Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you know why everyone plays LoL right now?

Comments

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Chingo
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Played it once, got called a newb for no reason so I didn't play it agian.

Getting called a "newb" is comparatively nice for LoL.  The community is far and away the worst mmorpg's have to offer.  Since the game the itself isn't that great, it's not worth putting up those kiddies.

Tried it too a while ago. I think the comment I got when I joined a baby level battleground or whatever they were called for the first time went something like "What the *** are you doing? Are you a noob?".

Not bothering to answer that "Yes, just started 30 mins ago, care to give me some helpful tips friend?" I logged out and uninstalled. Not a very nice experience of a game "community". But I came away from it as a victor -  one experience richer and more appreciative of the good social experiences in online games:)

Yeah I got called a newb and much worse in my first and only game of LoL.  However, I didn't uninstall because of the crappy community.  I was completely floored with how stupid MOBA gameplay is.  There is a bunch of stupid mobs just walking in a line and running into each other.  I don't get it.   

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Tried it too a while ago. I think the comment I got when I joined a baby level battleground or whatever they were called for the first time went something like "What the *** are you doing? Are you a noob?".

Not bothering to answer that "Yes, just started 30 mins ago, care to give me some helpful tips friend?" I logged out and uninstalled. Not a very nice experience of a game "community". But I came away from it as a victor -  one experience richer and more appreciative of the good social experiences in online games:)

Yeah I got called a newb and much worse in my first and only game of LoL.  However, I didn't uninstall because of the crappy community.  I was completely floored with how stupid MOBA gameplay is.  There is a bunch of stupid mobs just walking in a line and running into each other.  I don't get it.   

Not a fan of MOBAs myself but wanted to see what they are about. Incidentally, tried Tribes: Ascend after LoL for a week or so and found it much more fun with no "noob-calling". But alas, MOBAs are just not  my thing. 

• I too uninstalled LoL because of the terrible community. Out of all the online games I have ever played, LoL's community was the worst.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by rabite256

I too uninstalled LoL because of the terrible community. Out of all the online games I have ever played, LoL's community was the worst.

Its true. I never thought I'd see such a vicious community. Its really quite remarkable.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Doesn't surprise me this is the rebuttal I get. Express you don't like a game and you must be terrible at it right?

Much like WoW...it wasn't as much the game I disliked...but the cesspool community within.

Yeah, LoL players must be exactly like you said. Otherwise they would play something else. *rolls eyes*

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by rabite256

I too uninstalled LoL because of the terrible community. Out of all the online games I have ever played, LoL's community was the worst.

Its true. I never thought I'd see such a vicious community. Its really quite remarkable.

Not only vicious, they're stunningly rude... You do 1 wrong thing and get flamed with 4 blowtorches and foul language :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

LoL has like 30 million accounts or something.

That's larger than real-life cities (heck COUNTRIES!). Big surprise the community is 'awful'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Getting called a "newb" is comparatively nice for LoL.  The community is far and away the worst mmorpg's have to offer.  Since the game the itself isn't that great, it's not worth putting up those kiddies.

This was my same exact experience in LoL. Uninstalled within about an hour.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

LoL is full of ADD ridden twitch kids who spend a majority of the time callign other players in the match names rather than actually be a team player. LoL is not that great...at all.

Rather play Anno 2070, Skyrim, Stronghold Kingdoms...amonst others.

"Damn whippersnappers beating me in my video games!"

Doesn't surprise me this is the rebuttal I get. Express you don't like a game and you must be terrible at it right?

Much like WoW...it wasn't as much the game I disliked...but the cesspool community within.

Except that you did not express that you don't like the game. You made derogatory comments, or perhaps medical diagnosis, of the player base and made a statement about the quality of the game.

"I don't like LoL," is very different from what you said.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

For me its due to the fact its the epitome of casual yet fun gameplay. I dont have to invest a lot of time into it. It has a shallow learning curve to be decent with enough depth that good players will still beat mediocre or bad players. Its the perfect thing to hold me inbetween one crappy MMO release to the next while I wait for something good to come out. In addition it does not require a lot of twitch playing to be good, just a decent brain. Since my twitch days are behind me this is the perfect balance.

I would like to see some truly varied gameplay added into the game with expanded maps and additional strategic goals in addition to the current maps and current gameplay to satisfy my need for a more strategic game over just a purely tactical game.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

As for the "mean" community I would have to say I rarely see this personally. Its the exception and not the norm. This is with the caveat that if your a horrible player and you try to play a lot of pug pvp you will get a lot of grief for good reason. The pvp is there for the challenge of going against human oppenents and no one likes a teamate that drags them down and makes them lose due to sheer stupidity.

On the other hand if you play against the bots, there are two levels of bot difficulty. The beginner bots are really easy and if you are that bad at the game you should be playing against beginner bots untill you get the hang of things. If you see someone ranting in a beginner bot game you need only ask them why they are playing beginner bots if they are so good. That usually shuts them up. Same with intermediate bots if you are at least a halfway decent player.

The last resort for the truly obnoxious player is the ignore command. In a worst case scenario I will typically see only one truly obnoxious person in a match and I will freely use the ignore command on them.

Finnally it is possible to add people to a friends list and make your own team for any style of play and in this way you never have to worry about playing with obnoxious or rude people.

The devs have given you all the tools you need to allow you to create an enjoyable game play experience.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Ares31

Wrong...........

