Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor down to 200k to 300k players Left

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I think the only thing that is clear is that SWTOR is not remotely close to the 1.3 million subs once reported..  Once ALL the transfers are done, and AFTER all the FREE sub time expires, I wouldn't be surprised to see numbers below 500K..  SWTOR had a perfect IP and opportunity to make a game that could hold 1 million subs, but instead tried to make a co-op KOTOR with WoW like flavors to justify a monthly Sub..  I'm so disappointed in Bioware/EA

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Hah

Threads like these show just how delusional the usual suspects are around these parts. If things were like the OP suggests, you would be seeing the game client actually given away, or a price tag of 5 bucks like so many other MMOs do.

Instead, we once more have the SWG PRECioUs crowd, a GW2 fanboi or two, and even some Repopulation folks taking time from soliciting the boards to rattle off the yaps.

We heard SWG was going to close for like 4 yrs.....do you guys intend to carry on as long about this game as well? It isnt going anywhere, nor is it down to 300k or less.

Lets clue in on some reality shall we? Not only will this game keep plugging along, GW2 wont be the harbinger of Baby Jesus Tears, the Repopulation is going to be Nicheville or less, and you guys will never get back the Precious. All the while, the so called 200 to 300k will continue to pull in more money than all 3....well 2 since Owen Wars is burnt n crispy, but you get the idea.

The shit you guys keep pulling around here isnt just fucking rude, it is down right annoying....grow up already.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Hah

Threads like these show just how delusional the usual suspects are around these parts. If things were like the OP suggests, you would be seeing the game client actually given away, or a price tag of 5 bucks like so many other MMOs do.

Instead, we once more have the SWG PRECioUs crowd, a GW2 fanboi or two, and even some Repopulation folks taking time from soliciting the boards to rattle off the yaps.

We heard SWG was going to close for like 4 yrs.....do you guys intend to carry on as long about this game as well? It isnt going anywhere, nor is it down to 300k or less.

Lets clue in on some reality shall we? Not only will this game keep plugging along, GW2 wont be the harbinger of Baby Jesus Tears, the Repopulation is going to be Nicheville or less, and you guys will never get back the Precious. All the while, the so called 200 to 300k will continue to pull in more money than all 3....well 2 since Owen Wars is burnt n crispy, but you get the idea.

The shit you guys keep pulling around here isnt just fucking rude, it is down right annoying....grow up already.

They are going free to play for levels 1-15 you dont have to buy the box any more when 1.3 roles out so yes it gotten bad.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Hah

Ever hear that sqeeky wheel gets the grease? If everyone is all forgiving like you then PVP will be as it begun, well OK it still is but we forced them to admit it, UI will still be locked, no bugs anywhere will be fixed, no attempts to balance classes, no chat bubbles, oh wait, still no chat bubbles, my bad, no one would of called out the bait and switch ranked warzone scam, no improvements what so ever or even talk of any.

Who is really more delusional? The people and their hyperbole about what is wrong or the people and their hyperbole that nothing is wrong? If you really truly believe people being critics are delusional then I have ocean front property for a very nice price in Arizona if your interested.

Don’t know what else to say if being critical hurts your feelings so much that it makes you attack everyone for it. My opinion is they are the ones trying the get the game improved where you are trying to stagnate it further. Any questions about that? I’m sure many here will like to help you out.

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

No surprise, a very wise man(of whom i forget the name) during the whole ME3 ending fiasco was kind enought to point out that Coporate jargon has nothing to do with the english language and that for a company to announce:

" VAST MAJORITY OF SUBSCRIBERS" legally and techinicly means 51%. vast majority= 51%
    so there was never a 1.7 milion, it was never there, it was CORPORATE MUMBO JUMBO, to sell more boxes. if they had 1.7 subs o you betcha they woulda told us but thery never had anything close to that amount.

Frankly, from a consumer standpoint you have to appreciate this game tanking,as much as it pains me to see a great IP like SW get treated like garbage, it released totally bugged down to the core was over hyped and sold as a WOW killer when did not even come close to the incredibly functioning game that WOW is.

So the lesson is if theres money involved words will never speak the full truth.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Not that low, somewhere between 500k and 1mil I reckon. I don't believe anything ea say, so I'm sure 1.3 is a massaged figure, but I also don't believe its as low as that.

Why would it be a massaged figure? It was awhile ago. There's no reason to think the population is increasing or remaining steady. It has declined from that point, if for no other reason than that's what happens with MMORPG.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Bardus

Don’t know what else to say if being critical hurts your feelings so much that it makes you attack everyone for it. My opinion is they are the ones trying the get the game improved where you are trying to stagnate it further. Any questions about that? I’m sure many here will like to help you out.

