Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO Awakening Update #5 Now Available

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

New update now up.  The FG was tasked with 40 topics to cover from the two new patches from last week, with some specified focus areas:

"Some of the testing activity and changes from the last week includes:

• Creature taming

• Controlling and dominating creatures and pets

• User interface for the new skill book, spell book and pet interface

• Weapon tweaks

• Armor buffs

• Prediction update"

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/74763-focus-group-community-update-week-5-a.html

Interesting stuff in there about some of the FG self-assessment and procedures.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

[Mod Edit]

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by ilives

[Mod Edit]

Perhaps not the meatiest of updates, but it was good to hear more about the processes of the Focus Group, and some of the emphasis they've had on bugs, as well as on testing new content.  It was also interesting to read that there are a few secret things about Awakening that the Focus Group doesn't even get to see.  I hope whatever that is gets adequately tested.

In any event, it sounds like the new GUI is being increasingly implemented and put through its paces.  The old UI does need to be replaced, no question.  The changes to pets will also be welcome.

• TranquillitiTranquilliti Member Posts: 29

Hey rohn,

Will you actually need to feed pets come awakening, or do they still just eat the /food that we pull out of our ass? 

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Tranquilliti

Hey rohn,

Will you actually need to feed pets come awakening, or do they still just eat the /food that we pull out of our ass? 

To be honest there should be a limit to realistic features. If MO keeps adding such, soon it will be real life simulator, where you will spend time farming food, sleeping, training, developing such skills as jumping, rather than you know.. play the game. I duno about you, but I play games for the sake of something I can't do in real life, not to have it completely mirror it.

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

"soon it will be real life simulator, where you will spend time farming food, sleeping, training"

Hopefully.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by realnaste

"soon it will be real life simulator, where you will spend time farming food, sleeping, training"

Hopefully.

I'm with Toferio on this one:

It is supposed to be a game, you know, something we do to have fun. For all those wanting ultra-realistic features such as having to sleep for 8 hours, eat/drink at regular intervals and other such "features", they already have a game like that: It's called real life. You all should give it a try...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

"something we do to have fun."

People consider diferent things fun.

For instance- some like arcade, some prefere simulators.

Of course more will go arcade than sim, but that does not mean no one should make simulators right?

I personally like realism (before silly people go "this is a fantasy game derp", by realism I mean believability), since, in my opinion, it offers a lot more in a sandbox.

Being able to actually make a plantation of something, or a need to have farms to sustain your guilds NPC population would be cool features in my bookas opposed to limmiting the sources of stuff to just killing another mob for anything you might need.

"You all should give it a try..."

It's overhyped, and has a shitty ending, plus I like to roll mages.

"something we do to have fun."

People consider diferent things fun.

For instance- some like arcade, some prefere simulators.

Of course more will go arcade than sim, but that does not mean no one should make simulators right?

I personally like realism (before silly people go "this is a fantasy game derp", by realism I mean believability), since, in my opinion, it offers a lot more in a sandbox.

Being able to actually make a plantation of something, or a need to have farms to sustain your guilds NPC population would be cool features in my bookas opposed to limmiting the sources of stuff to just killing another mob for anything you might need.

"You all should give it a try..."

It's overhyped, and has a shitty ending, plus I like to roll mages.

I agree with Realnaste - everyone has different opinions on what they think is fun.

Using this as an example, it appears that Tranquilliti, Realnaste, and myself, would like to see real food for mounts.  As such, I think it's a valid preference.

By the same token, Toferio and Kakasaki would prefer notional food, which I believe is also a valid preference.

The conundrum for game design is which way to go when opinions vary.  I don't think anyone would say that it would break the game if it went one way or the other, so I guess SV has to go with whichever design they believe fits best into the overall concept of the game.

As far as whether or not this will be added with Awakening, I haven't heard.  Still, with the need for tools and such being added to the game, it appears that taming/creature control/domination is going to become more of an involved process, so I wouldn't be surprised if food isn't part of that equation.

