Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is faster to level doing Hearts, or DEs?

letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

I'm not the rush rush type, but a lot of people are. If Hearts net more xp for the time spent, than DEs, I can see DEs being avoided much like rifts were. 

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

If you only do one kind you'll be losing out on XP.

The best way to level up is to explore, DEs and personal story, i found that the hearts weren't that awesome to level up but they do give awesome rewards.

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Rivalen

The best way to level up is to explore, DEs and personal story, i found that the hearts weren't that awesome to level up but they do give awesome rewards.

So are you saying DEs give more xp, but Hearts give better loot?

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

You do hearts once to "access" the rewards then just explore and do DEs as they appear. You do need karma to get the rewards from the hearts and you gain karma by doing DEs and hearts

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Man this question is very open to a number of factors. Hearts are better exp reward, but honestly everything depends on how many other players are doing it as well.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by letsxhat

I'm not the rush rush type, but a lot of people are.

They're not going to like this game. I don't think it even has an endgame. Nothing to rush to.

I would expect DE's or dungeons give the most exp, but who knows. I don't see hearts giving much exp considering what kind of tasks they are. But then again, they are one time events.

You also gain exp for exploring.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503
    Originally posted by Rivalen

So are you saying DEs give more xp, but Hearts give better loot?

I'm saying that DEs will lead you to more content but Hearts have nice rewards.

Personal story gives more xp then both.

But leveling up in GW2 is not mandatory, you can do most content at any time, so rushing is really not a good idea.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This game isn't about grinding lvls. Plain and simple.

Best way to get exp? By doing a variety of different things constantly. DEs, Hearts, Map completion, crafting, WvW, etc.

- If all you are interested in is grinding out EXP, this will not be a good game for you. Just fyi. There's already been a fair amount of players trying to play this way, and all they succeeded in doing was to miss out on the majority of the content this game has to offer.

Side Note:

This is something a lot of people don't seem to realize, but Hearts are in the game as a guide. They are not meant to be the meat of the game, and this becomes more apparent the higher the zone you quest in. The hearts system was added to the game after early beta feedback, in which players were too confused over DEs and didn't seem to understand the concept of going out and exploring. They wanted to be told where to quest / what to do, and the Hearts are Anet's way of segueing people from the traditional themepark mindset into this new questing system.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

DE are rare there is no chance you can level from them unless you play only in pvp and hop in pve when someone call you for an event. I saw only 3 or 4 event in the beta week end and played a lot during it, i don't even know how much hearts i made probably over 20.

And hearts work pretty much like events except that they are like mini events, and repeat all the time so people can level from doing them. Hearts are definitely made for you to progress, that's pretty obvious when playing the game.

Also i think a lot of people mix events and hearts, i did mix them myself at the beginning, i think a lot of people think hearts are DE, but it seam that DE and hearts weave sometime, but i'm not sure how, as i said they definitely share the same mechanisms. Also we don't really know yet how much those DE are interacting honestly, our playtime was too short. DE are like super stuff with boss fight or whatever, but the transition between heart and DE is really smooth, there is nothing saying "pause this is a DE now", you realize it once you fight that huge boss or something.

PS in any case hearts are marked on your map, DE are not.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

You also get xp from unlocking waypoints and for visiting Points of Interest, the latter is also to encourage you to explore away from the renown hearts and discover more events. Gathering also gave you xp, completing a step in your daily kill type and gathering quota achievements also unlock xp, just creature kills gave little xp. It seems that the most effective way to gain xp is to just play the game and follow the signs laid out for you. You'll be wanting to complete renown hearts to unlock the karma vendor to get new gear with your earned karma.

To me the whole experience looks xp rich, you're rewarded for pretty much everything and levels plateau quite early. I reckon just playing the way you want would be enough, remember this game isn't about rushing to max level, it's about the fun that everything in the game has to offer, whether you're a killer, explorer or achiever, as a killer though just make sure your killing event mobs :)

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

I'm a level 32 ranger, the fastest way of leveling is unlocking all the things in the map, points of interest, hearts and skill challenges, once you finish them off you are way too high level for the map, and you get a reward via mail that is pretty interesting. Of course, don't skip the dynamic events you will encounter while exploring.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Requiamer

DE are rare there is no chance you can level from them unless you play only in pvp and hop in pve when someone call you for an event. I saw only 3 or 4 event in the beta week end and played a lot during it, i don't even know how much hearts i made probably over 20.

