auction was in fact working as should, some people trying to sell for insane prices, obviously never actually selling a thing, others valued it at what they would pay for it themselves and were successful in doing so.

approximately 2 hours after it went live the market was flooded with all the high end items selling for 1-5 usd, items that others had successfully sold for much more, I for one sold a cple legendary rings for 20$ a piece...but hrs later noticed 100 of them listed....all being sold at $1.50usd, i knew it was going to happen, but i had hoped blizzard would have worked something out that banned overseas IPs :)....but they did not. (I know its asking a lot)

Purpose of thread is basically to discuss how easy it is for overseas gold farmers to completely destroy and in end result control a market...and im not just talking about MMO gold farming when i say that, it happens in almost every business market.  

Question is when do we push to have it stopped.

Personally i will not touch the real money trade anymore knowing that its controlled by overseas gold farmers, but all must know that they wouldnt be doing it if kids were not spending.

Like a previous player mentioned, gold farmers or not, the market was going to be flooded with items either way - thus raising competition and  then bringing down prices.  I fail to see how this is a bad thing for players.  The only ones losing out are the people who are TRYING to control the market.

Also, "Question is when do we push to have it stopped."  Its not "We" its "you".  I am not supporting your cause.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Ashen_X

Honest question here,

How does high supply keeping prices down so that commodoties are affordable ruin the market ?

I mean if you were honestly expecting to be able to play D3 as a job, a means of significant income, sure it might be a kick nithe guts, but did anyone really, honestly, with diligent consideration, think that they would be able to play a video game as a source of significant income ?

Sadly yes.  I can't tell you how many people i saw talking in Rift's level 50 chat saying they were planning on quitting their jobs and making money as a gamer.  It really wasnt a few.  People really are THAT stupid.

Something you need to learn about the internet and games. People say a lot of stuff just to make others upset/angry. What you said is one of those situations. If someone has gone to the trouble of getting a real job they will not just up and quit for the chance to become a farmer.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Most of you are having a very hard time understanding the market principles behind the Gold Auction House and the RMAH, and how exactacly it affects the way you play the game. 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

People are missing the point.

The RMAH was never intended to allow items to be sold at "reasonable" margins. You just have to look at the drop rates in the game, coupled with the fee system on the RMAH and the cap on BNet funds, to realise that the RMAH itself was never designed to allow people to sell items for high prices in the majority of cases.

Basically, the RMAH was designed to disrupt the item market that would have existed without it. Blizzard don't want people buying the rarest items in the game for $100-$200 from a third party company. They don't want that situation to exist for a number of reasons. One thing that was clear was that they realised that if they allowed the RMAH to facilitate such large transactions, the third party sellers could still function (and prosper) as much as they did in D3; they would be able to undercut those figures AND they would be selling more through the attention to RMT drawn by the RMAH. That's not a situation that Blizzard were likely to EVER allow to happen.

The only way to deal with that sort of problem is to saturate the market to the point where item prices are so low, there is nothing to be gained from trying to undercut them. Set drop rates relatively high, ensuring a healthy and high flow through for even the most rare of items, which drives down the prices on the RMAH and leaves no room for the dupers and TPRMT companies to undercut the RMAH = profit, and a massive victory.

It's far, far, far easier than battling them with Warden 2, as well.

Blizzard have, in a really inspired move, ensured that there is no real third party RMT market in Diablo 3 to speak of. EVERY transaction that happens in the game may well only get Blizzard 15-50c a pop, but when ALL of the transactions in the RMT market are happening on the RMAH - because they've left no alternative - they're still going to be making a HELL of a lot form it. And with item prices so low, they will surely have attracted a lot of people to part with their money than would have been the case without such a move.

Sound business practice, tbh. I'm mildly impressed that they actually went through with it, and people who didn't see it coming until the last moment will certainly be impressed with the entire idea.

