Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No "leashing" on mob aggression? What?

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

This is getting ridiculous. You are assumign that only lazy players or afk players would be trained by mobs. Even if i teleport to safe place and want to come back and yet the other player still intents only on trainign and griefing, it is still hampering my game experince. Also, sometimes players could be busy engaged with mobs when other person tries to train you and not igivng you enough time to react.

Anet has gone long way to make sure griefing doesn't exist in GW2 and i am pretty sure this is not how they intded for the aggro to work.

What will be the next step? Asking to nerf dynamic events, because some may spawn on your while AFK in the wilds? Because I died once while being AFK somewhere apparently "safe" because a dynamic event started and the mobs owned me. Should I go whine about this too, because I behaved like a noob going afk somewhere unsafe? Please.

It's a common trend in the current MMO player generation (and the current generation in general) to blame others for their own mistakes. This is a minor issues exagerated by the OP and other similar people who make a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like EQ or AC1, where you could train mobs for miles/kilometers, the mob leash (back to spawn) is quite short in GW2. But sadly, some people won't stop until they got this game too dumbed down to the average Wow clone level.

Two things:

1) if you are AFK in the wilds and die, for ANY reason, you can ONLY blame YOURSELF. Nobody else. You acted stupidly, you pay the price.

2) if you get agro from other mobs while fighting your own mobs, be it accidentally or because of another players, you better get used to it, because it's part of the game core "cooperative combat without grouping" mechanics. As I said, many abilities you use also affect other players, buff them, heal them, boost them, and you can not remove those without completely ruining the game. It's a bit like a WOW player complaining that he got agro while using AOE on another player's mobs. It's nonsense.

1 can be easily avoided, and 2 is part of the game, you can't remove it without chaning the core gameplay, and that hopefully won't happen.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I wasn't being general, I was being specific.

I was calling HIM a sleepy lazy safe mode gamer that was maybe just posting to cause negative drama.

While you were specifically targetting him... /yadeyadeya

Whatever. I don't really care tbh.

Now, lets get back on topic and talk about how ridiculous it is to complain about the game making to stay awake and be aware of where you decide to stop to take a pee.

I don't think it is ridiculous. Arenanet has aimed to create a game that abhors all form of griefing; therefore, any form of griefing, currently available in the game, is worth complaining about. 

Specially casual gamers should be able to take a pee without having to fear that a mavelolent person can train mobs to kill them. 

1. I have yet to see this as 'griefing'. Asking players to be environmentally aware and alert and to, y'know, stay awake, is not a 'grief' mechanic. It is a challenge mechanic, but then I guess a lot of people see challenge as 'grief'.

2. ...just LOL. Even 'casual gamers' should not get a free pass to nip off AFK for a pee standing in range of a dangerous area. What does being 'casual' even have to do with it?

Look... don't want to die when AFK in a mob spawn? Click on one of those waypoint things. It's so easy even a 'casual' can manage it.

This is actually getting more and more ridiculous.

It is griefing when a  player intentionally uses a game mechanic to harm, cause "grief" to,  another player's character. 

Casual gamers have less time to worry about what other players can do against  them. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by jpnz

1. I have yet to see this as 'griefing'. Asking players to be environmentally aware and alert and to, y'know, stay awake, is not a 'grief' mechanic. It is a challenge mechanic, but then I guess a lot of people see challenge as 'grief'.

2. ...just LOL. Even 'casual gamers' should not get a free pass to nip off AFK for a pee standing in range of a dangerous area. What does being 'casual' even have to do with it?

Look... don't want to die when AFK in a mob spawn? Click on one of those waypoint things. It's so easy even a 'casual' can manage it.

I haven't played the beta so I might be off on my concerns here.

Yeah, you are somewhat. The leashing they are talking about not being there isn't the same leashing as in games like VG or whatever. The term is being a bit misused in this thread tbh. I can understand the confusion.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

This is getting ridiculous. You are assumign that only lazy players or afk players would be trained by mobs. Even if i teleport to safe place and want to come back and yet the other player still intents only on trainign and griefing, it is still hampering my game experince. Also, sometimes players could be busy engaged with mobs when other person tries to train you and not igivng you enough time to react.

