Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a Sandbox game? No FPS style combat? No FFA PvP setting?

Comments

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    1) No because the higher level quests don't scale you up, except in WvW, you just scale down to the lower level quests.  Not the same.  In TES you go anywhere you like and do what you like, when you like.  There's no necessity to follow questlines in order to level, nor do you ever need to grind.

This just in, Fallout New Vegas is not a sand box because it doesn't scale you. Just try to go straight north right away.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

• The game will adhere to genre standards like classes, experience points, and progression. The player will gain experience by slaying enemies, exploring the world, and completing quests or objectives within the world. (GI1),(GI11)
    • Elder Scrolls Online is designed to provide an experience that feels familiar to fans of the single player games, while providing deep and challenging MMO mechanics for veterans of the genre. (GI2)
    • The game world consists of most of the continent of Tamriel. Including the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, Elsweyr, Hammerfell, and Cyrodiil. (GI1),(GSE3)
    • Not all provinces will be fully included at launch, in order to reserve ares for use in game expansions. Zenimax Online wants to adhere to a high standard of quality for the areas which are included at release, therefore certain areas will be initially unexplorable.(GI1)
    • Players are restricted to exploring the lands of only their own faction, as well as the contested RvR area of Cyrodiil.(TWIT)
    • The in-game map will mark key locations, quests, and places of interest. Many caves, ruins, or dungeons will not become marked on the map until they are discovered by the player, or described by an NPC. (GI1)
    • A compass will help direct the player towards nearby towns, dungeons, and places of interest, this feature is intended to preserve the feeling of a traditional single player TES experience. The compass is one of many UI elements which may be disabled if the player prefers. (ME3),(GI8)
    • Key “touchstones” of the Elder Scrolls IP will all be present in the MMO. Daedric princes, eight divines (no Talos in TESO!), constellations, and spell schools will all be familiar elements. (GI3)
    • There will be a level cap, and ZOS expects it to take an average player approximately 120 hours of game-play to reach the cap. (GI1)
    • Quest areas are phased, such that depending on a player’s progress through the game’s story arcs he or she may experience a modified version of towns, dungeons, and NPCs. In order to avoid many of the past pitfalls of phased content, ZOS is allowing any player who has previously completed a story arc to repeat the content with friends. (GI1)
    • The Elder Scrolls Online cannot use the same real-time combat model that has been a feature of recent TES games. There are important technical reasons why this is not feasible, ranging from network latency to client security and cheating prevention. In order to preserve as much of the real-time “feel” as possible, the game’s combat focuses around the opportunistic use of a stamina bar which allows the player to sprint, block, interrupt, and escape crowd control. By selectively using these strategic abilities, combat in TES:O feels dynamic, despite adhering to turn-based fundamentals which are critical to MMO design. All classes have access to block, sprint, and crouch. (GI1),(PCG1)
    • A side effect of the stamina system is that groups are somewhat less restricted to utilizing rigid roles in composition. Since all players have the ability to block and escape crowd control, players are more responsible for their personal well-being and less reliant on a dedicated healer to carry them through fire. (GI1)
    • Almost all of the iconic opponents from previous Elder Scrolls games will be present in TESO, including daedra, giants, and mudcrabs! Each monster type has its own unique and distinct behaviors. (GI11),(PCG1)
    • “Aggro” tables of NPC enemies are less rigidly defined, and they may systematically switch targets in combat. This further emphasizes the need for players to assert personal responsibility for defending themselves in combat, rather than relying on traditional aggro management. (GI1)
    • Enemies are designed individually pose a challenge, and be more than “speedbumps” in the player’s quest. Groups of foes will work collectively to support each other and use control abilities to counter a player party. The behaviors of enemies in PvE are designed to mirror player classes. The same abilities and mechanics are therefore important for both PvE and PvP. It is an important design goal that combat versus monsters has the same feel as combat versus players. Monster AI is also designed to emulate player behavior; ranged attackers will fan out, sturdy meleers will protect fragile casters, and healers will seek cover behind other mobs. (GI1),(GI10),(PCG1)
    • It has been hinted that Lycanthropy and Vampirisim may be possible to contract in TES:O, although this has not been explicitly confirmed. (G4E3),(GSE3)

