Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awakening Update #10

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV published another brief update today on the status of Awakening.

"The Test Server has enjoyed several server side updates and patches this week introducing lots of new GUI, illegal items (more on that in the near future) and a big change in the form of updated (high detail) sets of armours and weapons!"

The rest of it, including a couple of screenshots that show some of the changes being made, can be seen here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/focus-group-update-10.75661/

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Rohn

"The Test Server has enjoyed several server side updates and patches this week introducing lots of new GUI, illegal items (more on that in the near future) and a big change in the form of updated (high detail) sets of armours and weapons!"

The rest of it, including a couple of screenshots that show some of the changes being made, can be seen here:

Lol the rest of it is them announcing they are taking vacation before they finish!!

Classic SV, just classic.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by psykobilly

Lol the rest of it is them announcing they are taking vacation before they finish!!

Classic SV, just classic.

While some of them appear to be taking a few days (how dare they!!!), not everyone is:

2. It should be well worth the wait guys, we are very excited here at SV, and we think you will enjoy whats coming in Awakening. There are a lot of things that we never mentioned thats in Awakening.

While some of the guys here are having some days off to refill their energy so they are set for the last touch of Awakening, Im working on some interesting areas atm such as one of my old favourite features, Illegal items just like Theia said. Im going to give some examples of how this system works a bit more in detail in the next week. As you may know the Tindremic Empire and its Emperor do control Myrland, or thats at least how they see them self, ruling Myrland. The Emperor have set laws on whats legal to obtain or learn or not in Myrland. he have also banned all magic schools accept the common school that you know of. Since you will be walking the streets of Tindrem where the emperor rules you will do good in learning his rules to be prepared.

•  
      • Dislike
      •  
      • Agree
      •  
      • Disagree
      •  
      • Funny
      •  
      • Winner
      •  
      • Informative
      •  
      • Friendly
      •  
      • Useful
      •  
      • Creative

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/focus-group-update-10.75661/page-2#post-1320721

Appears the illegal contraband they are talking about is more than just the ill-gotten gains of thieves.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Hm, I can't quite make out if the new armor is just them daring to render higher resolution texture or it actually has higher amount of details polygon wise :S Looks better none the less, glad they are no longer using textures from year 2000.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Looks much nicer, but i dont think anyone had any particular issues with the way armour looked, more likely people want to see new armour types as opposed to improved old armour types. Mostly for SV to finally prove they solved their issue with max number of textures etc. (basically their is a limiation with having so many seperate armour pieces and combinations of texture per model that they couldnt add anymore unqiue textures to the game (exactly why jadite was black instead of green) devs said they fixed this issue long ago but have yet to show us any sign of it being fixed.

The ilegal goods thing sounds interesting and most likely influenced by TES. But i have no idea how they plan to make this system work in a game were you can use priests to res and were theres no jails but i cant wait to find out.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

i dont think anyone had any particular issues with the way armour looked,

Dude you really need to knock off the fanboi crap.

People have been asking for the high-res armor textures from beta, since release happened.

i dont think anyone had any particular issues with the way armour looked,

Dude you really need to knock off the fanboi crap.

People have been asking for the high-res armor textures from beta, since release happened.

well personally i wouldnt of put it high on the priority list. Players ask for everything but if you asked them what sv needed to implement i highly doubt this would of been top of their list.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

No screenies of the new GUI?

I think a functional, modern-looking GUI would do wonders for MO, I don't understand why they've delayed it for so long.

Originally posted by Biskop

I think a functional, modern-looking GUI would do wonders for MO, I don't understand why they've delayed it for so long.

from what i know of they have 2 people working on the GUI, paratus codes it all and antoher developer designs all the 2d art windows etc. Since paratus admitted he has little skill when it coems to doing art and he wouldnt be designing all the flash art someone else would possibly freelance possibly 1 of the other developers having to do it along with whatever else hes doing.

