Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold farmers destroy Diablo 3 real money market in a day.

Comments

• BlueCameoBlueCameo Member Posts: 93

I'm glad there wasn't a single sale and blizzard gave a big middle finger to anyone thinking they'll make a buck off diablo. 

So fekken hillarious.

It's like a "YOU BEEN EX'D BRO!"

"Good, honorable gamers will continue to fit the bill for the poor and lower classed people. It's just a sign of the times." ~ Anonymous. Lakexeno.com

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

How is this shocking? I gaurentee blizzard doesn't care because they get their fee's(which are flat, so not based on item value). And with more auctions posted and sold equals more money for activision.

You were naive to think blizzard could or would contain farmers/botters.

Originally posted by Cinge

How is this shocking? I gaurentee blizzard doesn't care because they get their fee's(which are flat, so not based on item value). And with more auctions posted and sold equals more money for activision.

You were naive to think blizzard could or would contain farmers/botters.

And you were even more naive once you see the 10% processing fee when you take from blizz account to bank...that you really do make pennies on the dollar.

"Good, honorable gamers will continue to fit the bill for the poor and lower classed people. It's just a sign of the times." ~ Anonymous. Lakexeno.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by salenger
    Yes and it happened very fast, the initial Real Money auction was in fact working as should, some people trying to sell for insane prices, obviously never actually selling a thing, others valued it at what they would pay for it themselves and were successful in doing so.approximately 2 hours after it went live the market was flooded with all the high end items selling for 1-5 usd, items that others had successfully sold for much more, I for one sold a cple legendary rings for 20$ a piece...but hrs later noticed 100 of them listed....all being sold at $1.50usd, i knew it was going to happen, but i had hoped blizzard would have worked something out that banned overseas IPs :)....but they did not. (I know its asking a lot)Purpose of thread is basically to discuss how easy it is for overseas gold farmers to completely destroy and in end result control a market...and im not just talking about MMO gold farming when i say that, it happens in almost every business market.  Question is when do we push to have it stopped. Personally i will not touch the real money trade anymore knowing that its controlled by overseas gold farmers, but all must know that they wouldnt be doing it if kids were not spending.

Where is your proof that it was overseas?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

Haha!  That's Diablo in a nutshell.  I thought it was good enough before I discovered MMO's, shortly after D2 release, and now the thought of throwing $60 out the window for this is laughable.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I was it expecting it to be filled with russian/asian farmers but this is hillarious. Those defending it have their heads in the sand imo. Sure it was gonna crash a bit when it first came out due to people hoarding everything in anticipation but this is far beyond that by a billion light years.

Take a look at any games non real money auction house, even ones like WoW's that has rampant gold farmer influence. Items still have a decent worth, some items still sell at crazyily high prices like rare mounts, BoE pets and epic red gems. For the average max lvl player, most of those items are only obtainable by either grinding gold yourself for days or buying it from a farmer, far from a trivial, worthless economy like Diablo. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by eayes

I don't really care, hadn't planned on buying items from the RMAH.

The problem if you havent noticed is all the stuff thats worth buying is not on the regular gold AH because everyone thinks they're gonna make bookoo bucks on the RMAH.  It was epic fail from the point it was an idea...

Hey wait, I thought the whole point of it was to get rid of third party trade sites that couldnt be trusted with card information etc.

doesnt the AH fix this by allowing the sellers to do the same thing as before, but through a trusted payment method?

whats the issue here?

I dont have the game, so I am asking.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Six and a half million people bought the game. If 10% of that six and a half million want to sell stuff on the RMAH, that's six hundred and fifty thousand people trying to sell something. If only 1% of the people trying to sell stuff are farming Diablo, or whatever the last act is to get gear, that's six thousand, five hundred people trying to sell the best gear in the game. Right now, six thousand, five hundred people are all farming the same section of the game to sell the same stuff to the same group of people. It's not Chinese Gold Farmers...though I'm sure they're in there. It's just regular players.