The market may eventually settle out and allow for some movement, however it's done what it needed to do for the time being.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

People are missing the point.The RMAH was never intended to allow items to be sold at "reasonable" margins. You just have to look at the drop rates in the game, coupled with the fee system on the RMAH and the cap on BNet funds, to realise that the RMAH itself was never designed to allow people to sell items for high prices in the majority of cases.Basically, the RMAH was designed to disrupt the item market that would have existed without it. Blizzard don't want people buying the rarest items in the game for $100-$200 from a third party company. They don't want that situation to exist for a number of reasons. One thing that was clear was that they realised that if they allowed the RMAH to facilitate such large transactions, the third party sellers could still function (and prosper) as much as they did in D3; they would be able to undercut those figures AND they would be selling more through the attention to RMT drawn by the RMAH. That's not a situation that Blizzard were likely to EVER allow to happen.The only way to deal with that sort of problem is to saturate the market to the point where item prices are so low, there is nothing to be gained from trying to undercut them. Set drop rates relatively high, ensuring a healthy and high flow through for even the most rare of items, which drives down the prices on the RMAH and leaves no room for the dupers and TPRMT companies to undercut the RMAH = profit, and a massive victory.It's far, far, far easier than battling them with Warden 2, as well.Blizzard have, in a really inspired move, ensured that there is no real third party RMT market in Diablo 3 to speak of. EVERY transaction that happens in the game may well only get Blizzard 15-50c a pop, but when ALL of the transactions in the RMT market are happening on the RMAH - because they've left no alternative - they're still going to be making a HELL of a lot form it. And with item prices so low, they will surely have attracted a lot of people to part with their money than would have been the case without such a move.

If you think for an instant that they are trying to discourage the gold farming industry, then it is you who have missed the point. Diablo 3 is a gold farmer's paradise!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

The RMAH was never intended to allow items to be sold at "reasonable" margins. You just have to look at the drop rates in the game, coupled with the fee system on the RMAH and the cap on BNet funds, to realise that the RMAH itself was never designed to allow people to sell items for high prices in the majority of cases.

Basically, the RMAH was designed to disrupt the item market that would have existed without it. Blizzard don't want people buying the rarest items in the game for $100-$200 from a third party company. They don't want that situation to exist for a number of reasons. One thing that was clear was that they realised that if they allowed the RMAH to facilitate such large transactions, the third party sellers could still function (and prosper) as much as they did in D3; they would be able to undercut those figures AND they would be selling more through the attention to RMT drawn by the RMAH. That's not a situation that Blizzard were likely to EVER allow to happen.

The only way to deal with that sort of problem is to saturate the market to the point where item prices are so low, there is nothing to be gained from trying to undercut them. Set drop rates relatively high, ensuring a healthy and high flow through for even the most rare of items, which drives down the prices on the RMAH and leaves no room for the dupers and TPRMT companies to undercut the RMAH = profit, and a massive victory.

Blizzard have, in a really inspired move, ensured that there is no real third party RMT market in Diablo 3 to speak of. EVERY transaction that happens in the game may well only get Blizzard 15-50c a pop, but when ALL of the transactions in the RMT market are happening on the RMAH - because they've left no alternative - they're still going to be making a HELL of a lot form it. And with item prices so low, they will surely have attracted a lot of people to part with their money than would have been the case without such a move.

If you think for an instant that they are trying to discourage the gold farming industry, then it is you who have missed the point. Diablo 3 is a gold farmer's paradise!

Did you even read my post? >.>

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

It's an interesting angle to argue and I can't say I dislike it, but I'm skeptical that there weren't dollar signs wildly glowing in some exec's imagination.