Also i think a lot of people mix events and hearts, i did mix them myself at the beginning, i think a lot of people think hearts are DE, but it seam that DE and hearts weave sometime, but i'm not sure how, as i said they definitely share the same mechanisms. Also we don't really know yet how much those DE are interacting honestly, our playtime was too short. DE are like super stuff with boss fight or whatever, but the transition between heart and DE is really smooth, there is nothing saying "pause this is a DE now", you realize it once you fight that huge boss or something.

They actually aren't. They may seem rare in the starter zone, but this is only because these inital zones are meant as transition zones, to help ween players off of the traditional themepark quest-grind mentallity.

You're absolutely right about this. Many people do mix up the two. The differences are basically this:

- Hearts behave like frequent, repeating, mini-events that are always visible on the map. They are Anet's way of showing players where to go, without blatantly pointing out all the different events going on (which leaves a lot of room for exploration).

- DEs behave like events that are just happening around you, whether you realize them or not. On the surface they do look like heart quests, without the icon, except they tend to have longer event changes, which vary depending on the number of people involved / as well as the outcome of what the players end up doing through the event.

How these play off each other is that the hearts are placed nearby dynamic events. So the hearts act as beacons, drawing players towards areas that have dynamic events. It is then up to the players to actively look around and see what else might be going on besides the heart quest. Unfortunately a lot of players miss this, or are too impatient to bother trying.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    This game is not about leveling fast, this game is about enjoying the experience

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

In the BWE1 I did the hearts and the DEs and I found that in the larger DEs when there were a couple dozzen players in the area I was getting huge exp. In some of the DEs that lasted an upwards of an hour I was able to get a whole lvl and that was in the lvl 15ish range.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Requiamer DE are rare there is no chance you can level from them unless you play only in pvp and hop in pve when someone call you for an event. I saw only 3 or 4 event in the beta week end and played a lot during it, i don't even know how much hearts i made probably over 20. Also i think a lot of people mix events and hearts, i did mix them myself at the beginning, i think a lot of people think hearts are DE, but it seam that DE and hearts weave sometime, but i'm not sure how, as i said they definitely share the same mechanisms. Also we don't really know yet how much those DE are interacting honestly, our playtime was too short. DE are like super stuff with boss fight or whatever, but the transition between heart and DE is really smooth, there is nothing saying "pause this is a DE now", you realize it once you fight that huge boss or something.
    They actually aren't. They may seem rare in the starter zone, but this is only because these inital zones are meant as transition zones, to help ween players off of the traditional themepark quest-grind mentallity. You're absolutely right about this. Many people do mix up the two. The differences are basically this: - Hearts behave like frequent, repeating, mini-events that are always visible on the map. They are Anet's way of showing players where to go, without blatantly pointing out all the different events going on (which leaves a lot of room for exploration). - DEs behave like events that are just happening around you, whether you realize them or not. On the surface they do look like heart quests, without the icon, except they tend to have longer event changes, which vary depending on the number of people involved / as well as the outcome of what the players end up doing through the event. How these play off each other is that the hearts are placed nearby dynamic events. So the hearts act as beacons, drawing players towards areas that have dynamic events. It is then up to the players to actively look around and see what else might be going on besides the heart quest. Unfortunately a lot of players miss this, or are too impatient to bother trying.

Ye i probably meant to say rarer than heart, since i was making my own comparison when writing. I'm kind of please to hear that De take more importance later on, that's what i expect to find later on but wasn't sure i should expect it or not, with all this hype nonsense around you don't know where is you right mind anymore :p

Anyway the transition is really nicely done. And ye you have to learn to take your time in this game and to just pause and try to enjoy the scenery (actually something happen in GW2), what and why is happening, it was especially hard in the BWE because you wanted to see as much as possible, but at the end of the week end a lot of people realized they should just cool down to better enjoy the game, since it was obvious you would miss a lot by just rushing around.

• ElifiaElifia Member Posts: 78

Why do people keep saying hearts are repeatable mini events? They aren't. They are pretty much the opposite. They are small 1-time tasks.