• Character advancement will revolve largely around “hubless quest design” in order to preserve the sense of freeform exploration and progression which is an iconic feature of the Elder Scrolls. The game uses focal “points of interest” which are self-contained adventure modules that players may encounter during their travels. Townsfolk will direct players towards nearby POIs, but Zenimax Online is trying to shy away from quest hubs and breadcrumb chains. Many NPCs can direct the player to the same quest, so the player can easily find nearby quests without needing floating exclamation marks or strategy guides. (GI1),(GI8)
    • The main story line of the game is balanced to be completely soloable, although the game is tailored to provide a social community experience. (ME3),(PCG1)
    • Many quests are simple bite-sized adventures, however there are also quest sagas which span entire zones and tell grand tales which reveal segments of the overarching plot line of the game. (GI1)
    • There exist certain quest choices which mold your character as a result of your decisions. The outcome of certain quests will cause a tangible impact on areas of the world. (G4E3),(GI8)
    • Speechcraft exists in the game, and can be used to “short-circuit” or sidestep certain quest obstacles, this often opens up alternative means of completing quest objectives. (GI8)
    • TES:O will feature both public and instanced dungeons. Public dungeons are not separated from the regular world via instancing, and allow for organic cooperation, grouping, and even competition between players. Instanced dungeons also exist, which will deliver a more contained, story driven experience to a group of players. Public dungeons are excellent at providing “drive-by” social experiences with new players by facilitating spontaneous group formation with fellow gamers. (GI1),(GI3)
    • ZOS is designing to reward exploration with “vignettes” that are small events or challenges which are hidden off the beaten path around the world. (GI8)
    • Most small public dungeons located throughout the world are balanced to be challenging for 1.5 players, where they will provide a significant challenge for a solo player, but be comfortably clearable for a small group. (GSE3)
    • Endgame PvE will feature heroic modes of each of the game’s instanced dungeons, which are more than simply more difficult versions of the same content. These heroic dungeons extend the story of normal mode dungeons by adding a climactic and challenging endgame experience. In addition the game has large raids that pit multiple groups of players against powerful and iconic bosses. (GI1),(GI3),(GI8)
    • Quest rewards and public boss drops are individual specific and linked to the player’s class. This is to encourage grouping without penalizing players by forcing them to distribute shared loot. Additionally, many quest objectives are automatically shared with nearby players in the world to encourage cooperation, even if players don’t actually form a group. Furthermore, there are no kill lockouts. If you assist a fellow player in slaying monsters, both of you will recieve experience and quest credit even if you are not grouped. Zenimax wants to discourage competitiveness within ones own faction, and encourage players to work together against common enemies. (GI8),(PCG1)

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by MercArcher
    1) No because the higher level quests don't scale you up, except in WvW, you just scale down to the lower level quests.  Not the same.  In TES you go anywhere you like and do what you like, when you like.  There's no necessity to follow questlines in order to level, nor do you ever need to grind.

This just in, Fallout New Vegas is not a sand box because it doesn't scale you. Just try to go straight north right away.

Correct, FNV is not a sandbox, it is very linear.

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by MercArcher

Correct, FNV is not a sandbox, it is very linear.

I no think sandbox is what you think sandbox is.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

insert title announcement  here [...........................]  wait a while , someone pops out saying the game will suck  because its NOT their sandbox.Just like the header of this thread. As if thats the only valid way to create a successfull MMO

MMORPG Forums have become so predictibale its almost laughable if  it werent so sad. People begin to prebash the game without even knowing what it be like , but that doesnt matter  in  some ppl's mindset ... they didnt get choclate cake and now theyre all mimosa pudica.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Pumuckl71

insert title announcement  here [...........................]  wait a while , someone pops out saying the game will suck  because its NOT their sandbox.Just like the header of this thread. As if thats the only valid way to create a successfull MMO

MMORPG Forums have become so predictibale its almost laughable if  it werent so sad. People begin to prebash the game without even knowing what it be like , but that doesnt matter  in  some ppl's mindset ... they didnt get choclate cake and now theyre all mimosa pudica.

