Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 is better than ever!

SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

After playing SWTOR and beta testing TSW, my son and I decided to give EQ2 another chance. Got to admit the mercenaries are an awesome addition. We rolled two new characters Iksar Brusier and Iksar Defiler, leveled to 21 in a very short amount of time (which was shocking since I played the game since launch). Anyway my son always hated EQ2 but he played it because I liked it. Now he has fell in love with it with the new additions. We both bought the new expansion/service pack since we both had over 20 in Station Cash and with the rebates they had this weekend, made the expansion cheap! But I am glad we tried it again.

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

leveling fast in an mmo is the worst thing to happen to the genre. In everquest 2 you level so fast that you miss out on loads of content.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it was also double exp last weeked  (Fri thru Monday) -- im sure that was large part of the speed :)

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

EQ2 is a very good game.

Too bad it took them so long to "step it up."

The engine really needs to go too.

• DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41

I also recently came back with all 3 of my accounts and i can now box a full group because of mercenaries :) Having the most fun i've had in a mmorpg in ages.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I also just came back and after month i bought a yrs sub, the only other game that comes close to EQ2 now is Vanguard. My guess it will soon be just as good if they add the item shop.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Glad your enjoying it. I have recently been going through some old games, trying them or thinking of. WoW seems to be the leader still, but Rift got me thinking it has most things wow does but better gfx.

Trion certainly dish out the content. What does EQ2 have that Rift does not?

(played many mmo's, not a wow/rift fan boi, just curious seen as these two seem to be the latest released leader)

Originally posted by coxyroxy

EQ2 has more content than RIFT

but thats only because its an older game with 8 expansions

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to the OP, yes i agree with you it's surprising how good the game is now... though i miss the old newb island compared to kelethin//halas :S

to the person who asked what eq2 has as opposed to rift...

housing, vastly more in depth crafting, a much larger world and more depth overall, which is not a knock on trion but more a nod to a game that has been around forever.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

I went back to EQ2 and am very glad i did.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Glad your enjoying it. I have recently been going through some old games, trying them or thinking of. WoW seems to be the leader still, but Rift got me thinking it has most things wow does but better gfx.

(played many mmo's, not a wow/rift fan boi, just curious seen as these two seem to be the latest released leader)

Quite a bit, really. A vastly larger world (albeit zoned,) best-in-class housing, one of the best crafting setups that lets you level in parallel as a crafter, or even instead of adventuring, with its own quests, storylines, even instances. Tons of lore, classes and races, etc. It's not really a fair comparison - Trion is doing a fantastic job supporting Rift, but their model for doing so comes directly from EQ2 - the head guy there was the head guy on EQ2. EQ2 has just been around a lot longer. Plus Rift's graphics are obviously more up to date, but EQ2 looks surprisingly good in places if you run it on high settings.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

i got screwed and missed the sale.

when moneys tight, hearing people brag about this shit is like nails on an effing chalkboard.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Istavaan

leveling fast in an mmo is the worst thing to happen to the genre. In everquest 2 you level so fast that you miss out on loads of content.

Well, I guess it's a good thing you can turn your xp rate down whenever you want, eh?

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Sometimes you just can't go back yet again.  I played everquest and everquest 2 enough times that going back would just mess up the memories.  Plus I am still kind of upset at them for a circumstance that emptied my station credits that they didnt help me with ....

At any rate though.

I am waiting on everquest next.  That will be when I give everquest another chance.  And I am sincerely hoping that it can rekindle the old magic.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Nadia

EQ2 has more content than RIFT

but thats only because its an older game with 8 expansions

Not just more content but far, far more than just combat in the game but then it all depends in what you're looking for in a MMO- if all you're seeking is combat, raiding, and PvP then Rift is an excellent choice but EQ2 ofers a lot more than just that.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Lore

Interesting races

Housing (yes, coming for Rift but likely not in as detail)

Heritage quests

Open dungeons (non instanced)

Epic quests (for crafters too)

You know how fast Trion puts out content?  EQ2 on an average year puts out more.  

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by coxyroxy   Trion certainly dish out the content. What does EQ2 have that Rift does not?  
    Lore

Interesting races

Housing (yes, coming for Rift but likely not in as detail)

Heritage quests

Open dungeons (non instanced)

Epic quests (for crafters too)

You know how fast Trion puts out content?  EQ2 on an average year puts out more.  

You did not just say EQ2 puts out more content in a year then Rift does.. We will not even go into that train wreck.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

You did not just say EQ2 puts out more content in a year then Rift does.. We will not even go into that train wreck.

Not counting AoD, EQ2 in 7 full years has put out 7 expansions.  This along with typically 3 other patches per year with content of some kind.   So yes, based on what Rift has given us so far EQ2 is clearly ahead.  Maybe Storm Legion changes this, maybe it doesnt.  We shall see.  But for now, EQ2 is the winner in content and its not close.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Not counting AoD, EQ2 in 7 full years has put out 7 expansions.  This along with typically 3 other patches per year with content of some kind.   So yes, based on what Rift has given us so far EQ2 is clearly ahead.  Maybe Storm Legion changes this, maybe it doesnt.  We shall see.  But for now, EQ2 is the winner in content and its not close.

EQ2 at the moment has more "time waste" potential or content than all the other "major" titles combined.

Originally posted by cerebrix

i got screwed and missed the sale.

soe usually has sales during July 4rth -- in 4 weeks

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i left the game when they introduced cash shop along with subscription model .if they give me some free days to test it out .  i might try it to see what the people saying here is true or not

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Didn't they give 500SC for free to all existing accounts due to some Facebook campaign sucess? Now you can basically upgrade to Silver for free.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

EQ2 is a great game! Enormous world and mindblowing amount of quests and dungeons. Characters are relatively customizable with the AA system (I have a dps paladin which I love :-).

My biggest gripe with the game is the lvl 80-85 part in Stonebrunt Highlands etc with all the Fed-Ex type quests. That killed my fun bigtime.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441

By far still the best game out there right now! (Vanguard is close for sure) so many things to always do and never be bored!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

Originally posted by Methos12

Didn't they give 500SC for free to all existing accounts due to some Facebook campaign sucess? Now you can basically upgrade to Silver for free.

anyone who ever subbed to the game prior to Dec 2012 was upgraded to a silver account

any characters that existed prior to Dec 2012, were grandfathered for Race/Class access

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I remember ole EQ2, superior graphics in it's day and loads of content, however the the hump I couldn't get over was too many loading screens and didn't like how they had multiple zones of the same area. It sure was different in its time.

The original Evercrack will always be my game of choice over EQ2, but I did have fun in EQ2 while my fun lasted with it. I don't ever think I will go back since they got a F2P model, but as I told my friends that play mmo's like me, never say never to any mmo, you might end up in it.