Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rank easiest to hardest professions to play (pvp)

Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
I know we're in beta -what are your impressions of the easiest to hardest classes to master in order to be effective in world and structured pvp? I guess noob friendly to hardcore experienced pvprs.

Elementalist
Warrior
Ranger
Necromancer
Guardian
Thief
Engineer
Mesmer

Thanks - I know this is very subjective, but this will be useful for some friends that will be new to the mmorpg genre.

Comments

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Typing from smartphone, so sorry for the wall of text.

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Twisted77
    I know we're in beta -what are your impressions of the easiest to hardest classes to master in order to be effective in world and structured pvp? I guess noob friendly to hardcore experienced pvprs. Elementalist Warrior Ranger Necromancer Guardian Thief Engineer Mesmer Thanks - I know this is very subjective, but this will be useful for some friends that will be new to the mmorpg genre.

To master? Too early to say. We haven't even licked the surface of possible meta-game really, especially since the trait system changes a bit with this BWE. No to mention the fact that the PvP is a lot about movement and using your dodge to best eficiency rather than hard class counters. 

Now as to which classes are probably easiest to get into at starter level I'd say Warrior, Guardian, Ranger and Necro are pretty intuitive with quite good base survivalbility. Elementalist and Thief are more squishy and have more things to manage at given time. Mesmer got updated for this BWE so no idea how it works now, it was pretty storng last time but the illusions/phantoms class mechanic had it's issues. Engineer is probably a bit more complex with all the utility sets but it will get some tweaking to make it less messy. 

• I have some folks who have never played an MMO coming over this weekend to try it.  I'm going to have them all roll a warrior.  Reasoning being it's a mix of melee and ranged, has weapon swapping, and the special ability isn't hard to explain or use.

I thought about Elementalist but without weapon swapping it's enough different from the other classes that I'd hate to start a brand new MMOer out on it just to have them expect all the classes to be like it.

I also have two more family members who have pre-purchased - my suggestion to them is entirely different:)  Try what they want just make sure to include some ranged for zerg fighting and wall combat.  Though I did mention they might want to wait to try out Engineer until next BWE due to reworking.

As far as what's best in sPVP it literally depends on player skill.

WvW I would just be sure to have ranged capabilities on any character - less dependent on player skill, more dependent on organization.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

While I'm fine with guesses, based on cursory knowledge of each classes' mechanics, as to which would theoretically be more or less difficult to master, it's virtually impossible for any one per-purchase beta tester to make any remotely accurate assessment on how difficult every class is to master relative to each other.  Arguably, nobody has been able to master even one class yet, let alone all of them or several of them in order to compare them to each other. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

I agree with this order.

• iamshi7aniamshi7an Member UncommonPosts: 2

For me whatever uses a melee weapon will be the hardest since there's no healers to heal you. I tried doin WvW with a melee weapon but I found myself switching to ranged weapon really quickly it's way easier to just sit back and spam skills without getting hit

imo they should make melee weapons hit even harder in pvp or add more dodge to your character when you're using a melee weapon

class-wise from experience with the classes i played the hardest one was probably the Guardian since you gotta position yourself really good for your shields and heals to be really effective

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by thedarkess

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

I agree with this order.

I actually don't. Have you guys tried the Ele? Its not a straight foward or noob friendly class by any means. The element switching gives it insane amount of depth and for me its the class were you will see a lot of very bad to mediocre eles and only a handful that can really master the context switching.

Other than moving Ele above ranger or necro it looks ok. Even though I havent played all classes. Much less know which ones are harder to master.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

I agree with this order.

Switch engineer and mesmer then I would agree. Engineer has so much going on ATM it has to be confusing, with it's kits, turrets, secondary and third...endary effects, and has an incredibly small weapon normal weapon set.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

I agree with this order.

i disagree  ele has like 4 "weapons" , changin to water to heal snare , changin to air to pushback or speed buff, earth for snares and bleeds , fire for raw dmg aoe ....and thats just if u are using "staff"

now try a dagger+X ele and tell me is easy

the list will vary .....but atm the hardest engineer and thief

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I think the order from easiest -> hardest is:

Warrior

Guardian

Ranger

Necro

Thief

Elementalist

Mesmer

Engineer

Whoever put Elementalist as the easiest simply doesn't understand the intricacies of the profession, compared to the others.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Master10K

I think the order from easiest -> hardest is:

Warrior

Guardian

Ranger

Necro

Thief

Elementalist

Mesmer

Engineer

Whoever put Elementalist as the easiest simply doesn't understand the intricacies of the profession, compared to the others.