There is no way this wasn't going to happen. I had not thought about the shear number of people, but it makes sense.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Why are you buying any items?   Is there some competition in game I am not aware of?  Is there some form of virtual property you must defend?  Will not having item X mean you can't play and enjoy the game?  I guess I am dumb founded.   Also, it's not even an MMO.   It is a single-player with co-op optional play.    No persistent world where you interact with people or compete.   So all these questions I asked stand.   What's the point?   

Originally posted by Teala

Why are you buying any items?   Is there some competition in game I am not aware of?  Is there some form of virtual property you must defend?  Will not having item X mean you can't play and enjoy the game?  I guess I am dumb founded.   Also, it's not even an MMO.   It is a single-player with co-op optional play.    No persistent world where you interact with people or compete.   So all these questions I asked stand.   What's the point?   

The point is, everyone's trying to sell and there's zero point to buy. :P

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by BlueCameo

and if everyone is trying to sell and few will buy .. prices will crash and people will go back to play the game. In fact, this is a game very BAD for gold farmers because good items never leave the market and prices are going to crash and crash in the long run.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

As someone who won't use the RMAH (I was hoping to make it to 60 before it went live so I could walk away, almost made it)  I can tell you a concern is what impact it will have on the regular AH.  Because of the AH and the RMAM and Blizz's desire to get people to use them, in game drops have been severely downgraded. Most items are 10 levels below my current level and factor in the random assignment of stats most of it is useless anyway so players go to the AH (The random assignment of stats makes crafting an expensive crap shoot that also makes the AH a better deal for gear. As Blizz intended). For those players, the concern is how the AH will be impacted by the RMAH. Will the good items previously available on the AH move to the RMAH driving players there?

• mmosftl.commmosftl.com Member Posts: 21

blizz just made a ton of cash off of this stupid idea they knew was not gonna work. that seems to be the model of mmos also  these days..they know it will fail, but lets overhype it and make a ton of cash and who cares what happens after that.."swtor"

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by BlueCameo

and if everyone is trying to sell and few will buy .. prices will crash and people will go back to play the game. In fact, this is a game very BAD for gold farmers because good items never leave the market and prices are going to crash and crash in the long run.

Let them try though. Hell I heard someone say they plan on selling a few items a week to pay for their monthly internet bill. I about fell out of my chair when I heard that.

Some people are just too hard up LMAO....

Originally posted by Paradigm68

As someone who won't use the RMAH (I was hoping to make it to 60 before it went live so I could walk away, almost made it)  I can tell you a concern is what impact it will have on the regular AH.  Because of the AH and the RMAM and Blizz's desire to get people to use them, in game drops have been severely downgraded. Most items are 10 levels below my current level and factor in the random assignment of stats most of it is useless anyway so players go to the AH (The random assignment of stats makes crafting an expensive crap shoot that also makes the AH a better deal for gear. As Blizz intended). For those players, the concern is how the AH will be impacted by the RMAH. Will the good items previously available on the AH move to the RMAH driving players there?

Believe me, everyone noticed that right away. Blizzard is digging it's own grave in this one since everyone's keeping a watchful eye.

It's the same thing as when the pathetic asian games make people over time buy something in the cash shop that was previously readily available in the game.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by matthewearl

blizz just made a ton of cash off of this stupid idea they knew was not gonna work. that seems to be the model of mmos also  these days..they know it will fail, but lets overhype it and make a ton of cash and who cares what happens after that.."swtor"

If they made a ton of cash then the idea wasn't stupid and it worked... If you're Blizz.

Originally posted by Aori

To the OP, not sure why you're lying about the whole legendary items being flooded, sure the crap ones are cheap but that is expected.

The only issue is the regular AH, right now it'll gonna be hard getting the upgrades you want without using the RMAH. However I think once people notice that items aren't selling they'll come back to the GAH. Lets face it, everyone wants to sell and only a fraction want to buy. 5 sellers per 1 customer just doesn't work.

