Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

**An Open Letter to the TESO Developers**

13»

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

First, I'd like to present to you your own words towards the product you're currently working on:

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

Second, I'd like to say that NOTHING in this open letter to you, the developers of TESO, is based on any recent information that may or may not be true about your product as products like yours will shift & change over time through its development. However, this letter is more of a broad "this is what you NEED to know" about the product you're making, and more importantly whom your product is meant for.

With these words as the proverbial centerpiece to this letter let me lay out the success for your product in no uncertain terms from the perspective of the fans to the Elder Scrolls franchise.

The Elder Scrolls Franchise has been, at its core, concentrated on providing the highest of quality Sandbox singleplayer "Role Playing Games" ever since 1996 with Daggerfall. Since Daggerfall we've seen MANY variations of the Elder Scrolls series that has absolutely decimated any other RPG on the market in its time to at the very least an enjoyable adventure singled around one particular group, The Fans!

Who are "The Fans" of the Elder Scrolls series you might ask? Well, it's actually quite clear once you realize what they're not. "The Fans" are not interested in easy linear quest based mouse mazes that hold your hand from place to place. "The Fans" are not interested in "Gear Score", "Dungeon Raid Weekends", or "PvP Arenas". To put it bluntly, we are NOT interested in another SWTOR. If you think going the easy route that, quite frankly, decimated the StarWars IP for the next 10yrs you've got another thing coming to you.

We want an immersive recreation of, at the very least, a product on par with the Morrowind release of The Elder Scrolls in an MMO form. That means NO instances, NO Battlegrounds, No hand-held linear questing, and NO GEAR SCORE with a giant pulsating "DPS =" indicator on our character sheet. 

You must understand, you're making a product centered around a VERY specific mindset, and changing that product to fit ANOTHER mindset that had no inclination toward your product to begin with is quite simply a failure in the making. So, if all you're going to hand to the fans is something similar to the current iteration of MMOs that have come out in the past 10years as the "End all Be All" MMO aimed at "Taking a chunk out of WoW's subscriber count" you can go ahead and cancel your product right now. 

"The Fans" won't buy it, and something tells me the "other" audience isn't too interested in an Elder Scrolls based on something they KNOW is more fleshed, and quite frankly if they wanted a copy of something they'll play the original.

Thank you for reading, and if this letter has come off as hostile I deeply apologize. Fans have a tendency to be passionate with their favorite franchises, and more so against them being tarnished :)

Sincerely,

-A TES Fan

Well said ! im wish the developers see and take this letter in mind.

I do as well :)! I've tried emailing them a link to it, but I'm fairly certain it'll just get lost in the massive pile of mail they're receiving right now anyways :/!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

First, I'd like to present to you your own words towards the product you're currently working on:

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

Second, I'd like to say that NOTHING in this open letter to you, the developers of TESO, is based on any recent information that may or may not be true about your product as products like yours will shift & change over time through its development. However, this letter is more of a broad "this is what you NEED to know" about the product you're making, and more importantly whom your product is meant for.

With these words as the proverbial centerpiece to this letter let me lay out the success for your product in no uncertain terms from the perspective of the fans to the Elder Scrolls franchise.

The Elder Scrolls Franchise has been, at its core, concentrated on providing the highest of quality Sandbox singleplayer "Role Playing Games" ever since 1996 with Daggerfall. Since Daggerfall we've seen MANY variations of the Elder Scrolls series that has absolutely decimated any other RPG on the market in its time to at the very least an enjoyable adventure singled around one particular group, The Fans!

Who are "The Fans" of the Elder Scrolls series you might ask? Well, it's actually quite clear once you realize what they're not. "The Fans" are not interested in easy linear quest based mouse mazes that hold your hand from place to place. "The Fans" are not interested in "Gear Score", "Dungeon Raid Weekends", or "PvP Arenas". To put it bluntly, we are NOT interested in another SWTOR. If you think going the easy route that, quite frankly, decimated the StarWars IP for the next 10yrs you've got another thing coming to you.

We want an immersive recreation of, at the very least, a product on par with the Morrowind release of The Elder Scrolls in an MMO form. That means NO instances, NO Battlegrounds, No hand-held linear questing, and NO GEAR SCORE with a giant pulsating "DPS =" indicator on our character sheet. 

You must understand, you're making a product centered around a VERY specific mindset, and changing that product to fit ANOTHER mindset that had no inclination toward your product to begin with is quite simply a failure in the making. So, if all you're going to hand to the fans is something similar to the current iteration of MMOs that have come out in the past 10years as the "End all Be All" MMO aimed at "Taking a chunk out of WoW's subscriber count" you can go ahead and cancel your product right now. 

"The Fans" won't buy it, and something tells me the "other" audience isn't too interested in an Elder Scrolls based on something they KNOW is more fleshed, and quite frankly if they wanted a copy of something they'll play the original.

Thank you for reading, and if this letter has come off as hostile I deeply apologize. Fans have a tendency to be passionate with their favorite franchises, and more so against them being tarnished :)

Sincerely,

-A TES Fan

I do as well :)! I've tried emailing them a link to it, but I'm fairly certain it'll just get lost in the massive pile of mail they're receiving right now anyways :/!

TESO Dev - "Another one for the trash!"

They probably already have a roadmap that is pretty much set in stone, don't get your hopes up.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Sincerely,

-A TES Fan

One can only hope.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

FadedBomb

Time to quit posting, you're at 1337 posts!

Great job!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

This game has been in development for years already and is due out next year.. This wont accomplish anything.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

"First" should't you insure that the correct people will see this? Are you so certain that they are even looking at this site?

I just went to the Elderscrolls forums and with the exception of some short posts here and there, there really isn't anything. No long threads such as those found on mmorpg.com

Maybe if people reached out to the developers and said "hey, are you aware that there is some friction concerning your announcement"?

Because, even though things might not change, it seem more like venting for the sake of venting if the very people who you are directing your ire toward never actually see this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I wonder if we should just label this TESOTANIC and get that out of the way.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Sovrath

"First" should't you insure that the correct people will see this? Are you so certain that they are even looking at this site?

I just went to the Elderscrolls forums and with the exception of some short posts here and there, there really isn't anything. No long threads such as those found on mmorpg.com

Maybe if people reached out to the developers and said "hey, are you aware that there is some friction concerning your announcement"?

Because, even though things might not change, it seem more like venting for the sake of venting if the very people who you are directing your ire toward never actually see this.

Done :]

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.