People are missing the point. The RMAH was never intended to allow items to be sold at "reasonable" margins. You just have to look at the drop rates in the game, coupled with the fee system on the RMAH and the cap on BNet funds, to realise that the RMAH itself was never designed to allow people to sell items for high prices in the majority of cases. Basically, the RMAH was designed to disrupt the item market that would have existed without it. Blizzard don't want people buying the rarest items in the game for $100-$200 from a third party company. They don't want that situation to exist for a number of reasons. One thing that was clear was that they realised that if they allowed the RMAH to facilitate such large transactions, the third party sellers could still function (and prosper) as much as they did in D3; they would be able to undercut those figures AND they would be selling more through the attention to RMT drawn by the RMAH. That's not a situation that Blizzard were likely to EVER allow to happen. The only way to deal with that sort of problem is to saturate the market to the point where item prices are so low, there is nothing to be gained from trying to undercut them. Set drop rates relatively high, ensuring a healthy and high flow through for even the most rare of items, which drives down the prices on the RMAH and leaves no room for the dupers and TPRMT companies to undercut the RMAH = profit, and a massive victory. It's far, far, far easier than battling them with Warden 2, as well. Blizzard have, in a really inspired move, ensured that there is no real third party RMT market in Diablo 3 to speak of. EVERY transaction that happens in the game may well only get Blizzard 15-50c a pop, but when ALL of the transactions in the RMT market are happening on the RMAH - because they've left no alternative - they're still going to be making a HELL of a lot form it. And with item prices so low, they will surely have attracted a lot of people to part with their money than would have been the case without such a move.

Yes, and it really makes me think you have no comprehension of how many items the gold farmers have farmed and will farm... of tgey have to sell 17 billion items a week for a penny each, they got that shit covered. It's called slave labor.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by maplestone

It's an interesting angle to argue and I can't say I dislike it, but I'm skeptical that there weren't dollar signs wildly glowing in some exec's imagination.

You have to consider that they'd already made the "$$$".

And you also have to consider that the RMAH could easily be "wing clipped" by a third party RMT market that would have easily been able to undercut it. And with the RMAH they weren't simply "facilitating" RMT. They were outright endorsing it.

And arguably the $$$ signs are still there. The RMAH is the only viable source for items. Everyone will use it and trade on it. The flow through will be pretty high, with prices so low, so they'll still be making an impressive sum of money off fees.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Really no one should be surprised this would happen. It was called by many people, myself included, from the moment they announced real money AH being implemented.

I'm sure Blizzard knew it would happen as well. They've been combatting this crap in D2 and WoW for how long now?

They knew exactly what was going to happen. In fact, I'm sure they were banking on it, literally and figuratively.

Now that they're getting their cut of it, does anyone think they really care?

Oh, they'll put out the occasional PR saying they don't approve of RMT-related activities, just to shut people up and put on a good, "no really, we care" appearance. Behind the scenes, though, they and Kotick will be smiling ear to ear.

Pure greed move on Blizzard/Activision's part.

The tireless Blizzard defenders can spin, defend and white-knight it all they want. All the spin in the world can't change the reality that what many predicted is precisely what happened.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

The sad part about the RMAH is the fact that it has officially ruined the fun of the game by removing the purpose that came with playing it. This is essentially going to be an even bigger issue once pvp finally gets added as the ones who buy the best gear will probably have the overall advantage in fights. The whole p2w model from a b2p game is a major turn off for a number of players I am sure lol.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Really no one should be surprised this would happen. It was called by many people, myself included, from the moment they announced real money AH being implemented.I'm sure Blizzard knew it would happen as well. They've been combatting this crap in D2 and WoW for how long now?They knew exactly what was going to happen. In fact, I'm sure they were banking on it, literally and figuratively.Now that they're getting their cut of it, does anyone think they really care?Oh, they'll put out the occasional PR saying they don't approve of RMT-related activities, just to shut people up and put on a good, "no really, we care" appearance. Behind the scenes, though, they and Kotick will be smiling ear to ear.Pure greed move on Blizzard/Activision's part.The tireless Blizzard defenders can spin, defend and white-knight it all they want. All the spin in the world can't change the reality that what many predicted is precisely what happened.  