Only a fraction? Sites have SimBots up right now monitoring the auction house. Not a single one has posted a sell yet.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

personally I always assumed some items would go for a couple of dollars here and there but as a more casual player thats good for me.  a few items sold and I can pay for a WoW sub or save it up and buy a new game.  I never expected to make hundreds in one go.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by Parameter

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

Seeing as Blizzard takes only $1.00 per trade, I call bullshit.  I bet you haven't sold a thing.

Thats it you put it into blizzard account, using paypal directly its that + cash out 15% fee, i did not use an authenticator, just SMS.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

So gold farmers "ruined" the market by flooding the market and reducing the price of something from 20.00 to 1.50.

And this is a bad thing?

Only for the seller, I'd say most buyers would be pretty happy, and it seems from what I'm reading you'll almost want to be a buyer in order to get the gear you need to beat upper levels w/o massive farming.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Honest question here,

How does high supply keeping prices down so that commodoties are affordable ruin the market ?

I mean if you were honestly expecting to be able to play D3 as a job, a means of significant income, sure it might be a kick in the guts, but did anyone really, honestly, with diligent consideration, think that they would be able to play a video game as a source of significant income ?

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Gold farmers didn't destroy Diablo 3, Blizzard did by taking something (i.e. RMT) that was present but looked down upon in Diablo 2 and making it present and encouraged in Diablo 3.

Blizzard has really been selling out recently, no?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Ashen_X

Honest question here,

How does high supply keeping prices down so that commodoties are affordable ruin the market ?

I mean if you were honestly expecting to be able to play D3 as a job, a means of significant income, sure it might be a kick nithe guts, but did anyone really, honestly, with diligent consideration, think that they would be able to play a video game as a source of significant income ?

Sadly yes.  I can't tell you how many people i saw talking in Rift's level 50 chat saying they were planning on quitting their jobs and making money as a gamer.  It really wasnt a few.  People really are THAT stupid.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Parameter

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

Seeing as Blizzard takes only $1.00 per trade, I call bullshit.  I bet you haven't sold a thing.

Thats it you put it into blizzard account, using paypal directly its that + cash out 15% fee, i did not use an authenticator, just SMS.

You've just been caught in a lie friend, we'll just say you need an authenticator to use the RMAH. So your whole post was a fabrication, good job.

I'm pretty sure he meant he doesn't have a physical authenticator but the smartphone app that sends you the code.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

The RMAH was great for me when it first came up.  In roughly 4 hours I made enough money to buy the tv I want and a PS3 with a couple games and I still have a good amount left over. It wasnt even with "uber" items. I'm only farming act1 inferno. I sold nearly everything I had saved. 2 and a half tabs of jewelry and a couple weapons. Of course now I couldnt even give what didnt sell away but do you think I care? It has nothing to do with botters. It had everything to do with useing your damn head and knowing that the first couple hours where ripe for making money and knowing shortly after it went live the market would be flooded with items.

Now that I have made my money I intended to play for me. But with the new session restrictions to help "server load" aka "force people to use the RMAH where all the good items are cheap" I'm just going to attempt to get a refund on the game tomorrow. At this point with all the nerfs and "fixes" which are clearly directed at forcing people to the RMAH I just have no interest in D3. PoE is pretty good and eventually Torchlight will be out to get my dungeon crawl fix. If they dont give me a refund because I have clearly made money off them thats fine. If they are stupid enough to refund me all the better.

PS: I was selling +vit + all resis jewelry at $15-20 each that I got for 5k off venders. OP way underpriced his stuff it he got to the AH shortly after it went up. High int or dex jewelry with IAS that was bought from venders where selling for $25 each and selling quickly. I think it took me about 2 hours to sell over 2 tabs of jewelry. L2Exploit stupid people.