Whilst i like paratus i think its abit silly to hire a guy to work on flash who cant do 2d art when theres plenty out there that can do both. although they may just keep the exact same gui but with it running on flash, which would improve its performance and bugs but would still be way to cumbersome for most.,

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Biskop

from what i know of they have 2 people working on the GUI, paratus codes it all and antoher developer designs all the 2d art windows etc. Since paratus admitted he has little skill when it coems to doing art and he wouldnt be designing all the flash art someone else would possibly freelance possibly 1 of the other developers having to do it along with whatever else hes doing.

Whilst i like paratus i think its abit silly to hire a guy to work on flash who cant do 2d art when theres plenty out there that can do both. although they may just keep the exact same gui but with it running on flash, which would improve its performance and bugs but would still be way to cumbersome for most.,

Yeah I remember Paratus saying that on the forums, it was ages ago. The guy is sweet (he coded the MO launcher for free I think), but it seems he's also a pretty slow coder it seems. I also know SV have stated that integrating the new flash based GUI is very complicated, but come on... It should have been a top priority since day one.

Nothing screams "amateur game" more than a clunky, ugly GUI - it's usually one of things new players bring up when they try to describe MO's ghastly newbie experience. I know the older players have wished for it to be improved for ages, and I think some nice screenies or videos of a clean, crisp GUI would be better PR than some armor textures.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Nice update, looking forward to the next!

Awakening looks like a really nice expansion for MO!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by emota

They did capture some quotes from devs and focus group members with some thoughts on Awakening.  Not a lot of new insight given, other than a short quote on the trade system (no real details, unfortunately), but some thoughts on what they think the expansion brings to the game.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/quotes-from-awakening.75760/

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Given their previous experience with how they implement features, I am surprised they are so confident in their design/decisions and keep low profile when it comes to awakening features, instead trusting the small focus group of fans.

Originally posted by Toferio

Given their previous experience with how they implement features, I am surprised they are so confident in their design/decisions and keep low profile when it comes to awakening features, instead trusting the small focus group of fans.

Yes it sounds like awakening is more of a hotfix for issues that have always been around...  I wouldn't call it an expansion.

A smart management team would have a period of 'open beta' on the test server before pushing the patch live.

Originally posted by Toferio

Yes it sounds like awakening is more of a hotfix for issues that have always been around...  I wouldn't call it an expansion.

A smart management team would have a period of 'open beta' on the test server before pushing the patch live.

either a period of open beta on the test server or a free month on the live server would be the best way to launch the expansion. Since we will most likely be testing for bugs on live for the first mnoth of its launch least they could do is not charge us.

Also most of the quotes were people who work for SV quoting how awesome their game will be and only 2 members of the focus group had anything worth saying? I expected it to be focus group exclusive since you cant expect the community to take developer quotes as acurate or not overly blown out of proportion and that goes for any developer.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

They did capture some quotes from devs and focus group members with some thoughts on Awakening.  Not a lot of new insight given, other than a short quote on the trade system (no real details, unfortunately), but some thoughts on what they think the expansion brings to the game.

I 've read carefully the quotes and appart from Reynik's one all the rest looks like mirrors and shinny broken glasses to cause the attention of the natives.

Originally posted by argirop

I 've read carefully the quotes and appart from Reynik's one all the rest looks like mirrors and shinny broken glasses to cause the attention of the natives.

but mos population are hardly fooled with such tricks, weve seen it plenty of times before and most remain hopeful but at the same time skeptical

but mos population are hardly fooled with such tricks, weve seen it plenty of times before and most remain hopeful but at the same time skeptical

