Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Ecnali

I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

If TOR closes down (or close to) someone else might get the license instead but frankly were SWG never that large. If they brought it back it would never come close to 100K players anyways and LA aims higher than that.

I would be very surprised if SOE got the license for a new game, and SWG will never be revived, sorry.

Your best hope is that someone opens up a illegal private server (if none such exist already). Anything else wont happen.

Well, SOE could maybe use SWG as a base for a new game with another setting but it isn´t likely.

SWG had 250-300k subscribers between 2003 and 2005 when NGE hit and the subs plummeted. And that number is really nice for pre-WoW era. Prior to that it was basically only EQ, FF XI and Lineage 1 that could beat those numbers.

So if they brought back a modern SWG I would bet it would get a sustained subscriber base of 300k, easy. Specially since because of the so many ThemeParks being released I imagine there is a demand for something different.

But it would not happen, no. Current (triple A) MMO devs/producers are aiming for big sales (1 M+) then when the subscriber base is low enough, go F2P and focus on the cash-shop to maximize profits. Or do like GW 2 and go B2P+cash shop. A sandbox would not work like that because for one it caters to less amount of people and a cash-shop in sandbox, I dont really think it will work.

MMOs are big bussiness now so the main, and maybe even only, driving force is maximizing return of investment. That is why MMOs these days are so easy and hand-holds you, to cater to as many people as possible.

Nah, it was sloppy and people expect more now. It doesn't have to do with other developers, it has to do with player expectations in quality.

Some solid systems, but nothing amazing. Perhaps crafting is the only thing worth re-looking at. Although it was also extremely frustrating if you kept losing the die roll.

Expect more in what regards? In therms of graphics, UI etc maybe but saying that games like TERA, SW:TOR has more than SWG, gameplay-wise is absurd. SWG had a full fledged and complex economy, intricate crafting and vast areas to explore. These themeparks have tiny, linear zones and a dumbed down and simplistic crafting system and a barely functioning economy. They are basically Diablo type Hack and Slash games.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by colddog04

Nah, it was sloppy and people expect more now. It doesn't have to do with other developers, it has to do with player expectations in quality.

Some solid systems, but nothing amazing. Perhaps crafting is the only thing worth re-looking at. Although it was also extremely frustrating if you kept losing the die roll.

Expect more in what regards? In therms of graphics, UI etc maybe but saying that games like TERA, SW:TOR has more than SWG, gameplay-wise is absurd. SWG had a full fledged and complex economy, intricate crafting and vast areas to explore. These themeparks have tiny, linear zones and a dumbed down and simplistic crafting system and a barely functioning economy. They are basically Diablo type Hack and Slash games.

1. Horrific gameplay would be the nicest way to describe SWGs gameplay. 

2. I liked that they had open worlds, but they were empty.

3. UI was bad, like you admit.

4. Garphics were fine for the time, but nothing special. SWG Typical MMORPG at the time.

Crafting was good, like I said. Areas are big but uneventful. Gameplay is poor.

People expect more from their games today. SWTOR doesn't even cut it in terms of what it should offer and they spent 200 million on the thing.

• BLeeDzACiDBLeeDzACiD Member Posts: 55

The game is not that bad Its the only game since the recent releases that has gotten me back to MMO's thus far everything else that has come out has either been removed completely and abandonded or just completely sucked and they stopped developing. I believe its the gamers fault of today that they are not happy with given products. When I was coming up we made our own content. We made our own contest I.E. Matrix online we had fight night fridays with big prizes. Now you cant get someone to do a simple quest because they are racing to max level instead of enjoying the game and expanding on it with the community this is just not happening any more. It is what it is make the best of and move on.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by JeroKane

Ever seen an MMO being reinstated after being shut down?

There is your answer.

I would love to see Tabula Rasa being brought back online.  Ain't ever gonna happen!

