Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google going transparent

AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

And not only just a little.

Techdirt - Google Lifts The Veil On Copyright Takedowns : Reveals Detailed Data On Who Requests Links Removals.

Probably the most interesting bits here :

Perhaps more important, however, is that Google is also revealing the incredible deluge of takedown requests it receives in search, each of which it tries to check to make sure they're legitimate. As it stands now, Google is processing over 250,000 such requests per week -- which is more than they got in the entire year of 2009. For all of 2011, Google receive 3.3 million copyright takedowns for search... and here we are in just May of 2012, and they're already processing over 1.2 million per month. And while we've heard reports from the usual Google haters that Google is slow to respond to takedowns, it says that its average turnaround time last week was 11 hours. Think about that for a second. It's reviewing each one of these takedowns, getting 250,000 per week... and can still process them in less than 12 hours. That's pretty impressive.

The data shows the amount of takedown requests specific companies sent as well as their targets. Surprisingly, Microsoft comes first with 2.5 millions takedown requests. Followed by NBC Universal and RIAA (900k and 400k respectively). Really glad to see Google going transparent about those things since it gives a pretty good insight on what goes behind the scene.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see how many takedown requests have been made towards MMORPG.com (you can find it here ). Surprisingly there's only been 1 request made towards MMORPG.com by Waves Audio Ltd. Why? I have no clue, but still.

And for those who own a domain, here's the link to see your domain's "profile" (replace the end with your domain name) http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/domains/yourdomain.com/

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Geez it's like an entire industry centered on takedown requests. Imagine how many people ate getting paid just to deal with or issue takedowns.

I wonder at what point it becomes more expensive than it's worth.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by dubyahite

I wonder at what point it becomes more expensive than it's worth.

Probably already is.  Since piracy actually seems to be helping sales (at least according to one of the latest study on piracy), the money they spend on these companies to send takedown notices is probably quite ridiculous, and their impact practically meaningless from what I can tell by looking at the domains being targetted.