Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!

Comments

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Scarlyng
    Originally posted by Copenhagen

Which I find very hard to believe, while some might find it very fun, and enjoy it a great deal.  That don't mean the rest of us will.

That said, I would not touch GW2 with a 5,000,000ft pole.  Or shove any more money into NC Soft's pockets.  I don't like them.  Yes, I know they did not make the game.  But they are making money from it.

Therefore, they can just count me out.

I'm sure you will be missed, and that the game just won't be the same without you.

While you are evidently being sarcastic, it would be sad if a person who is being able to follow their principles, over their own short-term possible enjoyment, wouldn't be missed. We need more persons like him who say no when companies go too far. Otherwise we'll keep seeing more features like RMAH was in Diablo III, in the future.

for me that is just stupid. dont play a game that i love just because i dont like company?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by sonoggi

thing is, even if GW2 came out right now with all of it's unfinished content, it would STILL win GOTY easily. it's too innnovative. it would be like giving the Nobel to Obama...just being different amidst mediocrity and upholding a good philosophy, when being different is frightening, is worth the award.

Game of the Year award means nothing due to SWTOR receiving it from Massively last year. 

Originally posted by p_c_sousa
    Originally posted by Scarlyng

Which I find very hard to believe, while some might find it very fun, and enjoy it a great deal.  That don't mean the rest of us will.

That said, I would not touch GW2 with a 5,000,000ft pole.  Or shove any more money into NC Soft's pockets.  I don't like them.  Yes, I know they did not make the game.  But they are making money from it.

I'm sure you will be missed, and that the game just won't be the same without you.

While you are evidently being sarcastic, it would be sad if a person who is being able to follow their principles, over their own short-term possible enjoyment, wouldn't be missed. We need more persons like him who say no when companies go too far. Otherwise we'll keep seeing more features like RMAH was in Diablo III, in the future.

for me that is just stupid. dont play a game that i love just because i dont like company?

Stupid? It is heroic really. Stand your ground for what you believe in, even if it hurts you. 

Edit: Then again, there is fine line between being heroic and just stupid, or so I've heard XD.

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER
    Originally posted by letsxhat
    Originally posted by pacov
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by DarthSov

So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil!

You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.

This is not a TSW EA situation. NCsoft is the owner of Anet, and they producer of GW2. Many of us a hesitant when it comes to Korean companies.

and why does it really matter if it is? if TSW is a good game and people enjoy it who cares if it is funcom and EA?

well it's not Funcom and EA. It's Funcom. GW2 is NCsoft is owned and funded by NCsoft a Korean game maker. Maybe you misunderstood me.

OP can say I hate NCsoft so I wont play GW2. The money goes straight to NCsoft.

Can't compare a company that makes a bad game to a company that is funded by a company that made a bad game. NCsoft has no influence on Arenanets development of the game. Are any of their staff working with arenanet to incorporate ideas to the game? no.

NCsoft owns Anet. Anet wont see a penny until NCsoft gives it to them. It's NCsofts game. 

You have this backwards my good sir/madam. Well I wouldn't say its quite "backwards"...They see the money at the same time. Arenanet is not 'owned' by Ncsoft nor do they ever plan to sell their souls to the devil, as it were.

(,,,)

So you are saying that term "acquisition of ArenaNet" in http://www.arena.net/press/ncsoft_acquires_arenanet, did not refer to NCSoft explicitely buying Arenanet? I was under the impression that it is precisely what "acquisition" is supposed to mean. 

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil!

You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.

This is not a TSW EA situation. NCsoft is the owner of Anet, and they producer of GW2. Many of us a hesitant when it comes to Korean companies.

and why does it really matter if it is? if TSW is a good game and people enjoy it who cares if it is funcom and EA?

Too few people care. Before buying a product, it ought to be the concern of every consumer to know who produced the product and what they are supporting if they decide to buy the product.