APB?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

All I got to say is SWG was an amazing game, my favorite game on any console or PC.  I played it though when everything was in its prime, from 2004-NGE, a year after release in 2003.   It was definitely a sucess in game during those times, the forums always were lit up by the thousands of people selling and buying items in the trade forums.  It wanted to compete with WOW, so they did the best they could, thats what happened. I Still keep SWG on my HD and play it as often as I can in emu.

<mod edit>

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

That would be amazing. I thought about writing LA to beg, but I can't find a legit e-mail address to write them. If a petition was started that stated the reasons why we want it instead of SWTOR, they might listen...slim chance, but...

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Even with declining subs, SWTOR still has more subscribers than SWG ever had.  Your personal opinion of the quality of the game is irrelevant.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Not a chance. The game may not be great, but it is going to be profitable, even if they have to cut staff and corners to do it. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

EA has the rights to the liscense and as they recently said they look forward to exploiting the IP

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Even the worst most pessimist outcasts put SWTOR as having more subs than SWG did on its prime, so I'd say... no chance at all.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

No chance. All SWTOR's crapping the bed proved was that people don't want to play an unstable and bland themepark MMO by themselves. I'm sure we'll see another 5-6 of these before the year is up lol.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Even the worst most pessimist outcasts put SWTOR as having more subs than SWG did on its prime, so I'd say... no chance at all.

Like I said before, SWG hovered around 300k subs for over a year (2004-2005) and I will bet good money that SW:TOR will go below 300k subs by the end of the year, unless they go F2P.

That is the difference between real MMORPGs of the past and these cut and paste casual ThemePark garbage. The former evolved over time and slowly raised in subs where as the latter depend on a high initial sales, to make a quick buck, and then decline over the first year to then either go in maintenance mode or F2P. But by then they have moved on to develpp the next MMO and the money-wagon continues. Cryptic is a perfect example of a company that create copy paste garbage and add cash shop to get some quick buck and then go F2P.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

but there is no chance in hell SWTOR will have a fraction of SWG subs for as long as SWG did!

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I liked SWG, but I don't get where people say SWTOR is horrible or bad.  It's a matter of opinion I guess really.  I just don't see it.

Originally posted by Gravarg

I liked SWG, but I don't get where people say SWTOR is horrible or bad.  It's a matter of opinion I guess really.  I just don't see it.

take out star wars from it and it'd be a below average game.

and there is nothing star wars about it!

it is so heavily riping off that god awful clone wars cgi series its unreal

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by darkehawke

but there is no chance in hell SWTOR will have a fraction of SWG subs for as long as SWG did!

Let's talk payed subs, they sold 1.3 mill boxes, from what I've read thier blowing hot air on sub numbers. It took us over at SWG 7 years to need server merges and now all I see is people already crying for merges 5 months after launch. We had a good long run with SWG. A lot longer than SOE planned it to last.
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by mcburly

im not the one predicting doom on a game that still has over a million subs six months after launch. Any mmo that has attained that kind of success has gone on to live a long healthy life but hey, keep on hoping for the end of SWTOR if ya want. Im afraid your going to be sorely dissapointed. cheers.

Uhh the last numbers EA gave out are either based on march which is before the 3 month subs run out or april which is after they gave out a free month to most players so that most 3 month subs had yet to run out.  Let see the numbers when 3 month subs are up or when 6 month subs are up, because if they follow the trend we have seen I doubt they will have 500k by Aug 23.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Drakxii

im not the one predicting doom on a game that still has over a million subs six months after launch. Any mmo that has attained that kind of success has gone on to live a long healthy life but hey, keep on hoping for the end of SWTOR if ya want. Im afraid your going to be sorely dissapointed. cheers.

Uhh the last numbers EA gave out are either based on march which is before the 3 month subs run out or april which is after they gave out a free month to most players so that most 3 month subs had yet to run out.  Let see the numbers when 3 month subs are up or when 6 month subs are up, because if they follow the trend we have seen I doubt they will have 500k by July 23.

