Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7 920 @ 4Ghz...Decent?

sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

having played BF3 on ultra lately after getting my gtx 570, and then the GW2 beta, the cpu usages gave me bit a scare. so i OC'd my 920 to 4.0Ghz after getting a new cooler (i was only able to OC it to 3.5 previously).

im just wondering how this speed compares to the newer processors on the market now. i really dont want to get a new motherboard/chip for at least another year. thanks

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by sonoggi

the cpu usages gave me bit a scare.

What do you mean by that?  Did you find some game where your processor wasn't fast enough?

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

well i find BF3 uses ~90% of all the cores most of the time, and GW2 is CPU-intensive albeit unoptimized. so no, i wouldnt say there are games that the 920 cant handle, but im just curious how it compares to the newer processors. if the newer ones are way ahead, i may consider upgrading earlier.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

4Ghz is fine for now, hold onto it until at least the hex core/octo core Ive Bridge stuff comes out.

well i find BF3 uses ~90% of all the cores most of the time, and GW2 is CPU-intensive albeit unoptimized. so no, i wouldnt say there are games that the 920 cant handle, but im just curious how it compares to the newer processors. if the newer ones are way ahead, i may consider upgrading earlier.

All that means is that BF3 scales well to many cores and the game is processor bound rather than video card bound at the settings you're using.  If you're processor bound at 20 frames per second, it's a problem, but if it's giving you 100 frames per second, there's no need to overclock the processor in response.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Zezda

4Ghz is fine for now, hold onto it until at least the hex core/octo core Ive Bridge stuff comes out.

Arent the hexcore ones the $1000 extreme line from intel?  6 cores with hyperthreading o.o  Thats pretty expensive

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

You wont find a game that most I7s cant handle for a few years.  The biggest bottle neck for almost every PC is Hard Drive first > Video Card 2nd > Ram 3rd > I7 CPU Last.

Originally posted by Castillle

Originally posted by Zezda

Arent the hexcore ones the $1000 extreme line from intel?  6 cores with hyperthreading o.o  Thats pretty expensive

There might not ever be six or eight core Ivy Bridge processors.  Sandy Bridge-E launched late last year, nearly a year after Sandy Bridge quad cores.  By the time a hypothetical Ivy Bridge-E might be ready to launch, it might make more sense for Intel to use Haswell cores instead.  A claimed leaked roadmap shows Haswell launching in the first half of 2013, while Sandy Bridge-E remains Intel's high end for desktops through the middle of 2013.

• fissehansfissehans Member Posts: 25

Post specs please - since I have the same CPU running non-clocked and would like to hear more on the OCing.

Also, please elaborate on performance in GW2, i didnt feel that much hardware lag.

Good to know the 920 was a good investment. It was only oc'd at 3.5 ghz for the gw2 beta. The game ran well in the open world, Divinity's Reach and Black Citadel, but my fps were really bad in Lion's Arch and Halbrek. I also have a gtx 570 that I bought specifically for better visuals in bf3 and for gw2. 6gb DDR3 ram. Not sure about the hard drive

I oc'd the 920 because I read it was fairly easy to do, and other than having to install a new heat sink, it was. My 920 tends to run really hot, but now it's stable in the low 70's at 100% load. Let me know if you need more details. I did notice a very slight fps increase in bf3, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with gw2 after the optimizations.

You guys think the ram might be bottlenecking me? I also have to look up what HD I have.
  • fissehansfissehans Member Posts: 25

Good to know the 920 was a good investment. It was only oc'd at 3.5 ghz for the gw2 beta. The game ran well in the open world, Divinity's Reach and Black Citadel, but my fps were really bad in Lion's Arch and Halbrek. I also have a gtx 570 that I bought specifically for better visuals in bf3 and for gw2. 6gb DDR3 ram. Not sure about the hard drive

I oc'd the 920 because I read it was fairly easy to do, and other than having to install a new heat sink, it was. My 920 tends to run really hot, but now it's stable in the low 70's at 100% load. Let me know if you need more details. I did notice a very slight fps increase in bf3, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with gw2 after the optimizations.

You guys think the ram might be bottlenecking me? I also have to look up what HD I have.

Well, i run this setup:

MB: EX58-UD5, 12 gigs of ram 1600mhz and the same GFX as you 570GT. With no load my temp is around 50 celsius and with 100% between 70 and 80. I dont recall lags in LA. However, i believe I had some hardware issues once and awhile. Also, remember your drivers are very important with GW2 for your GFX card, furthermore its more CPU based than GPU.

Which cooler did you get? - Im considering a new one and I dont know if I should go for liquid cooling.

Also, I dont think your problem lies in the ram, unless its slow ram(?)

I had the cooler master v8 originally, and it was such a mess due to the mounting system. I got a cooler master hyper 212 ego with two 120mm fans, one pulling cold air from bottom, the other pushing hot air to the top. Really happy with it, probably some of the best and simplest air cooling you can get. I didn't feel like messing around too much, I just wanted to get to 4.0. I'd recommend liquid though.

My ram is corsair dominator ddr3 , I think it's good quality. Just wondering if I needed more.