I agree, the forums are predicatable, especially when it comes to clueless trolls. Nobody is saying it will be bad simply because its not a sandbox. The complaint is that they are taking out all of the features that people enjoy in the TES games which already exist, including the sandbox features, and turning it into something completely different.

Its as I said earlier. Theyre not taking TES and adding the MMO part (which is what TES fans, and fans of similar style games, have always wanted). Instead theyre making a completely different game, and adding the TES name for one simple reason, because it will sell. They could have done the game theyre doing under any other name, and it wouldnt be a big deal, but the fact theyre using the TES name and making the game that they are is where the issue arises.

You would expect TESO to be somewhat more like an improved version of Darkfall or MO, not yet another spin off of WoW wrapped in a different skin.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Bainwalker
    Originally posted by Unreal024

I agree somewhat, but I disagree with you on a few things.

1. TES series are not sandbox games, so why should an ES MMO be?

2. The three faction PvP system sounds much better than FFA.

I could care less that it's going to play a lot like your standard themepark, what angers me is that it's doing away with FPV, twitch combat, housing, free form character progression and probably a whole lot more. It could still be a fun game, whether or not I decide to give it a go will depend on a few things, one being payment model.

You're wrong.  

TES was created to be a virtual WORLD.  Living breathing worlds do not have structured factions that limit you.  Worlds you are given the tools to do whatever you like.  Players would have created the factions.  Players would have created their own laws in regards to PKs.  

I wanted a...

There is nothing written anywhere that 'living breathing worlds' are based on a PvP model.

The TES games are actually PvE games. They have never gone into the PvP route, they have never even touched on that type of play (in the same way that other single RPGs like Red Dead Redemption have done for instance).

I think you are simply projecting your preferences and wants onto the definition of the meaning of 'living, breathing'. I would definitely say the TES games are exactly this, and they are stubbornly single player PvE. Bolting PvP onto the franchise now, in whatever form,  is going to leave it in a very strange place IMO and just further remove it from what many find so engaging about the single player games.

Personally, if this game was being created as an open world co-op PvE thing I would be all over it. In fact, if I am honest, I would just like them to stitch the worlds of all the TES games into one giant map, remove the main story arcs of each release, and let us play it all co-op with our friends as we like (acting more like NWN than an MMO). I think THAT would have been far closer to the spirit of TES than relying on PvP to provide cheap filler content.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

you need Darkfall Online.......

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

A few things to start off with...

Yeah a lot of people seem to think, and have from the very start, that TES: Online won't do any justice to anyone.  Mostly because the features list initially provided was basically the most common and boring style of MMORPG, some kind of TES-WoW with not as much content or anything as WoW.

Secondly, I agree with the people saying Open world, free roam do not equal sandbox.  Minecraft is an open world sandbox game.  Those are two different features which combine to make a great game.

Lastly, I would love an MMORPG with a TES setting and sandbox, open world features.  How about... We roll back to a time when the immigration of Nords to Skyrim was just beginning?  Essentially make it so that people are populating the untrodden world in it's youth, across all of the lands.  Maybe start with a few lands, give out the rest one by one as expansions, whatever.  So, we'd be allowed every common game race, we'd be starting our own villages, and would be creating the beginning of the TES world, at least that part of it.

I don't see sandbox working in any of the already made game setting.  I'm not gonna be able to start a new city in Morrowind without the Dunmer getting on my case, etc.  At least it would actually work more in Morrowind than Cyrodill or Skyrim.

Then again, I think they stated the states they were gonna have in TES: Online.  Elsweyer, and other two...?

All that said, the MMORPG must have a great plot to make the world of TES playable beyond the exploration aspect.  Nah it doesnt have to be sandbox, it just has to be good.  A lot of people have high expectations out of any TES game, heck so do I - I love Morrowind, I don't want a s**tty MMORPG ruining the genre!

