Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Many Weapon Types

zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

GW2 must have these bardiches, halberds, great axes or spear weapons. They should enlarge the weapon types. There are no 2handed axes or spears (it's an aquatic weapon but why we can't use it on outside of water). No throwing type of weapons.

(not just me thinking same about this)

halberd

bardiche

greataxe

spear

and no javelins or knives to throw. it might be an unnecessary subject for you, but i do care about this.

Comments

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

And which game have all weapons? with different skills each one btw

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Expansion?

It's not like they don't have any 2Hers. They just don't have the specific 2Hers you want. If it's that important to you, you could always go w/ TERA or Diablo III. I have yet to play a game, period, that has every single type of weapon I like. They don't have great katanas, nunchucks, throwing stars, flails, etc. either. Doesn't mean it doesn't have enough weapons for what the game is doing.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by aesperus

Expansion?

It's not like they don't have any 2Hers. They just don't have the specific 2Hers you want. If it's that important to you, you could always go w/ TERA or Diablo III. I have yet to play a game, period, that has every single type of weapon I like. They don't have great katanas, nunchucks, throwing stars, flails, etc. either. Doesn't mean it doesn't have enough weapons for what the game is doing.

TERA isn't a good option. Every class uses one weapon which means there are 8 weapon types.

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG. I assume that is the genre they are looking for.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

A Polearm would be amazing in the game. Dodging while attacking "out of reach" would be an awesome combo. Can't see why they shouldn't implement them in an expansion but I don't think they'll add any more weapons for release.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by colddog04

[mod edit]

Relax. It's not like he's hating on the game.  He would just like different variety in weapons.  I think it would be nice too, but they have to decide which ones get priority, because they'll have to design skills & animations around one weapon type, which takes some time.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

TERA isn't a good option. Every class uses one weapon which means there are 8 weapon types.

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG. I assume that is the genre they are looking for.

Never said they were good options, but if using those weapons are important enough to the OP that he would forego playing a game w/ out them, then it is an option. It has less weapons than GW2, but it does have greataxes, lances, etc. I know D3 isn't an MMO, but it does have all the weapons in the OP.

To be blunt, the OP is a bit absurd. As was mentioned, there aren't any MMOs that meet his 'requirements'. Closest one (that I can think of) to having what he's asking for would be WoW, but some of the weapons don't really do anything and only serve as stat sticks. Even games like EQ2 / DAoC, while varied in weapons, still have a limit on how many weapons you can get in the game.

His requirement makes more sense for single player games, as there are at least a few sRPGs that more or less meet those expectations.

Originally posted by observer

[mod edit]

Relax. It's not like he's hating on the game.  He would just like different variety in weapons.  I think it would be nice too, but they have to decide which ones get priority, because they'll have to design skills & animations around one weapon type, which takes some time.

I think it's legitimate to want more weapons. It was specifically what he said that made me think it was a requirement to him.

GW2 must have these bardiches, halberds, great axes or spear weapons. 

and no javelins or knives to throw. it might be an unnecessary subject for you, but i do care about this.

To me, it looks like he looks at it as more of a requirement. If that is the case, then he really should move on. But I wouldn't be surprised if they added some at some later date with an expansion. But in GW2, adding weapons isn't just adding a skin, it's adding 5 skills per class that can use it.

I'd say, don't get your hopes up for an extreme variety like the poster seems to want.

[mod edit]

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

[mod edit]

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I only wish they'd add Scythes for necros.  Then I'd actually be interested in that profession!  I don't see why they decided to reuse weapons already available to other classes, like one handed axes, for a class like the necro, when they could have just as easily kept the same skills and simply transposed them to more unique weapon types.  

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35
    Becasue they didn't want you to feel entitled to pick a class based on one weapon. If they put a scythe on the necro, everyone wanting to play with a scythe will have to play the necro. If you want to play with a dagger for example you have some choice.

As for weapon types, each weapon gets 3-5 skills by class... think about the balancing the devs have to do with each weapon. It's already a lot as it is.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

It may just be visuals, but staff-using Necros actually get their scythe. 

Necromancer with Staff/Scythe

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Who apart from the Warrior & Guardian would use these weapons anyway (Great Axe, Halbard)? The game is already balanced around the current set, so why add more to the mix and leave Professions like the Elementalist and Engineer with their few weapon sets. It's best for ArenaNet to leave expanding the weapons sets to actual Expansions, thus leaving them time to think about all the Professions and what new weapon sets they could have.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

some of the professions lack weapons imo.  namely the Mesmer,  who can only equip 4 different weapons in their main-hand.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Don't forget underwater weapons. Spear is already there, also trident, speargun, etc....

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

They have to save something for expanions. 

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

saving game mechanics for expansions means you have a shit game.  

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The polearms had a major use in the past... they were effective against mounted combatants. No mounts in GW2, hence no weapons designed to take on mounted players.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Mexorilla

New weapons added just means new skills. Your making this bigger then it is. There are lots of weapons to start with and more then some MMOs have. If ANet decides to add spear lets say, thats a new 2h weapon and 5 new skills for X class. Its not game mechaince added its building on whats allready there.

You need to rethink your definition of "game mechanics."

Originally posted by Volkon

The polearms had a major use in the past... they were effective against mounted combatants. No mounts in GW2, hence no weapons designed to take on mounted players.

Name one MMO that has mounted combat thats worth playing. Matter of fact name one good video game that has mounted combat. I have tried a few but not one has been worth investing my time into.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

You need to rethink your definition of "game mechanics."

agreed...

"Game mechanics are constructs of rules intended to produce an enjoyable game or gameplay" (wiki).

varying types of combat would not fall under game mechanics but under gameplay. Game mechanics would be elements that govern combat itself. Regardless of how I try to define game mechanics however it appears that the definition is so vague that any argument could be made against anyone's definition.

Having said that, I think Mexorilla's quote "saving game mechanics for expansions means you have a shit game" is completely idiotic. Even in the case of SWTOR, it wasn't a shit game, per say, just a very poorly executed and poorly polished game.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Probably more weapon types will be added in expansions, at least if we use GW1 as a guide.

In GW there were no daggers until they added the Assassin class in Factions, which uses daggers as their preferred weapons. The same with spears for the Paragon Class and Scithe for Dervishes in Nightfall.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Volkon

Name one MMO that has mounted combat thats worth playing. Matter of fact name one good video game that has mounted combat. I have tried a few but not one has been worth investing my time into.

Eh... what? I'm not saying there should be mounts or mounted combat, just saying that it makes sense we don't see weapons in the game that are designed with mounted combat in mind when there are no mounts.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

You have been eating to many tacos.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.