1.2 million as of the may 7th conferencs call. your out of the loop friend

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

lol  since my "concspiracy theory" came from EA themselves i'll take that with a pinch of salt

Yeah I know what statement you are talking about and for them to list off the franchises that rake in more money as being the priority makes sense. Does that mean that SWTOR is going to be ignored? No effing way.... lets be realistic here. Also that statement wasnt directed at fans but investors where its all business. Honestly, your reaching if you think that statement has much meaning on the future of the game.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by Drakxii

Uhh the last numbers EA gave out are either based on march which is before the 3 month subs run out or april which is after they gave out a free month to most players so that most 3 month subs had yet to run out.  Let see the numbers when 3 month subs are up or when 6 month subs are up, because if they follow the trend we have seen I doubt they will have 500k by July 23.

1.2 million as of the may 7th conferencs call. your out of the loop friend

Which might be based end of Q1 numbers aka March 31st.

But even if it isn't  Dec 20-Jan 19 was free. Jan 20-Feb 19 was month 1 of payed, Feb 20 to March 19 was month 2, March 20 to April 19 was month three but April 12 they gave free time to all level 50s, then on April 16 updated to give all L6 players a free month.  So people who bought 3 month subs are still subed till may 20, for the most part.  Also unless they give more free time away 6 month subs start to be up Aug 20.  Think SWTOr will still have 1.2 million this time next week?  I don't.  Do you think they will have more then 500k Aug 20?  I don't.

Oh and sorry about the wrong dates.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

NOPE....

Asbo

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

I loved SWG prior to NGE. That is when it was best but as far as making a come back I really doubt that. If I remember correctly SOE put in a request to make SWG II and Lucasarts said no and went with Bioware. I thought SWG had the best leveling, crafting, housing, space simulation, guild options etc. I really loved that game and would be all for a redo with better graphics. Bring it on sign me up...but reality says...it is not going to happen.

lol  since my "concspiracy theory" came from EA themselves i'll take that with a pinch of salt

Yeah I know what statement you are talking about and for them to list off the franchises that rake in more money as being the priority makes sense. Does that mean that SWTOR is going to be ignored? No effing way.... lets be realistic here. Also that statement wasnt directed at fans but investors where its all business. Honestly, your reaching if you think that statement has much meaning on the future of the game.

fair enough, i read it differently to you. and i'm not going to comment on how much money it makes as we have no idea what the PAYING subs are. that 1.3 mill figure is as good as made up since my account is one of those, and i have been cancelled for ages!

i find it disturbing to see a star wars game mentioned in the same vein as tiger woods golf, so for me i see the worst, you see it another way and i hope for your own enjoyment you're right.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

Warhammer online anyone? 

I think BIOFAIL and EVILTRONIC ARTS should try to include a SWG emulator in the game as they did with the SEGA TRILOGY ARCADE space simulator they added as space.

You know , as a legacy feature you can unlock paying 10m of credits, the chance of forsee the future and play with the gran gran nieces of your toon in a real world , just introduce a SWG emulator inside the game and let the people play it.  LOL , I'm pretty sure it will be a great success and a real legacy thing. 

Poor Galaxies , what a great game wasted. But as they say: Others will come that will make you good.

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

fair enough, i read it differently to you. and i'm not going to comment on how much money it makes as we have no idea what the PAYING subs are. that 1.3 mill figure is as good as made up since my account is one of those, and i have been cancelled for ages!

i find it disturbing to see a star wars game mentioned in the same vein as tiger woods golf, so for me i see the worst, you see it another way and i hope for your own enjoyment you're right.

I think it has made quite a bit of money and even a game that has over 400 to 500k paying subscriptions is a success however I will say that I agree with your statement that its very disturbing and sad for SWTOR players when EA compares the success and future of SWTOR with Tiger Woods Golf....man that really sucks.