Anet has gone long way to make sure griefing doesn't exist in GW2 and i am pretty sure this is not how they intded for the aggro to work.

What will be the next step? Asking to nerf dynamic events, because some may spawn on your while AFK in the wilds? Because I died once while being AFK somewhere apparently "safe" because a dynamic event started and the mobs owned me. Should I go whine about this too, because I behaved like a noob going afk somewhere unsafe? Please.

It's a common trend in the current MMO player generation (and the current generation in general) to blame others for their own mistakes. This is a minor issues exagerated by the OP and other similar people who make a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like EQ or AC1, where you could train mobs for miles/kilometers, the mob leash (back to spawn) is quite short in GW2. But sadly, some people won't stop until they got this game too dumbed down to the average Wow clone level.

Two things:

1) if you are AFK in the wilds and die, for ANY reason, you can ONLY blame YOURSELF. Nobody else. You acted stupidly, you pay the price.

2) if you get agro from other mobs while fighting your own mobs, be it accidentally or because of another players, you better get used to it, because it's part of the game core "cooperative combat without grouping" mechanics. As I said, many abilities you use also affect other players, buff them, heal them, boost them, and you can not remove those without completely ruining the game. It's a bit like a WOW player complaining that he got agro while using AOE on another player's mobs. It's nonsense.

1 can be easily avoided, and 2 is part of the game, you can't remove it without chaning the core gameplay, and that hopefully won't happen.

You can blame both yourself, the person who intentionally used aggro mechanics to kill you and the company that designed the mechanics.  

I was calling HIM a sleepy lazy safe mode gamer that was maybe just posting to cause negative drama.

Now, lets get back on topic and talk about how ridiculous it is to complain about the game making to stay awake and be aware of where you decide to stop to take a pee.

I don't think it is ridiculous. Arenanet has aimed to create a game that abhors all form of griefing; therefore, any form of griefing, currently available in the game, is worth complaining about. 

Specially casual gamers should be able to take a pee without having to fear that a mavelolent person can train mobs to kill them. 

It is griefing when a  player intentionally uses a game mechanic to harm, cause "grief" to,  another player's character. 

Casual gamers have less time to worry about what other players can do against  them. 

Like I say, I have yet to see this malicious act happening and I refuse to take the worries of a random anon internet forum user as evidence that it does.

Catch us some fraps or something of it next time and maybe then we can discuss your hypothetical worries more properly.

Or maybe you have some youtube links for us?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's hard, but you can take on 5-6 mobs in your level range without eating dirt.

All about using your skills effectively and moving out of attacks.

I found myself solo'ing 3-4 big scary Ettin's and the skill point challenge Veteran in the first human zone, it was tough as hell but I survived and completed the challenge and killed everything, even after one or two respawn adds.

Use your weapon swap.

5 abilities on one set, switch, 5 abilities, switch back and first 5 likely all good to go again.

Utility skills included, like I said it's hard but definitely possible.

More so than any other MMO I have ever played, skill in combat > anything.

I'd always and I mean always help other players kill mobs. Even if I was just running by and the other player had only one mob they were easily handling, it has zero none no negative impact on them and a positive impact on me (loot, xp) to jump in and swing a few hits on the mob.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Two things:

You are just agruing now for the sake of it and trying to take this topic into another direction. I am only and only talking about mob trains and nothing more. I don't mind dying from hordes of mobs durind DE's or patrol mobs who jump at me from nowhere, it is not about making world safe but about not encouraging jack asses in MMOS to greif other players.

if someone is AFK deserves it but if you are actively engaged and are taken by surprise or are in position that you couldn't avoid the train the blame is on lousy mechanics and not the players.

Like i said earlier i really doubt that aggro in its current forrm is intentional let alone be 'core mechanic of the game'. You can not leave a system which can be expolited only on assumption that online community will just help each other out and play nice.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Specially casual gamers should be able to take a pee without having to fear that a malevlolent person can train mobs to kill them. 

This is just ridiculous. The mobs reset quickly enough that "training" isn't an issue in the game. I can't even understand how it happened to the OP it doesn't make ANY sense.

234 have you ever played Guild Wars 2? At least for 5 minutes. You tend to post on these forums and usually post nonsense or misinformed information that doesn't make any sense.

