Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ. A game mod better than all MMO's i've played in the last 5 years or so.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by GTwander

I'm thinking about getting into it, if only to find a couple moments like this.

lol that's hysterical.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    So I played some DayZ... i've killed 16 zombies... haven't died yet.. ended up logging out locked in a tiny shed.  Logged back in later and it was pitch black dark... snuck out of a zombie infested area into the woods and logged out under a big tree... I figure I'm not going to play when it's dark.

If the game wants to run a zombie survival sim for me, then I'll treat it like one... I wouldn't be running around in pure darkness looking to get killed at night... still, I can't deny that there's a level of fun to be had at night when you're in a group... just check out this story that was posted on Kotaku:

"Once, I logged on in the middle of the night. During my previous sessions I had been making my way through the countryside to what I was told was a town ripe for the picking, travelling with a friend who was now fast asleep. I decide to take a shortcut through a small village, which turned out to be a terrible decision - it was full of zombies.

So there I was, being chased along the road by a dozen zombies for what must've been half an hour, when I see a flare in the distance. It looks like it's on the roof of a building, but it's hard to tell from this distance. I stop running for a second to announce that I'm in need of help, during which time I'm struck in the face and start bleeding. Almost immediately I get a reply - "No problem, come on over". Slowly losing blood, I make my way over and find that it is indeed a building (and a pretty big one, at that). I climb a few flights of stairs, but see no entrance to the roof. Frantically searching, I hear a moan.

They're catching up. Suddenly, I hear the flick of lighter, followed by a blinding red light - the guy drops a flare down, revealing the ladder that was hiding behind a stack of crates. I'm struck once again while I'm putting away my mostly-empty revolver. My vision darkens as I climb, gunshots echoing as my newfound companion covers my escape.

The gunshots stop as I finally reach the top. I'm safe. He points me towards a pile of ammo and we chat for a bit while he gives me a transfusion. In the first downtime I've had in quite some time, I realize how incredibly hungry and thirsty I am. I ask if he has anything to eat, to which he replies with a laugh, "You too, eh?"

A scream echoes in the distance. Blam. Blamblam. Another scream - no shots this time, though. I look toward the horizon, deeper into the city where I see a figure basking in the faint light of a distant flare. It's another survivor, and it looks like he's in trouble. Without hesitation, my savior whips out he rifle and, after adjusting his zero, takes aim and fires. The shots hit and the zombie goes down, as expected. What we didn't expect, though, was the massive horde that proceeded to sprint through the light towards us. Shit.

We decide that it'd be a waste of resources to try and take them out from all the way over there, so we wait for them to get closer. We manage to pick off a few before they round the corner of the courtyard and escape our line of sight, which uses up the majority of our remaining ammunition. Their cries now louder than ever, we figure they're probably in the building. "We fight to the end!", he says. No disagreements here. While waiting for death to shamble up the stairs, we reminisce about how we first met - oh, it seems like only yesterday! We expend the rest of our ammo on the first few to climb the ladder, though there are many still filing up the stairs.

We back as far away from the entrance as we can and wait. Guns as empty as our stomachs (and my veins), we watch as the first zombie steps floor on the roof. The chat was unusually dead, so it wasn't hard to see the message in my peripheral vision - "Goodbye, battle-brother. We made a hell of a team." I turn my head as he takes a single step and leaps off the edge.

The rest, well, you can probably figure it out.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

That's a good story ^

One of the things I love about DayZ is that everyone has stories that have come out of the game. It makes a change from the rest of the game industry where stories go *into* the game and players take it in turns to pretend that they are their own.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by ennymith

Plenty of u tubes poping up now of Dayz 'teams' that are totally bandit with all the maps goodies stock piled in ridiculous amounts.  Dayz is allready devolving into the typical MMORPG world PVP where a few elite groups dominate the map.  Once that permeates most of the servers, it becomes just one more so so FPS.

Nothing a well planned ambush can't solve.  Truthfully, the map is so big that it is pretty hard to get "dominated" by a big team unless you run at them like Rambo thinking you can slay them all.  A lone sniper might be able to stalk such a team and kill quite a few of them before slinking back into the dense forest cover.   I think a lot of posters don't realize just how big the map is.  You can run around in the forest and actually get lost.  A player prone in the bushes is near impossible to see.  You can run around for hours on a full server and never see anyone else.  There are a lot of hermit players who just survive in the forest and avoid all human contact. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Can anyone explain to me how this game is superior to, say, Darkfall Online?

