Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlearning conventions. You won't need them here.

MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I really had to unlearn quests. Once I filled the hearts I was all "What do i do now?"

Also had to learn something new. Stick around after a DE and check the area, you might have to talk to an npc to continue the chain.

What did you have to unlearn/relearn during the weekend?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

For me, the combat. Don't just stand there and spam your abilities. You have to move or you die. For the first 2 or 3 hours I was like wtf this game is hard. I was and plan on playing a thief and until I realized that, I was feeling turned off to be honest, but then I slowed down a little and decided to be more tactical and to actually watch the enemy was doing, decided to use my ranged weapons too, and that's when I started to come out of fights with 90% of my health instead of 10%.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Saying thank you. Its still great to say, but this game is so multiplayer based that people are always helping others.  I have to adjust to "helpful game play" being normal and not just the rarity.  

Helping others rocks.  

• Originally posted by kanezfan

For me, the combat. Don't just stand there and spam your abilities. You have to move or you die. For the first 2 or 3 hours I was like wtf this game is hard. I was and plan on playing a thief and until I realized that, I was feeling turned off to be honest, but then I slowed down a little and decided to be more tactical and to actually watch the enemy was doing, decided to use my ranged weapons too, and that's when I started to come out of fights with 90% of my health instead of 10%.

For me it was more about learning to slow down instead of unlearning anything.  Started out like a kid in a candy store trying everything as fast as possible and dying a lot.

Once I settled on a few classes I also found ranged easier just because I got a chance to see stuff that was just lost in the up close fights.  I think this was mainly because of not knowing what to watch for until you've experienced it a few times.

I've promised myself that next BWE I'm sticking to one character until Sunday - then I can mess around with a few more professions.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    The best thing to do in GW2 is to just explore.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

What a great thread ! And the comments so very true.

IMO the best way to approach the game....let it come to you.Go slow.Experiament.Explore.Don't try to level.Let the game pull you into the world.Rember you are a lowbie.What you see at level 5 is not what you could be at level 80.Go to the mists and become a level 80 in the class you are interested in.See what the class can be.

most of all...stop playing a game and just join the world

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I had to unlearn Melee while moving. Too much Rift

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I had to unlearn Melee while moving. Too much Rift

Unlearn or learn?? image

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    ya every class i played i could activate all my abilities while moving that was something i had to un-learn i was insttinctively holding still waiting for the progress bar to fill.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Moving while in combat.  I've never played an MMO with that mechanic.

I also learned that I love WvWvW.  That was a big step for me as I usually avoid PvP.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by dontadow

Saying thank you. Its still great to say, but this game is so multiplayer based that people are always helping others.  I have to adjust to "helpful game play" being normal and not just the rarity.  

Helping others rocks.  

Same here. Knee jerk reaction was to get annoyed that someone was in the area running through and hitting what I was fighting. Took me a bit to get over the hostility, although mob healths seemed almost to low in the early stages to support multiple people fighting them. After I got passed my feelings of possesiveness, me and the wife started tailing others when we saw them running and it became really fun working as a duo outside the group.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Originally posted by evolver1972

I also learned that I love WvWvW.  That was a big step for me as I usually avoid PvP.

You sir have not played enough MMO's :) (this is towards the moving comment)

Back on topic, the one thing I had to get used to was that I did not have to run back and forth between locations when I grabbed my personal story quests. I could merely teleport to the general vicenity of where I need to go with a click of a button. I know this is in GW1 as well but it just feels so convenient!

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87
    The game truly plays better when you play with a group.  It's not that you can't solo, or that in situations where you come home late from work and just want to relax and play, and thus you solo because that's easy, its just that the game plays better when you play with a group.  I have a number of issues, and i think that the game needs work in a number of areas, but i found generally that i was pretty happy when i played to the strengths of the profession within a group setting moreso than when I solo'd.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Not sure if serious :P?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Getting used to an MMO without a global cooldown, and realizing skills still activate even if out of range.  I need to get used to that.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by observer

Getting used to an MMO without a global cooldown, and realizing skills still activate even if out of range.  I need to get used to that.

Yea, that was one of the bigger issues for me. Especially with ranged weapons. On my theif, I kept firing off abilities before I got in range and would waste initiative. I kind of got used to use it for the most part but the would still mess up sometimes.

Also, I had to literally force myself to not stop when I saw the cast bar for certain abilities. As in many games I played you would distrupt those abilities if you move.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Double post.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Definately helping other people, the last time I did that was in EvE. Race to a friends rescue who was being ganked but held out till I got there and we wiped the floor.

