Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you even play Diablo 2?

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I see so many people complaining about how easy the beta content was. I just have one question:

If you died in Act 1 in Diablo 2 (outside of lag which was fierce at launch) then there are no words to describe that lol. You had a hard time killing blood raven?

I saw the presentation they did about the game difficulties and they were spot on. They even showed a video of someone in the blood moor and how painfully easy it was.

Outside of Duriel and Diablo, the entire normal campaign for Diablo 2 was cake. It's supposed to be like that, it's 'normal'.

I'm too lazy to look for the video, but I think it would serve well to a lot of the misinformed D3 haters buzzing about.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

People are judging this game by normal mode.  I bet half of them dont even know how insanely difficult inferno will be.  Or playing on a perma-die character.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I don't understand why they don't just keep playing Diablo 2. That way they are happy and the people that want to play D3 don't have to listen to all the griping.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I have to disagree with you.

I remember first playing Diablo 2 and I'll admit it. Andariel's poison damage managed to kill me the first couple of times. It's true...but I deserve some credit for admitting it....right? Come to think of it... I'm sure The Smith also got me. It was a long time ago.... I don't remember but it seems likely.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Dying at release wasn't entirely uncommon because you would walk into the jail, lag for a second, then the smith is standing over your dead body :).

I remember the horrors of trying to load Duriel's little chamber before she destroyed you lol.

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73

I remember running into Rakanishu the first time on my first character, instant death by electricity!

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

In all honesty, OP, the first act of D2 was kinda hard my first time through while getting used to the game. I died a few times at Blood Raven, and Andariel wiped the floor with me a few times as well. I probably wouldn't die now, but there's a good chance I might get caught off guard at some point, and it might happen. That being said, I expect the same to come from the rest of Act 1 in D3 once it's actually released. Up to Skeleton King isn't hard, but I expect at least a couple deaths in Act 1, but, maybe not since they said it's a tutorial this time around.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I remember I was pissed cuz I saved right before the Butcher 1 shot me. Had to restart lol.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I played D2 a little over 5 years, got no complaints about my experience in the D3 open beta, was wonderful.

Cant freakin wait for tuesday. 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

It isnt about Diablo 3. It's about Blizzard. Activision-Blizzard. Damn their greed and uhm....stocks....and uhm....call of duty. You know, whatever.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by helthros

I see so many people complaining about how easy the beta content was. I just have one question:

If you died in Act 1 in Diablo 2 (outside of lag which was fierce at launch) then there are no words to describe that lol. You had a hard time killing blood raven?

I saw the presentation they did about the game difficulties and they were spot on. They even showed a video of someone in the blood moor and how painfully easy it was.

Outside of Duriel and Diablo, the entire normal campaign for Diablo 2 was cake. It's supposed to be like that, it's 'normal'.

I'm too lazy to look for the video, but I think it would serve well to a lot of the misinformed D3 haters buzzing about.

I played but it was all single player and I dont remember it much.  I do plan on picking up D3 though because I fell in love with the fast queeing of the multiplayer experience during the open beta weekend.  Still havnt decided what I am playing though.  torn between a Witch Doctor or a Demon Hunter.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Zergy

I remember running into Rakanishu the first time on my first character, instant death by electricity!

This, although I had died several times already. Once in the second area where there was an Unique Shaman Fallen (the ones that ress and shoot fireballs). He kind of overwhelmed me on my necromancer. Same goes for the cave in the second area. An Unique Rogue, cold enchanted, just pelted me away. Then indeed, Rananishu, bloody lightning enchanted bastard.

Diablo 3 was not hard compared with that. Not to say that Diablo 2 was hard, but from what I've seen in the demo of Diablo 3, the abilities on the Unique Monsters were quite limited. I have seen Teleport and Extra speed or something. That's pretty much it. No bullshitty lightning enchanted, etc. I'm sure Diablo 3 will pick up in difficulty after the Skeleton King.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by MikkelB

This, although I had died several times already. Once in the second area where there was an Unique Shaman Fallen (the ones that ress and shoot fireballs). He kind of overwhelmed me on my necromancer. Same goes for the cave in the second area. An Unique Rogue, cold enchanted, just pelted me away. Then indeed, Rananishu, bloody lightning enchanted bastard.

Diablo 3 was not hard compared with that. Not to say that Diablo 2 was hard, but from what I've seen in the demo of Diablo 3, the abilities on the Unique Monsters were quite limited. I have seen Teleport and Extra speed or something. That's pretty much it. No bullshitty lightning enchanted, etc. I'm sure Diablo 3 will pick up in difficulty after the Skeleton King.

This is why you need to delve further into the information at our disposal. Blizzard have already covered this in a Blizzcon video, explaining how the champions etc not only get more skills to use but also different ones (Just to name an example). They even use D2 as reference at some point. There is so much more than we saw in the beta......

If people are gonna use the beta, and JUST the beta to make up their minds about D3, then they werent interested in the game to begin with.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Chrisbox

People are judging this game by normal mode.  I bet half of them dont even know how insanely difficult inferno will be.  Or playing on a perma-die character.

Yeah i cant wait for INFERNO !!!!

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

At release Diablo 2 was more challenging at the beginning than it is nowadays, some mobs have changed since then and items were less powerful. Bishibosh, Blood raven, Rakanishu, Griswold, Treehead woodfist, The countess, The Smith, Andariel were all more challenging than anything in the D3 beta along with many of the potential rare spawns imo.

I have no idea how challenging D3 will be later on since they've only shown the tutorial but the beta was very easy.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Originally posted by MikkelB

This, although I had died several times already. Once in the second area where there was an Unique Shaman Fallen (the ones that ress and shoot fireballs). He kind of overwhelmed me on my necromancer. Same goes for the cave in the second area. An Unique Rogue, cold enchanted, just pelted me away. Then indeed, Rakanishu, bloody lightning enchanted bastard.