Everything mentioned on this topic is the PLAYER's fault there is nothing wrong with the game. If the players can't port to a waypoint before going to take a pee it's not the game's fault that they die. If you see lots of mobs following a player and stay there like a brick (thinking they might "reset") is also the player's fault. Seriously how much more hand-holding do people need these days?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Like I say, I have yet to see this malicious act happening and I refuse to take the worries of a random anon internet forum user as evidence that it does.

Catch us some fraps or something of it next time and maybe then we can discuss your hypothetical worries more properly.

Well, the OP is right, it CAN happen, because it's part of the core mechanics I've explained several times already. It's something that can't be changed without totally changing the game.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Oh I was under the impression that you were arguing that even if someone intentionally used aggro mechanics to kill another character, the owner of the killed character is the only one to blame. 

Like i said earlier i really doubt that aggro in its current forrm is intentional let alone be 'core mechanic of the game'. You can not leave a system which can be expolited only on assumption that online community will just help each other out and play nice.

You don't make sense here. What will they do, completely ruin the way cooperative gameplay works and remove all abilities that affect players who are nearby but not directly grouped with you? They may as well just completely ditch the game then, because it will completely ruin a major feature people love in this game.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Well, the OP is right, it CAN happen, because it's part of the core mechanics I've explained several times already. It's something that can't be changed without totally changing the game.

Oh, I get that you can pick up other's mobs in a spawn area, I don't question that... I think it's a good thing in fact. makes the game more unpredictable and fun for me.

I am questioning how common the 'griefing' practise of intentionally picking up a ton of mobs and then running around trying to survive while they beat on you in the hope that they peel off on to some AFK guy who is standing close enough to your area is.

I am questioning the exaggerated drama of the whole 'issue'.

if someone is AFK deserves it but if you are actively engaged and are taken by surprise or are in position that you couldn't avoid the train the blame is on lousy mechanics and not the players.

Nope it's still your fault no matter what you say. The mechanics are fine, learn to live with them. Those mechanics are the CORE OF THE Cooperative experience in the game, removing them is like removing the game.

@Vesavious People tend to overreact on these forums whenever something "bad" for the game appears. Make an issue out of nowhere [mod edit]

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

You don't make sense here. What will they do, completely ruin the way cooperative gameplay works and remove all abilities that affect players who are nearby but not directly grouped with you? They may as well just completely ditch the game then, because it will completely ruin a major feature people love in this game.

Lol completely ditch the game..seriously. The way game has been desgined it focuses on team play, i don't go around running in de's solo i joina gorup and communicate and work as a team. If i see a player engaged with mobs i don't help unless he asks for it. There is plenty of coperation to be had in GW2 through grouping i really doubt discouraging griefing by way of training mobs will make Anet go back to drawing boards.

Originally posted by seridan

Nope it's still your fault no matter what you say. The mechanics are fine, learn to live with them. Those mechanics are the CORE OF THE Cooperative experience in the game, removing them is like removing the game.

Sure whatever you say bud when Anet fixes it don't wait for me to tell you 'i told you so'.

Specially casual gamers should be able to take a pee without having to fear that a malevlolent person can train mobs to kill them. 

This is just ridiculous. The mobs reset quickly enough that "training" isn't an issue in the game. I can't even understand how it happened to the OP it doesn't make ANY sense.

234 have you ever played Guild Wars 2? At least for 5 minutes. You tend to post on these forums and usually post nonsense or misinformed information that doesn't make any sense.

Everything mentioned on this topic is the PLAYER's fault there is nothing wrong with the game. If the players can't port to a waypoint before going to take a pee it's not the game's fault that they die. If you see lots of mobs following a player and stay there like a brick (thinking they might "reset") is also the player's fault. Seriously how much more hand-holding do people need these days?

You are contradicting yourself. If the mobs reset quickly enough, why should anyone run away when they see a train of mobs following a player? I very much doubt you have tested the reset range and timers of every mob in the whole game or even a majority of them. 

As for your personal attack: you are welcome to point out what you find to be nonsense or misinformed information.  If the forum doesn't allow you due to the forum rules, you can take it through PMs and I'll reply when I have the free time to spare. 

