Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisment breaks in games

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

So far we got ads in games when the game was loading up, then during loading screens, and sometimes also in the games themselves.

Now Sony got a patent for having games stop to display ads. They specified stuff, such as preparing the user for the ad, by having the game slow down. Then force the user to watch the ad, then slowly speed up the game again until it's back at the normal pace.

This will be fun. :|

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

just do what most other older mmo gamers do, dont play games published by sony. their track record is horrible at best.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Salio69

just do what most other older mmo gamers do, dont play games published by sony. their track record is horrible at best.

Highly doubt they will do this in an MMO. In the stopping your game kind of way at least. In something like a commercial apperaing in the corner of the screen, could happen.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

If the commercial reduces the price of a game, mainly console games here, maybe people will accept this thing, to a certain degree. If the cost is the same, ye, no advantage for the customer, just annoyance, so I hope they have a strong backlash on it.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

It really depends on how they do it and for what games. John Cheese mentioned it in a cracked article. Personally I'm fine with ads such as RL businesses on in game billboards or verbal commercials a la the parody radio station in the GTA series- as long as the setting is modern day or futuristic and it's something that doesn't ruin my immersion I couldn't care less. The problem I see is none of that fits with a fantasy theme like, oh, the great majority of MMORPGs.

As far as halting the game for ads, unless it's a demo or a F2P game like many smartphone games I wouldn't even touch it.

• TuckeryalTuckeryal Member Posts: 2
    I'm fine with product placement and such in games, they need the revenue to stay afloat etc.

But forcefully stopping the game for an ad break??? In something you paid to play?? It's not like it's free to view tv or something...

Websites like pogo.com have forced intermissions on free accounts, but once you pay, they're gone.... why should we be forced ads after we've paid?

Avoiding any games that have this crap.