It wouldn't make sense if they were repeatable because they are there to guide you through the zone and as a way of 'completing' a zone (for the completionists), and it would accomplish neither of those tasks if you could just repeat them over and over. DEs are the ones that repeat.

"I'll lead, you follow."

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Elifia

Why do people keep saying hearts are repeatable mini events? They aren't. They are pretty much the opposite. They are small 1-time tasks.

It wouldn't make sense if they were repeatable because they are there to guide you through the zone and as a way of 'completing' a zone (for the completionists), and it would accomplish neither of those tasks if you could just repeat them over and over. DEs are the ones that repeat.

Exactly. Once a Heart has been completed (filled up) the NPC becomes a Karma vendor and you will not be able to do it again. Hearts are not repeatable, dynamic events are. I've played the game long enough to realize this and if anyone say otherwise, then you simply haven't been playing the game.

Dynamic Events are the meat of the open world PvE, which is why ArenaNet have been showing that of and not the Hearts, which were merely put in to guide those that needed handholding.

I'm pretty sure the hearts I was doing were, in fact, repeatable. Yeah, they fill once, but then you can still repeat them.

Originally posted by Irus

I'm pretty sure the hearts I was doing were, in fact, repeatable. Yeah, they fill once, but then you can still repeat them.

So you're telling me the Heart empties, allowing you to refill it and gain that chunk of XP & coin reward again?

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

I'm a bit of a nubbin when it comes to GW2 and my following of it.  WTF is a heart?  I get DE and the like..but whaza heart?

Originally posted by Gurpslord

I'm a bit of a nubbin when it comes to GW2 and my following of it.  WTF is a heart?  I get DE and the like..but whaza heart?

A Heart is a Heart. Look at any video of GW2 in a starter zone and you'll see players go to them, like moths being guided to a bright light. image

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

No, he's saying you can do the tasks involved. I'm not sure if it nets you a reward...and the karma vendor stays a karma vendor...but you can choose to pick up iron bars again in the area and put them in the rack if you want to for some weird reason.

The fastest way to level in GW2 is not to ask, "what is the fastest way to level?"

Instead, just play. Explore, discover... follow some NPCs as they play out their stories from event to event. Do some personal story. Wander a city. You'll gain levels without even noticing...and you'll be having fun the whole time rather than trying to grind as fast as you can to get to the fun.

The people who had issues with leveling in the first beta event were the people who were looking for where to grind, or looking for something to lead them by the nose. The game doesn't work that way, and if you try to play it like a task grind, your going to have a frustrating time.

Originally posted by Master10K

So you're telling me the Heart empties, allowing you to refill it and gain that chunk of XP & coin reward again?

No it's full. But you can still do it, I think. Unless they spliced an event on top of a heart and I confused it with that?

Here's a map of GW2's hearts and events and stuff: http://www.littlethings2.com/GuildWars2/map.php?w=1200&h=600

The heart I'm talking about is "Help out at the scrap yard." "Pick up scrap, unexploded mortar shells, etc." I distinctly recall doing that over and over again since I was around a lot. The heart was filled at that time. It doesn't unfil, and I wasn't paying attention to coin or rewards at the time so I dunno. Didn't see any karma vendors.

The heart on the right, I'm not sure. There is the dynamic event there that I kept doing, I don't recall if I ever filled the heart or not.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Elifia

This. I think many players are a little confused about hearts, and imo thats a flaw of GW2.

Hearts are actually more like filler content, but the game makes it feel as if players are supposed to do mainly hearts. And that's exactly what some players do - focus on heart quests instead of DEs.

Hype train -> Reality

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by Gurpslord

Here's a good explanation of the basic types of open-world content in GW2.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/flameseeker-chronicles-quest-education/

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I'm not the rush rush type, but a lot of people are. If Hearts net more xp for the time spent, than DEs, I can see DEs being avoided much like rifts were. 

There will be a methodology that gives greater xp per hour, and those that dont get GW2 will indeed pick this method and race to 80..and realise later their rush was pointless and that many others are taking their time and rnjoying the game.  At this point they will probably down-level and join their friends, and then, finally, they will get it :)  For me, I have no problems with them rushing, it does not effect me now as there is no gear curve I have to keep up with - and that is the root of the matter.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D