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Irus

Apart from one or two features, there is no comparison to be made. As long as you steer clear of the coast and stay in the other 200km2 of the map it's like nothing you've played before.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

After reading through this thread I am going to have no choice but to pick this up. I'm not really into permadeath, but it looks as though it has been done right in this case. I can't believe some of the stories being shared here about in game experiences. These are the types of things I'm looking for in an mmo. They can be so much more than fun, fun, fun, teehee, giggle, giggle. Fun is an important quality, don't get me wrong, but far from the be-all and end-all. Where's the suspense, the fear, the exhilaration, the rush of adrenaline; the components that make a game fun on a different level? Why are so many mmos so one dimensional and uninspired?

Hopefully this game has some influence on our unfortunately hurting genre.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

It is toally crazy if you follow the growing player numbers and how a single mod from Arma 2 goes massive viral. The dev of DayZ did create this mod for the Arma 2 community, he thought maybe only some hundred people max will play his modification.

Instead two weeks after his release already almost 50.000 people were registered, watching the homepage of the mod (dayzmod.com) and the Arma 2 server list,  I see already after two more weeks.

~ 130.000 unique players;  ~ 1.600.000 characters; 150-200 servers with more than 10.000+ players or whatever online at the same time.

And this all with growing numbers....without any adverstising or marketing. This is unbelieveable.....reminds a bit on the Valve mods from HalfLife which were very successfull, but HalfLIfe was the game of teh year and overall top selling in its times.

The game is since more than two weeks top seller on Steam, other companies who have their releases in this time rub their eyes....

There are servers from all over the world already, watching the server list....amazing:

* Most countries from Europe +  Russia; Ukraine;  Belarus; SouthAfrica; Brasil; USA; Kanada; Australia; New-Zealand; Thailand; Korea; Taiwan; Vietnam; Japan and last but not least ...Saudi Arabia.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Its not...

....ive played DAYZ in last 3 weeks and its realy fun and i love survival simulation with permadeath but Darkfall world is more diverse more beautiful world and alot more deeper.

But Darkfall from launch had alot cheating and dumb afk macroing plus grind is way to long. Slitting up community also put a nail in the coffin.

So after few years you have a great game but empty servers when most players still sitting in clantowns macroing that killed the game.

Darkfall could have been such a great game but so many mistakes where made and players ruined the game for most part themselfs.

But i still think you can't compare Darkfall with DAYZ there 2 completely different games.

I would btw in instant play darkfall full red server and i mean no stupid towers no dumb alignment system pure free for all and permadeath, zero hold hands no tutorial or any guidance, but only if devs would like zealots take care of cheaters and won't aloud macroing zerotolerance then Darkfall i would play.

P.S Ive played Darkfall for longtime so i know what im talking about.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

You can't compare the two in any meaningful way.

DFO is an MMO, while DayZ is a survival mod for a war simulator. While it may be a bit "MMOish" in that your character is persistant until you die, there is no real character progression beyond acquiring better gear. Also, permadeath means that it's more similar to shooters and games like M&B than an MMO - since you only lose your gear, you don't really "die", you just spawn again somewhere far away from your corpse.

There is no crafting, no economy, etc. PvE is basically avoiding/killing zombies.

That being said, it's a lot of fun and a very intense experience - when it works. I think I've spent 75% of my gaming time during the last couple of days just trying to get the game to work, and join a server. Because of the extreme hype, server load is ridiculous and it's very apparent that it's still in alpha.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Come to think of it...

I am going to avoid this game.

Just because I can already feel without playing it how addictive it would be and what emotional rollercoaster ride it would bring lol.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I really want to play it but all I have read is people struggling to get it to work or connect to servers, my game time is not abundant and I would hate to spend £26 buying the game and installing the mod to find out that I can't actually get in to any servers to play this.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I really want to play it but all I have read is people struggling to get it to work or connect to servers, my game time is not abundant and I would hate to spend £26 buying the game and installing the mod to find out that I can't actually get in to any servers to play this.

They are working on this infact i think there was a big update yesterday or very soon that is going to fix the connecting to server issue. Remember this mod is in the Alpha stage to very early in development, if you cant handle a few bugs sure hold off until its more stable. Also going back a month there was maybe 10 servers... now there is probally close to 50 so finding space is not hard..

I enjoy ARMA II anyway and the mod is just a massive bonus, but saying that not everyone will enjoy ARMA II as its a military sim game not an arcade fps game so it can be very hard..

