Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you resist buying a game?

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I ask this because I know people who will buy every game that comes out, even when all signs point to it being a catastrophic failure. I used to be one of those "buy every game" people. So, I want to know what PC games (non-mmo or mmo) that you have succesfully resisted buying and promise never to buy for any price. I'll go first:

Dragon Age 2

Mass Effect 3

Tera

Risen 2 (thank you meta critic/users!)

Comments

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I can now... but back in the day, I was a sucker for shiny new boxes. Thank God for Downloads =p

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    It's easy for me. No game interests me these days.
  • Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

I did bought a lot of games in the past but at that time a good number were actually good.

Nowadays it's different, I try to watch out because there is a lot of crap being sold as good game.

So don't believe the hype. !!

Edit: I might have gotten older , maybe back in the days i liked a lot of crap and remember of it as good game :)

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by jpnole

I ask this because I know people who will buy every game that comes out, even when all signs point to it being a catastrophic failure. I used to be one of those "buy every game" people. So, I want to know what PC games (non-mmo or mmo) that you have succesfully resisted buying and promise never to buy for any price. I'll go first:

Dragon Age 2

Mass Effect 3

Tera

Risen 2 (thank you meta critic/users!)

That's a lot of money O.O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_video_gaming

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'm currently resisting Tera big time even though my friends are playing it.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

i bought me3 and swotor  last month   knowing  how bad swtor  was but it was the ce box half price  . and worsr part  that money was for a flight to go see a friend this month  im so going to be in the bad books .

i used to buy every thing then aoc  killed that for me  now i wait months first  befor buying

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I actually dont buy many games at all anymore. Over the course of the last 5 years, gaming has gone way up in price, and way down in value in my opinion. Its not worth $60, sometimes more, for a game that I'll be over and done with in a matter of a few days, and thats IF the game is good enough to be interesting that long.

As for MMOs, its easy to resist new MMOs for me, since most of the new ones that come out follow the WoW formula, which I'm not particularly fond of.

• OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41
    I resist much better than i did back when I mainly played console games, they were much cheaper new, and you could usually find used ones. And maybe it is just me, but is seems that their used to be many more good games available all the time. And you used to not worry so much about a game being sold in a unfinished state of production. Wow, I didn't start out  meaning to whine and complain so much. Sorry, it just kind of rolled out.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

I can do that, especially if I'm really broke or not totally interested to play the game

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

i can but its hard, I hated Tera and had no plans to make it a game I played but on release day I sat at the buy now page for the game all day agonizing over it, eventually i will powered my way out of it but it was tough

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Only did that with games I had to have, but even today I'm skipping Diablo 3 and ME 3, every popular shooter, and Skyrim.

Basically skipped every game that came out this year.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Let's see,  I skipped War, Aion, LoTR, Rift, SWTOR, many other MMO's(no need to list them all by name), lots of single player titles, and I'll be skipping all the foreseeable future titles except Arche Age - if it ever comes to the US.    Nothing I've seen, not Tera, Firefall, GW2, TSW, TESO etc, etc, etc even remotely looks good.  Just more of the same old same old.  I have WoW for that...why waste my time on games that aren't even half the game WoW is.  Add Mist of Pandara to WoW and I'm set for MMO's until Arche Age.    Plus I have Skyrim, and Mount and Blade Warband to keep me happy.   

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I can.. But not if they're sequals to things i love.

I avoided plenty of new MMO's, i prefer just waiting for the reviews to come in and it to be out for a few months.

But for example Diablo 3.. I played 1 and 2 religiously as a kid, and even though i hate the idea of a real money auction houe and always having to be online to play, i bought it anyway. :x

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I only buy online games and that's once every few years. Last one was TF2.

I don't have a lot of money and when I buy a €40 game I know only €5 goes to the developer (or much less) perhaps €10 to the publisher (FUCK them) and €20 to the retailer/store (why should I pay them?)