I agree with 234. Befor I buy any game, regardless of the type of game, I always check the publishing company (and to a certain point, the degree of freedom the dev company has in relation to the publishing company). Best example is EA, worst exmple, is NCsoft.

EA Games corporate policy and business model has severely effected the games their subsidiaries develop, to a point that many people now refuse to buy EA products (me for example).

NCsoft has produced both great games and some serious lemons; from GW to Tabula Rasa. As of right now, I'm half and half on NCsoft. I don't buy all their games, but I do buy some.

Just as with EA Games, I don't buy certain products from other companies due to the policies of their parent companies. I know I may come across as a hater, but I'm not. As a consumer I make the choices that I feel are best for me. My role as the consumer in our capitalist (free market) structure is to "judge" the products and their companies by what I buy and what I do not buy. I am not trying to take some "high road" or anything, just merely casting my judgement (consumer review) on products that are out there.

On a side note, I was reading up on the founders of GW2 and the relationship between Anet and NCsoft. It does appear that Anet does have a large degree of freedom to operate as it wills. Anet does not answer to NCsoft Korea, but to NC West, which happens to be headquarted in Seattle Washington, right next to Bellevue. Sounds more like they created a corporate branch just satisfy Anet devs than to force their hand on them. As for the Anet devs, read up on their history... I now understand why WOW essentially sucks and why Diablo 3 is not what it used to be... but that's a different argument lol.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Well that was some info i realy needed to know thank you that was total waste reading your dislike for GW2 lol.

Funny how some feel the need to make a topic to tell others they wont playing the game.

Hope you find your game and leave us alone :)

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by StrangeEyes

Well that was some info i realy needed to know thank you that was total waste reading your dislike for GW2 lol.

Funny how some feel the need to make a topic to tell others they wont playing the game.

Hope you find your game and leave us alone :)

StrangeEyes, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Copenhagen soon enough in GW2. Most GW fans have already pre purchased GW2. Those who liked GW and like GW2 either have already pre purchased GW2 or will buy GW2 upon release. Those who are on the fence and wanting to wait and see how the game pans out will prob buy the game in 1-3 months after release. The skeptical ones will wait 3-6 months. The haters will eventually come into the fold 6 months to one year, or after the first expansion and they realize they're the only ones not playing GW2 and missing out on all the fun.

Before Trolls jump on me, this is just half satirical humor and half a true statement; it is not intended to be taken literally or too serious lol.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Oh, I'm sure they will miss you...

GW2 for first is made by ANet and only published by NCSoft.. So NCSoft only has to help ANet get those copies to the stores and help them with marketing and whatever it takes to get that game out of ANets dev studio and give it to the world... Figuratively speaking :D

So what if they're making money out of the game? They're the publishers and they should make the money out of it... There's nothing wrong with making money as long as it's a good product which people would buy.

I always kinda giggle when I see posts like this on forums :D...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by joocheese

Too few people care. Before buying a product, it ought to be the concern of every consumer to know who produced the product and what they are supporting if they decide to buy the product.

I agree with 234. Befor I buy any game, regardless of the type of game, I always check the publishing company (and to a certain point, the degree of freedom the dev company has in relation to the publishing company). Best example is EA, worst exmple, is NCsoft.

EA Games corporate policy and business model has severely effected the games their subsidiaries develop, to a point that many people now refuse to buy EA products (me for example).

Funcom pays EA for moving boxes. There is no relationship beyond that for these two companies. TSW is 100% Funcom's game.

The red is a crafty misinterprtaions of my words. If someone said I'm not playing TSW because of EA, it's not the same thing as saying I'm not playing GW2 because of NCsoft. 

EA has no rights to TSW. Funcom is independent. 

Ncsoft owns GW2. Anet is owned by Ncsoft.

"It's not a TSW EA situation" Some here in the GW2 forum like to believe it's the samething, but it's very different. 

