Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List DayZ on MMORPG.com?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Can I get a hellllllllll ya!

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Just put whatever you want on the site and stop patronizing people.  You've got D3 on here ffs, so it's open season at this point.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

So can we get a Minecraft on here too?

Because if DayZ is deserving of the MMORPG attention, Minecraft sure as hell is too.

Also notchs new game 0×10.

Or Miner Wars.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by AdamTM
    So can we get a Minecraft on here too?Because if DayZ is deserving of the MMORPG attention, Minecraft sure as hell is too.Also notchs new game 0

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

I know I'm late to the game on this subject but I'm really glad you guys are expanding the horizons on this site.  I know there is a group of people here who only want MMORPG's listed, hence the name of the site. It's just good to see that the staff is adding games (or in this case a mod) that might fit the bill for good multiplayer fun.  I don't need MMO attached to my game as long as there is a thriving community to play against and along side with.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i have posted this similar suggestion on the DayZ thread(s)

but if MMORPG is going to continue down this trend of "mod" mmos can we please get a sub catagory for it?? listing its a F2P when its a mod that requires you to buy 1+ other games to run it, does not make it F2P.. and is also false advertising. 

perhaps a MOD game catagory for game/mods like DayZ that require other programs to run it, similar to mods in minecraft require minecraft to use them. i have no problem with this and other products being reviewed/posted on the site. but i would like it to be clearly defined that the program while Free to download requires X game/program to acess it. 

granted people should research programs before commiting to them, i would rather not get excited for a program, and go to search it out only to find out i have to spend 100 bucks on some other game to use it.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Dayz your dropped in  a OPEN zoneless huge world and give you right away from the start a feeling of mmo world.

On top of that it screams EXPLORING same asin mmo's.

It save your progress so you can jumpin where you left off.

But limited players 50 avarage in whole world 250 square KM map and no quests or build up character for starts or any armor, collecting stuff to survive is your main goal build little things also.

Game have to my surrpirse also Castles land inwards to explore awesome:)

Survial to extreme with permadeath.

Thats DAYZ but as mmo fan im love this game as if im playing a sandbox mmo only dont need to bother with lvls quests or stats/gear.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by Kilrane

... It's just good to see that the staff is adding games (or in this case a mod) that might fit the bill for good multiplayer fun. ...

I like "good multiplayer fun" too although what I find "fun" someone else might find "boring".

Anyway, if this site would list any game or mod that provides "good multiplayer fun" to someone they're probably looking at adding another 1.000 to 1.500 games/mods to the list.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Good news folks! We've gone ahead and added DayZ to the list!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I think they need to stop listing non-MMOs on the site or make another branch of the site for these games.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If the company who writes Arma II wrote a version of the game that was DayZ instead of it being a mod, I'd say yes. They should do this anyway, but whatever. There seems to be lots of interest in it.

** edit **
    I wouldn't cry if it was listed, but there would need to be a very clear explanation as to what it is and why downloading the file doesn't work when you don't have Arma II:CO.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by MikeB

Great News!  If this site is going to include MMOGs,  MMOFPS, and CORPGs, then why not?

Thanks MMORPG.com!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

mmorpg.com more and more developes into a general gaming site. I doubt we will ever find a general consensus what is an MMO and what not.

I don't know if it is possible, but could we get a feature like "ignore game" ? So we don't see any news/threads about those ? That would do the job for me.

E.g. Diablo3, there are so many threads about that game. And it is not even an MMO. Just as an example. Has nothing to do whether I think D3 is good or bad. But I am visiting this page for MMO news.

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

I'm voting no simply because it isn't an MMORPG (let alone an MMO). If big maps are all it takes to be an MMO then let's add Project Reality for BF2 with 64km maps. Heck, the average ammount of players on that map are 64 and it can get into the hundreds I believe. 

Actually, let's add ARMA 2 and every multiplayer mod for that game. This map wasn't designed for the mod. It's the vanilla map from ARMA II's Operation Arrowhead and you can play it in multiplayer with just as many players (I believe). So let's add it! Yeah!

