Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account Security and Restoration

TylerTechTylerTech Member Posts: 3

Greetings,

Have NCsoft/Arenanet annouced anything about the measures they will take for account security and restroration for hacked accounts? I hate to say it but their track record with account security is the one thing that makes me not want to support this game and put my time into it.

Also how are they planning the support the game, currently their are no official forums or contact info.

It seems now days every MMO comes with some sort of option for RSA authintication or other advance forms of security, I would be intrested to hear what they plan to implement.

Signed-

A fan.

Comments

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

I would also like to see answer to these questions.

I know in Guildwars they would not restore hacked accounts and it was painful to deal with their customer support.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

http://support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/993/kw/security/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzNTgxMzY4OC9zaWQvS2U0ZkRZV2s=

As of right now it looks like they have no good security in place and they won't be doing restores if your account is hacked.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD

Still no news on this and people have been making comments and posts about it on their Twitter and Facebook...

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

I think they'll be using location based security for accounts.

Anet said they are working on account security methods, but they are not ready to talk about it.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

What do I do if I've been hacked?

If you find evidence that a virus, keylogger, or Trojan is installed on your computer system, you should first run a full virus scan on your computer using your anti-virus software to “clean” your system of the infection. Once you are sure your computer is no longer infected, you will then want to change all of your passwords, such as all game accounts, e-mail, and message boards.

If you feel that your game accounts have already been compromised, you will want to contact NCsoft support as soon as you are sure your computer is clean so that we can review your accounts for any possible unauthorized intrusions.

First, you'll need to resecure your account. If you still have access to your NCsoft master account, please change all your passwords and hint questions and answers immediately:

How much of a detailed answer do you want?  I never had any problems recovering my GW account details after contacting them.

At the end of the day its down to account holders to ensure they have done everything they can to ensure your account is not vunerable to hacks or unauthorised access.  How many people have forum accounts using the same email as their game accounts? Where do you think hackers and spam emailers get you emails from? I had my WoW account hacked because I downloaded an addon from Curse, stayed away from that site ever since.

Seriously some people are asking for trouble, because they don't think for themselves.  Anet or any other company is not responsible for the security of your account if the source is through your own hardware, and they have every right to turn around and say tuff your own fault.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I got my GW account hacked. I had no problem with customer support or recovering my account. Support was fast and competent.

They did not however restore the stuff the hacker stole.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

I was never hacked. Ever. It's not possible if you remotely know what you're doing. Here are a few tips to guarantee you will never need to contat customer suport about hacking :)

1. Never tell your password to anyone, even your wife/children/closest friend

2. Use a password other than "password" :) Preferably alphanumeric - It does not *have* to be insanely difficult really, unless you know you will be targeted specifically by a hacker group or the government.

3. Do not use bots.. doesn't matter if torrented or bought, bots are almost always shipped with keyloggers.

4. Do not run suspicious looking .exe files you downloaded from fishy sources, unless you know what you are doing.

5. Use a decent antivirus, Avast has not failed me yet in over 6 years, no need for anything more fancy.

6. Do not use the same pass for multiple games/sites/forums.

That's pretty much it, can't think of anything else, it's common sense really, if people did this, 99% of the wannabe-hackers would be out of a job. Real hackers don't bother with MMO's lol.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by gladosrev2

I was never hacked. Ever. It's not possible if you remotely know what you're doing. Here are a few tips to guarantee you will never need to contat customer suport about hacking :)

1. Never tell your password to anyone, even your wife/children/closest friend

2. Use a password other than "password" :) Preferably alphanumeric - It does not *have* to be insanely difficult really, unless you know you will be targeted specifically by a hacker group or the government.

3. Do not use bots.. doesn't matter if torrented or bought, bots are almost always shipped with keyloggers.

4. Do not run suspicious looking .exe files you downloaded from fishy sources, unless you know what you are doing.

5. Use a decent antivirus, Avast has not failed me yet in over 6 years, no need for anything more fancy.

6. Do not use the same pass for multiple games/sites/forums.

That's pretty much it, can't think of anything else, it's common sense really, if people did this, 99% of the wannabe-hackers would be out of a job. Real hackers don't bother with MMO's lol.

Did all of those things (´cept I use Comodo), but I stupidly used my regular public mail adress as login.

Don´t make that misstake folks. I got it hacked after 5 years, only game I ever got hacked but I don´t blame ANET. If hackers have your login they can hack your account even if it is more work than just getting everything from a phising mail.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Arenanet added an account restoration option for GW1 accounts hacked after October last year. Your whole account gets rolled back to a date before it was compromized. I see no reason why they wont have the same technology in place for GW2.