I think I may switch Gaurd with Warrior, but they are both similar. And i played an ele and Theif, both very hard classes to master, Ele's can really only fully utilize (Spec) into 2 "weapons" or attunements, Plus with all the different weapon types you can go, and Ele will be hard to fit, atleast to a persons needs, I found staff being utility friendly, went water/air, get a lot of support skills that way, Not easy mode class by any means.

Edit: Keep in mind I'm sure you could fit the Ele just pure fire and maybe earth or air dps and it would overly simplify them, but to MASTER them, get to utilize every attunement in certain scenario's will take a bit of work IMO.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

Elementalist needs to be a lot further down in the list when it comes to mastering the class. It has a lot of utility and the only way to effectively play it is by continuously swapping attunement (you're never waiting for cooldowns while spamming the first attack that way) and knowing which attunement offers which utility skills.

To give an idea, this guy is doing it right (also watch the other vids on his channel they're great) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHsRDWeR1ZE

I'd put elementalist below guardian but other than that I roughly agree with your order.

To OP: I'd suggest your friends to try several classes before making their final choice for the class to focus on as their main. It's very easy to get a feel for the classes'  mechanics and available skills by going to the Heart of the Mist and doing the tutorials and various training posts there. I can imagine if new to MMO's they would be confused with all the skills and traits available but leaving everything default and just trying some stuffs at their own pace would at least give them some feel for the class core mechanics and how it feels to play. There will always be at least one they feel more comfortable with straight away.

• NEligahnNEligahn Member Posts: 31

I was actually talking with friends about this the other day. Going based purely off of what I've read and having only played warrior and engineer past lvl 10.

Warrior - Arguably the most straightforward and standard prof in the game. Get weapon, hit things.

Ranger - A bit more challenging, having to balance between ranged and melee but the pet givesa bit more survivability.

Guardian - More survivability, but lack of ranged attack (changed in BWE2 I believe) and requirement to experiment with buffs.

Thief - Similar to the Ranger, but a bit more squishy and without the added distraction of a pet.

Necromancer - It'll be closer to Ranger if you just want pet spam, but if you use buffs and such, it'll be harder to balance.

Elementalist - Easy if you just want to spam, but if you want to use it to its full potential, you'll be splitting time between the elements when the situation calls for it.

Engineer - Decent survivability, but the strength in the Engineer is more in its utility above anything else. If given time to prepare, they can be devastating. Ambushed and unprepared, they're easy to kill.

Mesmer - Probably requires the most balancing and attention to maneuvers, but if played to what I believe its potential could be, it'll be a dangers foe in PvP.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Again, all based off speculation.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Why do we need to know the OP classes?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Ease of play <> OPness. Engineers are tricky to play but still seem weak; rangers are easier AND more powerful.

Your mileage may vary.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by waynejr2

He wasn't asking for the OP classes.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Who cares? What´s matter most is which class is most fun to play.

I say thief (but I have not tried all classes yet, just 4).

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by waynejr2

He wasn't asking for the OP classes.

This. And also imho the classes are reasonably well balanced, I dare say more balanced than in other mmo's where I tried some PvP.

There were some OP builds though but that seems to be already adressed judging from the reasoning behind the changes to skills / traits that Anet provided some better insight on with last nights AMA on reddit.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

IMO they are all easy if you learn how to play each class correctly ;) You just need to play about a bit to find best build to suit your own styles

Skills http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

Builds http://www.gw2builds.org/create/bwe_1/guardian

Hope these help you play about and there is plenty of other peoples builds on here to guide you.

Bandit

Asbo

Originally posted by Loke666

Who cares? What´s matter most is which class is most fun to play.

I say thief (but I have not tried all classes yet, just 4).

Which ones have you tried?

Originally posted by NightBandit

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

IMO they are all easy if you learn how to play each class correctly ;)

lol differential equations are easy if you learn how to do it correctly ;)

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by NEligahn

I was actually talking with friends about this the other day. Going based purely off of what I've read and having only played warrior and engineer past lvl 10.