So yes, I can resist. I'm the master actually. I felt the hype of Star Wars The Old Republic and now Diablo 3. I refused to buy also because I know tgey both suck. (EA and DRM)

I don't even buy Bethasda games although I LOVE them. I wish developers had a donate button on their website; I would gladly donate €10 (that's double what they get from a sale) to good developers.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It was a long time ago I tried to buy every single game I saw. Last games for me (that I bought) is GW2 and Crusader kings 2.

Currently is D3 on my avoid list, unless they decide to scrap the RMTAH. Nothing against the game in itself and loved the first Diablo but stuff like always needing to be connected and using auctionhouses with real money in something I either would play singleplayer or LAN at a buddies house is a nono.

On could wonder BTW that I seen many the same people saying that GW2 don't work since it can´t make money without monthly fees but also think it is great that Blizzard host all peoples Diablo games online and that is no problem economical...

But I can easily resist buying a game nowadays, I just buy games I really want.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Personally i resisted me3, but then the wife HAD to have it so i caved and got it for her....she still complains about it months later.

Caved and purchased final fantasy BIG mistake.

Have not purchased a mmo since.

Wife purchased Skyrim for me on ps3 and I was PISSED.
    1. I did not want it on console
    2. They are known for bugs at release
    3. I wanted it on PC!

It froze constantly on ps3 and now I have a paper weight.

I purchased it this month on PC and I am loving it.

Resisted purchase on ALL other games=) most of it is crap you can rent and finish in a day or 2.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I can resist buying them, but I eventualy go for them most recently Deus EX HR. Still when they are in 5-15€ range I buy those. On other hand I have had hard time with Indie Bundles, gotten them cause they are cheap, and haven't played most of games. Now I have titles on Steam I look at and go why do I have this?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I have only bought one game in the last ten years on release (WoW)....... I like ot wait and get more info on games and wait for the price to go down.....To be honest I dont think I've missed a single thing using this approach and it certainly saves alot of money and agony.

• I really enjoyed playing Dragon Age: Origin but after some of my friends told me about the awfull mess about Dragon Age 2 I decide to skip it.

The first Assassins Creed was great but the was a huge cliff hanger in the game, so I did want to play the rest of the games. A shame really.

Call of duty modern warfare (The first one) was great and had a good story and cool multiplayer. I got also Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but I did not enjoy the singleplayer and the multiplayer as much as the first one. So I stopped there. Now I play Battlefield 3.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Before I buy a game now, I try to find it on Ytube to see if there has been any video posted. 

Its a good way to check out a game, how it looks, and how it plays by watching the video.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

It's easy for me to skip games because I'm not really interested in single player games and for MMOs and other multi-player games (fighting, party games, etc) not only do I have to have friends that are going to purchase but even then I have to have had a positive experience trying the game out (preferably a live trial and not just beta) before I'd be willing to purchase.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Single games i dont usally buy but mmos i find it very hard to resist preordering and buying but i finally have said no to GW2 and tera and D3.

But sadly most of the rest if they are sub games i will still buy

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Ive managed to resist two main games due abouit now;

Tera- mainly because Im bored of the level to 50 with quests and optional group content mmos, but also because I have stacks of Steam games ive bought in thier Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter sales, that I must get through soon. Skipped Tera to do this.

Star Wars Galaxies 2 - I have managed to resist this instant purvchase, no matter what happens, mmo game. Ive resisted this because no one has even thought of making a second version yet !!! Bring back mmos were greouping is a desire by the people not a hassle. Bring back the days when mmos had a reason for grinding to max level on each profession, and gave you reason to try all different combos of professions like as in Star Wars Galaxies !!!

I have only bought one near full [price game this year apart from SWTOR, and that was Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Left4Dead 2

The game never brought something new to the table and was released way to fast after L4D 1.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I'd only need to resist if I actually felt I wanted to try it out, not a lot of games do that for me anymore so no i have not really resisted any game I did debate tera for a while but meh I got virtually a 20% discount from where I bought it.