They don't have to remove the mechanics, all they have to do is clearly enforce rules stating that certain behaviour is not allowed so that people don't try to do them. 

Lol completely ditch the game..seriously. The way game has been desgined it focuses on team play, i don't go around running in de's solo i joina gorup and communicate and work as a team. If i see a player engaged with mobs i don't help unless he asks for it. There is plenty of coperation to be had in GW2 through grouping i really doubt discouraging griefing by way of training mobs will make Anet go back to drawing boards.

I start to doubt that you even read my posts, or just understand what I'm saying... gonna try again using slightly different words.

How are you going to "fix" the ability to buff other players around you on the fly during combat by using your abilities, without completely ruining the spontaneous cooperation possibly between players which is one of the core mechanic and most attractive feature of this game?

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Oh I was under the impression that you were arguing that even if someone intentionally used aggro mechanics to kill another character, the owner of the killed character is the only one to blame. 

Like I say, show me this 'intentional' use. That's all I asking, because in my weekends I haven't seen it yet, and nor has ANY of my guild reported as having seen it.

BUT... going AFK in the middle of a spawn and getting killed by some other guy's peel offs... yeah, that's your fault, not his.

You know the mechanic, you know the danger. Instead of complaining for a game redesign, adapt.

You are contradicting yourself. If the mobs reset quickly enough, why should anyone run away when they see a train of mobs following a player? I very much doubt you have tested the reset range and timers of every mob in the whole game or even a majority of them. 

As for your personal attack: you are welcome to point out what you find to be nonsense or misinformed information.  If the forum doesn't allow you due to the forum rules, you can take it through PMs and I'll reply when I have the free time to spare. 

Where do you see the contradiction? Mobs reset quickly enough so running a few meters away is enough to avoid them. As an explorer I did test them, I tend to avoid unimportant conflict.

I start to doubt that you even read my posts, or just understand what I'm saying... gonna try again using slightly different words.

How are you going to "fix" the ability to buff other players around you on the fly during combat by using your abilities, without completely ruining the spontaneous cooperation possibly between players with is one of the core and most attractive feature of this game?

You think Anet isn't capable of keepiing buffing other players intact by fixing the way aggro works? my faith in Anet isn't that low. 

You think Anet isn't capable of keepiing buffing other players intact by fixing the way aggro works? my faith in Anet isn't that low. 

ANet can NOT allow players to buff/heal/boost others without being "noticed" by mobs, or it will be exploited. Changing this mechanics completely changes the way the game works, it would no longer be GW2 but something else.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

ANet can NOT allow players to buff/heal/boost others without being "noticed" by mobs, or it will be exploited. Changing this mechanics completely changes the way the game works, it would no longer be GW2 but something else.

Except PvP is a major aspect of GW2. So even if they changed it, a lot of GW2 would still be the same. 

Why not help the player if he is engaged with mobs? I always help everyone because everyone wins. I still don't understand what is exactly you want. Discouraging griefing what do you mean by that? Don't allow mobs to follow ALL players around them but only those engaged in someway? That will (and should) never happen. What will happen in events then? What will happen when the Centaurs for example attack the city? Who is aggroing there? Who is having the aggro? The npcs? And the mobs should avoid the players near the fort and instead attack the npcs only? Why would anyone want that?

Why not help the player if he is engaged with mobs? I always help everyone because everyone wins. I still don't understand what is exactly you want. Discouraging griefing what do you mean by that? Don't allow mobs to follow ALL players around them but only those engaged in someway? That will (and should) never happen. What will happen in events then? What will happen when the Centaurs for example attack the city? Who is aggroing there? Who is having the aggro? The npcs? And the mobs should avoid the players near the fort and instead attack the npcs only? Why would anyone want that?

Because sometimes players don't want help? it is rude just to jump in on assumption that he he needs help. i have tried that end result was that player iw as trying to help just got pissed off.

Do you run around solo during DE's? because i am always in group so there is no chace of the 'griefing' situation to arise.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Because sometimes players don't want help? it is rude just to jump in on assumption that he he needs help. i have tried that end result was that player iw as trying to help just got pissed off.

Do you run around solo during DE's? because i am always in group so there is no chace of the 'griefing' situation to arise.

Have you even played the game?