I got rezzed many times by players taking big risks rezzing me right in front of  a keep gate with oil being poured on them but still doing it. Seeing that kind of teamwork made me pay it forward and take enormous risks to help other people myself I found myself playing less selfishly and thinking about the team more than myself. You are forced to think this way to get anything done in WvWvW. You will get nothing done by yourself absolutely nothing.

We were trying to take the middle keep and were struggling to do it so I sacrificed and created a seige golem (they are ***in expensive as all ****) and helped them take down the re-inforced gate to get in. (I spent everything I had basically) that kind of feeling is not something that has happened to me since I played EvE years ago.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Distopia

Not sure if serious :P?

Dead serious.  I played (still play) GW1 - can't move in combat.  I'm still playing LotRO - can sort of move in combat.  Meaning I can move and auto attack but can't move when using real skills.  Wizard 101 (hey I got kids ok?) you just stand in your little circle.  And Mytheon (which I thought sucked) I don't think you could move in that one.

Since I refuse to subscribe to a game, that has severly limited my options in the past.  I have tested a couple games (WoW being one) that are subs and some I could move in combat but I never played them for any length of time.

Just to be clear, I've never played and MMO with that mechanic.  I've played plenty of SP games with that mechanic.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I had to unlearn being an asshole and letting people die because they might get pissed if I help them. I had to learn to be a hero, abandoning my fight to come to the aid of someoen else.

• I actually started mostly ignoring the "heart" stuff.  You kind of wind up making progress on them whether you try to or not and should really concentrate on the other ancillary stuff going on.

The hearts are jsut there for filler.  There are almost always 3 or more dynamic events around the heart stuff itself.  Especailly after level 10

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

i had to relearn almost all aspect of an mmorpg cause lately almost everything are like wow but GW2 changes that grt job 

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Sythion

I had to unlearn being an asshole and letting people die because they might get pissed if I help them. I had to learn to be a hero, abandoning my fight to come to the aid of someoen else.

I had to unlearn not to be just pissed when I saw someone outside my guild around me ...the last few games I played company was someone  either trying to steal my kill or my loot ,,,,,what a fresh feeling to actually enjoy meeting new folks

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

I was used to getting 2-shotted by bosses in GW1 ... and used to Dodgerolling from DCOU.  So I figured I was going into it really well prepared for everything.  And I did well despite the lag, But I think the Biggest thing I WASN'T prepared for though and had to learn or unlearn was the Rezzing mechanics. 

In Gw1 I'm used to just running Unyileding Aura, or rezzing safely out of range with Rebirth & Scrolls.   But Events started to fail b/c I was too afraid to run into the fray where the melees all died and touch-range Rez them but I knew I wouldn't have enough time to pull it off. And  I was already doing SO much rezzing of the ranged players too right out of the gate so I thought there was NO WAY I could ever hope to save both groups.   And it wasn't even until the final day that it occured to me that I could WarHorn Speedbuff myself and then Rez stuff twice as fast.  

At that point a lot of things changed and I started planning my Rez timing a lot better ...  leaving downed players downed until my Buffs were recharged, and kiting the mobs out and CC'ing them to keep them away so the downed player could extend his own life with the #4 skill.  Prior to that I was really not enjoying the Rezzing stuff but now it makes a lot more sense.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by iller

I was used to getting 2-shotted by bosses in GW1 ... and used to Dodgerolling from DCOU.  So I figured I was going into it really well prepared for everything.  And I did well despite the lag, But I think the Biggest thing I WASN'T prepared for though and had to learn or unlearn was the Rezzing mechanics. 

In Gw1 I'm used to just running Unyileding Aura, or rezzing safely out of range with Rebirth & Scrolls.   But Events started to fail b/c I was too afraid to run into the fray where the melees all died and touch-range Rez them but I knew I wouldn't have enough time to pull it off. And  I was already doing SO much rezzing of the ranged players too right out of the gate so I thought there was NO WAY I could ever hope to save both groups.   And it wasn't even until the final day that it occured to me that I could WarHorn Speedbuff myself and then Rez stuff twice as fast.  

At that point a lot of things changed and I started planning my Rez timing a lot better ...  leaving downed players downed until my Buffs were recharged, and kiting the mobs out and CC'ing them to keep them away so the downed player could extend his own life with the #4 skill.  Prior to that I was really not enjoying the Rezzing stuff but now it makes a lot more sense.

I found that I could res someone halfway, get agro, kite, let someone else get agro and finish the second half of the res when it was less dangerous. That was something completely foreign to me.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by iller

You can't.  Swiftness only boosts movement speed.  You can however use Quickening Zephyr and res twice as fast for 4 seconds.

Or use the pet utility to have both you and your pet res the person (twice as fast).

Or use the Ranger elite to AoE rally everyone near it.