Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamedesingner

Hey, i want to be a gamedesingner but don´t  know if i can make a living on it. Im not looking for to be a "Big gamedesingner" for Blizzard or something like that ( but i would not be bad) So my question is can i make a living on it? Or do i have to have a 2nd job like programmer? 

Sorry for bad english

Graphics:Gtx 560
memory:8gb
processor: intel core i5 3,3ghz
Hdd: 1tb

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

First step would be making sure you can spell the title of the job you are looking for.

Second step would be to either get a degree in something contingent (art, code, business, etc), or learn to do it youself from the ground up.

Third step is working for yourself or someone else for as long as it takes to be given notice. Most people in-house will never be top dawg, ever, but if you work for yourself you can call yourself whatever the f**k you want.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Why would you want to be a game designer?

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Anyone can be a game designer. The skill is in the programming, animation, sound, art and to a lesser extent lore.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• wilhelmblomwilhelmblom Member Posts: 30

Oops, in swedish game desingner is one word.

• wilhelmblomwilhelmblom Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by anemo

Games is my passion, and im good at math and i got many ideas.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Originally posted by wilhelmblom
    Originally posted by anemo

Games is my passion, and im good at math and i got many ideas.

Game designer is not about designing games.    

The lead game designer really won't even have that much choice over mechanics of a game.  When all is said and done you 'might' get to choose some direction for when everything starts, but after such you're spending MUCH MUCH MORE time adapting to what your team/engine/deadline/target-goals/finances are capable of.   Then for ideas you're then going to rather be taking input from your team rather than yourself and adapting everything to one coherent whole.

A good game designer can make an outstanding game with tagboard and string:

Rock Paper Scissors interesting:

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."