Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] The tiers on skills and traits (re-done)

FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

As the title says, what is your opinion

ps. a repost of a "poorly designed poll" by me, by me

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Comments

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

That's more like it.

Voted for the last option.

With the skills, I find it very likely I'll be opening skills for the sake of advancing to the next tier, and I am not particularly fond of that. From what I know, though, this doesn't affect level 80? I'm not sure.

The traits, from what I've seen this is mostly an attempt to make balancing easier and avoid the nerf/buff cycles. Well, I do not believe that's a solution. I'd rather have nerf/buff cycles than have less choices, even when those choices are suboptimal.

If A.Net can't balance it without this tiered system, and if they're some players will be overwhelmed by the current skill system, w/e. But I'd rather not have it.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Irus

That's more like it.

Voted for the last option.

With the skills, I find it very likely I'll be opening skills for the sake of advancing to the next tier, and I am not particularly fond of that. From what I know, though, this doesn't affect level 80? I'm not sure.

The traits, from what I've seen this is mostly an attempt to make balancing easier and avoid the nerf/buff cycles. Well, I do not believe that's a solution. I'd rather have nerf/buff cycles than have less choices, even when those choices are suboptimal.

If A.Net can't balance it without this tiered system, and if they're some players will be overwhelmed by the current skill system, w/e. But I'd rather not have it.

Regarding skills, that's a big concern of mine as well. Really wishing Friday would roll around so I can look at it and see what it's going to be like.

If you read the original poll, one of the things I kept saying was that I can see a use for tiers in traits because there was no gating. Skills were gated by the point value needed to purchase them. Traits on the other hand...you could  have the trait equivlanet of a 10-point skill very early on.

The poll's much better now...I selected "I like trait tiers" but really I'd prefer to say "I don't mind trait tiers" If I could have the game without them it would be just the same or better to me. Skill tiers though..annoy me. The amount of which depends on how much fluff I'm forced to buy.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

i guess it depends on how they set the traits up

if they do it so where,lets say im a dagger/pistol thief.and i wanna trait so i can increase my daggers,if all i gotta do is find whatever thet trait line is for that.and just go across and have everything boosted for daggers.then thats cool,but if i gotta take a bunch of worthless crap,and at the end take the trait i wanted to boost my daggers.then i dont know,id rather perfer the old trait set up then the one they got now

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i didnt test  them yet,  how can i know i  like or hate trait system??? i dont even know what traits are on each line, on each tier. this poll only make sense after BW2

"i think i will not like trait system" this make sense....the way you did the poll sorry but for me dont make any sense

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I'm voting no, mainly because I don't like the restriction and pseudo progression.

• Don't care - this is only a change in how and when we pick them.  I expect this won't be the last change we see in either system.  The underlying skills and traits don't appear to have changed (though we really won't know that until launch).

I haven't seen anything that says the new system will be in BWE2 - has anyone else seen that confirmed?

Basically I think they are doing this for three reasons.  First is to balance, particularly the traits - I'm not sure that elite traits are the way to go - it would seem better to fix the traits so none are elite.  Two is to gentle the introduction to both systems.  Three  is to give some form of progression to WvW.

Personally, I really just want them to pick a system and go with it.  This is the type of thing that will be constantly tweaked over the coming years.  I would hate to think that selection of skills and traits being perfected delays the launch as I can guarantee since this is a game with lots of PVP in it that within the first two months the nerf bat will make an appearance in the game.....Hmmm now the explorer in me is wondering if there are nerfbats in the game as environmental weapons...

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Should have put an option "Not sure, will find out next BWE".

If I try it out and feel it really limits the game, then I will let them know. If it is just a minor annoyance, and maybe not liking it but can see the point of it for balance, then I will also let them know. If it breaks the game, I will REALLY let them know.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Delvie

Don't care - this is only a change in how and when we pick them.  I expect this won't be the last change we see in either system.  The underlying skills and traits don't appear to have changed (though we really won't know that until launch).

I haven't seen anything that says the new system will be in BWE2 - has anyone else seen that confirmed?

Basically I think they are doing this for three reasons.  First is to balance, particularly the traits - I'm not sure that elite traits are the way to go - it would seem better to fix the traits so none are elite.  Two is to gentle the introduction to both systems.  Three  is to give some form of progression to WvW.

Personally, I really just want them to pick a system and go with it.  This is the type of thing that will be constantly tweaked over the coming years.  I would hate to think that selection of skills and traits being perfected delays the launch as I can guarantee since this is a game with lots of PVP in it that within the first two months the nerf bat will make an appearance in the game.....Hmmm now the explorer in me is wondering if there are nerfbats in the game as environmental weapons...

Probably not.. nerf is a trademark. Would probably have to pay someone alot of money. Now if they had a "Hard Foam Bat".. that might work. Kinda like when Green Jello had to change thier name to Green Jelly in the 90's.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

i dont even know what traits are on each line, on each tier. this poll only make sense after BW2

It would make sense that better traits would go farther. In fact, balancing would converge to that if they keep this system, which is something BWE 2 may easily not show you, but is nevertheless true.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Should have put an option "Not sure, will find out next BWE".

If I try it out and feel it really limits the game, then I will let them know. If it is just a minor annoyance, and maybe not liking it but can see the point of it for balance, then I will also let them know. If it breaks the game, I will REALLY let them know.

I completely agree with this. Try this poll after the BWE and it would make more sense.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The trait tiers were absolutely needed and will preserve diversity, by making exponentially more builds viable. There are just three tier 3 traits in each trait line.

If the traits are properly tiered, this prevents builds that under the old system would have allowed players to take 7 of the 15 most powerful traits as their trait build. Now players can only make builds with 2 of those 15 traits, and no more than one tier 3 trait in each trait line. (It may not always be raw power. I suspect that a primary use of this system will be to prevent certain trait combinations that are only over powered when particular traits are combined).