Let's be real and honest here, many are just gloating and have no intention at all to see the game improve, heck, a number of them have even stated literally that they wanted to see the game fail. In fact I'd bet that this applies to most people (but not all) here who for some reason keep posting negative stuff about SWTOR, for some even more so than that they post about any game they like: gloating, schadenfreude, and wanting to see a game they dislike or of a company they dislike fail image

Originally posted by muthax

LOL it really makes me wonder about people when I read threads like this. Really don't you have anything better to do than MONITOR how TOR is doing? And spit out posts after posts full of hate? You should all really check with a therapist before it's too late, and please don't give me that bull about "trying to make the genre better", you are just trolls gloating;I just came out of GW2 beta and was full of trolls like you all, just this time saying how crap GW2 is and why it has to change combat to something "more MMO" because they are too lazy to learn....

Kinda this. Applies to a big chunk of the actively posting mmorpg.com community, possibly even more than half if I have to guess image

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Bombzaway

No surprise, a very wise man(of whom i forget the name) during the whole ME3 ending fiasco was kind enought to point out that Coporate jargon has nothing to do with the english language and that for a company to announce:

" VAST MAJORITY OF SUBSCRIBERS" legally and techinicly means 51%. vast majority= 51%
    so there was never a 1.7 milion, it was never there, it was CORPORATE MUMBO JUMBO, to sell more boxes. if they had 1.7 subs o you betcha they woulda told us but thery never had anything close to that amount.

Frankly, from a consumer standpoint you have to appreciate this game tanking,as much as it pains me to see a great IP like SW get treated like garbage, it released totally bugged down to the core was over hyped and sold as a WOW killer when did not even come close to the incredibly functioning game that WOW is.

So the lesson is if theres money involved words will never speak the full truth.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/

Perhaps most interestingly to players, however, is the fact that EA has reported sales of more than 2 million units of The Old Republic with about 1.7 million subscribers

You can say that EA are liars if you want, but they did say that they had 1.7 million active subs. No "vast majority mumbo jumbo" involved.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by Bardus

Let's be real and honest here, many are just gloating and have no intention at all to see the game improve, heck, a number of them have even stated literally that they wanted to see the game fail. In fact I'd bet that this applies to most people (but not all) here who for some reason keep posting negative stuff about SWTOR, for some even more so than that they post about any game they like: gloating, schadenfreude, and wanting to see a game they dislike or of a company they dislike fail image

yeah what's the say? "sad bastards gonna be ....sad bastards"

or something

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If the combat were as fun level 10-50 as it is/was 1-10 I'd have stayed playing for a whole lot longer.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

So the reason for the OP thread is to say what?

I just don't get these attention threads, but it did grab my attention image

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by colddog04

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/

Perhaps most interestingly to players, however, is the fact that EA has reported sales of more than 2 million units of The Old Republic with about 1.7 million subscribers

You can say that EA are liars if you want, but they did say that they had 1.7 million active subs. No "vast majority mumbo jumbo" involved.

From that link you provide there is more to it:

[Update: Darth Hater has compiled some additional TOR-related statistics and Q&A from today's EA earnings call: "2,000,000+ copies sold, 40% sold through Origin; 1,700,000+ active subscribers, 1 million concurrent." The company also notes that "Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point."]

The highlighted bit in red is the "vast majority mumbo jumbo" and refers to the ones actually subbing after the first free month

1.7 activated their account, but the true figure of how many actuallly subbed after the free month is unknown, but anywhere between 0.867m and 1.7m

Originally posted by superniceguy

From that link you provide there is more to it:

[Update: Darth Hater has compiled some additional TOR-related statistics and Q&A from today's EA earnings call: "2,000,000+ copies sold, 40% sold through Origin; 1,700,000+ active subscribers, 1 million concurrent." The company also notes that "Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point."]

The highlighted bit in red is the "vast majority mumbo jumbo" and refers to the ones actually subbing after the first free month

1.7 activated their account, but the true figure of how many actuallly subbed after the free month is unknown, but anywhere between 0.867m and 1.7m

Yeah... I always considered box sales first month to count as an active sub myself. I thought most people did.

They never released the month after the first month numbers, but they did release numbes after the first three month which said 1.3 million subs.

It would lead me to believe that there were between 1.3 and 1.7 million that subbed up at least the second month.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Yeah... I always considered box sales first month to count as an active sub myself. I thought most people did.

They never released the month after the first month numbers, but they did release numbes after the first three month which said 1.3 million subs.

It would lead me to believe that there were between 1.3 and 1.7 million that subbed up at least the second month.

Well, since they admitted to pad their numbers none of those numbers are believable, and they even debunked themselves on 1,7m figure.

