Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of returning

Last time i played this game was 2007 or so.

i remember i liked the crafting and the adventuring was ok.

has there been any major changes since then?

also i think i saw there was only 2 servers up..the population seems kinda low.

i'm pretty casual and to me the most important thingis the community, rather quality than quantity.

i had a high-elf cleric and wonder if i sub and not too many people are around, how would soloing be?

would also be interested in joining a mature social guild if i decide to resub..

that's all for now..

Comments

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    Soloing on a cleric would be rough. Hard to kill, but the mobs you attack are more likely to die of old age. Disc on the other hand is a great solo class and one of the most interesting classes I have ever seen in a mmo.
  • ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Welcome back.  I think you will find VG is running great now.  Definitely quality over quantity community.  With f2p coming, hopefully we will see some community growth as well though.

If quality community is your aim, f2p will make you very disappoined.

When in doubt, troll.

• endersadvocendersadvoc Member Posts: 31

I think the typical f2p crowd will be put off by the difficulty of Vanguard so that the community shouldn't suffer to horribly.

Anywho, I decided to resub and start  a DK, currently level 6 and will be off the island and free to group soon. In game as silicon.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Like Sony or not they have done a good job with EQ2 and there item shop. My guess the same thing will be added to Vanguard and There is still Hope for it. Crossing my fingers it is the best mmo out there right now and i do not see anything else coming.

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I just returned yesterday. Just like always it's quiet at the moment, but it seemed like IoD was pretty hopping. I saw people left and right there. Out in the world, I've seen people off doing their own thing, so people are definitely playing; just not masses of them.

The game has gone virtually untouched the last two years until recently when SOE decided that they were going to bring VG the F2P direction (which I personally think is a good thing). Yes, you'll get some buttheads in the mix, but I personally have several friends who are going to give the game another go and if it turns out to be anything like LotRO's community, I'll take it, because I have never had too much of an issue with anyone over there.

They slated F2P for summer of this year. I figure, I pay more for lunch than $20 sometimes (was already playing EQ2 - so I went the all access pass route) and find that it's been worth it. I really do love Vanguard, it's scenery, my goblin and the massive amount of content already in the game.

As of the 31st Silius began the F2P rollout (i.e. test server) and while I'm not the biggest fan of some of the directions they've taken (and I'm hoping that they'll listen to us -- the players) I feel like, 'well at least they're doing SOMETHING to the game'.

I rolled up a test account to see if I wanted to play. All it took was a few minutes to re-hook me and reading several "new to the game" posts on the forums. People are so passionate about this game (myself included). I hope the F2P works in its favor.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by mikaboy28
    Last time i played this game was 2007 or so.

i remember i liked the crafting and the adventuring was ok.

has there been any major changes since then?

also i think i saw there was only 2 servers up..the population seems kinda low.

i'm pretty casual and to me the most important thingis the community, rather quality than quantity.

i had a high-elf cleric and wonder if i sub and not too many people are around, how would soloing be?

would also be interested in joining a mature social guild if i decide to resub..

that's all for now..

Clerics really are best in teams. Soloing isn't too bad at the lower levels but it gets much worse the higher that you go. How far you get will depend on how much patience you have :) I got up to 24 on mine before I stopped playing it and focused on a Disc instead.

While the population has definitely increased from the last time that I played, it's still hard to find people to help with leveling content (you have to be fairly aggressive when finding teams, which some folks just aren't comfortable with, myself included). Finding groups for dungeons is a lot easier but as a cleric, you will be expected to heal rather than DPS (this means your gear and attributes should be prioritized around WIS/VIT, which will, unfortunately, further cripple your solo damage).

• mikaboy28mikaboy28 Member Posts: 81

thx for all replies!

my cleric got to lvl 41 in crafting and 27 as an adventurer before i quit in 2007.

the reason i quit back then was that my rl friends left the game.

i have really been bored having nothing to play lately and guess it's time for some vanguard.

my clerics name is miridia and if anyone in game wants to say hello or chat i'll be up for it :)

just forgot what server she was on..hehe!

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by mikaboy28

thx for all replies!

my cleric got to lvl 41 in crafting and 27 as an adventurer before i quit in 2007.

the reason i quit back then was that my rl friends left the game.

i have really been bored having nothing to play lately and guess it's time for some vanguard.

my clerics name is miridia and if anyone in game wants to say hello or chat i'll be up for it :)

just forgot what server she was on..hehe!

I'd assume you're on Telon, since the only other one is Halgar and Telon seems to be the most popular. Unless you're an EU player, which means you might be on Halgar.

• mikaboy28mikaboy28 Member Posts: 81

i was on halgar : I ...oh well hope it's not empty ;)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Halgar is very empty.

F2P might change something about it, but I'm not optimistic.

You can move your character from Halgar to Telon in about half an hour though, they are very quick about it, at least last time I've checked.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

I don't play it myself, but my guild has about 50 active players on Telon. We are an eu guild though, moved to Telon because the eu server is prety much dead.