I'm a little more iffy on the Skill Tiers. In general, I support the concept and if you do the math, determined players can still get Tier 3 skills in the early teens, by doing most or all skill point challenges available inf the five racial starting zones. For most players, the new system gives a more logical character progression, while skill point challenges allow "more advanced" players a mechanism for greatly reducing the wait until they have access to higher tier skills.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I would greatly prefer an option that states "I don't know enough yet to make an accurate assessment."  As is, however, my current feeling is that I don't like the idea of either of them.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by fiontar

The trait tiers were absolutely needed and will preserve diversity, by making exponentially more builds viable. There are just three tier 3 traits in each trait line.

If the traits are properly tiered, this prevents builds that under the old system would have allowed players to take 7 of the 15 most powerful traits as their trait build. Now players can only make builds with 2 of those 15 traits, and no more than one tier 3 trait in each trait line. (It may not always be raw power. I suspect that a primary use of this system will be to prevent certain trait combinations that are only over powered when particular traits are combined).

I'm a little more iffy on the Skill Tiers. In general, I support the concept and if you do the math, determined players can still get Tier 3 skills in the early teens, by doing most or all skill point challenges available inf the five racial starting zones. For most players, the new system gives a more logical character progression, while skill point challenges allow "more advanced" players a mechanism for greatly reducing the wait until they have access to higher tier skills.

Just because some skills and traits are broken. Is not a good reason to dumb down the system and treat players like idiots.

This.

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#e

Is already hardly rocket science. It is also far from a daunting amount of skills to choose from, if anything its not that many at all. Any more restrictions is just rediculous.

• Originally posted by fiontar

I had a character with all 3 utility slots unlocked and enough skill points to have whatever 3 skills I wanted.  The utility skills are not that expensive when compared to an elite we are talking like 7 point versus 30.

The skill tiers won't control anything or tier any content.  Having 3 skill slots and every single skill still would not trivialize any content whether it be on level or scaled down.

The skill tiers really give no progression.  At all.  Getting an elite is 5 times more of an effect.

They may make so you can't complete your target build until 50 instead of 20 but they won't really be changing your power at all and in the end having your progression be trait point based was better anyway.

The only thing it can hope to do create a sense of progress by creating a vacuum.  If they tier it in such a way that you can get whatever skill you want at level 20 anyway then the whole system is a pointless waste of effort as that comes pretty fast anyway and the unlocking of slots is by far more important.

If you have to get very high up before you can get a 7 point utility when you have already gotten a 30 point elite then it will just be stupid.  Since the game is already pretty balanced PvE content wise even with a full load out the whole thing has no leg to really stand on.

The skill tiers are inelegant and pointless.  You already needed to do a number of skill point challenges to get a good diversity of skills.  If people are unlocking the last tier by level 20 then it will have had almost no real effet anyway.  Its burden and nothing else.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

We havent even seen the tiered traits yet for all classes.  Arent you putting the cart before the horse with this poll. 

I didnt even vote.

• KujuKuju Member UncommonPosts: 51

I think the skill tier (or skill tree as I call it) was a good move by Anet; they are only delaying when you can get certain skills at worse. However, I'm not liking what I see so far in the trait lines, but I am willing to at least wait and see/test myself during the BWE2 event. I would be surprised if I end up being ok with it after liking the current system so much. Even though I realize Anet is probably doing it to make it easier on themselves to balance - I want to argue they may be being a bit lazy and taking the easier  more conveinient road at the expense of potential creativity to the player. I fear that the change will bottleneck builds due to the fact you may have to go 30 deep into a trait line where you would have only gone 10 before; that also effects your stats that you gain from the lines. Then there is the whole synergy between weapons. BUT, we'll see I guess. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i like the both. I just wish we had more skills available to use at any time (both weapon skill sets and utilities) without having to switch from the menu. Larger hotbars FTW.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by Maephisto

We havent even seen the tiered traits yet for all classes.  Arent you putting the cart before the horse with this poll. 

I didnt even vote.

i think the whole point is,there trying to be different then other mmos in guild wars 2

tiered traits and this other thing.just sounds like there copying and pasting wow's talent tree's in the game.thus,going against there trying to be different then other mmos,and thus.creating another star wars the old republic snorefest that will tank in 6 months

• JHoersten2JHoersten2 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I'm always a fan of choice and options.

Although, having everything available up front leaves little motivation to work for the better (top tier) traits.  Give and take, I suppose.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I don't like the idea of trait tiers. Warriors choose their trait branch based mainly on their weapon, so if one tier of the trait branch of the weapon I have has a horrible selection of traits then I would need to choose a new weapon.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

I agree with the skill tiers.

At lvl 20 I already had all the skills I wanted on my necro, so I'd probably keep the exact same skill bar until 80, There would be no skill progression whatsoever and I can see how that could be frustrating.

Still, I think tiers on traits just seems like a lazy way to balance things, and it cuts off a lot of the trait customization

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I frankly won't know until the next weekend. Then I think we can draw a precise opinion, and a valid feedback qbout how it turned out.

I do agree this is the lazy way to balance it out, though. But I'm not overly concerned, so far.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

the game is good as it is already whit the skill and trait

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

So far ANet has delivered. Funny how fast people turn without even bothering to test out the changes or even know if they will be put into the game for any length of time. The lack of cognative thinking is insane. This was on the dev server so we don't know if what we actually saw will make it into the game and more than likely it will continue to see changes based on feedback. Use your fricken brains... 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

Not even worth voting at this point.  This thread is at least a week early.

Vivik-Cerberus