I ran gw2 on Max everything and aa on, shadows on high.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

having played BF3 on ultra lately after getting my gtx 570, and then the GW2 beta, the cpu usages gave me bit a scare. so i OC'd my 920 to 4.0Ghz after getting a new cooler (i was only able to OC it to 3.5 previously).
    im just wondering how this speed compares to the newer processors on the market now. i really dont want to get a new motherboard/chip for at least another year. thanks

Lol don't makes alot differents 3.5ghz or 4.0ghz most games run perfectly on default settings of 920 also plus it all comes on how you have set up and config your pc.

90% of games are dx9 games some have dx10 implementations and few have DX11 but are not full DX11 games only battlefield3.

I rather have good videocard then super overclocked cpu that also at risk of give errors or burnout.

Your ram is influenced by your OC cpu also take that also in concideration.

GW2 was CPU limited so even when you had a beast of rig your fps would be low anyway in beta right now.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I have a 920 DO and it was OC'd to 4.1 when I bought it through OveclockersUK.  now somehow I have got it at its factory default of 2.67,  I want to OC it again but not ever done overclocking before and not wanting to damage my pc as I don't have the spare cash to replace anything if it goes wrong.

Is there a step by step guide to doing this for newbs like me? Ive tried utube vids but any I found have terrible tutorials or have music blaring that I cant hear or understand the broken English, why people that make them vids and add heavy metal music blasting to them is beyond me.  Other Vids tend to be all geek talk and is way over my head.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by biggarfoot

I have a 920 DO and it was OC'd to 4.1 when I bought it through OveclockersUK.  now somehow I have got it at its factory default of 2.67,  I want to OC it again but not ever done overclocking before and not wanting to damage my pc as I don't have the spare cash to replace anything if it goes wrong.

Is there a step by step guide to doing this for newbs like me? Ive tried utube vids but any I found have terrible tutorials or have music blaring that I cant hear or understand the broken English, why people that make them vids and add heavy metal music blasting to them is beyond me.  Other Vids tend to be all geek talk and is way over my head.

Best place to ask that if you want continuous help would be the forums of the shop you bought the chip, OcUK forums are chocka block with overclockers who've been doing it for as long as the store has been open and beyond. I skipped that generation of CPU's so it's hard to judge but this guide from another site seems straight forward after reading it through.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Best place to ask that if you want continuous help would be the forums of the shop you bought the chip, OcUK forums are chocka block with overclockers who've been doing it for as long as the store has been open and beyond. I skipped that generation of CPU's so it's hard to judge but this guide from another site seems straight forward after reading it through.

Thank you Kabaal. I noticed they talk about increasing the Vcore, mine is at .95 V but no mention of the rail voltages, I guess these don't need to be touched?  I did go into the Bios and OCUK have a profile in my BIOS, but when trying to load it it does nothing obvious that I can see, not to my cpu speed anyway.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

If speedstep is enabled then CPUZ will be reading your idle clocks, you need to make it work for it to bump up to the speedstep boost.

i used the guide Kabaal posted. you really cant go wrong, just go step by step. i was not able to get a stable OC until i hit 1.32V. the person who wrote the guide added that the newer D0's are built differently and require higher voltages than the earlier D0's.

secondly, you'll need decent cooling. as i mentioned i couldnt get the OC stable until i got a new heatsink. the i7's run really hot, but you dont want your temps to be above 80 generally. i settled for 70-75 degrees at 100% load, but the temps rarely go above 68 degrees when i play BF3.

i stabilized my OC using the 19x multiplier, as i was getting a lot of BSOD's with the 21x. good luck.

thanks for all the posts. i did not know that GW2 was CPU "capped", makes me feel better.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have a 3,2 ghz Hexacore and was actually surprised how well it ran GW2. I was going to OC it as well, but saw no need for it.

My specs are:

AMD 3,2 ghz x6 PHII

8 gig DDR3 1600 ram

Geforce 480 GTX

Main drive: 4 raided Intel X-25 SSDs (I need to change them out as soon as I get some money, a single new SSD is actually faster).

I don't think your problem really is the hardware, even if clocking up the CPU is a good way to be sure. My guess is instead that you  have crap in the background clogging you up. You have great hardware and even if GW2 actually supports my 6 cores you should not really have worse performance than me besides loading times.

I recommend the following things to do:

1. Update your graphics drivers to the latest ones.

2. Check out what programs that start up with windows. Take away anything you don't need running always, the more junk starting up with your computer the worse it is. If you don't how to do that, use an easy free program like: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

3. Run Lavasofts Add aware to get rid off spyware and similar crap that leeches of your system.

Using a program that clears out the register helps as well. Easycleaner above can do it, but the function isn't perfect in W7. There are a bunch of other programs that does it good though.

A clean computer is a fast computer. :)

And GW2 will most likely run a lot better after the release, games in betas tend to not run at optimal speed and usually have extra stuff in the background they wont have after release.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I was running GW2 BWE on a i7 920 at 3.85 Ghz, with a 6970, no overclock.

I had everything except the broken DOF on at 1920x1200 - game ran great (except the random West bug). I didn't FRAPS for framerates, but I never noticed any significant slowdowns or stutters. Then again, for me, I'm happy with a solid 30 FPS in most MMOs (I am not a twitch player).

I did not get into any situations where there were more than about 30-40 characters on the screen at a time. So that could make a difference, I don't know - but if the game runs well with that many people, and then utterly breaks down with a few more, it sounds more like an optimization problem than a hardware issue.