Yup^^

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

This still works out in blizzards favor.  If 2 items sell for 100 dollars, blizz makes a decent cut. If 1 million items sell at 1.50, Blizzard makes 1.25 million dollars.

The minimum deposit is there for a reason, to fill blizzard execs wallets even more. You think they honestly didn't see this coming? It was genius on Blizzards part. I just feel bad for the people who are still playing / buying this crap.

Yes, and it really makes me think you have no comprehension of how many items the gold farmers have farmed and will farm... of tgey have to sell 17 billion items a week for a penny each, they got that shit covered. It's called slave labor.

I don't think you actually understand what you're saying, or how ridiculous you sound.

I KNOW the RMT market; I WORKED in the RMT market. I know what the conditions are like in the shops in China where farmers work. I haven't been myself, but I know a great many people who have. Most RMT companies pay their workers MORE money on average than, for example, Apple's suppliers pay the people who make your iPhone (and they don't have to put up suicide nets to keep them alive). What do you have to say about Apple's suppliers? Nothing.

You have no idea what you are talking about, so why talk about it? I get that it makes you angry, but that's no excuse for ignorance.

Really no one should be surprised this would happen. It was called by many people, myself included, from the moment they announced real money AH being implemented.

I'm sure Blizzard knew it would happen as well. They've been combatting this crap in D2 and WoW for how long now?

They knew exactly what was going to happen. In fact, I'm sure they were banking on it, literally and figuratively.

Oh, they'll put out the occasional PR saying they don't approve of RMT-related activities, just to shut people up and put on a good, "no really, we care" appearance. Behind the scenes, though, they and Kotick will be smiling ear to ear.

The tireless Blizzard defenders can spin, defend and white-knight it all they want. All the spin in the world can't change the reality that what many predicted is precisely what happened.

I don't see why it's a bad thing?

Explain to me why it's a bad thing.

Explain it to me in terms we can all understand, specific and factual, without resorting to hyperbole.

I don't see why it's a bad thing?

Explain to me why it's a bad thing.

Explain it to me in terms we can all understand, specific and factual, without resorting to hyperbole.

Because instead of a game revolving around item drops and finding your own gear, we now have a game where the drops / stats / equip level are purposely ridiculously low, so that you have to spend money to progress in the game. It was bad with the gold AH, its TERRIBLE with the RMAH. Now, you can't even farm for gold. You are better off going to work for the day and spending your paycheck to upgrade..

All while blizzard sits back and takes a 75% cut per item, plus another 15% when you cash out.  Genius on Blizzards part, they will be making billions from this.    Just sad that so many players / fans are treated this way to make more cash.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

I don't think you actually understand what you're saying, or how ridiculous you sound.

I KNOW the RMT market; I WORKED in the RMT market. I know what the conditions are like in the shops in China where farmers work. I haven't been myself, but I know a great many people who have. Most RMT companies pay their workers MORE money on average than, for example, Apple's suppliers pay the people who make your iPhone (and they don't have to put up suicide nets to keep them alive). What do you have to say about Apple's suppliers? Nothing.

You have no idea what you are talking about, so why talk about it? I get that it makes you angry, but that's no excuse for ignorance.

speaking of ingorance, slave labor is still slave labor, it doesn't matter how its spun.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Bottom line is that Blizzard has created free profit from the farming market, like a tax. And for people who want to buy "legit" items, Blizz will take their money too!

Win x 2 situation for Blizz, bravo, well played. The only people who actually lose are the asain farmers and semi-competitive gamers. Well, some scammer lose out aswell but no one cares about scammers anyway.

Originally posted by Trionicus

Bottom line is that Blizzard has created free profit from the farming market, like a tax. And for people who want to buy "legit" items, Blizz will take their money too!

Win x 2 situation for Blizz, bravo, well played. The only people who actually lose are the asain farmers and semi-competitive gamers. Well, some scammer lose out aswell but no one cares about scammers anyway.

