Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does PvE character progression mean to you?

CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Because I'm a sucker for drama I've been soaking up the energy in the GW2 forums since the first BWE and one thing has struck me and I thought it deserved a wider audience, the carrot on the stick progression system that MMO's have implemented for many many years to keep players playing. Now from what I gather GW2 has a form of this in the skill point, cosmetic gear and titles system but it doesn't have the traditional faction, gear grind and raiding systems that many other MMO's have and a few guys have concernns of this as being something that will ultimately turn off many PvE'ers once they finish all the leveling content but the supporters of Arenanet's attempt to change this traditional system say that this will not be a proiblem and that the tradition "endgame" activities need to be changed for the genre to grow.

Now I'm not saying who's right or wrong because I don't play MMO's for endgame I'm an altaholic and repeat lots of low end content but I do understand the like of continued progression that is meaningful to players like AA's, Housing, Crafting rare things, Collections, Achievemnts and the allure of tight nit raiding guilds that compete with other guilds over first kills creating great social atomspheres which is the whole point of MMO's to many and can see the point of the concerns with GW2 progression systems be enough as it seems much of it is just cosmetic. So I'm really asking how do you the general MMO player like your character progression serverd up? If I've not covered an endgame activity in my poll please say. image

This idea was mainly formed from reading a thread from Lord.Bachus so credit to him.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Comments

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

post deleted

• UniversumUniversum Member Posts: 39

Gaining Levels, Beating Meaningful Baddies, Learning New Spells, Advancing Attractive Story, Getting Better Equipment...

Then again, I'm thinking about my two favorite games writting that, Earthbound and Shining Force II, non-MMOs.

I don't really look for anything in MMOs... every MMO I've played has been fun so yeah, doesn't matter to me.  Everything in my life comes down to one thing... "I listen to awesome music".

Heh

:D 

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

what's progression ? I thought RPGs were about story and  unrolling a fantasy tale.  I guess I could say a PvE character meets its max potential when it has finished the main storyline.  Its kind of weird because in most MMOs today it is hard to figure out which quest is your main storyline.

Killing x number y cant be my main story can it?

-I am here to perform logic

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

PvE progression means changing how your character plays compared to everyone else.  

For a skill based game slightly modifying skills and/or min/maxing them in other ways, In classed based games modifying your combat routine + getting gear to change ability numbers around a bit.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."