Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know blizzard said it isn't going to happen, and I even get the reasons why it won't

KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

But just out of curiousity, how many of ya'll would be down for a vanilla wow server? How populated do you think it would be, and do you think people would play it enough to make it worth blizzards while?

ps before you enlighten me as to the existence of private servers know that hacks, viruses, and identity theft lay that way. >O

Anyways, just wanted to see what people think.

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by KingGator

But just out of curiousity, how many of ya'll would be down for a vanilla wow server? How populated do you think it would be, and do you think people would play it enough to make it worth blizzards while?

ps before you enlighten me as to the existence of private servers know that hacks, viruses, and identity theft lay that way. >O

How many people would still have time to spend hours every day getting 24 people together and then spend another 6 to 8 hours in a row on a single Raid ?

I for sure as hell don't. Never had. Never will.

Let's face it, pretty much all the dungeons in Vanilla WoW were extremely time consuming, even the standard ones.

I had great fun in them, as I was still single at the time, but looking back at it... it's just silly to lock yourself up in the house for several whole evenings each and every single week.

But hey.. that's just my 2 cents.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Vanilla as the way it was right before BC would be great by me.  I'd be doing SM runs... my all time favorite.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

- And grind from lvl35 to 45 cause there arent enough quests

- Walk the hell out until lvl40

- Grind for mount

- Stopping to drink water after each pull

- Being unable to lay traps as a hunter when in combat

- Being unable to be useful as a hunter in melee range

- Being fear/stun/root locked to death

But at least we would have:

- 6h AV

- Less gear based PvP

- World PvP

- World bosses.

Centanly I would play it for free and nothing more.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I would probably be very tempted to play that and I haven't touched WOW after getting some characters to the new cap in TBC. So that's years ago.

As someone who really enjoyed open world content I frigging loved WOW before TBC: harvesting, fishing for Stone Scale Eels, looking for rare spawns, roleplaying and random as well as organized world pvp in a world that is actually open and with realistic mechanics and a natural layout. <3

Also the size of the world for a server's population was better then.

I always kind of played it for the ... *brace yourself* ... sandboxy elements and social and immersive aspects of it despite Blizzards emphasis on instances and battlegrounds for the best loot (which I also enjoyed to a certain extent), anyway, yeah ... I'd probably play that.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

would i play? i would not.

how populated would i expect it to be?  Small population at first, then very small after some time.

do i think it would be a worthwhile endeavor from Blizzard's perspective? no

a few people miss vanilla WOW.  many people miss their earlier days gaming or that feeling they had when they first started playing WOW.

those are two different things, only one of them could ever be visited again.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

40 man scarlet monastery here i come.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Were it any other game I would say keep dreaming, won't happen.  Games patch and change and evolve and that's just the way it is.  Nostalgia can't be played, etc etc etc.  However, given the insane success of WoW and the amount of people still playing, I'd wager having Vanilla servers would actually succeed.  Heck, I suspect they could have expansion specific servers too.  Ones that only go up to BC, or WOTLK.

For those that argue that finding 24 or 40 people for a vanilla raid would be nigh impossible, I bet you're wrong.  Don't misunderstand, I'd never go back to that torture personally, but I think there's plenty that most certainly would.  Definitely enough to fill up a server.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Were it any other game I would say keep dreaming, won't happen.  Games patch and change and evolve and that's just the way it is.  Nostalgia can't be played, etc etc etc.  However, given the insane success of WoW and the amount of people still playing, I'd wager having Vanilla servers would actually succeed. 

both Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest have done classic servers in past years

the game rules were not the same as launch but it was effectively launch content w no expansions

in both games, the new server was very popular the first month (for DAOC, they even had 3 classic servers)

but interest wanes after that

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

I would reactivate an account if I could play through Vanilla WoW again on a supported server with a decent-sized crowd of other players on it. I wouldn't play it constantly or indefinitely, but I definitely could see myself playing every once in awhile the same sort of way I play other good (SP) games I own periodically.

To the extent that WoW is simply a "good game," it's actually a bit sad that one can't go back and experience it as it was IMO.

To be honest though, my personal preference is WoW through TBC patch 2.1/2.2, with Black Temple but before ZA and the massive 2.3 nerfs.

What I don't get is why current WoW supporters get so defensive when somebody brings up wanting to play an older version of WoW ... almost as if the game is competing with past versions of itself the way MMO fans imagine TOR, TERA, GW2, TSW, and WoW compete against each other. Nobody would force anyone to play vanilla WoW, and the fact that players who choose to do so are playing a supposedly "inferior game" has no bearing on one's own enjoyment of the current WoW. It's completely irrational to get so bent out of shape about it. Let people have fun how they want, and then when it's not fun anymore becaue it "sucks" or because the content never changes or whatever, they can move on to something else.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Rockhide

What I don't get is why current WoW supporters get so defensive when somebody brings up wanting to play an older version of WoW ... almost as if the game is competing with past versions of itself the way MMO fans imagine TOR, TERA, GW2, TSW, and WoW compete against each other. Nobody would force anyone to play vanilla WoW, and the fact that players who choose to do so are playing a supposedly "inferior game" has no bearing on one's own enjoyment of the current WoW. It's completely irrational to get so bent out of shape about it. Let people have fun how they want, and then when it's not fun anymore becaue it "sucks" or because the content never changes or whatever, they can move on to something else.

