Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something different

UnfarshUnfarsh Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm brand new to the MMO gaming scene. I'm an old fan of the stand alone RPGs series such as Wizardry, Ultima and Might & Magic.  The aspect I liked most about these games was the intriguing story. Ultima stood out from the rest as consistently having the best graphics, audio, story, role-playing elements and interactivity with the world. 

Since Ultima died, I have not really found an RPG I liked.  I haven't tried them all but most of them are just not up to snuff. Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, all this stuff is okay but definetly lacking in quality of story. 

Is there any recommendations for MMOs that might suit me? I want something that is not combat-based, where there is genuine interactivity, freedom and some kind of plot, not just some bullshit clickfest quests.

So far,I have tried LOTR and Conan a bit. They all look like clones of one another.  Most people on there are not interested in any sort of role-playing. They are just mindlessly XP building or hanging out with friends like chat room.  A good game makes you grow as human being. I still think about Ultima and what it means to me in real life.  These MMO are seriously sad.  Their stories just are not as indepth as the old, text-based MUDs. This makes any role-playing aspect to the games also lacking, since most people will not get into a story that doesn't exist.  UO is still there but is it still the cutting edge of role-playing?

Anybody recommend anything? Graphics are irrelevent to good story, script and interactivity.

Cheers,

Unfarsh

Comments

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Hi friend

What I can tell you, I had a phase like like yours, tried to find a real RPG mmo... but I couldn't. Not because of the game itself, but because of the players. MMO players doesn't care to roleplaying the character or anything like that, they really just like grinding, leveling, getting new gear etc.

I like PVP a lot but thats not what you are looking for.

sheers

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

your best bet is to find or start a roleplaying guild -- in whatever mmo you find fun

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Sadly, you are looking for SWG Pre-CU.

No other game will ever come close to what you are looking for.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

You can research www.mortalonline.com

Ive been playing for the last 2yrs. No quests, no quick travel, all skill based.  Basically the devs are trying to make a modern-UO.

Seek out an RP guild. And I would recommend doing the trial first after the next expansion hits which could be anytime soon. Oh, and as far as story is concerned... Its sandbox, so make your own story.

For me its easier to roleplay and include more people when there is no pre-written story. When someone throws down an encyclopedia of lore in front of you it kind of takes away the discovery, exploration, research, and open-endedness that can make for a good roleplay environment. Thats just me though.  On the other hand, Ive seen RP guilds do just fine even in some of the most themeparkish-themeparks.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by kb056

Sadly, you are looking for SWG Pre-CU.

No other game will ever come close to what you are looking for.

coming from UO swg was a disapointment for me, l quit before CU launched. But on reflection now it was certainly one of the better mmos i have played. but UO MO and EVE are better imo

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I'm playing an Arma 2 Mod right now called TCG Island Life. It is a modern day sandbox in the style of GTA. Sadly a FPS game has given me a more impressive sandbox experience than any MMO I have tried before. Let's just all hold our breath till Arma 3.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I'm playing an Arma 2 Mod right now called TCG Island Life. It is a modern day sandbox in the style of GTA. Sadly a FPS game has given me a more impressive sandbox experience than any MMO I have tried before. Let's just all hold our breath till Arma 3.

i played some arma2 mod that was similar gta style, wasnt bad but i thoguht dayz was much much better. Only problem is the rpg servers are run by amatuers who throw the rattle out the pram when things dont go your way and bans are dished out on a regular occurance for practically nothing.

Originally posted by deathshroud

i played some arma2 mod that was similar gta style, wasnt bad but i thoguht dayz was much much better. Only problem is the rpg servers are run by amatuers who throw the rattle out the pram when things dont go your way and bans are dished out on a regular occurance for practically nothing.

This one seems to be ran the same way sadly. It's not as bad as most. The TCG guys all seem to ge ta free pass to act like idiots though. It's a great game before and after the kiddies come and go. They have put a lot of work into it though the cop cars have working radar and computers.

Originally posted by deathshroud

This one seems to be ran the same way sadly. It's not as bad as most. The TCG guys all seem to ge ta free pass to act like idiots though. It's a great game before and after the kiddies come and go. They have put a lot of work into it though the cop cars have working radar and computers.

well if you get dayz mod for arma2 you should come try out the AQ server for it, awesome game. But another amazing rpg is space station13 which sees you all working together to keep a space station running, problem is the admins act like idiots banning for practically anything. Its a sandbox yet theres so much they odnt let you do.

Ya I played SS13 until I beat an admin and he got mad adn made it so I could only take on the assistant job. I tried DayZ and I keep logging in at night, and it's really hard ot get started then.