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

• The game will adhere to genre standards like classes, experience points, and progression. The player will gain experience by slaying enemies, exploring the world, and completing quests or objectives within the world. (GI1),(GI11)
    • Elder Scrolls Online is designed to provide an experience that feels familiar to fans of the single player games, while providing deep and challenging MMO mechanics for veterans of the genre. (GI2)
    • The game world consists of most of the continent of Tamriel. Including the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, Elsweyr, Hammerfell, and Cyrodiil. (GI1),(GSE3)
    • Not all provinces will be fully included at launch, in order to reserve ares for use in game expansions. Zenimax Online wants to adhere to a high standard of quality for the areas which are included at release, therefore certain areas will be initially unexplorable.(GI1)
    • Players are restricted to exploring the lands of only their own faction, as well as the contested RvR area of Cyrodiil.(TWIT)
    • The in-game map will mark key locations, quests, and places of interest. Many caves, ruins, or dungeons will not become marked on the map until they are discovered by the player, or described by an NPC. (GI1)
    • A compass will help direct the player towards nearby towns, dungeons, and places of interest, this feature is intended to preserve the feeling of a traditional single player TES experience. The compass is one of many UI elements which may be disabled if the player prefers. (ME3),(GI8)
    • Key “touchstones” of the Elder Scrolls IP will all be present in the MMO. Daedric princes, eight divines (no Talos in TESO!), constellations, and spell schools will all be familiar elements. (GI3)
    • There will be a level cap, and ZOS expects it to take an average player approximately 120 hours of game-play to reach the cap. (GI1)
    • Quest areas are phased, such that depending on a player’s progress through the game’s story arcs he or she may experience a modified version of towns, dungeons, and NPCs. In order to avoid many of the past pitfalls of phased content, ZOS is allowing any player who has previously completed a story arc to repeat the content with friends. (GI1)
    • The Elder Scrolls Online cannot use the same real-time combat model that has been a feature of recent TES games. There are important technical reasons why this is not feasible, ranging from network latency to client security and cheating prevention. In order to preserve as much of the real-time “feel” as possible, the game’s combat focuses around the opportunistic use of a stamina bar which allows the player to sprint, block, interrupt, and escape crowd control. By selectively using these strategic abilities, combat in TES:O feels dynamic, despite adhering to turn-based fundamentals which are critical to MMO design. All classes have access to block, sprint, and crouch. (GI1),(PCG1)
    • A side effect of the stamina system is that groups are somewhat less restricted to utilizing rigid roles in composition. Since all players have the ability to block and escape crowd control, players are more responsible for their personal well-being and less reliant on a dedicated healer to carry them through fire. (GI1)
    • Almost all of the iconic opponents from previous Elder Scrolls games will be present in TESO, including daedra, giants, and mudcrabs! Each monster type has its own unique and distinct behaviors. (GI11),(PCG1)
    • “Aggro” tables of NPC enemies are less rigidly defined, and they may systematically switch targets in combat. This further emphasizes the need for players to assert personal responsibility for defending themselves in combat, rather than relying on traditional aggro management. (GI1)
    • Enemies are designed individually pose a challenge, and be more than “speedbumps” in the player’s quest. Groups of foes will work collectively to support each other and use control abilities to counter a player party. The behaviors of enemies in PvE are designed to mirror player classes. The same abilities and mechanics are therefore important for both PvE and PvP. It is an important design goal that combat versus monsters has the same feel as combat versus players. Monster AI is also designed to emulate player behavior; ranged attackers will fan out, sturdy meleers will protect fragile casters, and healers will seek cover behind other mobs. (GI1),(GI10),(PCG1)
    • It has been hinted that Lycanthropy and Vampirisim may be possible to contract in TES:O, although this has not been explicitly confirmed. (G4E3),(GSE3)