+1 to Aerowyn for twisting my words.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Raekon
    So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil! You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.

well it's not Funcom and EA. It's Funcom. GW2 is NCsoft is owned and funded by NCsoft a Korean game maker. Maybe you misunderstood me.

Can't compare a company that makes a bad game to a company that is funded by a company that made a bad game. NCsoft has no influence on Arenanets development of the game. Are any of their staff working with arenanet to incorporate ideas to the game? no.

NCsoft owns Anet. Anet wont see a penny until NCsoft gives it to them. It's NCsofts game. 

Yeah right... now tell me WHO funded the game for over 5 years so ANet can create it?

I guess you know the answer already but since you are too busy to bash NCSoft along with the OP and his silly approach it won't matter.

Seriously? It amazes me what lengths and what points people are coming up with to dislike or to put down this game.

It doesn't make ANY sense to waste your time coming in a games forum and posting things like that.

Most of all since it's not a concern that has to do with the game, it's the ops hate towards one of the oldest and best mmos developers/publishers around.

I admit that AION was a game I passed but I have tested and played all the other games NCSoft produced or published and wasn't dissappointed by them at all(unlike other publishers or developers).

Saying GW2 is owned by NCsoft is not bashing.... A lot of people here don't want to hear it, but it's not bashing. 

No see you been saying they made/developed the game and that ANET isn't running the show with GW2. That's the difference and it's mad annoying when people pussy out and start switching shit as if their intentions in the first place where different after realizing they where wrong about their original intention. I mean shit atleast admit defeat, you don't have to accept it but atleast admit and maybe just maybe youd get some slack. I don't hold mercy or pity on switch and baiting mofos because that bullshit is lame as hell. I'll give you this I'm sure NCSOFt had to do with the pre purchase for beta but I swear if they where really running the show the game would have released awhile back. Get back at me when you ready to get "Real" same goes for the others that agree with you or stay backing you up because they are the same ones backing up bait and switching mofos and they know who they are, yea I'm quick to call a lot of naysayers of GW 2 bait n switching, but Maybe if they didn't do it i wouldn't say anything. I swear...Take care and enjoy/live life

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Stupid? It is heroic really. Stand your ground for what you believe in, even if it hurts you. 

Edit: Then again, there is fine line between being heroic and just stupid, or so I've heard XD.

Of course that's not heroic, that's plainly stupid. Arenanet doesn't do anything bad towards the costumers, on the contrary Anet is moving the genre forward. There is no reason punishing Anet because of NCsoft.... Besides Anet begun with 5 developers, now they have 250, guess who gave them the money for such a huge investment.

The concerns about NCsoft are invalid. NCsoft doesn't mess with the developers unlike  EA. NCsoft is a "good" publisher. True they've released bad games in the past, but that was mostly the developer's fault not NCsoft's

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by RizelStar

This is not a . NCsoft is the owner of Anet, and they producer of GW2. Many of us a hesitant when it comes to Korean companies.TSW EA situation

Yeah right... now tell me WHO funded the game for over 5 years so ANet can create it?

I guess you know the answer already but since you are too busy to bash NCSoft along with the OP and his silly approach it won't matter.

Seriously? It amazes me what lengths and what points people are coming up with to dislike or to put down this game.

It doesn't make ANY sense to waste your time coming in a games forum and posting things like that.

Most of all since it's not a concern that has to do with the game, it's the ops hate towards one of the oldest and best mmos developers/publishers around.

I admit that AION was a game I passed but I have tested and played all the other games NCSoft produced or published and wasn't dissappointed by them at all(unlike other publishers or developers).

Saying GW2 is owned by NCsoft is not bashing.... A lot of people here don't want to hear it, but it's not bashing. 