DayZ is awesome and sure its not a MMORPG but it has certain MMO features.

Perma death is perfect for this as well, remember your not spending time developing a character your just finding equipment to survive.. everytime i have died and started from scratch i have had just as much fun getting gear again..

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

They have released a patch 1.70 that limited the time to connect consirable, it has improved alot now so wait is shortend by tenfold.

Btw there are prolly now 100+ servers i see almost everyday more and more comming its not realy hard getting into one.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

Cheers for the info guys, good to know they are doing all they can to improve it, I will maybe download it this weekend since we have a bank holiday here in the UK so Monday and Tuesday are days off work!

I read that your character is saved across the servers you play on, does that mean if I play on a US server and then switch to one hosted in the EU my character will remain as long as he is alive?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Mod looks interesting. I might have to pick up ARMAII and try it out.

Im not a fan of FFA FL PvP as it attracts the asswipes, but in this game it might just work since there is nothing permanent and no character progression other than to stay alive.

Since they have Perma-Death for your character it would be cool if they doubled the character longevity.

Once your "human" dies you become a "zombie" and have to survive that way until permanently killed. Only then do you respawn a new character

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Cheers for the info guys, good to know they are doing all they can to improve it, I will maybe download it this weekend since we have a bank holiday here in the UK so Monday and Tuesday are days off work!

I read that your character is saved across the servers you play on, does that mean if I play on a US server and then switch to one hosted in the EU my character will remain as long as he is alive?

Yes.  I've had the server I was playing on go down and I was able to log onto an entirely different server and respawn in the same place with all my equipment intact.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Maybe this buzz is a sign that gamers really want these online virtual worlds (large open, seamless map) after all. You know, the thing that once made MMOs great...

Skyrim (er, if only it had multiplayer) and now a mod called DayZ. This type of game needs all the attention it can get.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Maybe this buzz is a sign that gamers really want these online virtual worlds (large open, seamless map) after all. You know, the thing that once made MMOs great...

We can only hope

Skyrim (er, if only it had multiplayer) and now a mod called DayZ. This type of game needs all the attention it can get.

Skyrim Online Mod is in the works. If someone can do it for ARMAII they can do it for Skyrim

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Mod looks interesting. I might have to pick up ARMAII and try it out.

Im not a fan of FFA FL PvP as it attracts the asswipes, but in this game it might just work since there is nothing permanent and no character progression other than to stay alive.

Since they have Perma-Death for your character it would be cool if they doubled the character longevity.

Once your "human" dies you become a "zombie" and have to survive that way until permanently killed. Only then do you respawn a new character

Go to the Hardcore difficulty servers. Most of the brats steer clear. It has no names over head or targeting reticule. You have Ironsights only. It seems to be a bit better crowd there.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Im playing this game now and its amazing!  The only issue i have is logging in...  What is the trick??  I can wait for a hour sometimes!!!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Im playing this game now and its amazing!  The only issue i have is logging in...  What is the trick??  I can wait for a hour sometimes!!!

If it takes longer than a couple of minutes to spawn go to a different server.  Usually after one or two duds I find one that'll spawn me in a minute or so.  The next patch should help connections.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

you can play this with the free version of Arma II if im not mistaken. 

Originally posted by Mexorilla

you can play this with the free version of Arma II if im not mistaken. 

You can but you still need to buy operation arrowhead, apparently the people that make ARMA will be including the DayZ mod in the next game patch so anyone that isn't confident setting it up themselves can wait for that.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

There is one important thing what I noticed in the last days. 

Several online game world maps are popping up, which can be sometimes handy if you are totally lost, want to meet other players for orientation.

But, the DayZ is the most fun if it is played without this help. You should really only use this for an "emergency" otherwise a bigger part of the excitement and lost feeling is gone and you are playing the game like it is not intended..

Now to the even more important point since this is not all, in the last days several online game world maps are filled from players with loot informations. Marked locations on map where you find rare items, marked locations where you find certain buildings, where players often hide their stuff, and so on...There are maps out there who are very detailed and every tiny thing is marked with a description. Iam clicking away such maps at once, with very detailed informations... I want to explore for myself and this is a big part of the fun.

This is just a warning, I think if you use a game world map like that you take away a HUGE part of the excitement and you are getting probably faster bored than you think, especially those players who are mostly fixed on items and playing 24/7. The game itself should be played like intended, think about it and Iam sure most will agree. Exploring is a big part of the game.