• Character advancement will revolve largely around “hubless quest design” in order to preserve the sense of freeform exploration and progression which is an iconic feature of the Elder Scrolls. The game uses focal “points of interest” which are self-contained adventure modules that players may encounter during their travels. Townsfolk will direct players towards nearby POIs, but Zenimax Online is trying to shy away from quest hubs and breadcrumb chains. Many NPCs can direct the player to the same quest, so the player can easily find nearby quests without needing floating exclamation marks or strategy guides. (GI1),(GI8)
    • The main story line of the game is balanced to be completely soloable, although the game is tailored to provide a social community experience. (ME3),(PCG1)
    • Many quests are simple bite-sized adventures, however there are also quest sagas which span entire zones and tell grand tales which reveal segments of the overarching plot line of the game. (GI1)
    • There exist certain quest choices which mold your character as a result of your decisions. The outcome of certain quests will cause a tangible impact on areas of the world. (G4E3),(GI8)
    • Speechcraft exists in the game, and can be used to “short-circuit” or sidestep certain quest obstacles, this often opens up alternative means of completing quest objectives. (GI8)
    • TES:O will feature both public and instanced dungeons. Public dungeons are not separated from the regular world via instancing, and allow for organic cooperation, grouping, and even competition between players. Instanced dungeons also exist, which will deliver a more contained, story driven experience to a group of players. Public dungeons are excellent at providing “drive-by” social experiences with new players by facilitating spontaneous group formation with fellow gamers. (GI1),(GI3)
    • ZOS is designing to reward exploration with “vignettes” that are small events or challenges which are hidden off the beaten path around the world. (GI8)
    • Most small public dungeons located throughout the world are balanced to be challenging for 1.5 players, where they will provide a significant challenge for a solo player, but be comfortably clearable for a small group. (GSE3)
    • Endgame PvE will feature heroic modes of each of the game’s instanced dungeons, which are more than simply more difficult versions of the same content. These heroic dungeons extend the story of normal mode dungeons by adding a climactic and challenging endgame experience. In addition the game has large raids that pit multiple groups of players against powerful and iconic bosses. (GI1),(GI3),(GI8)
    • Quest rewards and public boss drops are individual specific and linked to the player’s class. This is to encourage grouping without penalizing players by forcing them to distribute shared loot. Additionally, many quest objectives are automatically shared with nearby players in the world to encourage cooperation, even if players don’t actually form a group. Furthermore, there are no kill lockouts. If you assist a fellow player in slaying monsters, both of you will recieve experience and quest credit even if you are not grouped. Zenimax wants to discourage competitiveness within ones own faction, and encourage players to work together against common enemies. (GI8),(PCG1)

Thank you~

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Tanon

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very word sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

Nexusmods says otherwise.

seriously? thats your comment?

the mod sais so! the game was a sandbox!

yea, unless you realize what a mod is ^^

open word != sandbox. but that's the main prob on this forum. people call for things they know a shit about and are dissapointed when they dont get what they never understood in the first place.

that's how trolls are born.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Tanon

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very word sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

Nexusmods says otherwise.

seriously? thats your comment?

the mod sais so! the game was a sandbox!

yea, unless you realize what a mod is ^^

open word != sandbox. but that's the main prob on this forum. people call for things they know a shit about and are dissapointed when they dont get what they never understood in the first place.

that's how trolls are born.

The fact is you are argueing semantics anyways. We can all agree  that even if you dont think TES is a sandbox it certainly has SOME sandbox qualities and those are defining qualities to the game series and they are NOT being included in the mmo version. That is the point of this thread that you and others keep trying to hijack and turn into a thread about the definition of the term "sandbox."

It is absolute fact that the MMO game is taking away  the freedoms that gamers associate with this title. Stop hijacking and deal with the topic please. 

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

It began after wow conquered the world. As time was growing on its back and starting to fell tiring about the cheese on the wheel that was set, ppl heard about DDO.A month later we walked back home.Some time later on Lotr appeared .Same story.Some time later on AOC appeared.I was sure this time i wa sleaving wow for good.Then vanguard came on.WAs thrilled with so many classes possible to create...Shoit,back again...Then aoc came.I wa ssure this time i wa sleaving wow for good...Bloody hell..was wrong again.Back to the chair..

Rift? same story..something wasnt right...Biggest let down though was with GW2. All these nice animations n effects,swift packed combat..ah wait they forgot to make it mmorpg and instead they made it a join when u feel like if u r bored u dont pay sub anwy excuse of a game. Well this time i didnt bought the crap story. didnt throwed any money to them,others did feel sorry for them,but i saw this coming heh.

