Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longevity of D3? Please explain.

yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

First post, Hi!!

I am a noob at mmo's generally so forgive the question.

I was discussing D3 (I'm interested in the RMAH) with a friend whos played D1 and D2 and who is a big fan of D3.  I was trying to find out why D3 isnt really an MMO per se, and during the explanation my friend said something like, D3 is essentially one long campaign and that when you get through it, then its over, and for that reason there is no longevity to the game.

This doesnt really make sense to me because it seems the resources that have been put into producing the game must be astronomical so why produce something so seemingly finite.  (I'm trying to compare this idea with the mmo I'm still playing - PWI - which is still lingering after 3 years - obviously playing pwi makes me want to find something new)

Does D3 have longevity?  Will it be around in 2 years or 5 or more or less.  Please give me your opinions.  I enjoy immersing myself in a game so I dont want to start something that isnt around for long, and I dont have time to play lots of different mmo's at the same time.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by yangdude

First post, Hi!!

I was discussing D3 (I'm interested in the RMAH) with a friend whos played D1 and D2 and who is a big fan of D3.  I was trying to find out why D3 isnt really an MMO per se, and during the explanation my friend said something like, D3 is essentially one long campaign and that when you get through it, then its over, and for that reason there is no longevity to the game.

This doesnt really make sense to me because it seems the resources that have been put into producing the game must be astronomical so why produce something so seemingly finite.  (I'm trying to compare this idea with the mmo I'm still playing - PWI - which is still lingering after 3 years - obviously playing pwi makes me want to find something new)

Does D3 have longevity?  Will it be around in 2 years or 5 or more or less.  Please give me your opinions.  I enjoy immersing myself in a game so I dont want to start something that isnt around for long, and I dont have time to play lots of different mmo's at the same time.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well, your friend is right in the sense that when you finished the game on all difficulties, the general "endgoal" has been reached. For some this isn't enough and they just continue to play. Others stop at that point.

One difference with most MMO's, is that in the past there wasn't much added content after the releases of the game and the expansions like there is with most MMO's. The added content makes sure that a lot of people stick with MMO's for a longer time. More to do and all. Diablo doesn't have this. Like I said, when you did all the content, the game hasn't got more secrets for you left.

The fun part is though, that it's box-to-play. If after three years you want to play the game again, you can, without renewing a costly subscription. Diablo 2 is still played to this day, albeit with only a fraction of the people who played it ten years ago.

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

its easy to explain :) D3 not MMO even a little its.... arcade  similar to what you can time over time start   smash your mouse button  1mill times logout  relaxed :)  it doesnt need anythg more than a hook to get some1 attention for at least 1 week. "hardcore" mouse clickers sure will be playing game for ages  just for a dream to post  someday screen of completing Inferno on hardcore. for all other 99.9% ppl its just a game to waste 1 week.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

d3 isnt an mmorpg, its just an rpg

with online co op for a handfull of people in one game.  

no persistent world, you play in sessions of the campaign based roughly on where everyones character is at progress wise.  or you can group up with friends in a lobby and set where to start.

calling diablo 3 an mmo is just wrong.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

D3 will last for a long time.....logging in takes days for some people.....imagine how hard it will be to actually complete this game :p

lolz

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The longevity in Diablo comes from your goals you want to complete. You can try to get all the achievments, or you can try to get the gear you want to be as geared as possible. They are adding arena based pvp in the coming patches, and beating the game on hardcore will be a fun challenge. Theres a reason people still play Diablo 2 to this day, it's fun to keep playing even after you beat it.

• Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

The Diablo-games always achieved longevity through randomization. While the length of the campaigns is indeed finite, these games tend to have a great degree of replayability through randomized dungeon layouts, randomized and unique treasures, quests and boss monsters.

When you play through an area a second time, with a different character there are generally considerable differences to the layout of the area, the enemies encountered therein and the loot received. This has generally kept the experience fresh enough to last for a pretty long time. Even then, it's achieved through multiple playthroughs with multiple characters, not by running around with the same one for years.

Originally posted by oubers

D3 will last for a long time.....logging in takes days for some people.....imagine how hard it will be to actually complete this game :p

lolz

troll tastic

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

Beat 4 difficulties with 5 classes.

Gather all the crazy items

Buy expansion.

That's how diablo 3 rolls..

Oh and it's longetivity also comes from the F-U-N.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

lolz

If that wasn't so true, it'd be a troll post.

As it stands, it was rather funny.

D3 is no MMO. I've played D2 on-and-off since the day it released, so I'd say D3 should have some good replayability.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TSameeTSamee Member Posts: 42

Picking up a copy in a couple of hours. To be honest, I really doubt there's going to be a dearth of content at launch considering the game's been in the works for twelve years or so. I know not all of that was full-on development time, but I think we'll be alright content-wise. Then again, I wasn't in the beta, so it might be best to check out what people are saying about the length of each Act there.

I do remember reading about the crafting system, though, which may prove a fun diversion. Something along the lines of being able to sell your crafted weapons to other players for actual currency, too. Now, that's largely irrelevant to me, but it does mean there won't be any mods for the game in the forseeable future since players would probably manipulate the crafting system with them. Looking at how much fun Median for D2 was, I'd really have preferred it without the microtransactions between players, but I suppose Blizzard makes more money this way.

