Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 looks like a cross between HALO and BATTLEFIELD

2»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by NasherUK

It will be nothing like Halo or battlefield.  Planetside's roots go way back to Tribes (which was long before halo or battlefield) and is a far superior FPS to

I don't know about that.. I played Planetside from the start (johari server ftw) and have watched almost ever video of Planetside 2's game play..

And im getting the impression that the PS2 will be more like Battlefield then PS.... Let me explain..

1. The class system... This crap was not in Planetside.. But it was in Battlefield, Battlefield Hero's, Team fortress ect... Myself and many vets do not like it... I don't know about you but I hate having to the need to be healed by FPS healers... In Planetside if I wanted to heal my self I would go hide somewhere pull out my freaking med repair and repair Tool and heal and repair myself then get back into battle.  In Planetside 2 I have to find a terminal and swap out to a engy or CM or spam "I need heals" emotes..

2.  The TTK..  This is a major factor in any FPS.. I think Planetside had it right as did Counter Strike... But from the videos I have seen so far of Planetside 2, the TTK is way to quick... It's more like COD where a guy or even vehicles seem to go down in a few hits..  Alot of people over at Planetside Universe have been complaining about this very thing.. Hopefully the devs listen, or maybe it's going to take them letting a few elite outfits like Delta Triad, Enforcers, or GOTR in Beta and see how easy they mow people down and dominate others for them to change it back to what it needs to be.  Either way it needs to be addressed.

3. The option that allows you to buy your weapons ala Battlefield Heros.... I know they said that ever weapon could be earned in game, but I just don't like the fact that you can purchase all weapons in game as well..  Why would a guys spend a week trying to get a weapon when he can just buy the thing... Kinda lame if you ask me.. Now I know they have to make their money since its FTP, but it just kinda sucks that I will be more then likely spending a few days trying to get enough ingame cash to get a weapon when some other guys can get it in a couple of mins with their CC.  I rather spend my money on comestic things. 

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would rather pay a sub and have a level playing field. This "free" to play thing is a dangerous thing, it makes devs spend a good proportion of their time thinking of ways to "moneytize" the game. It leads to design for reasons other than game quality.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

PS1 was out even before there was an Xbox console, so how exactly can it be a copy of Halo? The theme of Planetside was around before Halo was even twinkle in the developers eye.

It's a shame Matt Higby has a love afair with the crap flow of today's Mc Donalds of online fps games and is trying to shove that into  the Planetside IP. Though the betas will be a wake up call for Matt when the players demand the cod and bf3 crap be removed and the dev stick to the roots of  Planetside a lot more. I bet the jump around base pads will be in the top 5 of the has to go nonsense in closed beta. followed by the moans how everybody is a light class with jetpack leaping about when on foot.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Originally posted by Bobalue

After looking at the video TB posted I  think this game looks a lot like a good cross between Halo and Battlefield just with WAY more people! Love the new jump pads too.

You don't know Planetside much friend. I'd dare say Halo stole alot of its concepts from Planetside..

And BF3 is no where near the scale that Planetside is on..

Halo came before Planetside. Just saying.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Tinybina

It will be nothing like Halo or battlefield.  Planetside's roots go way back to Tribes (which was long before halo or battlefield) and is a far superior FPS to

I don't know about that.. I played Planetside from the start (johari server ftw) and have watched almost ever video of Planetside 2's game play..

And im getting the impression that the PS2 will be more like Battlefield then PS.... Let me explain..

1. The class system... This crap was not in Planetside.. But it was in Battlefield, Battlefield Hero's, Team fortress ect... Myself and many vets do not like it... I don't know about you but I hate having to the need to be healed by FPS healers... In Planetside if I wanted to heal my self I would go hide somewhere pull out my freaking med repair and repair Tool and heal and repair myself then get back into battle.  In Planetside 2 I have to find a terminal and swap out to a engy or CM or spam "I need heals" emotes..

2.  The TTK..  This is a major factor in any FPS.. I think Planetside had it right as did Counter Strike... But from the videos I have seen so far of Planetside 2, the TTK is way to quick... It's more like COD where a guy or even vehicles seem to go down in a few hits..  Alot of people over at Planetside Universe have been complaining about this very thing.. Hopefully the devs listen, or maybe it's going to take them letting a few elite outfits like Delta Triad, Enforcers, or GOTR in Beta and see how easy they mow people down and dominate others for them to change it back to what it needs to be.  Either way it needs to be addressed.

