Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online embraces solo story, traditional MMO format

PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/29/the-elder-scrolls-online-embraces-solo-story-traditional-mmo-fo/

Firor spoke with PC Gamer to elaborate on TESO's format, saying that it was essential to make the story solo in order to establish the player as a hero.

Firor also addressed the team's decision to eschew the skill-based system seen in newer Bethesda titles in favor of returning to systems seen in earlier Elder Scrolls games. "What we had to do to make it an MMO is to kind of evolve over to the multiplayer side and there are some things that come with that," he admitted. "Since we have a PVP component to our game, it's very difficult to make a skill-based game like in Skyrim"

/sigh

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
Playing: Skyrim
Following: The Repopulation
I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Im sooo glad to see more story coming into MMO's. So over the static, and boring old ways that stagnated this market to begin with.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

B2P ?

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    These games are making it real easy to stack up my savings account.
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

"How do you tell every player that they’re the saviour of the world in an MMO?" You don't. Where the hell did this extreme focus personal story and making the player feel like a competly special snowflake come from? All these mmos came out of nowhere.

Story is fine, IMO, has long has the player is just 1 of many, like TSW does it, but, unlike TSW, the story a secondary tool, like a side story of the races. Let me guess, the PC will be voice acted and will spit out lines with a voice i won't recognize and that don't mix twith what i want my character to be like. Hell, GW2 already makes my background for me and everything.

We're already at DA:O levels. Guess in a couple of years it will be DA2, when all characters will the exact same, with pre-set names and "destinies".

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Valentina

Im sooo glad to see more story coming into MMO's. So over the static, and boring old ways that stagnated this market to begin with.

More story and lore is always good.

Personal Story...not so much. At least the way SWTOR and TESO are doing it.

I want to create MY Personal Story. I dont want to have it scripted for me. It then doesnt become "personal" as everyone of that same Class/Race/Faction will have the SAME STORY.

You say you are tired of the same old boring static ways, but TESO is following those same ways.

Classes + Race/Faction Locks + TAB target + 100% Solo 1-Max Level + Instanced/Sharded/Mirrored World

Where is the break from stagnation?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

The Elder Old Republic Scrolls Online? LMAO....

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Ohh man, I really don't like how that sounds. Seems like a single player game once again. We'll see how it goes....

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Ohh man, I really don't like how that sounds. Seems like a single player game once again. We'll see how it goes....

DOA

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by dronfwar
    Originally posted by Kuppa

DOA

You mean DBA....(dead before arrival) ;)

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

They've likely been working on it for just long enough to realize the failings of more recent releases but to far in development to make any serious changes. So..basically..same old shite. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doesn't gw2 do this personal story thing?

Hmmm must be a lame swtor clone then..
    Pirate
    Where are you getting this instanced, shared world thing from?
  • escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Yup Gw2 have Personal story but is optional, you have Dynamic Events and Hearth Quests...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Too bad they didn't started working on this a few years later so they could have implemented "the lessons SWTOR taught us" * into their development plans and strategy.

* "A standard fare themepark formula to milk out a cherrished IP will end up blowing up in your face"  for one.

Really hoping the negative reactions across the web will make them rethink their plans.

Either make it more open, rp friendly and sandboxy or do what a poster on PC Gamer wrote:

1: Scratch MMO

2: Release singleplayer game with *optional* multiplayer co-op.

3: Profit.

I think the worst part of TES's implementation is that you can't invite anyone else, so its literally a single player experience.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/29/the-elder-scrolls-online-embraces-solo-story-traditional-mmo-fo/

Firor spoke with PC Gamer to elaborate on TESO's format, saying that it was essential to make the story solo in order to establish the player as a hero.

Firor also addressed the team's decision to eschew the skill-based system seen in newer Bethesda titles in favor of returning to systems seen in earlier Elder Scrolls games. "What we had to do to make it an MMO is to kind of evolve over to the multiplayer side and there are some things that come with that," he admitted. "Since we have a PVP component to our game, it's very difficult to make a skill-based game like in Skyrim"

/sigh

Right, because games like UO and AC had terrible PvP...

/sarcasm (for that couldn't tell)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Pirate
    Where are you getting this instanced, shared world thing from?

"Firor said that the core of the game will be played alone: "The way we do that in Elder Scrolls Online is there are parts of the game that you just do solo and you just do in a story instance. So the main backbone story of the game, which is your interaction with Molag Bal, one of the Daedric princes, you're the hero in that story, so you experience that only yourself."

There has been mention of instancing a few other times in other articles as well

Sounds like gw2 personal story
    Also I've not seen any mention anywhere of them having a highly instanced sharded world (e.g. Swtor)
    Sounds like gw2 personal story

You do know that other players can join you in your personal story? That is not possible, by the sound of it in TESO.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Sounds very promising.  If they can do the story aspect as well as TOR (the gold standard of RPG story in MMOs) did, while making the non-story elements fun as well (something BioWare has unfortunately never been good at) then we could have a real contender on our hands.  Hopefully they won't go after a sub model though, too many people are waking up to the fact that a monthly subscription is a ripoff no matter how good a game is.  Almost all of the people who haven't realized that are dedicated WoW junkies, and thus unlikely to leave there for any game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Valentina

story is static.

• Warlord33Warlord33 Member Posts: 79
    "Since we have a PVP component to our game, it's very difficult to make a skill-based game like in Skyrim"

What? Am I missing something here?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

No No and no! It is not Elder Scrolls with Elder Scroll Graphic and there will be no  Elder Scroll combat. Do the same things as in Skyrim only  as mmo and that  would be Elder Scrolls. IT IS ABOMINATION OF ELDER SCROLLS---shame on you you lazy developers! You want to destroy one of best rpg saga with that crappy copy.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Warlord33
    "Since we have a PVP component to our game, it's very difficult to make a skill-based game like in Skyrim"

What? Am I missing something here?

I think what people are missing is what he's not coming out and directly saying.

It's not that they can't make a pvp system based upon a player' skill but that in such a game there will be peopel who just can't compete. Not everyone is good at twitch based combat. You put in twitch based combat and you narrow your players.

They have opted for the tab targetting because more players know and are comfortable with this sytstem.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo