Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW Persistent Mini-Dungeon

ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Loved the sound of this, a bit reminiscent of Darkness Falls:

http://www.mmoreviews.com/exclusive-interview-with-eric-flannum-the-lead-game-designer-of-guild-wars-2/

What are your plans for the WvW content of the game in the long run?

One of the coolest things that we’ve added to WvW recently is a persistent mini-dungeon that can be accessed through the three keeps in the center map. This area is designed with multiplayer PvP in mind and players can do things like activate the traps in the mini-dungeon to defeat enemy players. Of course, at the end of the area there’s a chest full of rewards.

Comments

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

yeah, WvW is pretty heavliy copied from DAoC, but no one is complaining.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I'm certainly not, they took the best parts of DAoC PvP in my opinion, improved them, and left out all the bloat.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Thanks for the link valkaern. This sounds really neat.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Here I thought they wouldn't take it this far lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

OMG that sounds so bad ass! 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I wouldn't call 2 week reset and annominity improvements.

You need good enemies as well as good friends.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by needalife214

yeah, WvW is pretty heavliy copied from DAoC, but no one is complaining.

Why would anyone complain? DAoC was/is a classic.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The persistant 3 faction dungeon in WvW sounds like AWESOME fun. I guess you need to hold one of the 3 keeps to be able to access the mini dungeon. I wonder if you can access the other 2 keeps through it, kinda like a secret back door ;) That would be awesome!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Valkaern

I'm certainly not, they took the best parts of DAoC PvP in my opinion, improved them, and left out all the bloat.

I'm very happy about this. I'm glad someone finally did this.

Darkness falls was awesome, and it gave us another reason to keep our keeps. Even when we didnt have darkness falls we who played Midgard would still be in the bottom of the dungeon doing the loop for up to a week sometimes.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by stragen001

The persistant 3 faction dungeon in WvW sounds like AWESOME fun. I guess you need to hold one of the 3 keeps to be able to access the mini dungeon. I wonder if you can access the other 2 keeps through it, kinda like a secret back door ;) That would be awesome!

I hadn't even considered that. I won't hold my breath for it, but it would certainly be very cool assuming you had to overcome a challenging dungeon to unlock secondary access to an important fort location. Fun way to secretly move forces too. Considering the over ground interactions we can already have with different NPC factions (getting the ogres to attack your enemy for example), there's a lot of room there for fun mechanics.

I hope they expand on PvP dungeons a bit (not that I have any idea how extensive they'll be at launch), I've always loved tighter in-door battles just as much as the giant sprawling outdoor ones. A variety of different battle scenarios is always good.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It's funny that even since DAoC players have been screaming for YEARS to have something like Darkness Falls in a game yet developers making proven failures in the way of large 2 faction pvp maps.

Amazing when a developer actually listens to the playerbase who actually know what they like.

You stay sassy!

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Sounds good to me. Love the trap part.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Sounds good to me. Love the trap part.

Ditto...

Once again ANet is adding an element to the game which many players have been looking for. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Whiney pveers happened that's why there hasn't been another darkness falls "your forcing me to do pvp waah waah!" And so forth.
  • KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Whiney pveers happened that's why there hasn't been another darkness falls "your forcing me to do pvp waah waah!" And so forth.

Even pvers will love WvWvW

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Because pvp'rs aren't vocal enough already?

There can be 2 different loot tables just like other mmo's have already done. There was nothing stopping them from making this sort of thing other than laziness.

You stay sassy!

As fun as this could turn out to be, I  also thought it was pretty cool that they're clearly willing to consider a wide variety of concepts - and that they'd be willing to add something like this so close to release.

It was a nice surprise, I'm hoping it's an indication of what we can expect from them past launch. 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2 may indeed save us all. image

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Kidon

Originally posted by ShakyMo Whiney pveers happened that's why there hasn't been another darkness falls "your forcing me to do pvp waah waah!" And so forth.
    Even pvers will love WvWvW

Mass PvP that you can jump in and out of, have a choice of when it happens and not be surprised by it when you don't want it, that definitely appeals to me as a primary PvE player. It's good not having to be excluded from mass PvP content because I choose to primarily play in PvE. It's the non consensual part that puts me off from either having to roll on a PvP server or have my content restricted to a great degree (Aion). Small team battlegrounds aren't attractive to me as a primary PvE player either, no one likes to let the team down and if you're not used to PvP and haven't honed your reactions and got the skill/gear set needed you're opening yourself up for a whole world of pain and probably abuse from your team mates :) WvW looks to me like a great opportunity to cut your teeth in PvP, I'm sure I'm not the only PvE player who is going to have loads of fun in this. The added dungeon is a great way to get a wider audience in to the map too, especially if there are unique skins to be had.

Spoiler Alert! Here's another reason for PvE players to jump in to the WvW map

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

You know what I REALLY liked about this interview? The fact that he refused to talk details on things not ready yet. No big promises, just the facts of things that are already to roll out. It is refreshing.

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by Kidon

The added dungeon is a great way to get a wider audience in to the map too, especially if there are unique skins to be had.

Here's another reason for PvE players to jump in to the WvW map

They certainly seem intent on fleshing out the WvW maps a bit more if they're also adding in skill challenges as they seem to be. I loved what I saw in WvW, although I'll probably mostly level in PvE, I'm sure I'll eventually spend a ton of time in WvW. It was very easy to take part in some activity that felt it was directly related to advancing our teams control of the map, but I personally wouldn't mind if I had other reasons to go there.

I don't know how far they could go without forcing PvErs feel like they had to go there or miss out, but I wouldn't mind personally if I found a lot of reasons to visit the mists beyond directly taking part in the conflict (checking out the jumping puzzle, checking out the dungeon, potentially hunting for a rare skin only available in the mists etc.).

I'm curious how far they'll take it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Good interview!

I definitely expect that WvW will continue to evolve after launch as the rest of the game evolves as well. Arenanet have hinted that the current situation where all three borderland maps are the same may change after release. If the mini-dungeon they mentioned proves popular, the WvW zones are definitely large enough to support the addition of more mini-dungeons and other PvE/PvP content.

I also appreciate that they won't talk about things that aren't finished and always maintain the stance that "finished" content can change based on feeback and testing.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

So, essentially if a World controls all three of the main keeps in the Eternal Battleground, then that means that the other Worlds have no access to the dungeon? If so, that's sweet.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

This is awesome, im glad there is more than one reason to keep the keeps,

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

this will be in rift next patch lol.