Well, I would agree that tangible food for pets is prefered, however I mostly spoke out in general that such features should not be dominating over "fun" ones, whatever people consider as fun. I would take a stab in the dark that majority prefer action (fight, gardening, exploration, crafting) above preparation (sleep, eating, training, gathering) time wise.

While I agree that minor realistic features make game more interesting, they should not be the majority of the game, despite rare exceptions who seems to enjoy it.

While what constitue "too much realism" varies from person to person, what I was trying to say is that realism can be taken to far and actually get in the way of "fun". I have been in forums were gamers have longed for having a game that makes characters have to use the bathroom, eat 3 meals a day and other such realistic activities. While such features would add realism to any game, can anyone truly say such features would add to the game's fun factor?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Well. Naturally you can go too far with anything.
    Still I think having to provide real food for pets would be a good thing and, if done correctly a nice balancing mechanic, specially later when (if?) we have large areas of different climate. Proper preparation in order to visit the desert could be vital!
    For me this would be fun.
    Of course no one wants to "sleep 8 hours" in game. Still sleeping is in MO and I don't find the implementation of that mechanic annoying.

• PrinceReperPrinceReper Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by PReaperMO

The test team is two dozen, most who are on at different times. All their previous Epic Patches and Expansions have been disasters.  Is there any doubt how this will end?

I don't know who you but to just make it clear. I am princereaper from mortal online and this person is in no way assoicated with me.

Awakening is going to be great :D why? because what over game do you have flying mobs :O and actual real AI guards.

It been 2 years but the game is finally coming along, finally the PVE content is ready to be rolled out and MO won't be so empty anymore, but the game has been in "released beta" for over 2 years now so its nice to see the teams work come to fruitation evne if the ride itself has been very bumpy. Even with the slow painful development, I have not experinced any other game like mortal online to date, it totally changed my views on mmoprgs and I can't wait for awakening to be released and start raiding towns :D

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by kakasaki

While what constitue "too much realism" varies from person to person, what I was trying to say is that realism can be taken to far and actually get in the way of "fun". I have been in forums were gamers have longed for having a game that makes characters have to use the bathroom, eat 3 meals a day and other such realistic activities. While such features would add realism to any game, can anyone truly say such features would add to the game's fun factor?

One of the worlds most successfull game series The Sims had this and more. So yeah, I guess its room for this and more in a MMO.

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by Tranquilliti

Hey rohn,

To be honest there should be a limit to realistic features. If MO keeps adding such, soon it will be real life simulator, where you will spend time farming food, sleeping, training, developing such skills as jumping, rather than you know.. play the game. I duno about you, but I play games for the sake of something I can't do in real life, not to have it completely mirror it.

Are you a troll, or one of starvaults incompetent programmers? How is having to feed a horse/pet ACTUAL food too realistic, too boring and too hardcore? Its a simple feature, you simply make people feed there pets the same food the game already has, nothing to drastic or hardcore right here. It should of been in the game since thestart, I guess anything which takes the game away from being able to gear up with the best "gear" and get some quick pvp is to hardcore for you guys.You are honestly just crazy, I guess you have to be quite insane to actually play the game in its current state.  

Originally posted by PrinceReper

The test team is two dozen, most who are on at different times. All their previous Epic Patches and Expansions have been disasters.  Is there any doubt how this will end?

Awakening is going to be great :D why? because what over game do you have flying mobs :O and actual real AI guards.

Seriously?

Well ladies and gentlemen I think that just about sums it up.  Both of these "revolutionary" items have existed in other games for a decade (or more).  It's obvious that some people just have such a limited experience that they believe everything that SV tells them.

Just about sums it up? Thats a conclusion right there buddy. :)

Awakening is going to be great :D why? because what over game do you have flying mobs :O 

Is this supposed to be a joke? Even WoW has flying mobs.

I have not experinced any other game like mortal online to date,

That above I think many, including me, can agree with. I have yet to experince a more unprofessionally made game.

it totally changed my views on mmoprgs 

That too I agree with. Will be a while when I will trust indie developer to get MMO out.

Originally posted by Norpan

One of the worlds most successfull game series The Sims had this and more. So yeah, I guess its room for this and more in a MMO.