But let's be honest here.. you've already added games like Diablo III, League of Legends, World of Tanks.. so I guess why not? 

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

Originally posted by Anthur

mmorpg.com more and more developes into a general gaming site. I doubt we will ever find a general consensus what is an MMO and what not.

I don't know if it is possible, but could we get a feature like "ignore game" ? So we don't see any news/threads about those ? That would do the job for me. ...

Good point, I'd like that too.

Frankly, I've stopped reading anything but the forums on this site. I'm not interested in LoL, FPS games, MOBAs, DOTAs, ARPGs or whatever they're called. Maybe we need an MMORPG forum, now that would be a nice idea. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Is it an MMORPG......no

Should it be listed?   I don't see why not. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Yes

If something like D3 counts then I see no reason why DayZ shouldn't. Exhibits a lot of mmorpg elemnts anyways and it is rather clear many mmo players are using it as their mmo fix and wish to discuss it.

EDIT: Oops guess I should have read a little further and saw that they did haha

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

If the game appeals to MMO players witch DayZ does I see no reason not to put it on the site. Same goes for Diablo3, League of Legends etc. They all appeal to MMO players.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by MikeB

Good job, man! The MMO scene is so breathtakingly stagnant these days that anything which could influence some innovation and direction to it should be embraced.

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

If DayZ deserves a spot then, as previously stated, where is the listing for Minecraft?

For that matter, where are the absolute slew of other qualifying games that have been passed over in favor of things like DayZ and Storybricks (honestly, this one irks me more)?

I'm referencing games such as Super Monday Night Combat, GhostX, Hunter Blade, CosmicBreak or GetAmped 2. ASTA: The War of Tears and Wind, Kingdom Under Fire Online: Aeon of Strife, Red Blood Online, Legend of Blood, Ghosts 'n Goblins Online, Soul Cry... and on... and on...

Sure, some of them have been cancelled, others are region-locked, many feature only minor RPG-elements, yet if DayZ qualifies, among others, than why draw the line at that?

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

When playing this game do you have to purchase Arma 2 and is the mod free? Not sure how it works but I want to get in on this action!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by ForTheCity

When playing this game do you have to purchase Arma 2 and is the mod free? Not sure how it works but I want to get in on this action!

You need arma 2 :OA. Thats around 30 bucks, then get the mod(its free).

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by ForTheCity

You need arma 2 :OA. Thats around 30 bucks, then get the mod(its free).

You can actually use the free version of ArmA 2, Then get ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead off Steam for $19.99 and then get the mod for free from DayZmod.com. This is the cheapest way to play DayZ that I know of. The only drawback of using the free version of ArmA 2 as the base game is you won't have the high rez textures. The game is completely playable and looks decent even using the normal textures however. If you want the higher rez textures you'll have to get the paid versions of both games. On Steam it's called ArmA 2: Combined Operations and it's $29.99. If you want the very high rez character and vehicle models you also need the DLC for ArmA 2: OA, ArmA 2: Private Military Company which is $9.99 on steam.

To break it down you can get a decent looking version for 20 bucks, a very good looking version for 30 bucks or an amazing looking version for 40 bucks. Basically how good the game looks depends on how much money you want to shell out.

Edit: Just for clarification... When you buy Operation Arrowhead you do get the higher rez textures for the map and campaign that comes with that game but because DayZ uses the map from the base game of ArmA 2 as well as the added game mechanics from OA you get stuck with the free version world textures without paying for ArmA 2 as well. The game is still playable but to get the higher rez world textures you need to pay for both.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Why not have DayZ listed in MMORPG.com?  Freaking Diablo 3 and its barely more than a handful group size for "multiplayer" gets warranted to be listed on this site.  Oh, I see how it works.  Since DayZ is a mod, the creator didn't fork out good money.  I get it now.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Warmaker

Why not have DayZ listed in MMORPG.com?  Freaking Diablo 3 and its barely more than a handful group size for "multiplayer" gets warranted to be listed on this site.  Oh, I see how it works.  Since DayZ is a mod, the creator didn't fork out good money.  I get it now.

And now get that foot out of your mouth.

It's already on the list. You're quite late to the party.