No see you been saying they made/developed the game and that ANET isn't running the show with GW2. That's the difference and it's mad annoying when people pussy out and start switching shit as if their intentions in the first place where different after realizing they where wrong about their original intention. I mean shit atleast admit defeat, you don't have to accept it but atleast admit and maybe just maybe youd get some slack. I don't hold mercy or pity on switch and baiting mofos because that bullshit is lame as hell. I'll give you this I'm sure NCSOFt had to do with the pre purchase for beta but I swear if they where really running the show the game would have released awhile back. Get back at me when you ready to get "Real" same goes for the others that agree with you or stay backing you up because they are the same ones backing up bait and switching mofos and they know who they are, yea I'm quick to call a lot of naysayers of GW 2 bait n switching, but Maybe if they didn't do it i wouldn't say anything. I swear...Take care and enjoy/live life

I never once said GW2 was developed by NCsoft. Never once. GW2 was produced by NCsoft. It's a NCsoft title ffs. Is this so hard or so bad to understand? 

If NCsoft says "Anet you will stop developing of GW2." Guess what? Anet will stop developing GW2.  NCsoft is running the show. IT's their game not Anets... geez

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, instead of just saying "Your wrong and you lose."  You have a nice day too. I know you will not respond.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

Arenanet is the Developer.
    NCsoft is the Publisher, the main thing I believe they will have control over is the Real Life Cash Shop, they did it with all the other games, and did a good job with it as well.

The relationship between NCsoft and Anet is no different than the relationship between EA and Bioware. They control the whole game. Anet is nothing more than a singer in this GW2 song. That being said Anet may sing beautifully on the track, but when NCsoft tells them to sing this way, guess what Anet will sing that way.

It is a little different.

Bioware is a puppet, Arenanet is not. Yes they are owned and funded by NCSoft, but they retain their autonomy.

IMO that is the smart way to do it. You don't hire an expert to do something, and then try and tell him how to do it. If you know how to do it so well, do it yourself. NCSoft understands this. EA doesn't.

Originally posted by seridan

Of course that's not heroic, that's plainly stupid. Arenanet doesn't do anything bad towards the costumers, on the contrary Anet is moving the genre forward. There is no reason punishing Anet because of NCsoft.... Besides Anet begun with 5 developers, now they have 250, guess who gave them the money for such a huge investment.

The concerns about NCsoft are invalid. NCsoft doesn't mess with the developers unlike  EA. NCsoft is a "good" publisher. True they've released bad games in the past, but that was mostly the developer's fault not NCsoft's

NCsoft is rewarded if the topic starter decides to buy GW2. If he thinks that NCsoft has done several "bad" things that he deems to be enough to not ever want to support NCsoft again, he shouldn't buy GW2 unless GW2 does enough good to offset the bad he considers NCsoft to have done.

Furthermore, Arenanet has done several things "bad" towards the customers; such as the region-locking and giving certain bad customer service. To continue, you can still move the genre forward while simultaneously screw customers in some ways. One does not need to exclude the other.

Finally: how do you know how much control NCsoft and EA has been exercising over different developer studios? Do you have interviews from persons of interest? Or do you simply assume and extrapolate?

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

NCsoft is the Publisher, the main thing I believe they will have control over is the Real Life Cash Shop, they did it with all the other games, and did a good job with it as well.

The relationship between NCsoft and Anet is no different than the relationship between EA and Bioware. They control the whole game. Anet is nothing more than a singer in this GW2 song. That being said Anet may sing beautifully on the track, but when NCsoft tells them to sing this way, guess what Anet will sing that way.

Bioware is a puppet, Arenanet is not. Yes they are owned and funded by NCSoft, but they retain their autonomy.

IMO that is the smart way to do it. You don't hire an expert to do something, and then try and tell him how to do it. If you know how to do it so well, do it yourself. NCSoft understands this. EA doesn't.

You say that Bioware is a puppet, but where is the actual proof? Is it just speculation to explain why they failed so hard?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

^^This

Yes, NCSoft own all the shares in ArenaNet(probably) but there is a big difference between Aion and GW2 and SWTOR.