As BW says: subs are funny thing and depend on what math you use. Normal or creative kind.

Originally posted by mikahr

Well, since they admitted to pad their numbers none of those numbers are believable, and they even debunked themselves on 1,7m figure.

As BW says: subs are funny thing and depend on what math you use. Normal or creative kind.

One time one of the guys literally lied about it. One week he said that sub numbers have not gone down but concurrent subscribers have and the next week they released numbers that said subs went down from 1.7 mil to 1.3 mil.

They do have an annoying way of trying to spin things to make the numbers seem more favorable than they really are. And honestly, after witnessing that lie, what's to say they haven't lied before or won't continue to lie in the future?

I wasn't really trying to support the idea that the game is doing well or something. I was really just showing that they actually did release official info about their sub numbers and that "vast majority" wasn't mentioned when they did release them.

Originally posted by mikahr

You can throw any MMO Calculus into the equation ya want, you still dont arrive at 200k to 300k, which is a stated fact in this post. It isnt the first time either.

It is more bluster thrown by the haters. This forum is dominated by them. It generally revolves around the same theme....one makes an outlandish claim, then the rest chime in.

As for the comments of overlooking stuff, I think I have been on record several times stating PVP is a total fubar, and no way it should of been included in game. I am also on record stating there should of been a ton more end game PVE since leveling times seem to be hit pretty fast.

Same with things like custom UIs, too many servers, etc etc.

There is a way to go about listing stuff ya dont like, and then there is the flamer drama of MMORPG.com.  Some of you really need to grow up, cause the song n dance got old long ago.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

You dont lay off around 200 people, announce a mini  paid expansion and merge servers unless you have small numbers processing.

Originally posted by Wicoa

You dont lay off around 200 people, announce a mini  paid expansion and merge servers unless you have small numbers processing.

A mini paid expansion? Sure would like to see this information. It is news to me. I am not calling you a liar, just would like to see the source.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

A mini paid expansion? Sure would like to see this information. It is news to me. I am not calling you a liar, just would like to see the source.

I'm guessing this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=472411

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Elikal

I am not arguing exact numbers, but I am pretty sure the number of *active* players is pretty low now. I guess lots of people have their account activated waiting.

You know, EVERY professional review site praised SWTOR into the heavens! That so angered me, because it just contributed to leaving things as bad as they are. Game companies have just made them immune to ANY critique these days. God this sad trainwreck is so painful to watch. :(

I'm the opposite when it comes to watching the trainwreck. It's like having Xmas over and over with the same awesome present lol.

TOR wasn't "bad" per say. It was just way too late in the running. Had they released this thing before say, burning crusade, they would have dominated the mmo space... I think... maybe?

EDIT: @OP That's pretty much what I figured the numbers were but I thought I was alone in that thinking, could still be wrong though.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'm going to just go ahead and call BS on the OP's "math."  Funny that we trash Bioware for their "creative math" when calculating sub numbers, yet the haters seem to pull a lot of odd math out of their rectums as well.  Fact is, TOR is obviously in decline, and is definitely hurting.  But 200-300k?  Very doubtful.  And the OP has given us absolutely no evidence to back up his claim.  Doesn't stop him from posting it as a fact, though.  

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

I'm guessing this:

From what I read in that follow up thread, the added content or 'mini expansion' will be available for no charge.

Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

I'm guessing this:

From what I read in that follow up thread, the added content or 'mini expansion' will be available for no charge.

Oh so once again someone throwing BS as fact? Reminds me of the premise of the OP.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by spizz
    Swotor with its game of the year award  is still healthy and attracts a lot of people,  not only new content will be provided soon but devs also thinking about to change the name of the game with the next patch. It will be probably called  Guild Wars 2 or SecretWorldOnline but they cant decide yet.  ...nah seriously, but are all these servers with grey names more or less dead ? What does 1.0 or 0.98 means... I did dread that in the meanwhile on many light servers are only a handfull players left.

That's the Population Index. You let "Low" = 1, "Medium" = 2, "High" = 3 and "Full" = 4. Each hour, you look at the population and see where it is and add the numeric value to the list. It might be something like this:
    Then you add all the numbers up together and divide by 24 to get the Population Index for the server for that day. Our example server would have a Population Index of 1.67.

The site makes no claims on how many people their numbers actually represent, they're just displaying the data that SWToR provides in a long-term graphical manner. If you are looking to pick a server and want one of the busiest ones, then this is the site to use. It's not so great for trying to determine how many players there are and especially bad for determining subs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

The only number EA worries about is subs. The only number players care about is concurrent users. (My sub still runs but I haven't played in months, so I still count against the first but not the latter.) Both are unknowable except to EA.

Personally I'd be surprised if they have dropped below 1 million subs yet.