About this TES mmorpg try now..Hmm dont know why but i have a fewling despice it has nothing to do with skyrim in gameplay, or freedom and depth of exploration like in morrowind,the depth of creating characters that es series have, that even as a themepark style it will have some good high standards to offer to players.Dont know why, its a hunch. Besides wow was a themepark but it was way more real and less instanced than the latest thing (gw2).Maybe we we will get a good surprise this time ,despice all that rail of failure we ve been expiriencing all the last years heh.

• sandboxysandboxy Member Posts: 153
    I wonder which is going to be more popular: TESO or the mod that connects Morrowind+Oblivion+Skyrim (all of it using Skyrim graphics).
    Originally posted by sandboxy
    I wonder which is going to be more popular: TESO or the mod that connects Morrowind+Oblivion+Skyrim (all of it using Skyrim graphics).

This is what I was saying before.

Remove the main stories, stitch the maps together with the same engine, and allow locally hosted co-op play, and this game could be the next Day Z (if that makes sense).

If this project had followed this more NWN route then I would have been all over it. What I didn't need was just another slight variation on the same old theme.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Thane:

Could be worse, I've seen people on these forums claim everquest of all games is a sandbox (its the game that spawned the term themepark)

Eve is a sandbox
    Uo is a sandbox
    Minecraft is a sandbox

Vanilla skyrim, oblivion and Morrowind contain sandbox elements put are not pure sandboxes, although I would argue skyrim + hearthfire is a sandbox.

What we know of TESO,it sounds like a daoc clone (not a wow clone). Now daoc was an open world with no instancing, which according to some definitions here makes it a "sandbox". It wasn't of course it was a open ended themepark with sandbox elements as are unmodded single player tes games.
  • sandboxysandboxy Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Remove the main stories, stitch the maps together with the same engine, and allow locally hosted co-op play, and this game could be the next Day Z (if that makes sense).

If this project had followed this more NWN route then I would have been all over it. What I didn't need was just another slight variation on the same old theme.

I think co-op mod for Oblivion also works in Morroblivion already. Its something at least.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

I agree, the forums are predicatable, especially when it comes to clueless trolls. Nobody is saying it will be bad simply because its not a sandbox. The complaint is that they are taking out all of the features that people enjoy in the TES games which already exist, including the sandbox features, and turning it into something completely different.

Its as I said earlier. Theyre not taking TES and adding the MMO part (which is what TES fans, and fans of similar style games, have always wanted). Instead theyre making a completely different game, and adding the TES name for one simple reason, because it will sell. They could have done the game theyre doing under any other name, and it wouldnt be a big deal, but the fact theyre using the TES name and making the game that they are is where the issue arises.

You would expect TESO to be somewhat more like an improved version of Darkfall or MO, not yet another spin off of WoW wrapped in a different skin.

What makes you think that the same sandbox provided in the singleplayer TES will work out in TESO ?

Just because you wanna have it your way  and cant stomach limitations...thats childish, theres a whole section for pvp

if you not satisfied with  that ..well  ...same old posts by the same old ppl...predictable.

i played all the titles from tthe PC 486era  ARENA till todays Skyrim and i never wanted Teso to turn into Darkfall like nor a WoW [insert waht you like] thing . You folks are actualy only good at one thing : talking  eveything into shit .

please dont refer to TES fans in general  because im one ...and im definatly not on your page.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I think co-op mod for Oblivion also works in Morroblivion already. Its something at least.

Lets hope the success of that spurs them on the greater things, or at least attracts the attention of Beth :)

A version of TES built under this model, with all the features of the expacks (which now ofc features housing) AND the modding community available, would be almost the perfect co-op game in my eyes.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I disagree, too hard to make these claims based on concepts/designs until you have tried them out to see how it feels.  It may surprise you and feel right... It may not.  If not... bu-bye!
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

What makes you think that the same sandbox provided in the singleplayer TES will work out in TESO ?

