Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPS TESO interview

2»

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Kuppa

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/11/interview-zenimax-defends-elder-scrolls-online/

Doesn't seem like the E3 demo was too positive.....

As a TES fan, I am now starting to be seriously worried.

Paul Sage seems not to understand what people are expecting from a TES game.

They don't want just a game or just an RPG, they want a world (that's how you keep subscriptions).

The way he speaks remind me of SWTOR developers when they were explaining to the world how awesome and different their MMO was going to be, "you'll be the hero bla bla bla", ignoring the fact that once you reach the endgame and you finish your storyline you are not the hero anymore and you have a fuckall to do since the endgame is shit.

I really don't  get this "feeling like a hero" trend in MMOs.

If I want to feel like "the hero", I'd play Skyrim............from a MMO I want something different, I want to feel part of a "group of hearoes" who battle against the Evil.

Why developers don't understand this "tiny" detail?

This looks like another SWTOR in the making, even without knowing much about the game, just listening at the philosophy of this guy and his collegues at Zenimax is putting me off the game.

I hope Bethesda listen to the fanbase concern and forces Zenimax to create a product that the millions of TES fans out there can appreciate.

PS: By the way I love how the RPS guy questions the Zenimax Developer.

That's how interviews should be done..........MMORPG.com take note.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by ste2000

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/11/interview-zenimax-defends-elder-scrolls-online/

They don't want just a game or just an RPG, they want a world (that's how you keep subscriptions).

The way he speaks remind me of SWTOR developers when they were explaining to the world how awesome and different their MMO was going to be, "you'll be the hero bla bla bla", ignoring the fact that once you reach the endgame and you finish your storyline you are not the hero anymore and you have a fuckall to do since the endgame is shit.

If I want to feel like "the hero", I'd play Skyrim............from a MMO I want something different, I want to feel part of a "group of hearoes" who battle against the Evil.

This looks like another SWTOR in the making, even without knowing much about the game, just listening at the philosophy of this guy and his collegues at Zenimax is putting me off the game.

I hope Bethesda listen to the fanbase concern and forces Zenimax to create a product that the millions of TES fans out there can appreciate.

Because your "tiny" detail just happens to be one of the largest road blocks when creating an MMO.  How do you create an environment where everyone gets to be the hero and yet at the same time make each of those characters experiences feel relevant in terms of their ability to affect the world.  Far too many variables.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

The answers int he interview aren't very telling at all. They're actually quite vague and I was happy to see it. Hopefully they aren't too far in developement to change things around because by the sounds of what the market is saying.....not a lot of people will be pleased with some of the direction the devs have been taking.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by ZigZags

The answers int he interview aren't very telling at all. They're actually quite vague and I was happy to see it. Hopefully they aren't too far in developement to change things around because by the sounds of what the market is saying.....not a lot of people will be pleased with some of the direction the devs have been taking.

In dev since 2007, 2 years to go.  Most of the game is done.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by mmaize

Because your "tiny" detail just happens to be one of the largest road blocks when creating an MMO.  How do you create an environment where everyone gets to be the hero and yet at the same time make each of those characters experiences feel relevant in terms of their ability to affect the world.  Far too many variables.

When it comes to the "You are the Hero" feature in MMO's there are far to many variables which cheapens the whole "hero" thing to begin with.

1- When everyone is the Hero, no one really is

2- The game treats you like the Hero, but also treats everyone else the same. Diminishing your  hero-ness

3- The game treats you as the Hero, yet still gives you very menial un-Heroic things to do

4- The game treats you as the Hero up to the point you finish the questline or out-level the content area and then all but ignores you

5- For all the Heroic deeds you have done, none of it ever actually has an affect on the world. It barely has an affect on your "Hero"

Its such a forced mechanic. To progress in the game world, there is virtually no way to NOT be the Hero and maybe just a regular guy or even an Anti-Hero or Badguy (you are never really "bad", just...darker)

Its like now-a-days with kids sports. They hand out medals and trophies to every kid so EVERYONE IS A WINNER /herp

There cant be any losers because someone might feel bad. /ah-derp

When EVERYONE is a Winner, NO-ONE is a Winner. /duh-deedly-derp-a-doo

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by mmaize

First why does everyone need to be "the" hero?  Whats wrong with a group of players working together to beat a foe they can't beat alone. 

