Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm - Come Play The Best Sandbox

124»

Comments

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

I have played them both, and to compare Xysons crafting to Wurms crafting. wurm is just way way better. Yes its a click fest, set up a macro sheesh. Bu the sheer amount you can craft compared to Xyson is crazzy.

You can fricken breed animals how cool is that?

Now Where Xyson excels is the animations and graphics. But honestly thats about as far as it goes.

There are so many abandoned areas in wurm, its fairly easy to set up and normaly find everything you need to get started. Just explore.

While i enjoyed xyson for the few months i spent there the crafting in Wurm is so much better.

If your looking for instant grattification neither of these games is gonna work for you. Both of these games are true sandboxes and you will work your ass off for what you have. There is a great feeling of accomplishment when you can finally craft your first little boat and can go off shore to fish. ( just becareful or the big shark will knock you out of the that little boat.)

Both games now have a free trial so i suggest trying them both fo at least a full week and make up your own mind. dont take it for what everyone has said on here.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    But why cant they add some simple animations?
  • EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by mCalvert

The game has come a long way in the sense of animations since I started playing 3.5 years ago.  There are tons of simple animations in Wurm, even without considering the upcoming changes to characters and the new creature models that have been creeping into the game over the last few months.  Progression and improvement have been consistent and to say that the game has no animation is simply not true.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    does WURM have combat animations yet? i aint played for years.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    I think people are better off getting into the next Age Of Wushu beta. It's a full sandbox MOM where all the best items are made by the players. If you are a blacksmith and make a blade then you will need to find a woodwork crafter to make the hilt, you need other crafters.

It also has house and guild building with clan conquests and farming and virtual stores. When you log off your character stays in the world doing chores or selling on your stall. You can also be kidnaped by other players and sold into slavery. On top of that you get player bounty's and a prison sentence and a beheading that other players can watch. A notice will be put up telling everyone who is being beheaded.

The list goes on.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Fell off a slope and was injured and slowly very slowly died after 25 minutes.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Rimmersman
    I think people are better off getting into the next Age Of Wushu beta. It's a full sandbox MOM where all the best items are made by the players. If you are a blacksmith and make a blade then you will need to find a woodwork crafter to make the hilt, you need other crafters. It also has house and guild building with clan conquests and farming and virtual stores. When you log off your character stays in the world doing chores or selling on your stall. You can also be kidnaped by other players and sold into slavery. On top of that you get player bounty's and a prison sentence and a beheading that other players can watch. A notice will be put up telling everyone who is being beheaded. The list goes on.

Is Age of Wushu another far-east anime MMO made by testosterone-filled programmers who don't know anything about human anatomy or proper weapon sizes?  If so, no thanks.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Fell off a slope and was injured and slowly very slowly died after 25 minutes.

That's the beauty of Wurm. If you get wounded and don't do anything to heal the wound you die. Yes.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Eyesgood

The game has come a long way in the sense of animations since I started playing 3.5 years ago.  There are tons of simple animations in Wurm, even without considering the upcoming changes to characters and the new creature models that have been creeping into the game over the last few months.  Progression and improvement have been consistent and to say that the game has no animation is simply not true.

Do your feet move?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Originally posted by Rimmersman
    I think people are better off getting into the next Age Of Wushu beta. It's a full sandbox MOM where all the best items are made by the players. If you are a blacksmith and make a blade then you will need to find a woodwork crafter to make the hilt, you need other crafters. It also has house and guild building with clan conquests and farming and virtual stores. When you log off your character stays in the world doing chores or selling on your stall. You can also be kidnaped by other players and sold into slavery. On top of that you get player bounty's and a prison sentence and a beheading that other players can watch. A notice will be put up telling everyone who is being beheaded. The list goes on.

Is Age of Wushu another far-east anime MMO made by testosterone-filled programmers who don't know anything about human anatomy or proper weapon sizes?  If so, no thanks.

Lol check out the vids in the Age Of Wushu section or forums on this site.

But if you want an answer, nope it's not. In fact it's very realistic and is based on feudal China, no high heels and oversized weapons here.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Fresh from the Wurm forum: 100 Fishing.

Read through the endless parade of "Grats", and despair.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    The graphics are fine to me, but I am not a graphics slave, hell I still play gba and snes titles cuz they are just good games so graphics do not matter much. Is wurm online free to play? cuz me and a friend are sick of the usual wow-clones and want to try something that is really diffrent. He can't really sub to anything though atm so.. yeah. I love crafting but how is the combat? because I also love killing things.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Do your feet move?