NCSoft have been very hands off with ANet as they realised that they are a good studio that know how to make an MMO better than NCSoft.

NCSoft made Aion themselves. It was rubbish. 

ANet are a completely separate entity from NCSoft, however NCSoft owns 100% of them. That just means all the profits goto NCSoft. GW2 looks like it is going to be good, because they devs have been allowed to call the shots rather than the publisher.

Bioware was a good studio, but EA did what NCSoft didnt and absorbed BW into EA. So SWTOR was rubbish becuase the publisher was calling the shots

The moral of the story? Publishers are rubbish at making games, leave it to the Dev Studios and keep out of the design provess. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I had no problems with NCSoft or ANet so far.

Finally: how do you know how much control NCsoft and EA has been exercising over different developer studios? Do you have interviews from persons of interest? Or do you simply assume and extrapolate?

Back at you and the OP: how do you know how much control NCsoft and EA has been exercising over different developer studios? Do you have interviews from persons of interest? Or do you simply assume and extrapolate?

How do you know how much NCsoft will make out of GW2 and how much will go to Anet?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

It is a little differemt. NCsoft took 3 of Anets creators and put them in power positions within NCsoft West. Kudos to you for saying it is a little different. As far as autonomy, this is something many would like to believe. It may or may not be true.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Raekon Originally posted by letsxhat Originally posted by pacov Originally posted by letsxhat Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by letsxhat Originally posted by DarthSov So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil! You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.
    well it's not Funcom and EA. It's Funcom. GW2 is NCsoft is owned and funded by NCsoft a Korean game maker. Maybe you misunderstood me.   OP can say I hate NCsoft so I wont play GW2. The money goes straight to NCsoft.
    Yeah right... now tell me WHO funded the game for over 5 years so ANet can create it? I guess you know the answer already but since you are too busy to bash NCSoft along with the OP and his silly approach it won't matter. Seriously? It amazes me what lengths and what points people are coming up with to dislike or to put down this game. It doesn't make ANY sense to waste your time coming in a games forum and posting things like that. Most of all since it's not a concern that has to do with the game, it's the ops hate towards one of the oldest and best mmos developers/publishers around. I admit that AION was a game I passed but I have tested and played all the other games NCSoft produced or published and wasn't dissappointed by them at all(unlike other publishers or developers).

There are a lot of assumptions floating around in this thread about how companies and specifically parent and child company relationships work, and I think not a great deal of actual understanding of those relationships.

Regardless, unless someone has evidence of something I don't know, we do not know what level of influence, if any, NCSoft exerts on their western division, and on ArenaNet in particular.

From what I have seen, I believe NCSoft funds games with good pitches, and if they turn a profit, and the child group can keep itself solvent, they will continue to fund future development. If the game does not turn a significant enough profit, they will close the servers as quickly as they like. Look at Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa vs. Guild Wars. Guild Wars is still being developed with new content to this day, and from what I can tell, follows the same vision as when it was released. This is because it makes money.

In short, I don't think NCSoft exerts any editorial control, at all whatever, over the content or design of any of the games made by subsidiary groups, at any level, but if the game does not make a return, they shut the doors as fast as they can. And this seems to be an effective business model for them.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Originally posted by stragen001
    (...)

^^This

Yes, NCSoft own all the shares in ArenaNet(probably) but there is a big difference between Aion and GW2 and SWTOR.

NCSoft have been very hands off with ANet as they realised that they are a good studio that know how to make an MMO better than NCSoft.

NCSoft made Aion themselves. It was rubbish. 

ANet are a completely separate entity from NCSoft, however NCSoft owns 100% of them. That just means all the profits goto NCSoft. GW2 looks like it is going to be good, because they devs have been allowed to call the shots rather than the publisher.