Just because you wanna have it your way  and cant stomach limitations...thats childish, theres a whole section for pvp

if you not satisfied with  that ..well  ...same old posts by the same old ppl...predictable.

i played all the titles from tthe PC 486era  ARENA till todays Skyrim and i never wanted Teso to turn into Darkfall like nor a WoW [insert waht you like] thing . You folks are actualy only good at one thing : talking  eveything into shit .

please dont refer to TES fans in general  because im one ...and im definatly not on your page.

What makes me think it would work? Simple. ITS BEEN DONE ALREADY. They keep spouting off nonsense about things like technical limitations preventing this feature and that feature from being put in, yet weve already seen those features used in other games and they work just fine.

Why cant the twitchy combat system be put in and instead theyre using a tab targetting system? According to them, because of technical limitations. According to several other games, like Darkfall, it very clearer can be done.

Its funny how you claim to be a fan of the series, yet youre perfectly satisfied that theyre making somehing that is nothing at all like any of the previous games. I'd really love to hear the logic behind that, as well as how you think that it is anything besides a blatant cash grab for the IP itself rather than being developed as an actual TES MMO with at least the great majority of the features people enjoy TES games for.

What makes me think it would work? Simple. ITS BEEN DONE ALREADY. They keep spouting off nonsense about things like technical limitations preventing this feature and that feature from being put in, yet weve already seen those features used in other games and they work just fine.

Why cant the twitchy combat system be put in and instead theyre using a tab targetting system? According to them, because of technical limitations. According to several other games, like Darkfall, it very clearer can be done.

Its funny how you claim to be a fan of the series, yet youre perfectly satisfied that theyre making somehing that is nothing at all like any of the previous games. I'd really love to hear the logic behind that, as well as how you think that it is anything besides a blatant cash grab for the IP itself rather than being developed as an actual TES MMO with at least the great majority of the features people enjoy TES games for.

i dont claim ... i am...can you get that in your head ? Proly not ...but i dont care  honestly.

Do you know how the gamemechs work in TESO? No you dont ...but you make an awefull lot of noise.Have you had any expirience with this UNRELEASED game yet ? definatly not  , but hey you  most likely designed so many games yourself  that you can shit  talk  down to an not released  mmo  .

Well i could go on here , we could discuss this  back and forth...and with the nature of this thread things will proly get fugly (not from my side) so i step out  Kaiser ...you have much fun

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Consequence

The fact is you are argueing semantics anyways. We can all agree  that even if you dont think TES is a sandbox it certainly has SOME sandbox qualities and those are defining qualities to the game series and they are NOT being included in the mmo version. That is the point of this thread that you and others keep trying to hijack and turn into a thread about the definition of the term "sandbox."

It is absolute fact that the MMO game is taking away  the freedoms that gamers associate with this title. Stop hijacking and deal with the topic please. 

deal with the topic?

i did, there are 3 questions in the topic, i argued on the first one being wrong.

sorry that i dont agree with you, but that's my opinion. point of an argument most of the time is having 2 sides discussing DIFERENT opinions. you dont wanna hear mine? bad luck. try monologues.

it's a fact that ALL elder scroll games are open world games with quite the clear outcome. no sandbox here. 

the only important "quality" of a sandbox game is to give you the freedom to do what you want, for the reasons you want.

example skyrim: kill dragons! free skyrim!

sorry to burst your bubble, but that's a story driven open world game. not a sandbox.

as said above, main prob of this community are the people who cry for features they dont know anything about.

"give us sandbox! sandbox are cool! read than on reddit!" yea whatever dude. i can remember only a few sandbox games at all. and only one of those was like really successful.

"i want x and y because my buddies will see what i ask for and think i am cool" simply does not work out when i am around, sorry.

uh, and i totaly see why they didnt go for a FFA pvp setting. simply because they want to make money.

you want ffa pvp? k, get your items, some gold, a nice mount. then me and my buddies will come, kill you, take your valuables and hide behind the walls our guild offers with it, and you will never see it again :)

happy now that it only took you a year to get your stuff while we took it in 10 secs? 

and for the fps style combat, thought that could be improved anyway, skyrims combat system (2 active skills.. seriously....) was abit flawed anyway.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

i dont claim ... i am...can you get that in your head ? Proly not ...but i dont care  honestly.

