Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

12346»

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No. 

There is no chance. 

Even if Swtor would be closed down tommorow.

======================

You need to find new sandbox-y home for yourself. That will mean it won't be Star Wars themed ofc.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

As many have mentioned, probably not in the *Stars* (No pun intended)

Lucas is about mass appeal....(See JarJar Binks, Hans shooting second, etc.).....hence, SWTOR created in the image of the MMO that shall not be named, but has over 10 million subscribers.

I think a well developed & executed "sandbox-ish" Star Wars game would hope to pull in 300-400k subs (not far off the mark of successful sandbox MMOs like EVE Online).  To achieve this kind of success would depend on the development team & publisher to knock it out the park.....something VERY hard to do in this industry.

I think a mediocre developed & executed "thempark-ish" Star Wars game would pull in 500 - 800k subs.  Hitting this mark is MUCH easier to do.....as evidenced by several theme park MMOs that have been released in the last 5 or so years.

Point being, the upside (from a revenue standpoint) of the kind of Star Wars game that SWG was is LOWER than a middle of the road Star Wars game that SWTOR is......which is easier to achieve.

Lucas (and/or the people in charge of his SW IP) doesn't give a crap about giving people a "deep & challenging MMORPG".  What they are interested in is marketing (and keeping alive) their Star Wars IP.  The best way to do this is to get as many copies of a Star Wars game infront of as many people as possible.  Considering that Themepark type MMORPGs appeal to more generic gamers, a themepark is what Lucas will endorse.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

no.  It's gone.  Let it RIP.  Why people keep dredging up its old bones, messing with the coffin.  Bothering the families and reminding them of the hurt, I don't know.  Let it rest.  It had a productive life, the family needs closure.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Remember, discussion of emulators and private servers are not allowed under our Rules of Condust.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

A lot of posts in a couple hours - SWG forums is getting more attention than SWTORs

SWG would do wonders if they brought it back as F2P. If they want millions of subs, that is what they need to do.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

SOE can't just pug the servers in and hang a shingle over the door that says "Welcome Back" on it. This is Star Wars, They'd have to go through LA 1st. If they didn't resurrect SWG pre NGE when they had the chance, they aren't doing it now. That said, There is no reason why SoE couldn't develop a SWG clone and remove all traces of SW lore. But that's a gamble, There was only one game I am aware of that attempted to clone a sandbox game and it didn't do so well.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

SWG is never coming back. It may be sad, but that's the way the world is. Everything has its day and quality is not always an indicator of the success or longevity of a product.

I'm not saying whether SWG was a great game or not. But it doesn't matter now.

Example:

In music, there are great musicians you've never heard of and there is Lady Gaga/Justin Bieber/etc. Sometimes, great musicians become famous, sometimes they don't. Sometimes total sh*t becomes all the rage. Who can account for peoples' tastes and marketing budgets?

And I'm not being a snob. I'm loving the hell out of playing D3 now. It's a big Blizzard/Activision product. I think it's a great game, because....it's fun as hell, to me. I also have enjoyed games like Mortal Online and Darkfall, but just don't have the time to play them. 

Point is, games will come and go. The majority of them will be not so good. But great new things will always be born. They will be in the minority and that's what makes them special. And even then, you can't be sure some greedy suits won't buy it out and mess it up. It's just the way the world runs. Just like music. How many bands startied out amazing and hungry and then wound up fat and complacent? You can't get them back. They are gone and new blood is on the way.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

SWG is never coming back. It may be sad, but that's the way the world is. Everything has its day and quality is not always an indicator of the success or longevity of a product.

I'm not saying whether SWG was a great game or not. But it doesn't matter now.

Example:

In music, there are great musicians you've never heard of and there is Lady Gaga/Justin Bieber/etc. Sometimes, great musicians become famous, sometimes they don't. Sometimes total sh*t becomes all the rage. Who can account for peoples' tastes and marketing budgets?

And I'm not being a snob. I'm loving the hell out of playing D3 now. It's a big Blizzard/Activision product. I think it's a great game, because....it's fun as hell, to me. I also have enjoyed games like Mortal Online and Darkfall, but just don't have the time to play them. 

Point is, games will come and go. The majority of them will be not so good. But great new things will always be born. They will be in the minority and that's what makes them special. And even then, you can't be sure some greedy suits won't buy it out and mess it up. It's just the way the world runs. Just like music. How many bands startied out amazing and hungry and then wound up fat and complacent? You can't get them back. They are gone and new blood is on the way.

True, but new blood does not usually fail hard. The gaming world is failing hard right now., especially where EA is concerned. Overal sales have been down this year. Devs are getting desperate and want 2nd hand games blocked on consoles in an attempt to get more money. DLC is being abused to get more sales etc etc

Games cost money to makes - SWG is already written, so half the job done. Games do not have to have amazing graphics to get millions of subs - Minecraft is proof of that, it is a game from about 15 years or so ago. SWG is the ultimate sandbox MMO with tonnes of systems to attrract a wide range of players. I have played Diablo 3 and it is not my kind of game. SWG is a lot of players game, it has the ground game like WOW, it has the space game, it has player Cities, it has Beast Mastery and can creete your own. The crafting system is like no other. You can craete your own quests in the chronicles system.

With the monthly fee and the bad reviews of 2005, it no doubt put people off, but if it goes F2P, more people will try and lose themselves in the many systems. SWG > Minecraft where creativity is concerned, and even has better graphics.

SWG was shut down and replaced by SWTOR, as was thought they would be raking it in with constant miullions of subs, and SWG would be left in the past. This has not been the case, and threads like this one have popped up all over the internet and forums within the last couple of weeks. Plus all the your posts - There is real interest in SWG still.

• dragonman12dragonman12 Member Posts: 1
    you know there are other swg games out there that are pre cu