The sheer amount of time Blizzard spent on this means we can look forward to at least one expansion, plus mods if they're sensible and capable of building a system to prevent trading items from modded sessions.

"Smacking kids doesn't hurt them, kinetic energy does!"- Doctor Tobia

fair warning, real money auction system requires a smartphone, app, paypal, and constant updates from your phone to bid, buy, or sell any items.  and blizzard takes a hefty bite of any profit.

so in the end, the real money part is completely useless imo, im not buying an iphone or something, paying the monthly bill, and creating a paypal account just to sell a max level drop for 5 dollars instead of gold in game.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

people still play Diablo 2 ...

nuff said

• DrifytDrifyt Member UncommonPosts: 27

lolz

You cant say that it hasnt been running  6 hrs yet :D

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

One diablo 3 is not a mmo. 2: its gonna have longliveity problems, since there is 0 reason to replay a class since all your skills and runes are handed to you at the same levels all the time, the game also lacks mod support, D3 also lacks randomized maps as well from what I have heard, though I haven;t checked since release. No user made content. Its why I bought torchlight 2 over diablo 3, its just a MUCH much better game due to modding and such. Though I might pick up diablo 3 for now just to tie me over till torchlight 2, then i'll trash d3 like the dumbed down, stupid-proofed to hell piece o'shit it is. I got money to burn and nothing else to spend it on atm really.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DrifytDrifyt Member UncommonPosts: 27

The maps are random, I know this becuase the fields of misery are totally different to how they where when i logged out last night after a bout of co-op play. The events are also random. its a fun game I'm actualy enjoying it, but whilst I enjoyed torchlight and will buy torchlight 2, I never thought it was as good as Diablo, but thats just an opinion.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

clearly no one above has played Diablo before .

Diablo games are ACTION RPG

Which means they have alot of action via large amount of monsters attacking you in which you are super powerful and can deal with them all unlike WOW where you fight 1-3 things at once,  in Diablo you can fight 10 things at once .

RPG because there are statisicals and you can upgrade gear to better stats etc and play the role of your character since there are small quests and story line.

The reason this game lasts a long time is because it becomes a GEAR grind in the end game . To get best gear inorder to improve your character . However unlike WOW which is zzzz , Diablo is a bit faster paced action .

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

First post, Hi!!

There is no longevity.  its a crying shame that a repetitive, grinding, linear game which isnt even an MMO gets so much attention. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

@OP

You can always group with friends, farm items (some will be motivated by RMAH), and PvP will be in soon. There is about as much to do as any MMO, cept maybe raiding, grinding factions, stuff like that. 

Also, I would be willing to bet our national deficit that an expansion will hit at some point. Longevity? Well, D2 is still going. So if we use that as some sort of reference point, I think a conservative guess would be D3 will be strong for at least 5 years.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Zylaxx

First post, Hi!!

There is no longevity unless you're a Bnet kiddie or a WoW fanboi.  Games like that cater to the lowest common denominator and have zero replayability which is why WoW has 10 million subs.  I find it a crying shame that a silly repetitive, grinding, linear game which isnt even an MMO to get so much playtime here.  I am begining to wonder if this site shouldnt be labled ARPG.com instead of MMORPG.com.

There are some features of the game that make it mmo like. For example, the chat system (which has multiple channels, including a general chat) and the fact that there are cross-server battletags (friends lists). In some ways, its more mmo than even mmos are. Many mmo's you cant tell if a friend is playing on another server...in D3, you can.

Still, its ok not to like the game. :) Your comments dont detour me one bit. This is a fantastic game...but with more fans than probably all other mmo's on this site combined (save WoW), dont you think it would be silly for mmorpg not to cover Diablo 3? Or maybe you just aren't interested in anything being successful...community, website, games...BAH HUMBUG

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

will D3 last long? Here is your answer...

Diablo 2 is sill up n running strong....

any more questions?

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Zylaxx

First post, Hi!!

There is no longevity unless you're a Bnet kiddie or a WoW fanboi.  Games like that cater to the lowest common denominator and have zero replayability which is why WoW has 10 million subs.  I find it a crying shame that a silly repetitive, grinding, linear game which isnt even an MMO to get so much playtime here.  I am begining to wonder if this site shouldnt be labled ARPG.com instead of MMORPG.com.

i imagined you shaking your fist in the air as you typed this

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Originally posted by Siveria

One diablo 3 is not a mmo. 2: its gonna have longliveity problems, since there is 0 reason to replay a class since all your skills and runes are handed to you at the same levels all the time, the game also lacks mod support, D3 also lacks randomized maps as well from what I have heard, though I haven;t checked since release. No user made content. Its why I bought torchlight 2 over diablo 3, its just a MUCH much better game due to modding and such. Though I might pick up diablo 3 for now just to tie me over till torchlight 2, then i'll trash d3 like the dumbed down, stupid-proofed to hell piece o'shit it is. I got money to burn and nothing else to spend it on atm really.

That is pretty bad ass, buy a game then stop playing it. What's next running with scissors?

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

lolz

If that wasn't so true, it'd be a troll post.

As it stands, it was rather funny.

D3 is no MMO. I've played D2 on-and-off since the day it released, so I'd say D3 should have some good replayability.

How is it true if the game hasn't even been out for days yet? The IQ of users on this forum seems to be dropping at a faster rate as time passes.