Do you know how the gamemechs work in TESO? No you dont ...but you make an awefull lot of noise.Have you had any expirience with this UNRELEASED game yet ? definatly not  , but hey you  most likely designed so many games yourself  that you can shit  talk  down to an not released  mmo  .

Well i could go on here , we could discuss this  back and forth...and with the nature of this thread things will proly get fugly (not from my side) so i step out  Kaiser ...you have much fun

Its quite simple.

Step 1 - Gain reading comprehension skills

Step 2 - Read the freaking info the devs themselves have released about combat & mechanics (such as no FPS / twitch combat, tab targetting, etc)

Step 3 - Be enlightended

If reading is too much trouble, do stuff like watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDPuaU1xgY

Interview with 3 devs going into detail about the combat. The majority of what they discuss is identical to combat in GW2 with the addition of manual blocking.

Dodging works similar to GW2

They have a Synergy system which works exactly the same as GW2 Combo fields (ie: mage throwing down a fire circle and someone with a sword doing a whirlwhind attack and shooting fireballs)

Small number of skills on hotbar specific to certain uses (ie: 1st few are weapon skills, then healing skill, etc)  = same as GW2

Static skills linked to weapons themselves = same as GW2

Circles on the ground for AoE / Synergy fields = same as GW2

So yeah, people may be wrong about it being a WoW-clone, but its starting to look like we will get our first official GW2 clone (especially in regards to combat mechanics / interface). But thats not a bad thing IMO. I like GW2 myself, and it sounds like they may actually be improving a bit on some of the things from GW2 and adding in a few extra features / changes that would have made GW2 even better. Im not saying at all that it will be a bad game. In fact I think it may just turn out to be pretty damn good if its an improved version of GW2 and I will likely be buying it if it's still looking good closer to release time.

But this discussion wasnt about the game being good or bad. It was about it not being like the existing TES games, which it clearly is not. This same exact game could have been made without TES name / IP attached to it, and it would likely actually be getting lots of hype and great anticipation just like GW2. But choosing to attach TES IP to it, and making it nothing like TES is why there is so much complaining.

Originally posted by Thane
    uh, and i totaly see why they didnt go for a FFA pvp setting. simply because they want to make money.

you want ffa pvp? k, get your items, some gold, a nice mount. then me and my buddies will come, kill you, take your valuables and hide behind the walls our guild offers with it, and you will never see it again :)

happy now that it only took you a year to get your stuff while we took it in 10 secs? 

Your 1st mistake is thinking of FFA PvP in terms of being put into a game like WoW with long gear grinds. Hate to break it to you, but that would be completely idiotic, and is exactly why they dont do that in any FFA full loot PvP games.

Do you think it takes people long to get gear in Darkfall? Not at all. Within a few weeks you have a bank loaded with dozens and dozens of sets of backup equipment. I was on DF earlier today. Spent maybe 90 minutes gathering some resources, then another 20 or so making approx 25 bows and 10 swords because I was running short on those particular ranks of those weapons in my bank.

So now, Ill run out, get killed, lose a bow and sword. Oh the horror, i only have 2 dozen more sitting and waiting for me when I respawn. Thats just those particular weapons too. Ive got bags organized based on weapon type (bow, 2h sword, 1h sword, polearms, knives, etc) and then by rank (quality), and a whole other set of alredy enchanted gear bags. Ive amassed a couple hundred weapons and I just returned to the game recently (like less than a week ago) on a brand new character.

Losing gear in these FFA full loot games is not nearly as bad as people try to make it out to be. Gear in these games is not like gear in WoW and similar games. Even if you go out with a full durability weapon to farm, and dont lose it by getting killed, that weapon is only going to last you a few hours at the most because it will break. All gear is expendable, and only the very best are worth getting upset over. But even those are fairly easy to replace after investing a bit of time into crafting, saving up money, etc.