3. The option that allows you to buy your weapons ala Battlefield Heros.... I know they said that ever weapon could be earned in game, but I just don't like the fact that you can purchase all weapons in game as well..  Why would a guys spend a week trying to get a weapon when he can just buy the thing... Kinda lame if you ask me.. Now I know they have to make their money since its FTP, but it just kinda sucks that I will be more then likely spending a few days trying to get enough ingame cash to get a weapon when some other guys can get it in a couple of mins with their CC.  I rather spend my money on comestic things. 

First time I hear about that, all interviews I saw said cosmetic stuff and xp buffers, not buying actual weapons. Where did you get this info from?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Looking forward to this title

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

First time I hear about that, all interviews I saw said cosmetic stuff and xp buffers, not buying actual weapons. Where did you get this info from.

in one of the TotalBiscuit planetside video's (I believe the one with Mat Higby) you can see one of them going over the for lack of the exact phrase (gear shops).. In it this person gives the little spill about how all weapons can be attained ingame and only cosmetic stuff will be availible for purchase with SC (Sony Cash)..

However when he is scrolling over the wpns you can clearly see that each weapon has two ways to buy it.. The first way is realy expensive and that is the ingame currency you get for playing and doing things... Most of the weapons were like 40000 right under that were other amounts (amount differed with each wpn) and they had a SC (Sony Cash) prices..

So yes every wpn can be attained in game, what they are failing to talk about is that how ever wpn can also be purchased online....

Im on a crappy connection right now or else i would post the video and the time frame. I believe its the one with him and Matt Higby, but im not certain.

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

First time I hear about that, all interviews I saw said cosmetic stuff and xp buffers, not buying actual weapons. Where did you get this info from?

in one of the TotalBiscuit planetside video's (I blieve the one with Mat Higby) you can see one of them going over the for lack of the exact phrase (gear shops).. In it this person gives the little spill about how all weapons can be attained ingame and only cosmetic stuff will be availible for purchase with SC (Sony Cash)..

However when he is scrolling over the wpns you can clearly see that each weapon has two ways to buy it.. The first way is realy expensive and that is the ingame currency you get for playing and doing things... Most of the weapons were like 40000 right under that were other amouts (wpn specific) and they had a SC right next to them...

So yes every wpn can be attained in game, what they are failing to talk about is that how ever wpn can also be purchased online....

im on a crappy connection right now or else i would post the video and the time frame. I believe its the one with him and Matt Higby, but im not certain.

Ye, between the time I asked you and now, I saw an interview someone posted where they confirmed what you are saying. I would have prefered them to only be attainable with in game currency. Hope they're not so hard to get that it's unresonable to want to do in through in game means. If the game is fun, I can overlook it, even tho I am not that happy with it. Not happy not necesarily because you can buy weapons for SC too, but because they might make it a pain to get with game currency.

For example I do like Tribes Ascend, but the cost of a weapon unlock with XP compared to doing it with gold is too big.

in one of the TotalBiscuit planetside video's (I blieve the one with Mat Higby) you can see one of them going over the for lack of the exact phrase (gear shops).. In it this person gives the little spill about how all weapons can be attained ingame and only cosmetic stuff will be availible for purchase with SC (Sony Cash)..

However when he is scrolling over the wpns you can clearly see that each weapon has two ways to buy it.. The first way is realy expensive and that is the ingame currency you get for playing and doing things... Most of the weapons were like 40000 right under that were other amouts (wpn specific) and they had a SC right next to them...

im on a crappy connection right now or else i would post the video and the time frame. I believe its the one with him and Matt Higby, but im not certain.

Ye, between the time I asked you and now, I saw an interview someone posted where they confirmed what you are saying. I would have prefered them to only be attainable with in game currency. Hope they're not so hard to get that it's unresonable to want to do in through in game means. If the game is fun, I can overlook it, even tho I am not that happy with it. Not happy not necesarily because you can buy weapons for SC too, but because they might make it a pain to get with game currency.

For example I do like Tribes Ascend, but the cost of a weapon unlock with XP compared to doing it with gold is too big.

Completly understand what your saying...   Im not exactly a SOE fanboi, kinda jaded as a matter of fact.. While I do love PS there are some things about this version of my beloved game that I am not feeling one bit... And this just happens to be one of them.

I still want to play it and will, I just wish they would have made it more like the orginal game and less like all the other FPS games on the market..