Warrior - Arguably the most straightforward and standard prof in the game. Get weapon, hit things.

Ranger - A bit more challenging, having to balance between ranged and melee but the pet givesa bit more survivability.

Guardian - More survivability, but lack of ranged attack (changed in BWE2 I believe) and requirement to experiment with buffs.

Thief - Similar to the Ranger, but a bit more squishy and without the added distraction of a pet.

Necromancer - It'll be closer to Ranger if you just want pet spam, but if you use buffs and such, it'll be harder to balance.

Elementalist - Easy if you just want to spam, but if you want to use it to its full potential, you'll be splitting time between the elements when the situation calls for it.

Engineer - Decent survivability, but the strength in the Engineer is more in its utility above anything else. If given time to prepare, they can be devastating. Ambushed and unprepared, they're easy to kill.

Mesmer - Probably requires the most balancing and attention to maneuvers, but if played to what I believe its potential could be, it'll be a dangers foe in PvP.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Again, all based off speculation.

I would like to make a point on this one...

"Guardian - More survivability, but lack of ranged attack (changed in BWE2 I believe) and requirement to experiment with buffs."

The Guardians strength isn't in its melee, it is in its buffs. The way you put it is like someone who dabbled in the class for 3-5 levels and tossed it to the side before wrting a review on it as a melee toon. You just miss so much. 

And keeping those buffs in mind, and being able to make the most of them, puts the Guardian down the list a rung or two in my book. Sure, if all you want is a melee with some survivability as this guy puts it, then yes, they are easy to play. But...if you want to play a Guardian GOOD, its not.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• NEligahnNEligahn Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Kaocan

"Guardian - More survivability, but lack of ranged attack (changed in BWE2 I believe) and requirement to experiment with buffs."

The Guardians strength isn't in its melee, it is in its buffs. The way you put it is like someone who dabbled in the class for 3-5 levels and tossed it to the side before wrting a review on it as a melee toon. You just miss so much. 

And keeping those buffs in mind, and being able to make the most of them, puts the Guardian down the list a rung or two in my book. Sure, if all you want is a melee with some survivability as this guy puts it, then yes, they are easy to play. But...if you want to play a Guardian GOOD, its not.

That's because I did. :P I said at the start I didn't play every class extensively and was basing it off of what I've read and the little I've played.

I also reviewed nothing, just gave my opinion.

And what you said is the cardinal rule of ANY class in existence. If you learn to play it or know how to play it, than obviously it's going to be better.

It's very impossible to sum up every class' ability in a single sentence. Even the warrior has far more to it than what I implied. I merely gave my opinion as to which classes I felt were easier to learn and which ones were not. I apologize if I offended your choice of class, but what I said was just opinion.

EDIT:

Btw, just wanted to say that your signature contradicts that post. Just saying. :P

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Elementalist

Warrior

Ranger

Necro

Guardian

Thief

Engineer

Mesmer

IMO they are all easy if you learn how to play each class correctly ;)

lol differential equations are easy if you learn how to do it correctly ;)

LOL I edit my post so you missed some bits I added :)

Asbo

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by NEligahn
    Originally posted by Kaocan

That's because I did. :P I said at the start I didn't play every class extensively and was basing it off of what I've read and the little I've played.

I also reviewed nothing, just gave my opinion.

And what you said is the cardinal rule of ANY class in existence. If you learn to play it or know how to play it, than obviously it's going to be better.

It's very impossible to sum up every class' ability in a single sentence. Even the warrior has far more to it than what I implied. I merely gave my opinion as to which classes I felt were easier to learn and which ones were not. I apologize if I offended your choice of class, but what I said was just opinion.

EDIT:

Btw, just wanted to say that your signature contradicts that post. Just saying. :P

Actually no, my signiture did not contradict my post, it was spot on again. You just assumed, as so many have before you, that I meant that post entirely for you, and only you. You were wrong, it happens alot so dont worry about it. 

My post was again towards anyone in the category which believed the Guardian an easy to play melee class with more survivability. ANYONE who belived it, hence the use of my disclaimer. And I wasn't offended, again, that belief is only made IF you think I menat that post directly towards YOU.

EDIT: Oh and just to clarify, Guardian is not my favorite class, it is but one of many I played. So far I prefer the Elementalist the best, but I haven't had the opportunity to play the race I want with that class in order to call it a favorite yet either. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)