This is why you need to delve further into the information at our disposal. Blizzard have already covered this in a Blizzcon video, explaining how the champions etc not only get more skills to use but also different ones (Just to name an example). They even use D2 as reference at some point. There is so much more than we saw in the beta......

If people are gonna use the beta, and JUST the beta to make up their minds about D3, then they werent interested in the game to begin with.

I'm going slightly off topic, I was more refering to the fact that people compare the Diablo 3 beta with Act 1 of Diablo 2 and the first few levels if Diablo, even the demo of Diablo. Compared to that it's just easier. I know that Diablo 3 will be harder later on, I'm not even disputing that. I'm curious if their statement is true, that they doubled the difficulty at Inferno at the point where their testteam got stuck.

The thing is, people could play for a few hours in Diablo 3 and with that they got a taste of the game. No matter what anyway says about the rest of the game, those who played have already formed some opinion about the game, even though a lot is still unknown at this moment. But no matter what anyone claims, people will still judge from what they have experienced themselves. No amount of Blizzard video's or interviews can make up for that.

In a way it's pretty funny though. On the forums of MMORPG.com some people always say that you can only judge a game well after playing it and then you should at least give it a try. People now played the Diablo 3 beta, found it easy, posted that on the forums and lo and behold: "IT WILL GET BETTER LATER ON!". It's a Blizzard game, so I don't doubt it will get harder later on, but still, I find this pretty funny image

Lastly, you are wrong by the way about it being a beta. It was more like a demo, a trial version. A specific amount of game, well polished to impress players. In my case, Diablo 3 succeeded.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Foncl

At release Diablo 2 was more challenging at the beginning than it is nowadays, some mobs have changed since then and items were less powerful. Bishibosh, Blood raven, Rakanishu, Griswold, Treehead woodfist, The countess, The Smith, Andariel were all more challenging than anything in the D3 beta along with many of the potential rare spawns imo.

I have no idea how challenging D3 will be later on since they've only shown the tutorial but the beta was very easy.

They've said that if you hit max level and you do not farm Hell for items, you will have your ass handed to you when you enter Inferno. And also Inferno will be scaled differently and be increasingly hard (you'll have to farm the first areas of Inferno to be able to progress thru the harder areas)

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by simmihi

They've said that if you hit max level and you do not farm Hell for items, you will have your ass handed to you when you enter Inferno. And also Inferno will be scaled differently and be increasingly hard (you'll have to farm the first areas of Inferno to be able to progress thru the harder areas)

Level 60 will be trivial compared to level 99 in D2. There is no ladder and leveling in D3 is not intended to be difficult at all.  And later you will be able to buy a full set of top gear in the RMAH when you ding 60... No need to farm if you can spend some money instead. At least if the RMAH is open when you ding 60. And there will be gear for sale in the gold-AH also. People will want to skip "Hell farming" and start farming Inferno ASAP.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Diablo 2 was such a step backwards from Diablo 1. They took a simple fun game and turned it into a huge boring slog. It was rarely difficult but always tedious.

Funny, comparing Diablo 2 with Diablo the latter is way more of a snorefest then the former. I finished Diablo on a warrior, which meant that my "class skill" was rubish. For the rest I only needed the left-mousebutton. The rest of the gameplay was slaughtering minions and finding the stairs down. Rince and repeat.

Diablo 2 had me using more skills, exploring more and customizing more. It had more loot too, so for me it's hard to see how Diablo 2 was a step backwards compared to the first part.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Judging from the posts, the OP was right about those shouting its too easy.

My biggest challenge was my weak computer and dial up in D2, which mean't I died to even the weakest of beasties, but fast reliable broadband and an i5 k chippy awaits D3. :)

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

I really don't think anyone who knew anything about the game would complain about the beta difficulty. If they did know anything then they would realise that the beta is as easy as it gets and the game (hopefully) becomes so difficult they will be crying to Blizz to make it easier.

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

Originally posted by BizkitNL

It isnt about Diablo 3. It's about Blizzard. Activision-Blizzard. Damn their greed and uhm....stocks....and uhm....call of duty. You know, whatever.

I have to say, on some level i actually agree with the haters (OMFG whats happening here!?!) and would love to stick it to the "man".

The problem is, as far as gamers go(and i've seen this time and time again) the ones making the most noise against a particular game, are usually the 1st in line to buy the said game. Cause you know, if you didn't care about something, you wouldn't bother wasting your breath(or time on teh interwebz) on it.

And while i don't usually like his attitude, Jim Sterling pretty much nails it in this video about Boycotts, where a bunch of people call for the boycott of CoD on steam and then are the very first people playing it when it goes live.

So in the end i'd rather just see what i like in a game and buy it beacuse it's good and not give a shit if the people making it are baby eating monsters. Cause it's only on boards like these, that people actually care whether you play a particular game or not. Nowhere else in the real world does it actually make a difference, as has been proved time and time again. 

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I totally smashed D2 first act with my sorcerer . I went through heaps of potions for mana .

The comparing D3 skeleton king to Andariel is wrong since it isnt the end of Act 1 boss .

Skeleton King = Blood Raven .

Blood Raven was a piece of cake . The shamans reviving the dead were annoying more than anything . Wasnt really too hard untill you got into the Jail .

However in Act 2 , I remember dying to Duriel about 20 times , but up till then I was 1 shotting every mob .

Act 3 was easy too  only died a few times .

The entire Normal Mode on my Sorcerer I completed in about 2 days last week .

When I got to Nightmare mode things got quite alot harder :)