MO's population is mostly gone. Few people do getting tricked. Couldnt you bring easily to your mind Tizio dreaming of unicorns , dragons, green fields and blue crystal waters the time he is reading the quotes? There are more like him and unfortunately there arent all polite and civil as he is. Even you sometimes makes me think that you have a strong believe that Henrik is your best pal and you are often acting depending on which side the wind blows. Example: i do remember a thread that you started some time ago on official MO forums with title something like "Too much hate from MMORPG.com trolls..." or something like that in which people where encouraged to come in this forums and start defending MO while at the same time nothing was about to change in MO, promisses where not given to anyone and a bunch of rude, unpolite, uncivil and insulting trolls transfered here with invalid arguments like "MO's population is rising and there are 20k active subs as we speak..." while they where on a mercyless hunt to bring few subscribers to SV. And yet you are still around with a count of almost 1000 posts. So pls answer me this: unless you do have a problem and feel like forums do offer you a social status or something what are you trying to do? If you where following a certain line i wouldnt bother asking you but i do get the feeling that you are confused aswell and you are only in a ghost chase after recognition or something.

Now back to the topic: all the quotes would be awesome if they where reflecting the truth. And i m not saying they arent. We just have to wait untill Awakening is on but given the lessons that took in my time around MO and SV i cant be positive on that and will certainly not hold my breath.

MO's population is mostly gone. Few people do getting tricked. Couldnt you bring easily to your mind Tizio dreaming of unicorns , dragons, green fields and blue crystal waters the time he is reading the quotes? There are more like him and unfortunately there arent all polite and civil as he is. Even you sometimes makes me think that you have a strong believe that Henrik is your best pal and you are often acting depending on which side the wind blows. Example: i do remember a thread that you started some time ago on official MO forums with title something like "Too much hate from MMORPG.com trolls..." or something like that in which people where encouraged to come in this forums and start defending MO while at the same time nothing was about to change in MO, promisses where not given to anyone and a bunch of rude, unpolite, uncivil and insulting trolls transfered here with invalid arguments like "MO's population is rising and there are 20k active subs as we speak..." while they where on a mercyless hunt to bring few subscribers to SV. And yet you are still around with a count of almost 1000 posts. So pls answer me this: unless you do have a problem and feel like forums do offer you a social status or something what are you trying to do? If you where following a certain line i wouldnt bother asking you but i do get the feeling that you are confused aswell and you are only in a ghost chase after recognition or something.

Now back to the topic: all the quotes would be awesome if they where reflecting the truth. And i m not saying they arent. We just have to wait untill Awakening is on but given the lessons that took in my time around MO and SV i cant be positive on that and will certainly not hold my breath.

tizio is indeed the biggest fanboy but i dont think hes getting tricked he just generally loves the game andi think thats good for him. I do however think that the devs listening to what he has to say about MO isnt really a good thing because he only praises the game and never comments on the falts which is something the devs need to hear about.

that thread i started was becuase there were actual trolls on here but they have all but gone and the people posting now have valid opinions and arent making stuff up about the game to try to hurt it. The difference back then was that i was having to defend the game against lies that had been spread on this forum but now everyone is reasonable and only the truth really gets talked about. But i will still defend the game when i feel people arent using accurate information.

I always try to be honest about the game and its current state. Also with my opinions on the game and for all its faults i still like the game.

tizio is indeed the biggest fanboy but i dont think hes getting tricked he just generally loves the game andi think thats good for him. I do however think that the devs listening to what he has to say about MO isnt really a good thing because he only praises the game and never comments on the falts which is something the devs need to hear about.

that thread i started was becuase there were actual trolls on here but they have all but gone and the people posting now have valid opinions and arent making stuff up about the game to try to hurt it. The difference back then was that i was having to defend the game against lies that had been spread on this forum but now everyone is reasonable and only the truth really gets talked about. But i will still defend the game when i feel people arent using accurate information.

I always try to be honest about the game and its current state. Also with my opinions on the game and for all its faults i still like the game.

I m not questioning you ofc and i m not entitled to do so and sorry if i sounded rude or anything. Was not my intention. I ll take your word but will be nice to see you having a word opposing yourself to the ones that do come in here and trying to advertise MO as a gamers heaven where devs, CEO, GM's, councilors mods are pure professionals, close to the community, doing excellent job, taking MO where it should be and to the ones that do actively, rudely and straightly beat up every one who has a negative experience concerning the game. And between you and me everybody has at least one negative experience.