Just

Wrong

RIFT has blown away the MMO competition.....If you dont like RIFT/TRION, you dont like MMO's....period

disliking handholding, carebear, raid-or-die PvE fests = disliking MMOs

one can only read such utter idiocies in mmorpg.com forums....

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227
    Im justwaiting for archeage,the only mmo that will worth to play

killing my free time with tsw while i w8

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I did an ignore all whenever I entered a LoL game.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

1) It is NOT a MMORPG. It is a MOBA .. even their own website say so.

2) you don't have to play with strangers. You can play with friends. You have friends, don't you? Who cares about community when you can play with friends?

1) who cares what it's called

2) snide remark... you must fit in great in LoL

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Wrong...........

Just

Wrong

RIFT has blown away the MMO competition.....If you dont like RIFT/TRION, you dont like MMO's....period

I quit Rift after 3 months, the world was limited for places to play for your level, too railed, and it was just daily pvp and pve grinds....harvesting/crafting was a little shallow...Just wasn't cutting it imo....  I will say Trion seems like a great company...But you don't like mmos if you don't like Rift?  Been playing MMOs since UO launched...

Played UO for like 6-7 years total, EQ for 6-7 total, Daoc over a year, VG over a year, WAR like 6-8 months, so I would say you are wrong.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Ashen_X

LoL is full of ADD ridden twitch kids who spend a majority of the time callign other players in the match names rather than actually be a team player. LoL is not that great...at all.

Except that you did not express that you don't like the game. You made derogatory comments, or perhaps medical diagnosis, of the player base and made a statement about the quality of the game.

Jesus...ok Dr. Phil. Guessing a rabid LoL fan?

Suggesting I am making  a medical diagnosis is just a silly comment and stretching it to fit what you think I meant. Yes, it WAS derogatory...but it fits in my eyes since the VAST majority of it's players act in such a manner... through the experience of playing it . And after all, this is just my opinion.  Don't like it...too bad....simple as that.

Suggesting I am making  a medical diagnosis is just a silly comment and stretching it to fit what you think I meant. Yes, it WAS derogatory...but it fits in my eyes since the VAST majority of it's players act in such a manner... through the experience of playing it . And after all, this is just my opinion.  Don't like it...too bad....simple as that.

You must know you sound like a major-league hypocrite, right?

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Honestly, LoL is a great game.

I don't play it personally as I was playing other games and just didn't get into it, but I totally see the appeal and why MOBAs are so popular.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Not a fan of LOL actually.

You claimed that the rebuttal was in response to you saying that you didnt like the game. It was not. it was in response to you posting something that read like an angry old man yelling at kids to get off of his lawn. If you had actually just posted that you didnt like LOL, the rebuttal would not have been applicable.

I didn't stretch anything by the way. I made no subjective interpretation of what you meant. You used extremely specific terminology.

Vast majority ? Is this one of those 90% of all statistics on the internet things ?

To clarify, I am not a fan of LOL, not because I dilike it particularly, but rather because I am not normally a fan of the genre. I came into this thread originally because of the title. I was curious to see if the OP had some insight that might pique my interest. The experiences of others, as expressed in this thread, have led me to believe that it might be worth trying, but that I would likely want to make more extensive use of the ignore function than is normally my preferrence in an online game.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

You've got to be joking.  

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

My two cents.

I prefer the original old school MMO's to the "modern MMO's" which well, just bore me to tears. I miss the days when people actually RP'ed in games. I miss the days when there was permadeth (NWN on AOL), I miss the days when games had actual purpose and an actual point to playing (MPBT on GEnie), I miss the days when MMO's were just fun and not a loot grind and level treadmill. By those comparisons, all MMO's right now are just not fun at all for me. I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 to a degree because it's alot different. I am most excited about Mechwarrior Online because for the most part it's going to be a reincarnation of the original Multi-Player Battletech from GEnie which was one of the first MMO's. I'm all over that like white on rice. That all being said however...

I loves me some LoL. I love it because I can just play it and have fun. I think alot of game devs miss the point nowadays. Games should be about fun and not about a work ethic. I don't enjoy any game because I need to "level up" or "grind away" gear. I play a game based on whether or not it is fun, not on how much I have to work at it. I love LOL because it's so laid back. I can pick it up at any point in time and just play. It's FUN, and that's something most modern MMO's just don't seem to really get which I think is very very sad.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I dont play games like that, infact i think the are very very bad..

they are knid of like an RTS game but without all the good bits :(

SO no im not playing LOL..

This is pretty much the experience I had with it.

Felt like a feature lite RTS.  No fun at all for me.  I'd rather play minecraft, and personally I think minecraft sucks beyond belief as well.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I dont play games like that, infact i think the are very very bad..

they are knid of like an RTS game but without all the good bits :(

SO no im not playing LOL..

This is pretty much the experience I had with it.

Felt like a feature lite RTS.  No fun at all for me.  I'd rather play minecraft, and personally I think minecraft sucks beyond belief as well.

so one is game where your skill matters, a lot. Second one requires you to use your imagination to do anything meaningful. And they both sux. Is there a game that doesnt suck? Is it one of 700-800 wow clones we got in past few years, where you can play while watching tv? :=o)

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Lonzo

There is no alternative for us MMO-Fans out there. LoL is the perfect thing to play between MMO releases and right now there is really no MMORPG out there that is really worth to play.

I tried LoL, but I get "stuffed" pretty fast. DOTA games are just not for me. My alternative to MMORPG would be single player RPG.