Secondly if your going to make everyone "the" hero don't start that way.  In a game as long as an MMO you shouldn't start of as the badass hero, you should start of a poen and work your way to god slayer. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by Drakxii

First why does everyone need to be "the" hero?  Whats wrong with a group of players working together to beat a foe they can't beat alone. 

Secondly if your going to make everyone "the" hero don't start that way.  In a game as long as an MMO you shouldn't start of as the badass hero, you should start of a poen and work your way to god slayer. 

Because a lot of players dont want to start off as a peon. They want to be a god slayer in the newb zone and feel that way all the way to the end.

I remember when I first started in UO. I got wtfpwnd by a chicken! I felt like such a peon, but I chopped trees and I mined and I build up my strength and my skills and eventually, after alot of work, that chicken rued the day he messed with me! I became the Chicken Slayer!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Its actually dissapointing, that the ES fanbase is filled with such completely ignorant thoughts towards this game.  Them making a themepark isnt hurting the franchise, isn't going to prevent us from playing the single player RPGS for that experience that fans think they are being deprived of, and single player ES titles will continue to come (anyone else looking forward to dawnguard dlc?).  Now would it have made more sense to make a more ES Online type game, sure why not.  But most of the comments being thrown at this game are from perspectives that have no place in MMO discussion, just dont play it then and continue to play skyrim/oblivion/morrowind.  Zenimax also has every right to defend what they're doing.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

RockPaperShotgun has just won themselves a fan. Its sad when you see tese huge gaming news companies like IGN just catering to all the developers, asking them questions and nodding "Yes Sir" everytime they say a half-assed response no matter how off it may sound.

These guys asked tough questions and didnt let up. I for one am glad that theres still some serious gamers out there taking games seriously. We need more people like them and as I said before they won my respect morethan anything else.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

RockPaperShotgun has just won themselves a fan. Its sad when you see tese huge gaming news companies like IGN just catering to all the developers, asking them questions and nodding "Yes Sir" everytime they say a half-assed response no matter how off it may sound.

These guys asked tough questions and didnt let up. I for one am glad that theres still some serious gamers out there taking games seriously. We need more people like them and as I said before they won my respect morethan anything else.

haha he got absolutly nothing from him, what a lame interview.

Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

haha he got absolutly nothing from him, what a lame interview.

The Interviewer was great, it was the person being interviewed that made it lame.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Its actually dissapointing, that the ES fanbase is filled with such completely ignorant thoughts towards this game.  Them making a themepark isnt hurting the franchise, isn't going to prevent us from playing the single player RPGS for that experience that fans think they are being deprived of, and single player ES titles will continue to come (anyone else looking forward to dawnguard dlc?).  Now would it have made more sense to make a more ES Online type game, sure why not.  But most of the comments being thrown at this game are from perspectives that have no place in MMO discussion, just dont play it then and continue to play skyrim/oblivion/morrowind.  Zenimax also has every right to defend what they're doing.

You utterly miss the point.

The experience we are being deprived of is not that of the single-player TES games.  It is that of a true TES MMO that we all know would be prefectly possible.  They have only chosen to sell out and take the easy road, completely steam-rolling what most fans love about TES in favor of what amounts to no more than DAOC 2 with TES' name attached.

We cannot play Skyrim with friends, unless the Skyrim Online project has some amount of success (which they haven't) and even then, not in an MMO environment.

Zenimax can defend themselves all they want, but frankly why would they?  They know what they're doing.  I refuse to believe they are SO stupid that they didn't see this kind of reaction coming.  Or may be they really don't understand the IP they've been trusted with one bit.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

1. what specific ignorance are you refering to? please be specific like we have.

2. we are just pointing out the game blows. You have the right to disagree.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me