Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hack and Slash or Run Away?

castamir11castamir11 Member Posts: 45

In this game, can any class stand toe-to-toe with enemies at higher difficulties?  Or is it like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything for fear of taking ridiculous damage?

Thanks!

Comments

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by castamir11

In this game, can any class stand toe-to-toe with enemies at higher difficulties?  Or is it like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything for fear of taking ridiculous damage?

Thanks!

I haven't seen 'higher difficulties' in Torchlight 2 because the beta stops you pretty early on, but I've already had to kite a couple boss mobs at lower levels because they would have easily killed me otherwise. So it stands to reason that higher difficulties would be the same or harder.

I also have only been playing the outlander (ranged dps) class so far, so kiting is kind of a given for the role. On the other hand, I've had no problem jumping in to the thick of things in Diablo 3 with my monk, halfway through nightmare difficulty now. So I have to disagree with your "like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything". You don't, so I don't know what you are basing that on.

I'm actually going to jump in to Torchlight 2 and try a melee class today so I can probably give a better comparison of melee T2 vs. melee D3 a bit later.

Stopping for lunch so these are my thoughts so far at level 15 with a berserker. It feels like the basic tactics are the same between the D3 monk and the T2 berserker, or at least that's how I play both. YMMV of course depending on builds and lucky drops. I am playing both characters with passive-heavy specs and focusing on one single target and one aoe skill for attacks. I'm getting plenty of nice drops too at a good pace with my leveling.

You're still going to have to back out to heal or move out of aoe attacks on the occasional hard-hitting mob, but I haven't had to kite anything yet in either game with the D3 monk or T2 berserker. I'm almost always in melee range, completely opposite from how I play my demon hunter and outlander kiting everything around the map like a train driver on crack..

• castamir11castamir11 Member Posts: 45

On the other hand, I've had no problem jumping in to the thick of things in Diablo 3 with my monk, halfway through nightmare difficulty now. So I have to disagree with your "like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything". You don't, so I don't know what you are basing that on.

Wait til you ge to Hell...

On the other hand, I've had no problem jumping in to the thick of things in Diablo 3 with my monk, halfway through nightmare difficulty now. So I have to disagree with your "like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything". You don't, so I don't know what you are basing that on.

Wait til you ge to Hell...

Sorry, I missed the part about ".. at higher difficulties?". Blaming it on a headache, but that rules me out. image

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

In this game, can any class stand toe-to-toe with enemies at higher difficulties?  Or is it like Diablo 3 where you have to kite everything for fear of taking ridiculous damage? Thanks!

The combat requires you to move around. Not so much at starter enemies(even though first bosses already have things like charge attacks that take away half your health or more and thats not even at highest difficulty).

The latter part of Act I that is available in the beta introduces more difficulty stuff - most of enemy mages have aoe attacks you have to run away from(some of which can insta-kill you on Veteran).

Finished the final available Act I dungeon with five other people yesterday and it was basically...well, hell. Monsters that spam projectiles, summoners, things that drain your mana or slow you, things that throw bombs at you, things that evade your attacks by teleporting, etc. So yeah you HAVE to run around and have some actual tactics in the fight.

You have to use all the advantages you have (for example if you built a hammer-wielding character, you can deflect projectiles with your hammer attack) and play smart.

And then you get the final boss of that area...let's just say that unless you have top-notch teamwork or are VERY good player you will have to run away AND will die....A LOT.

Its certainly harder than Diablo3 and way less forgiving. And thats on Veteran. From what I heart, Elite is even more ridiculously hard.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i had to run away rarely. i played a melee class  built it pretty damn good. only had to run when i was taking on to many enemies for me to handle. ex: mobs that summon and summon A LOT.  Most bosses i can tank. there was one that was a pain and i did have to run every few hits, thats about it.

on side note, after playing the beta weekend of diablo 3 and torchlight II, i know where my money is going. no error 37 for me :)