This, I was thinking this but chose not to comment in this way initially because i didn't feel like getting trollolololol'd. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others I'd wager that vanilla wow was a better game, and it was better mostly because everything wasn't handed to you.  Its like these people need validation taht the game they're playing is the bestest ever and that a server like this would threaten that for them, i don't actually pretend to totally understand their mindset, it strikes me as passive aggressive and bitchy though.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

I'd love to see a vanilla server, just so peoples nostalgia can bite them in the ass.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Rockhide

This, I was thinking this but chose not to comment in this way initially because i didn't feel like getting trollolololol'd. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others I'd wager that vanilla wow was a better game, and it was better mostly because everything wasn't handed to you.  Its like these people need validation taht the game they're playing is the bestest ever and that a server like this would threaten that for them, i don't actually pretend to totally understand their mindset, it strikes me as passive aggressive and bitchy though.

i think people remember it as being better because of nostalgia. 

at OP google vanilla wow.  some servers exist.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by KingGator But just out of curiousity, how many of ya'll would be down for a vanilla wow server? How populated do you think it would be, and do you think people would play it enough to make it worth blizzards while?   ps before you enlighten me as to the existence of private servers know that hacks, viruses, and identity theft lay that way. >O   Anyways, just wanted to see what people think.
    How many people would still have time to spend hours every day getting 24 people together and then spend another 6 to 8 hours in a row on a single Raid ?

Let's face it, pretty much all the dungeons in Vanilla WoW were extremely time consuming, even the standard ones.

I had great fun in them, as I was still single at the time, but looking back at it... it's just silly to lock yourself up in the house for several whole evenings each and every single week.

That is you, and that isn't speaking for everyone. Besides the way the economy is with so many out of work and young people not working who are going to school, I think this would suit them very well.

I loved vanilla WOW before BC. It was amazing online game experience before WOW entered the carebear state.

Also it wouldn't be 24 man raids if it is vanilla WOW, it would be 40 man if they stuck to the original form factor. And 40 mans were a lot of fun in WOW.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Time to raid Darkshore and while were at it, lets hit Duskwood too! 

And to put the icing on the cake let's take Southshore over and kill the gryphon master!

I guess I would check it out for nostalgia reasons.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

i think people remember it as being better because of nostalgia. 

at OP google vanilla wow.  some servers exist.

This ^^ I'm convinced that mods like Day Z and emulated servers will be the haven for players that like online games but are tired of having everything given to them with little to no effort.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I would play it with my rose tinted glasses on and nothing else ;)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Pretty much true, the old systems are dying and no one has time for them anymore. It's one of the reasons Raid/Party only games are failing. Just a fact. :)

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

I liked wow back then too but I'd have to be getting paid to play that game again.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by azrael466

I'd love to see a vanilla server, just so peoples nostalgia can bite them in the ass.

This is pretty much the only reason i would care to have it back.

The main problem though is to figure out what vanilla is... We area talking about a fairly good amount of time. Also should it be a full return or keep some of the QoL fixes and stability fixes.. How about old bugs.. Should they alos be re-introduced (how do you even do that..?) it sounds like a lot of work for something that all but a very few would grow tired of very quickly.

This have been a good conversation

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by tawess

The main problem though is to figure out what vanilla is... We area talking about a fairly good amount of time. Also should it be a full return or keep some of the QoL fixes and stability fixes.. How about old bugs.. Should they alos be re-introduced (how do you even do that..?) it sounds like a lot of work for something that all but a very few would grow tired of very quickly.

tawess,

We all know Blizzard is not looking at restoring Vanilla WoW at least for now.

But for the life of me, if they did, Do you really think they would release it broken ?.....They would fix what needed to be fixed, come on, think about it !

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I liked WoW in the vanilla days right before the launch of TBC. The start of WoW was a bit... rough. I thought that class balance was very bad. There was bad itemization, bad that you were basically forced to raid at endgame, and bad that there were so few ways to level.

There was a lot of good of course: more open, less on-rails, more fluff that made the game more RPGish (pet trainers, soul shard bags, class quests to get certain abilities like the water travel form for druids, having to discover flightpaths before being able to fly there, etc).

The thing I liked the most about vanilla WoW is that the level 1-60 experience was part of the game. Now it is just a speed bump to getting to 85.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by bezado

Originally posted by KingGator But just out of curiousity, how many of ya'll would be down for a vanilla wow server? How populated do you think it would be, and do you think people would play it enough to make it worth blizzards while?   ps before you enlighten me as to the existence of private servers know that hacks, viruses, and identity theft lay that way. >O   Anyways, just wanted to see what people think.

That is you, and that isn't speaking for everyone. Besides the way the economy is with so many out of work and young people not working who are going to school, I think this would suit them very well.

I loved vanilla WOW before BC. It was amazing online game experience before WOW entered the carebear state.

Also it wouldn't be 24 man raids if it is vanilla WOW, it would be 40 man if they stuck to the original form factor. And 40 mans were a lot of fun in WOW.

yeah the 24 was a typo,... I meant 40 ofcourse lol.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

I think it would be funny, just to see the cycle come full circle.

TBC: TBC SUX VANILLA WUZ BETTER! OUR ARMOR DOESN'T MATCH! TOO MUCH SCI FI!

WLK: WLK SUX, TBC WUZ BETTER, OUR ARMOR MATCHES! TOO MUCH FANTASY!

CATA: CATA SUZ, WLK WUZ BETTER.(I quit before hearing what the other things people bitched about was, too much lava?)

if they release vanilla servers, I'd love to hear what they have to bitch about then.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.