Bioware was a good studio, but EA did what NCSoft didnt and absorbed BW into EA. So SWTOR was rubbish becuase the publisher was calling the shots

The moral of the story? Publishers are rubbish at making games, leave it to the Dev Studios and keep out of the design provess. 

So you are saying Nintendo is rubbish at making games? I am surprised then how they could possibly create The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and receive 10/10 at IGN.  Either your "moral of the story" is wrong or I don't know how to explain that Nintendo title.

Furthermore: how do you know how much control EA exercised over Bioware? Which articles lets you know for sure without just guessing because it seems like a explanation for failure that you would believe?

So you are saying Nintendo is rubbish at making games? I am surprised then how they could possibly create The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and receive 10/10 at IGN.  Either your "moral of the story" is wrong or I don't know how to explain that Nintendo title.

Last time I checked Nintendo was both a publisher and a developer. Although I'm sure those 2 aspects of the company are handled by different sections of the company. So what's your point? His "moral of the story" is quite accurate

Back at you and the OP: how do you know how much control NCsoft and EA has been exercising over different developer studios? Do you have interviews from persons of interest? Or do you simply assume and extrapolate?

How do you know how much NCsoft will make out of GW2 and how much will go to Anet?

I assume that EA and NCsoft get a substantial piece of the cake from any games developed by developer studios they own. Otherwise it wouldn't make any business sense.

I have to clarify though: this is not a thread about whether or not GW2 will be a good game. This is a thread about a person who is not willing to support a certain company due to things they did in their past.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by DarthSov So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil! You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.
    well it's not Funcom and EA. It's Funcom. GW2 is NCsoft is owned and funded by NCsoft a Korean game maker. Maybe you misunderstood me.   OP can say I hate NCsoft so I wont play GW2. The money goes straight to NCsoft.
    Yeah right... now tell me WHO funded the game for over 5 years so ANet can create it? I guess you know the answer already but since you are too busy to bash NCSoft along with the OP and his silly approach it won't matter. Seriously? It amazes me what lengths and what points people are coming up with to dislike or to put down this game. It doesn't make ANY sense to waste your time coming in a games forum and posting things like that. Most of all since it's not a concern that has to do with the game, it's the ops hate towards one of the oldest and best mmos developers/publishers around. I admit that AION was a game I passed but I have tested and played all the other games NCSoft produced or published and wasn't dissappointed by them at all(unlike other publishers or developers).

There are a lot of assumptions floating around in this thread about how companies and specifically parent and child company relationships work, and I think not a great deal of actual understanding of those relationships.

Regardless, unless someone has evidence of something I don't know, we do not know what level of influence, if any, NCSoft exerts on their western division, and on ArenaNet in particular.

From what I have seen, I believe NCSoft funds games with good pitches, and if they turn a profit, and the child group can keep itself solvent, they will continue to fund future development. If the game does not turn a significant enough profit, they will close the servers as quickly as they like. Look at Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa vs. Guild Wars. Guild Wars is still being developed with new content to this day, and from what I can tell, follows the same vision as when it was released. This is because it makes money.

In short, I don't think NCSoft exerts any editorial control, at all whatever, over the content or design of any of the games made by subsidiary groups, at any level, but if the game does not make a return, they shut the doors as fast as they can. And this seems to be an effective business model for them.

I agree with the above poster. I think they wanted to but had so many problems with trying to bring GW into the fold they stopped. Example is when you pre-buy from A.Net. You do not have to go to NCSoft and log in to get the beta of the game. It is all done by A.Net. Also your GW1 game and your GW2 game are connected now - due to HoM this makes perfect sense.

I think NCSoft is allowing A.Net to develop it's own game w/o interference.

Last time I checked Nintendo was both a publisher and a developer. Although I'm sure those 2 aspects of the company are handled by different sections of the company. So what's your point? His "moral of the story" is quite accurate

His "moral of the story" was though a  general and not a specific one. He even used Aion as example of a bad game.

This discussion has been closed.