Don't forget the gamers that have to suffer through lowered stats / drop rates / equip levels because of the AH system. I'd say they lose something in this too.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Laross

speaking of ingorance, slave labor is still slave labor, it doesn't matter how its spun.

Wait how is tht slave labor? They get paid (well by most accounts) even being able to live off what they can make. They are actually treated pretty well compared to other workers in the work market in the area, and they do not have to do that form of work IE forced to do it. Anyone actually brings real hard proof they use slave labor sure we can talk, but till than it is like working in most other areas of that country. Hacking accoounts and such is done by some but not all gold farming groups or people, and is not always a main stay of the market that is part of it. Many gold farmers choose to become gold farmers and are not forced, so this slave labor bull is kinda moot.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by eayes

I don't really care, hadn't planned on buying items from the RMAH.

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

$8 total or $8 of each $20 sale?  Taking %20 to %40 percent as a processing fee for themselves is insane.  Blizzard once again has lied and said they are providing a service when really they are just screwing people over.  Could you imagine if ebay took %20 to %40 percent of the sales on it's site.

Originally posted by stratasaurus

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

$8 total or $8 of each $20 sale?  Taking %20 to %40 percent as a processing fee for themselves is insane.  Blizzard once again has lied and said they are providing a service when really they are just screwing people over.  Could you imagine if ebay took %20 to %40 percent of the sales on it's site.

Blizzard is actually taking closer to an 80 percent cut off every item that will be sold. With the farmers putting thousands of items up for $1.50, this is how much items are going to cost.    Blizzard gets $1 for every transaction no matter the price. Plus, Blizzard takes an additional %15 when you cash out.  

This means the only two people making money from this are the Farmers and Blizzard. The actual players, well, we have 2 options. Quit, or pay for Blizzard to buy their jet skis with gold spinning rims.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

Blizzard is actually taking closer to an 80 percent cut off every item that will be sold. With the farmers putting thousands of items up for $1.50, this is how much items are going to cost.    Blizzard gets $1 for every transaction no matter the price. Plus, Blizzard takes an additional %15 when you cash out.  

This means the only two people making money from this are the Farmers and Blizzard. The actual players, well, we have 2 options. Quit, or pay for Blizzard to buy their jet skis with gold spinning rims.

That is just a shame.  I hate Blizzard I seriously doubt I will buy one of their products again but really who is better I guess?  Anyways if that is case makes sense that Blizzard will want gold farmers.  With a $1 auto then a Mil items sold at 1.50 will net them alot more then 100,000 people buying at $10.50...Blizzards share would go from 250.000 to well over a Million.  People are more willing to pay 1.50 then 10.50 for a item so many small transactions means a lot more money for Blizzard. Looks like Blizzard has found a way to make gold farmers actually be a advantage for them.  I doubt they will even be trying to stop these guys.

Gonna redo my Math for my demo I used to show my point more.

Reg players put 100,000 items up for 15.00 a piece

Total amount sold is $1.5M...Blizzards cut (100,000*1)+(1,500,000*.15(15%))=$325,000

Bots sell 1M items for $1.5 dollars a piece

Total amount sold is $1.5M(same) Blizzards cut(1,000,000*1)+(1,500,000*.15(15%))=$1,225,000(alot more money for Blizzard)

So if prices drop by 90% but people spend same amount of total money buying items Blizzard will make just about 4x more money.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit. The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

The ones spamming chat will no longer survive as a business unless they find insane exploits to let them supply an insane quantity of goods.  Without that, they die because the supply of RMT gold rises so much that goldselling is no longer a profitable business.

Pretty basic economics, guy.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

The problem if you havent noticed is all the stuff thats worth buying is not on the regular gold AH because everyone thinks they're gonna make bookoo bucks on the RMAH.  It was epic fail from the point it was an idea...

Well in an ideal world, maybe it would of been a good thing for those into it.

I am totally against cheats in a MMO. RMT IMO is a cheat. Pretty simple from where I am sitting.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.