Lol, yes.  I do remember when Wurm players floated around the map, never moving any body parts.  But a lot has changed.  And more is right around the corner with full character animations, including fighting animations.  Many of the animals are now fully rigged and animated, and we are told the players will be with 1.0 release next week.  You really should give Wurm another try if you haven't been on in over a year.  The team has really done a lot in the past year.  The environment is spectacular (grass  moves, trees move, smoke particles from ovens, forges, campfires flow with the direction of the wind.  Most of the meshes for objects have been changed and greatly improved.  The game just isn't the same game that it was a few years ago.  No, it's not SWTOR quality graphics or PVP, but I will take the sandbox environment over that any day.  Just give it a try...

Do your feet move?

Lol, yes.  I do remember when Wurm players floated around the map, never moving any body parts.  But a lot has changed.  And more is right around the corner with full character animations, including fighting animations.  Many of the animals are now fully rigged and animated, and we are told the players will be with 1.0 release next week.  You really should give Wurm another try if you haven't been on in over a year.  The team has really done a lot in the past year.  The environment is spectacular (grass  moves, trees move, smoke particles from ovens, forges, campfires flow with the direction of the wind.  Most of the meshes for objects have been changed and greatly improved.  The game just isn't the same game that it was a few years ago.  No, it's not SWTOR quality graphics or PVP, but I will take the sandbox environment over that any day.  Just give it a try...

Will do. Im not a fan of the massive amount of clicking, took me a month to build a rowboat. Right click, widget, sprocket, build. Failed. Repeat 100,000 times.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

Will do. Im not a fan of the massive amount of clicking, took me a month to build a rowboat. Right click, widget, sprocket, build. Failed. Repeat 100,000 times.

Wurm is a massive grindfest, no doubt. Fortunately you can bind almost every action in wurm to keys. Makes grinding a lot more bearable (if enjoyable I'll leave to you). Other than that wurm is one of the most immersive games I've played. If you're looking for a world to live in: this is the one. Not sure but maybe I'll come back once the dull "standing riders" are removed... I already miss my giant spiders with the new animations *shudder* :) Ah and btw... in wurm you can do things where everyone, even the veterans, will tell you it won't work, don't do. I did that with staff fighting, using a steel staff and did it all solo, including the steel production.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by picommander

Wurm is a massive grindfest, no doubt. Fortunately you can bind almost every action in wurm to keys. Makes grinding a lot more bearable (if enjoyable I'll leave to you). Other than that wurm is one of the most immersive games I've played. If you're looking for a world to live in: this is the one. Not sure but maybe I'll come back once the dull "standing riders" are removed... I already miss my giant spiders with the new animations *shudder* :) Ah and btw... in wurm you can do things where everyone, even the veterans, will tell you it won't work, don't do. I did that with staff fighting, using a steel staff and did it all solo, including the steel production.

Giant spiders; thank devs for phobia mode. A lot less screaming occurred. I just jumped into Wurm a few days ago after hearing about it on reddit. It is a real time-sinker, but it's so rewarding. I spent like five hours making a small cart to travel to a new town--only to have died and lost everything. I actually didn't mind, that's where my fun came in. 

This game has a small tight-knit community. One that's full of all types of characters. With the Community Assistant tab; I was able to learn a good chunk of the game in a matter of two days and become successfull enough to move on. This game has a ton of options available to players, I'm sure that'll run out eventually, but being a time-sink that's going to take a while. It's safe to say I love Wurm and recommended it to my minecraft-addicted fiance; Hours later, she wouldn't logged out.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Raise your hand if you made a mmorpg.com account just to make and or post to boost Wurms population.

Yep I see a couple hands. Who else?

Originally posted by moguy2

Raise your hand if you made a mmorpg.com account just to make and or post to boost Wurms population.

Yep I see a couple hands. Who else?

Yep, I wish you had something positive to say as well, lol.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    After my game of choice closed down (Glitch) I'm on the lookout for a new sandbox. Downloaded the game already and will be playing on the new server starting tomorrow. Will update this thread later with my opinions on the game, the community, and how the guy in charge is handling the game from a newbie's perspective (the 3 things I've read the most disparity about here).