Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Patent Will Pause Your Game To Show You Ads

2»

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I wouldn't mind this if it were in a free to play title. Now, if I've actually paid for the software license and my game stops while I'm in the middle of what I'm doing to advertise someone's garbage, I will personally shove the game disc, manual, and/or box up the rectum of the president of the game's publisher.

Hopefully no company is stupid enough to include this in B2P software.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Guys, I'm not for for shielding a company with a horrible reputation from bad press when it's deserved. However, this is a PATENT, and not something they've said they'll start throwing into games. 

Most likely it's something they plan to throw into Planetside 2 for FREE players when they're waiting for a respawn or something like that.

Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, as it physically RIPS the player out of their immersion in a product.

Do I think they'll be stupid enough to use it, and that they're just covering advertising possibility basis? No & Yes.

Not even SONY is stupid enough to put this isn't products that are PAID for. I imagine it's for "Free" based products to generate revenue.

Remember, "Free" is NEVER free!

I have to agree.  These mega corporations are constantly patenting ideas and buying all the patents they can get their grubby hands on, even if they have no intention of ever using them. 

It's probably more about patent trolling, and defending against other patent trolls than a desire to actually piss off their customers in the most intrusive ways they can imagine.