Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is PVP in this game?

Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

I am thinking of trying this out or Tera. I want to roll a rogue and am wondering if this class is viable in PVP.  I was a hunter in WoW and don't want to pay a monthly fee to be the designated target dummy class or deal with Ghostcrawlerish developer cluelessness again. If you are a WoW vet how does PVP in this game compare to WoW?

Comments

• DobahDobah Member Posts: 8

I'm going to be honest, atm WoW beats RIFT in PvP. The differnce in the devs know this and they are working hard on fixing this in the next patch. Rogues do very good in PvP. Only class that is really having a tough time right now is Cleric. 

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Rift PvP is gear based. There have been class balance issues since the game released. I did 2v2 and lots of BGs in WoW and prefer WoW's PvP to Rift.

You can play Rift for free to level 20 and PvP as early as 10. Just be sure to level lock at 19 or else you'll be 20 in the 20-29 bracket. Every now and then you'll find yourself being rolled by twinks... same thing happens when you hit 50 except instead of being twinks they've spent months grinding gear.

• SlavojZizekSlavojZizek Member Posts: 50

PvP is Rift is very poor, uninspiring and clunky, compared to the great classic PVP (RvR) of Dark Age of Camelot. Most hard core PvPers have left Rift.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Roll warrior make a macro and win,this is the pvp in rift.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

One sided if I remember. XD Blues always lost to reds on my server. Haven't played for a year mind you, so could be different now. But expect alot of grief from the enemy when in open world pvp. image

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Rift PvP is gear based. There have been class balance issues since the game released. I did 2v2 and lots of BGs in WoW and prefer WoW's PvP to Rift.

You can play Rift for free to level 20 and PvP as early as 10. Just be sure to level lock at 19 or else you'll be 20 in the 20-29 bracket. Every now and then you'll find yourself being rolled by twinks... same thing happens when you hit 50 except instead of being twinks they've spent months grinding gear.

not really the case at 50 since the pvp revamp back in january

http://rift.zam.com/forum.html?forum=222&mid=1326248117236639412&h=50

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

imho from someone who has played both of your games you are considering OP.

for PVP tera is better

for PVE rift is better

for soloing rift and tera both good

for groups tera is super fun

for raids... there arent any raids in tera so rift is better

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• shi7anshi7an Member UncommonPosts: 14

Honestly I stopped playing because of the pvp

The skills animations are horrible. You see your life going down outta nowhere and when you realize there are two archers in the back rappin you it's too late.. my point is you can barely see their arrows/skills it makes the pvp chaotic you get hit but dont even know from where.

also another reason I stopped is macros... people hit "1" on their keyboard and the game does a 20 skill combo for them automatically. it's so stupid.. it's like playing against robots whoever has the best robot win

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by shi7an

Honestly I stopped playing because of the pvp

The skills animations are horrible. You see your life going down outta nowhere and when you realize there are two archers in the back rappin you it's too late.. my point is you can barely see their arrows/skills it makes the pvp chaotic you get hit but dont even know from where.

also another reason I stopped is macros... people hit "1" on their keyboard and the game does a 20 skill combo for them automatically. it's so stupid.. it's like playing against robots whoever has the best robot win

I stopped playing because of PvP as well on this one. The grind is just unreal at 50, and as someone who enjoys being an altoholic it just makes the game unplayable. The first one to R8 was ok, a chore, but ok. The second one never got past R5, the third R3, and I quit before R2 on the fourth. 

I'm not sure the new Open WOrld sliver PvP will help much on this one if the grind to PvP ranked gear stays as it is. If your under top rank, you are nothing but food the second you walk on the field. You don't have a choice, you can't stop the inevitable, you will get eaten....but that's the only way to grind up in rank, so you just do it. Eventually there will be some food under you that you can eat....if you can find them before you get eaten by those above you in rank. Rank gear means everything in PvP here period.  Everyone in higher gear will kick your ass, everyone below your rank will lose to you, skill really doesn't matter that much....it helps some, but really it doesn't do much on the win/lose part. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

PvP in Rift is just...slow? The super smooth slow animation style of rift just makes it feel so boring coupled with tab targetting. I enjoyed it for a month or so then got quite bored.

As for TERA, the PvP in TERA is only OWPvP at the moment, no rewards, just for fun. I enjoy it more than PvP in any other MMO, even WoW. But im of a select few, most people would much rather battlegrounds, Id like both tbh.

So for now id say play rift, it is really cheap to get into, can buy the game for like 7$ and then the sub fee, TERA will have battlegrounds late summer and thats when you can buy TERA.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by cerebrix
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

not really the case at 50 since the pvp revamp back in january

http://rift.zam.com/forum.html?forum=222&mid=1326248117236639412&h=50

No, actually it is still the case. They did the revamp and then added a PvP PA, the gear ramps up in stats as you grind so you may have a good amount of valor but the rest of your stats are low. Raid trinkets, event items, planar equipment and money to buy a fast mount and consumables will leave you at a disadvantage for a long time.

All the revamp did was prevent literal 1-shots. Noobs still get rolled until they catch up in gear.

• Ares31Ares31 Member Posts: 5

Dont listen to the whiners. They will find ANYTHING to cry about.

Too much of a grind? 

Yeah so we can sit around at end game like in SWTOR and talk about having nothing to do.

ETC....

OP, the pvp is fun as hell...I just resubbed and cant believe how awesome and how far this game has come since launch. Try it you wont be disappointed.

Just make sure you dont listen to all the negativity on these boards. Its truly sad............