Two completly diffefrent types of games. The Sims lacked any sort of combat or any sort of rpg elements that are characteristic of an mmo. When the Sims tried to go the mmo route (sims online), the game failed and was closed. So yeah, I'd say the two types of gameplay are incompatible as they attract different type of players...

Two completly diffefrent types of games. The Sims lacked any sort of combat or any sort of rpg elements that are characteristic of an mmo. When the Sims tried to go the mmo route (sims online), the game failed and was closed. So yeah, I'd say the two types of gameplay are incompatible as they attract different type of players...

It's irrelevant.  As stated, it's based on preference and whether or not it fits.  The majority of people responding so far in this thread appear to want real food for mounts, so it's probably not a "wrong" choice.  And it seems to fit within the design context of the game.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Rohn

It's irrelevant.  As stated, it's based on preference and whether or not it fits.  The majority of people responding so far in this thread appear to want real food for mounts, so it's probably not a "wrong" choice.  And it seems to fit within the design context of the game.

Speaking for myself i couldnt care less if they where about to add a feature such as feeding pets to sustain them to life. I dont think it will add anything to the fun factor though. My concern would be if they where about to add a feature like that to be well designed, functional, bugless, full and decently implemented ingame. Unfortunately i cant think of a feature that came ingame and it was fully functional.

No one expects from a game that likes in general that it will be a perfect fit to its tastes. So one might play and enjoy a game with features that he may not like or he/she considers worthless. But no one can play and enjoy a game that all features are non fuctional, worthless, poorly designed and implemented and from the other hand lacks fundamental features. I hope you get my point.

All depending. The process of getting the proper food could be a fun mechanic for gatherers and something that adds to economy.

Also, pets are a free, homing DPS. Having a certain "upkeep" for them surely isn't such a bad idea? <-part of the balancing I mentioned.

Originally posted by argirop

Originally posted by Rohn

Speaking for myself i couldnt care less if they where about to add a feature such as feeding pets to sustain them to life. I dont think it will add anything to the fun factor though. My concern would be if they where about to add a feature like that to be well designed, functional, bugless, full and decently implemented ingame. Unfortunately i cant think of a feature that came ingame and it was fully functional.

No one expects from a game that likes in general that it will be a perfect fit to its tastes. So one might play and enjoy a game with features that he may not like or he/she considers worthless. But no one can play and enjoy a game that all features are non fuctional, worthless, poorly designed and implemented and from the other hand lacks fundamental features. I hope you get my point.

Without exception, the determination of what is "non-fuctional (sic), worthless, poorly designed and implemented" are opinions that vary in degree.  Obviously, not everyone agrees, which is the point.

Personally, I'm glad that they are planning to add more meat to taming, no pun intended.  As for the rest of the update, it's also good that bugs are being worked on, though not the primary focus of Awakening.

All depending. The process of getting the proper food could be a fun mechanic for gatherers and something that adds to economy.

Also, pets are a free, homing DPS. Having a certain "upkeep" for them surely isn't such a bad idea? <-part of the balancing I mentioned.

Again, I agree on all points.  Gatherers and cooks benefit, as would the economy as a result, which goes hand in hand with sandbox game design.

A little deeper gameplay for the tamer/creature controller would be nice as well, and would also likely be a balancing factor, along with the need for tools to tame or control pets.

I have a hunter/tamer character, so I'm definitely interested in what these things bring to the game.

The best part we are having this debate here like it's promised and all the details are laid out XD

I seem to  have confused some of you. I was talking in a broad, grand-scheme of things and not necessarily about pets feeding or MO in general. My fault for going off-topic...

Regarding pets and MO, I think it would be cool to have a feature that allows players to improve pet/mount abilities by crafting and feeding them certain foods. As long as it is not mandatory to feed your mount/pet for it to stay alive...

I seem to  have confused some of you. I was talking in a broad, grand-scheme of things and not necessarily about pets feeding or MO in general. My fault for going off-topic...

It's mmorpg.com, there should be an achievement for staying on topic for three pages since OP :p